First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Gender Stereotypes
Posted 9/7/12 , edited 9/7/12

swordstyle wrote:


tia-dalma wrote:


And, again, no one asked you to do that. And you don't have to deny it - you excluded them when you generalized the way you did. The thing is, I understand perfectly well that people generalize the majority and state it as though they stand for all - I know what they're doing. I'M saying it's not right because, again, that is how stereotypes are made.

I'm not going to ask you to clarify something you blatantly said. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but that's the way you phrased it - something you already said was a mistake, so why even bother defending it now and making it seem like I WAS exaggerating? You were the one who said exactly what I thought you did in the first place.

lol Really? Let me get this straight. You knew what I was saying from the start, but you chose to take it out of context and blow it out of proportion because you didn't like how I worded it? And more bad news for you, stereotypes are made because there is truth to them. Not because people word statements improperly. And even the most incompetent of fools knows that stereotypes aren't ironclad guides to a gender, race, or religion. If someone uses a stereotype against you, that's just because it's a convenient weapon. Not because you fall in to a category and therefore comply with said stereotype. And if you get upset by the use of said stereotype, well then you just justified its use. And by the way, after talking about "denying someone's existence" and "excluding their LIFE" why even bother defending it now and making it seem like you WEREN'T exaggerating?



Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that just because I know what someone means by something, I should still stand by and act like it's right. >_> No, unfortunately, wrong is wrong and I think that's something you need to come to terms with.

If you believe that, this conversation is going nowhere, so this is my last reply to you. It's a lot easier to create a stereotype than you might think, because we leave that up to the majority, and like the popular saying goes, "If Abercrombie & Fitch told people it was unpopular to breathe, 99% of the population would die." Yet, according to you, it is correct to some extent because "it has to hold some truth to it." Meanwhile, who's to say Abercrombie and Fitch weren't high as shit when they said that? Who's to say that wasn't a rumor to start with? There are so many reasons why it may not hold ANY truth to it, but because the majority believes it, it must be right. You're funny. I bet you'd be one of if not the first to go.

Good night.

17332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/7/12
equality may never be fully accepted in society but just like racism is bad the are are people who make racist or sexist jokes or stereotypes sometimes not to offend but just as a joke so i wouldn't take stereotypes as such a problem
61873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 9/7/12

tia-dalma wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that just because I know what someone means by something, I should still stand by and act like it's right. >_> No, unfortunately, wrong is wrong and I think that's something you need to come to terms with.

If you believe that, this conversation is going nowhere, so this is my last reply to you. It's a lot easier to create a stereotype than you might think, because we leave that up to the majority, and like the popular saying goes, "If Abercrombie & Fitch told people it was unpopular to breathe, 99% of the population would die." Yet, according to you, it is correct to some extent because "it has to hold some truth to it." Honestly? You're funny. I bet you'd be one of if not the first to go.

Good night.

You seem to be confused....again. Generally when you know what someone means by something, you respond directly to what that person is saying. Which is exactly what you would have done, had you known. But it's become increasingly obvious that you simply back peddled and claimed you knew what I was talking about to avoid looking foolish when in fact, you had no clue.

And no, it's actually not easy at all to create a stereotype. Because in order for a stereotype to exist, it has to be known by an enormous number of people. So it's impossible for some guy going around "wording statements improperly" to create one unless he has an insanely huge audience. And even then, if there's no truth to it, it won't stick. Might become a meme at best.

And as far as your A&F statement, you just murdered what small amount of credibility you had right there. One, that's not a stereotype. It's nothing more than a jab at preppy kids who wear the clothing line. A stereotype would be more along the lines of "Rich white kids wear A&F" It's sad that you were confused by something so simple. And two, it has absolutely no truth to it what so ever. If A&F told people it was unpopular to breathe, there would not be one single death.

Kids like being popular and wearing the latest brands. Once upon a time, I myself was such a kid. But no kid who just wants to look cool, is going to commit suicide just to fit in with the pack. Now if A&F told kids it was cool to smoke cigarettes, that could happen. Because the negative effects aren't immediate. But even then, it's still not a stereotype.

