First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Post Reply Older Anime Fans?
270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / mainland
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
no not at all. ( : A actually my family's more of a "otaku"..even the older ones'
22435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Undella Town, Uno...
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
i'm 24 and i been watching anime for a really long time. i don't think anime has a age limit you know like by the time you this old you know to stop watching it
Quarlo 
20367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
Used to have to run to the school bus because I was watching the first runs of Starblazers and Battle of the Planets on tv in the morning.

Some of the best story telling has always come through anime, its the one medium where ANYTHING is possible.

Never too old for anime.
25534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
It's like I told my friends when they got surprised that I watch anime:

Even though it's drawn, a lot of these shows have more substance than anything you can find on US television today. I'd rather watch something like FMA (just using a random example) with the trials and journey they have to take, over watching a show about adolescent girls taking part in beauty pageants or some random family I don't care about, doing nothing.

I also don't see myself stopping to watch anime, or read manga in the future in the slightest.
698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Lost
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
I'm one of the more moderate ones. And the amount of time I spend watching anime is pretty much minimal.
17592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / US
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
i love anime
4433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / ICQ: 114629959
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
I've not build a home cinema for the sole purpose of watching anime on video wall to stop watching now! Anime forever
23678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Houston, Texas
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
Bare with me long post. History of me and anime and how I infected my family (Dad, sister her kids and my brother inlaw) with the anime bug.

I started watching anime when I didn't know thats what it was in the late 80's (Voltron) but after seeing Akira in 1992 at a friends house when I was 12yrs old it opened my eyes to the more "adult"(blood guts and an almost rape) side of what a "cartoon" could be. Me and some friends at school used to lone eachother anime on VHS when the only place you could find it was 1 row on a shelf at blockbuster. Thats when I watched stuff like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell and Devil Man. I rented DevilMan from blockbuster once and started watching it in the living room when I was 14 my Mom freaked out when it started showing 1/2 necked (see boobs/nips) demon women and blood everywhere. (I was Soooo embarrassed lol). I remember watching "some" show in middle school before the bus ran everymorning called Dragon Ball Z lol. They reran the saiyan saga up to the episode "Goku a Super Saiyan?" when he fought the Ginyu Force and would always start all over after that episode I was SOOOOO mad like it was teasing me lol.

I REALLY got into my passion for anime once I was 18 and had a job so I started buying all I could. (I have a huge collection of VHS/DVD of anime by now. Was so happy when I found Cartoon Network with there midnight run then to adult swim. I got my older sister hooked on anime after I told her she should watch Wolfs Rain. She told me that show made her cry more than anything shes seen on Tv and after that she was hooked on anime as well. Her and her kids watch anime on there Tv they have hooked up to a computer all the time. Her husband gets mad when they watch a show without him if hes late getting home from work. Shes a teacher and all her teacher friends also stopped asking her what she watched last night when they found out animes almost all she watches now. Love talking with her and my nephews about anime.

I got my Dad into anime a year after my Mother passed away in 2004 to try to get his mind off of all that was happeneing. I started him off with Rurouni Kenshin, YuYu Hakusho and Ghost in the Shell(Tv series SAC). Hes always been a gamer since nintendo but stopped cause my Mom liked helping him beat games like the early Final Fantasy(all that was released in US) and Zelda now that she wasn't there anymore the thought of playing made him soul sick. After the anime and some time he was able to start playing what he liked again. He doesn't watch as much as I do but will borrow out of my collection sometimes and everyonce in a while will find something new he likes on cable.

The only Tv I still sometimes watch is History channel Science channel Military channel and sometimes SciFi channel(will NOT call it Syfy no matter what they call it now stupid name change). If its anything else good on Tv I buy the seasons when they come out don't like watching one episode a week. (Dexter, Smallville, Breaking Bad and the like) All my friends still watch anime and a guy at work I found to also like anime sometimes I have to tell him to shutup cause hes a walking Spoiler lol (I work in a Machine Shop).

I love all anime all genres also like Anime Music Videos. I started coming to Crunchyroll when Dattebayo fansubs told me to lol.(I miss them too sometimes as another person here said, even there trolling lol). Once non anime fans find out theres a broad range of different types of stories and genre types for the most part come to understand that anyone any age can enjoy anime. Its not your old "kiddie" cartoons of childhood days past anymore. Thanks for reading if you could get through it all and thanks for all the oldtimers for showing yes you can watch it, its OK do what you love and like.
21431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 10/22/12 , edited 10/22/12
Well, I'm 55.
Started watching anime, back in 1972, when I lived in Yokohama.
Seeing how's there's plenty of anime targeted to grownups (NOT counting porn here), I see no reason to stop watching anime.
Folks at work think it's wierd, until I turn them on to not-aimed-at-kids anime.
It's like any other medium out there: somerhing for everybody.
Same goes for manga.
13789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

MillerTime45 wrote:

It's like I told my friends when they got surprised that I watch anime:

Even though it's drawn, a lot of these shows have more substance than anything you can find on US television today. I'd rather watch something like FMA (just using a random example) with the trials and journey they have to take, over watching a show about adolescent girls taking part in beauty pageants or some random family I don't care about, doing nothing.

I also don't see myself stopping to watch anime, or read manga in the future in the slightest.


That's exactly what I think :]
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
Well, as some people have already pointed out, I only feel like the old timer when the conversation is so young. There aren't that many post-worthy topics. I don't feel left out but I wouldn't mind talking about anime with people who are a little more in step with me. Maybe if there were a group for older anime fans, for those 25 and up or 30 and up, finding more of us won't be like trying to spot a unicorn.


59900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

SuperFinny wrote:

Well, as some people have already pointed out, I only feel like the old timer when the conversation is so young. There aren't that many post-worthy topics. I don't feel left out but I wouldn't mind talking about anime with people who are a little more in step with me. Maybe if there were a group for older anime fans, for those 25 and up or 30 and up, finding more of us won't be like trying to spot a unicorn.




There are quite a few of us that participate in the Anime section of the forum. Come chat on those threads!
kennk5 
50741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
63 / M / Milwaukee, Wiscon...
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
I have to add my name in with the other 60+ Animaniacs (to steal the name) since I got to see the begining of anime when I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo back in 1971. A female university student I dated then told me about it and I have been adicted ever since.

The air is thin in the 60+ crow
d.

When I end up in the nursing home they better let me watch anime or I'm grabbing my walker, laptop and I out of there.
Can't forget the depend
s.
mippa 
35207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Austin, Texas
Offline
Posted 10/22/12
Fellow "old-timer" (sob I can't believe I just used that to describe myself) here! I feel like we should start a 'clique' or 'club' or whatever the kids are calling it these days for anyone over 25~
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 10/22/12

deadpanditto wrote:


SuperFinny wrote:

Well, as some people have already pointed out, I only feel like the old timer when the conversation is so young. There aren't that many post-worthy topics. I don't feel left out but I wouldn't mind talking about anime with people who are a little more in step with me. Maybe if there were a group for older anime fans, for those 25 and up or 30 and up, finding more of us won't be like trying to spot a unicorn.




There are quite a few of us that participate in the Anime section of the forum. Come chat on those threads! :)


Yeah, I probably should venture passed the homepage.

First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.