Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why don't they finish anime series?
17079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Sierra Vista, AZ
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
What is it with anime series not being finished? Most of the best shows I've watched so far stop at two seasons, with the story no where near finished - Ah! My Goddess, Rosario + Vampire, Ai Yori Aoshi, Spice and Wolf, Sekirei (though there still seems to be some hope for this one). All of these shows were popular (at least from what I've read about them), yet they don't finish them.

I've only recently started watching anime again, and was wondering how common this is. It's really frustrating getting pulled into a story and not getting a conclusion.
59625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 9/8/12

Sadly because they weren't profitable enough.




16005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/8/12
Often the source material doesn't really allow for it. The Ah! My Goddess manga is still running, and has been since 1988. And Spice and Wolf just ended last year, while the anime were airing back in 2008 (plus the light novel series went downhill after book 5, the end of season 2 in the anime, but that's my personal opinion).

Hard to put an ending to something to something that hasn't finished yet. Not that it hasn't happened before- Negima and FMA anime both made up their own endings, but they were nowhere near as good as the actual manga endings turned out.
20658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
First they aren't being watched, Second the Manga has to be done first. Look at High School of the Dead season 2everybody wants the anime but the Manga not's done.but I disagree about Rosario and Vampire. I was happy with the ending even thogh there's a hint of whats to come.Dont forget there are probally seasons like there are in America TV.If a season is too long just I do agree maybe there should be just an OVA or final movie to close the deal.One of my favorites is FLCL great crazy episodes that didnt make sense sometimes but you had a conclusion somewhat even though there was a hint of more to be followed up with.
17079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Sierra Vista, AZ
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
I guess I have to get into the manga then, though I prefer the anime format. I didn't know that "Ah! My Goddess" was still running. I must have tastes that differ greatly from the masses, because I have the same issue with the few American shows I've liked - Angel, Farscape, and Firefly, to name a few.
50747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 9/8/12

mellickson wrote:

I guess I have to get into the manga then, though I prefer the anime format. I didn't know that "Ah! My Goddess" was still running. I must have tastes that differ greatly from the masses, because I have the same issue with the few American shows I've liked - Angel, Farscape, and Firefly, to name a few.


Never seen Angel, but Farscape had a good ending (Plus the movie answers the other questions if you haven't seen it)

Firefly, the best Space Western ever made (Star Trek wasn't a Western, but an opera, although it wanted to be a western) never got the ending the fans wanted because it was too damn expensive to make. A single episode was in the millions of dollars to produce. However, there was enough money made on DVD sales to have a movie made (Serenity), but that still left a lot of questions unanswered.

There is some hopeful news for Firefly though. Nathan Fillion is trying to get enough money raised to buy the rights of the show from Fox. He says that he has the money from his own pocket and from other investors to actually make the show, he just doesn't have any money left over to actually buy the rights to the show.

Now back to the anime you listed. Others in this thread have already answered why each of those didn't continue, but I would like to add that what else could happen is a direct to video release (OVA or OAV) came out that you missed. So there may have actually been an ending created but since it didn't air on TV you missed it. Its always best to check sites like My Anime List, Anime News Network, or AnimeDB to make sure that you aren't missing out on any releases related to the show.
40059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
Its the business model in Japan. You have to pay to put your anime on the air. Your real money maker is your manga and assorted collectibles. Unless your anime is insanely popular, aka Naruto, its probably only set for a one or two season run. The anime is just meant to get you interested enough to go get the manga. Occasionally, the popularity of the series will cause the studio to reconsider and release the manga ending, as was the case with Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist.
64451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 9/8/12
ah my goddess a lot of season so i'm pretty content with that anime...
734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/9/12
Budget.

That is all.
The Wise Wizard
67727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/9/12

mellickson wrote:

What is it with anime series not being finished? Most of the best shows I've watched so far stop at two seasons, with the story no where near finished - Ah! My Goddess, Rosario + Vampire, Ai Yori Aoshi, Spice and Wolf, Sekirei (though there still seems to be some hope for this one). All of these shows were popular (at least from what I've read about them), yet they don't finish them.

I've only recently started watching anime again, and was wondering how common this is. It's really frustrating getting pulled into a story and not getting a conclusion.

Unfortunately, it is quite common.

The only anime that live or die by ratings are those long running anime that air during daytime (primarily evening) hours. For late night anime, which includes most if not all of those you listed, it is all about DVD/BD sales, boosting sales of the source material, merchandise sales, or a combination of these.

That means if the series doesn't sell enough BD/DVD sales, was an original anime, and had no merchandise, no additional series.

If it was based on a manga, light novel, etc.., and that saw a boost, that could be enough for their to be another series even if DVD/BD sales were not that good. By contrast, even if the sales saw a healthy boost, but only early in the airing of the series, the publisher might expect another series would gain little for them.

The same would be true for merchandise sales.

Except for BD/DVD sales, late night anime is essentially an ad (and even then, the aired anime is essentially an ad for the DVD/BD, although obviously there has to be an anime to put on the discs). If the companies that have a vested interest in that "ad" believe either it didn't do its job or completed it, there would be no additional series unless someone else footed the bill.

Finally, there are also going to be those series that seem to hit on all cylinders, but for some other reason behind the scenes we are not privy to, don't get another series.

18326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/9/12
Because the manga isn't finished
29765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 9/9/12
That is a super good question! And I've wondered that myself!!! But I have no godly idea!!!
16592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 9/9/12 , edited 9/9/12

mellickson wrote:

I guess I have to get into the manga then, though I prefer the anime format. I didn't know that "Ah! My Goddess" was still running. I must have tastes that differ greatly from the masses, because I have the same issue with the few American shows I've liked - Angel, Farscape, and Firefly, to name a few.


Angel was on for five seasons and was given a proper series finale. And if that wasn't enough there was the comic book series that came afterwards. Sure a sixth season would've been great but at least it wasn't cancelled abruptly. Could you imagine how terrible it would've been if they cancelled it after Season 4? All those cliffhangers and stuff...
17079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Sierra Vista, AZ
Offline
Posted 9/10/12

teenageriot wrote:


mellickson wrote:

I guess I have to get into the manga then, though I prefer the anime format. I didn't know that "Ah! My Goddess" was still running. I must have tastes that differ greatly from the masses, because I have the same issue with the few American shows I've liked - Angel, Farscape, and Firefly, to name a few.


Angel was on for five seasons and was given a proper series finale. And if that wasn't enough there was the comic book series that came afterwards. Sure a sixth season would've been great but at least it wasn't cancelled abruptly. Could you imagine how terrible it would've been if they cancelled it after Season 4? All those cliffhangers and stuff...


A proper ending? Angel was meant to have at least two more seasons. When he found out it was canceled all he did was kill off a bunch of the main characters (just like he did to Firefly in the Serenity movie). That's not a proper ending.
8768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 9/10/12
In this business, money is all they care about.
They couldn't care less if the fans love it and want more as long as those fans aren't maaaaany
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.