Anyway, I don't blame you for calling it quits. Considering how easily I refuted all of your feeble assumptions and exaggerations. I'd probably be done with it too. I hope we can have a more pleasant conversation in the future :-)
Posted 9/7/12 , edited 9/7/12

swordstyle wrote:


tia-dalma wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that just because I know what someone means by something, I should still stand by and act like it's right. >_> No, unfortunately, wrong is wrong and I think that's something you need to come to terms with.

If you believe that, this conversation is going nowhere, so this is my last reply to you. It's a lot easier to create a stereotype than you might think, because we leave that up to the majority, and like the popular saying goes, "If Abercrombie & Fitch told people it was unpopular to breathe, 99% of the population would die." Yet, according to you, it is correct to some extent because "it has to hold some truth to it." Honestly? You're funny. I bet you'd be one of if not the first to go.

Good night.

You seem to be confused....again. Generally when you know what someone means by something, you respond directly to what that person is saying. Which is exactly what you would have done, had you known. But it's become increasingly obvious that you simply back peddled and claimed you knew what I was talking about to avoid looking foolish when in fact, you had no clue.

And no, it's actually not easy at all to create a stereotype. Because in order for a stereotype to exist, it has to be known by an enormous number of people. So it's impossible for some guy going around "wording statements improperly" to create one unless he has an insanely huge audience. And even then, if there's no truth to it, it won't stick. Might become a meme at best.

And as far as your A&F statement, you just murdered what small amount of credibility you had right there. One, that's not a stereotype. It's nothing more than a jab at preppy kids who wear the clothing line. A stereotype would be more along the lines of "Rich white kids wear A&F" It's sad that you were confused by something so simple. And two, it has absolutely no truth to it what so ever. If A&F told people it was unpopular to breathe, there would not be one single death.

Kids like being popular and wearing the latest brands. Once upon a time, I myself was such a kid. But no kid who just wants to look cool, is going to commit suicide just to fit in with the pack. Now if A&F told kids it was cool to smoke cigarettes, that could happen. Because the negative effects aren't immediate. But even then, it's still not a stereotype.

Anyway, I don't blame you for calling it quits. Considering how easily I refuted all of your feeble assumptions and exaggerations. I'd probably be done with it too. I hope we can have a more pleasant conversation in the future :-)


MWAHAHAHA, FATALITY! YOU WIN! FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12

swordstyle wrote:


tia-dalma wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess that just because I know what someone means by something, I should still stand by and act like it's right. >_> No, unfortunately, wrong is wrong and I think that's something you need to come to terms with.

If you believe that, this conversation is going nowhere, so this is my last reply to you. It's a lot easier to create a stereotype than you might think, because we leave that up to the majority, and like the popular saying goes, "If Abercrombie & Fitch told people it was unpopular to breathe, 99% of the population would die." Yet, according to you, it is correct to some extent because "it has to hold some truth to it." Honestly? You're funny. I bet you'd be one of if not the first to go.

Good night.

You seem to be confused....again. Generally when you know what someone means by something, you respond directly to what that person is saying. Which is exactly what you would have done, had you known. But it's become increasingly obvious that you simply back peddled and claimed you knew what I was talking about to avoid looking foolish when in fact, you had no clue.

And no, it's actually not easy at all to create a stereotype. Because in order for a stereotype to exist, it has to be known by an enormous number of people. So it's impossible for some guy going around "wording statements improperly" to create one unless he has an insanely huge audience. And even then, if there's no truth to it, it won't stick. Might become a meme at best.

And as far as your A&F statement, you just murdered what small amount of credibility you had right there. One, that's not a stereotype. It's nothing more than a jab at preppy kids who wear the clothing line. A stereotype would be more along the lines of "Rich white kids wear A&F" It's sad that you were confused by something so simple. And two, it has absolutely no truth to it what so ever. If A&F told people it was unpopular to breathe, there would not be one single death.

Kids like being popular and wearing the latest brands. Once upon a time, I myself was such a kid. But no kid who just wants to look cool, is going to commit suicide just to fit in with the pack. Now if A&F told kids it was cool to smoke cigarettes, that could happen. Because the negative effects aren't immediate. But even then, it's still not a stereotype.

Anyway, I don't blame you for calling it quits. Considering how easily I refuted all of your feeble assumptions and exaggerations. I'd probably be done with it too. I hope we can have a more pleasant conversation in the future :-)


So now you prefer to call me a liar, instead of assuming that I just don't want others to feel alienated and excluded for not being a part of the world according to your words? Honestly, if you have to call me a liar instead of accepting the truth, you may as well be debating with yourself.

There's more than one way to get a piece of information. It's called the media. If a number of people read something in a widely-known magazine, they may start to believe it.

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.

I feel like unless you put that theory to the test, which I highly doubt you have, you wouldn't really know that, would you? You might like to think they wouldn't go that far, but the truth is, kids have shot up schools because they saw it in some video game and assumed doing so would make them cool. It's all because something right in front of them gave them that idea. Would you really be willing to take the risk of finding out? If so, by all means, please find a way to make that happen.

You don't need to take words out of my mouth, because I never said I was leaving because of that. I don't quite understand your need to do that. : / Fortunately, I find it difficult to walk away from something I believe in.



61873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 9/8/12

tia-dalma wrote:

So now you prefer to call me a liar, instead of assuming that I just don't want others to feel alienated and excluded for not being a part of the world according to your words? Honestly, if you have to call me a liar instead of accepting the truth, you may as well be debating with yourself.

There's more than one way to get a piece of information. It's called the media. If a number of people read something in a widely-known magazine, they may start to believe it.

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.

I feel like unless you put that theory to the test, which I highly doubt you have, you wouldn't really know that, would you? You might like to think they wouldn't go that far, but the truth is, kids have shot up schools because they saw it in some video game and assumed doing so would make them cool. It's all because something right in front of them gave them that idea. Would you really be willing to take the risk of finding out? If so, by all means, please find a way to make that happen.

You don't need to take words out of my mouth, because I never said I was leaving because of that. I don't quite understand your need to do that. : / Fortunately, I find it difficult to walk away from something I believe in.



Ah, you're back. You know who doesn't like being called a liar? Liars. But it is slightly amusing how you can tell me that I'm so incompetent that I would die if A&F told me to, but if I call you a liar because all of your back peddling, well that's just wrong. And again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by your confusion. Just because a larger number of people believe something, that doesn't make it a stereotype. A stereotype is the belief that a specific gender, race, or religion behaves a certain way or believes or prefers a certain thing. Believing that A&F wearers would go die if they were told to is not, and never could be a stereotype. It simply does not meet the necessary criteria.

And no, I don't need to test any theories. In the same way I don't need to test my theory that if go jump off my roof, I'll land on the ground. Nice try, though. Attempting to make it impossible for you to be proven wrong. If the subject matter wasn't so completely ignorant, it might have worked. And once again, no. No student has ever shot up a school because he saw it in a video game. And you even attempting to make such a foolish point is solid proof that you are an imbecile, too incompetent to even attempt making a valid point.

Yes, kids have shot up schools. Because they saw it in a video game and thought it was cool? I can't even comprehend the level of idiocy it took for you to say that. Kids have shot up schools because they were mentally unstable and wanted to hurt people. They weren't expecting to go back to school and get fist bumps from their peers the next day. They went with the intention of killing as many people as possible and then putting themselves out of their own misery.

Seriously, this is not something I say lightly. And really I wish this didn't need to be said at all but, you're an idiot. I'm not saying that to be mean, or just to insult you. You honestly just lack intelligence. And not only that, you're the worst kind of idiot. Because you are so uncompromisingly stupid, that you are simply incapable of comprehending how stupid you actually are. Worse yet, you honest to God believe in your own mind that you are saying something intelligent.

So as always, I refuted your feeble points directly. But with this latest batch of nonsense, you have proven unworthy of a response from me. You likely wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyway. I would have better luck explaining quantum physics a cat. So by all means, continue to post some random gibberish. I won't even bother reading it.



8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 9/8/12

tia-dalma wrote:

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.


You cannot be serious.

Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12

swordstyle wrote:


tia-dalma wrote:

So now you prefer to call me a liar, instead of assuming that I just don't want others to feel alienated and excluded for not being a part of the world according to your words? Honestly, if you have to call me a liar instead of accepting the truth, you may as well be debating with yourself.

There's more than one way to get a piece of information. It's called the media. If a number of people read something in a widely-known magazine, they may start to believe it.

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.

I feel like unless you put that theory to the test, which I highly doubt you have, you wouldn't really know that, would you? You might like to think they wouldn't go that far, but the truth is, kids have shot up schools because they saw it in some video game and assumed doing so would make them cool. It's all because something right in front of them gave them that idea. Would you really be willing to take the risk of finding out? If so, by all means, please find a way to make that happen.

You don't need to take words out of my mouth, because I never said I was leaving because of that. I don't quite understand your need to do that. : / Fortunately, I find it difficult to walk away from something I believe in.



Ah, you're back. You know who doesn't like being called a liar? Liars. But it is slightly amusing how you can tell me that I'm so incompetent that I would die if A&F told me to, but if I call you a liar because all of your back peddling, well that's just wrong. And again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by your confusion. Just because a larger number of people believe something, that doesn't make it a stereotype. A stereotype is the belief that a specific gender, race, or religion behaves a certain way or believes or prefers a certain thing. Believing that A&F wearers would go die if they were told to is not, and never could be a stereotype. It simply does not meet the necessary criteria.

And no, I don't need to test any theories. In the same way I don't need to test my theory that if go jump off my roof, I'll land on the ground. Nice try, though. Attempting to make it impossible for you to be proven wrong. If the subject matter wasn't so completely ignorant, it might have worked. And once again, no. No student has ever shot up a school because he saw it in a video game. And you even attempting to make such a foolish point is solid proof that you are an imbecile, too incompetent to even attempt making a valid point.

Yes, kids have shot up schools. Because they saw it in a video game and thought it was cool? I can't even comprehend the level of idiocy it took for you to say that. Kids have shot up schools because they were mentally unstable and wanted to hurt people. They weren't expecting to go back to school and get fist bumps from their peers the next day. They went with the intention of killing as many people as possible and then putting themselves out of their own misery.

Seriously, this is not something I say lightly. And really I wish this didn't need to be said at all but, you're an idiot. I'm not saying that to be mean, or just to insult you. You honestly just lack intelligence. And not only that, you're the worst kind of idiot. Because you are so uncompromisingly stupid, that you are simply incapable of comprehending how stupid you actually are. Worse yet, you honest to God believe in your own mind that you are saying something intelligent.

So as always, I refuted your feeble points directly. But with this latest batch of nonsense, you have proven unworthy of a response from me. You likely wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyway. I would have better luck explaining quantum physics a cat. So by all means, continue to post some random gibberish. I won't even bother reading it.





I feel like the difference there is that one could be true, and I said it could be, but not that it was; I know what my purpose is for doing what I'm doing. That's not what stereotype means:

Stereotype - "A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

If you were wrong about that which you plainly were, I have to wonder what ELSE a know-it-all like you is wrong about?

Tell me what would not be widely held, fixed, and oversimplified about a whole country having the IDEA that breathing would make someone unpopular?

I think you do before you tell someone they're wrong - quite honestly, you don't KNOW that otherwise, so you don't have the right to come in here telling me that you do. That would never hold up in a court of law and it sure isn't happening here. : / If you aren't sure how things work (which I'll assume you aren't because you have not proven it. You just keep sitting on your high horse and saying it, and that means nothing,) you have to test a theory before you can even attempt to write it off as fact. That's the logical way to do things, at least - no matter how ludicrous it may seem to you. A lot of things in history have initially seemed that way, but were they indeed true? Absolutely.

Are you sure about that? Again, please back things up before you say them - I admit that I didn't do that when I said that. But there are many who would agree that the media can and has at least helped in persuading kids to do things like that. What you see is what you do, of which you're the living proof. I guess you never saw the thread about some kid watching an episode of Naruto and dying after trying to bury himself in the sand - I at least believe he probably didn't KNOW BETTER, thought it might produce the result he was expecting, and that's why he did it. People do crazy things - I feel like I shouldn't need to say that when the news does every single day. At some point in time, a large population of people were convinced that others didn't belong based on their hair and skin color and tried to wipe that entire race out because a man told them they should. What more do you need, sir?

The rest of what you say is crass because all you've done is sit here and tell me I'm wrong, wrong, wrong without providing any sources as to WHY, yet you want to call me an idiot. : / At least I'm not some closed minded asshole who goes around thinking he's right about everything simply because what the other person is saying is so far off from what they believe.. If your definition of idiot is myself, then I'd rather be one than be you any day. And people wonder why we can't right the wrongs of the world when so many people like you appear to be stuck on them. Good bye then - I've come to terms with the fact that I can't persuade someone who won't even listen, and if you don't want to do that, I'm better off; I really don't and never did want you here. Just saying.




Winterfells wrote:


tia-dalma wrote:

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.


You cannot be serious.



Why can't I? Please don't turn into another one of those people knocking beliefs with no evidence.
Posted 9/8/12
Burp excuse me NOT!
Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12


Ignore all of the argumentative cunts on this site. Ever since my main account got banned back in early June, the forums have become infested with judgmental, hypocritical, bigoted, sociopathic bastards. It only happened since I got banned due to the fact that I usually scared them off so that only decent people were around, but yeah, I got banned, 'cos around here they're not keen on profanity and insults, even if the person it is aimed at deserves it for being a pretentious half-wit.

So do try to avoid replying to the many arseholes on this site, dear.
4419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / ICQ: 114629959
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
Stereotypes are a wonderful concept . They can save you from exhausting thinking processes.
42596 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
It's mostly a cultural thing. Women behave differently among different cultures. For example in many parts of Northern China, the women are the loud, angry bossy ones and handle all the money. Where as often is the case that men are slightly shy and a bit reserved.

Your surroundings making you what you are. People, economic climate, laws, traditions, even food.

That help?
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 9/8/12

tia-dalma wrote:

Why can't I? Please don't turn into another one of those people knocking beliefs with no evidence.


Whoa there lady. Is it not slightly ironic that you call me "one of those people knocking beliefs with no evidence?"

I mean, your point is based on a made-up scenario (and a poor one at that).


tia-dalma wrote:

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.


Uhh, that's not a fact, statistic, study, nada. You even used the phrase "I believe." Please don't call accuse other people of "knocking beliefs" with no evidence, when your debate against swordstyle consists mainly of a ridiculous scenario, personal opinion, and hyperbole.

If you think that "kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular" because a teenage clothing brand said so, well - I'd like to know who your dealer is and what he's been selling to you.


wrote:

Ignore all of the argumentative cunts on this site. Ever since my main account got banned back in early June, the forums have become infested with judgmental, hypocritical, bigoted, sociopathic bastards. It only happened since I got banned due to the fact that I usually scared them off so that only decent people were around, but yeah, I got banned, 'cos around here they're not keen on profanity and insults, even if the person it is aimed at deserves it for being a pretentious half-wit.

So do try to avoid replying to the many arseholes on this site, dear.


Oh nice, internet tough guy + white knight combo. God I love CR.

Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12

Winterfells wrote:


tia-dalma wrote:

Why can't I? Please don't turn into another one of those people knocking beliefs with no evidence.


Whoa there lady. Is it not slightly ironic that you call me "one of those people knocking beliefs with no evidence?"

I mean, your point is based on a made-up scenario (and a poor one at that).


tia-dalma wrote:

My entire point was that if Abercrombie and Fitch made that statement, and that statement was publicized which it most likely would be, I believe it would become a stereotype - kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular.


Uhh, that's not a fact, statistic, study, nada. You even used the phrase "I believe." Please don't call accuse other people of "knocking beliefs" with no evidence, when your debate against swordstyle consists mainly of a ridiculous scenario, personal opinion, and hyperbole.

If you think that "kids would probably start believing breathing makes you unpopular" because a teenage clothing brand said so, well - I'd like to know who your dealer is and what he's been selling to you.





I didn't call you that. I said, "Please don't become one of those people." But evidently, you, just like the last fellow I've spoken to, are not telling me why that COULDN'T happen. : / If it was a belief and he was knocking it which he clearly was, I am going to call him out on it as I'm doing with you. It doesn't have to be a study, fact (at least not a known one,) or a statistic to be able to happen. So by all means, keep flinging insults as you do versus acting like a mature adult. It's working out so well for you already.



42463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Home
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
The only difference between men and woman are like reproduction cells and one has a dick one dosent, thats all. Ive heard in some jobs a guy would get paid more than a woman and that isnt fair, I know for are generation its hard to see things equal, but this has gone on for how long now? Ive always heard "guys are better than girls" "no girls are better" and so on so on its annoying. We should be treated as equals and be respected the same, whats the point in not doing that? Like how most people think girls cant play video games. I play video games all the time, is there anything wrong with that? No, would there be wrong with a guy wanting to play with a doll? No...but anyway both genders should be respected the same and paid the same, given the same work.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.