First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
Post Reply Older Anime Fans?
19031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Florida
Online
Posted 1/16/13
I feel old talking about the anime I grew up watching and I'm only 24
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

no1special8 wrote:

I feel old talking about the anime I grew up watching and I'm only 24


Try it at age forty.

Lastest peave about about being an older cyberpunk/anime fan?

checking out this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs&list=PLxWw6SgdaHIE3MKyP1DbIvIKXRaRHT0nA&index=2

and seeing all the young folk claim it's 'ripping off' Ghost in the Shell, or Psycho-pass. NO! if anything it's the other way around. (though that's not quite true either... water from the same much older well)

59944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


no1special8 wrote:

I feel old talking about the anime I grew up watching and I'm only 24


Try it at age forty.

Lastest peave about about being an older cyberpunk/anime fan?

checking out this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs&list=PLxWw6SgdaHIE3MKyP1DbIvIKXRaRHT0nA&index=2

and seeing all the young folk claim it's 'ripping off' Ghost in the Shell, or Psycho-pass. NO! if anything it's the other way around. (though that's not quite true either... water from the same much older well)



*applauds*

Thank you. If you hadn't said it, I would have.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

deadpanditto wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


no1special8 wrote:

I feel old talking about the anime I grew up watching and I'm only 24


Try it at age forty.

Lastest peave about about being an older cyberpunk/anime fan?

checking out this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs&list=PLxWw6SgdaHIE3MKyP1DbIvIKXRaRHT0nA&index=2

and seeing all the young folk claim it's 'ripping off' Ghost in the Shell, or Psycho-pass. NO! if anything it's the other way around. (though that's not quite true either... water from the same much older well)



*applauds*

Thank you. If you hadn't said it, I would have.


These kids today. Why back in my day cyberpunk had razors on the legs as well as arms and Mirrorshades. Uphill! Both Ways!

16167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
In the snow.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
with wild wolves.
66701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
my bones ache cause that's how old i am
brego1 
35486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northern Europe
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
I think its fantastic that people break out of the stigma of anime being something for kids only. I rediscovered anime in my early 30's after being into it during my teenage and college years. I now watch more kinds of shows and different genres too. And if you like when you're old, it means you're into it for good, and it's not only a passing phase or fad.

I look forward to introducing my kids to my favourite anime when it becomes age appropiate for them. It'll be blast
72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13
I'm turning 25 soon.

My mom is japanese and our relatives in Japan were nice enough to record anime from Japan and mail it to us. They did that for 7 YEARS before online download became a thing and we thanked for it via sending them American snack foods that are super expensive in Japan.

I watched shows like Doraemon, Chibi Maruko, and Crayon Shinchan when I was really little. My first "otaku" anime however was Magic Knight Rayearth. (That show made me cry~!) My first American dub anime was Gundam Wing. (Mmmm...yaoi...)
17491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
I would simply laugh at them. Not least because it shows they wouldn't know much about anime, or anime fans - but also because many anime creators, contributers and voice actors etc are (by their definition) 'old'.

Not much else to be said.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

Diedpraying wrote:

my bones ache cause that's how old i am


My bones are achier than your bones. (what? it's a word)
43930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 1/16/13
Well most of these animes, the intended audience is really for young people between 13-16 years of age... but it doesn't mean older people can't enjoy it.

I'm 24 and I still find jumping castles fun...
13186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Texas & California
Offline
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13

water_tiger wrote:

I turned 50 this year.
I started watching anime when I was still in elementary school, when all that you could find was stuff like Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion and Princess Knight. Later on it was Captain Harlock. I didn't know that it was anime at that time -- I thought it was "French animation" because most of these shows were on the CBC French channel. I couldn't understand the language and I got my sister to give me the gist of it most of the time, but it didn't stop me from watching it. As I got older, I got out of it (only kids watched cartoons) and then got back into it when my daughter started watching anime on TV. At that point I said to heck with it because I loved the genre and life is too short to be in denial.
I have anime posters in my cube at work, I watch a lot of anime and read a lot of manga (time permitting), I go to conventions and I cosplay (
I'm extremely thankful when I come across older anime fans because sometimes feel like I'm the only one out there. All in all, enjoy your hobby and don't feel ashamed about being an older anime fan. Remember that in 10 - 15 years from now those youngsters will be in our shoes.


I think I'm the oldest anime fan here. I don't like to give the numbers of my age because it is too shocking! I like being able to be behind the keyboard with just my expression coming out. Let's see, I was in my 50s when I started appreciating anime, for the backgrounds. Couldn't stand the wooden figures of early Japanese animation in US in the 1960s. Couldn't stand the big eyes and little mouths the whole time I lived in Asia. Naruto grabbed me after the initial breakdown of my resistance to the form.

Grew my white hair out long to cosplay as Inuyasha or Jiraiya (although I'm female) or even Tsunade when her juju wears off -- easy comfortable costumes and I won't need a wig. Have missed a-kon the last few years in Dallas. Will be back in Los Angeles before too long now.

Here's a good metaphor for my age: the special night that the border opened up in Samurai Champloo? I was there.

67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

AliMcJ wrote:


water_tiger wrote:

I turned 50 this year.
I started watching anime when I was still in elementary school, when all that you could find was stuff like Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion and Princess Knight. Later on it was Captain Harlock. I didn't know that it was anime at that time -- I thought it was "French animation" because most of these shows were on the CBC French channel. I couldn't understand the language and I got my sister to give me the gist of it most of the time, but it didn't stop me from watching it. As I got older, I got out of it (only kids watched cartoons) and then got back into it when my daughter started watching anime on TV. At that point I said to heck with it because I loved the genre and life is too short to be in denial.
I have anime posters in my cube at work, I watch a lot of anime and read a lot of manga (time permitting), I go to conventions and I cosplay (
I'm extremely thankful when I come across older anime fans because sometimes feel like I'm the only one out there. All in all, enjoy your hobby and don't feel ashamed about being an older anime fan. Remember that in 10 - 15 years from now those youngsters will be in our shoes.


I think I'm the oldest anime fan here. I don't like to give the numbers of my age because it is too shocking! I like being able to be behind the keyboard with just my expression coming out. Let's see, I was in my 50s when I started appreciating anime, for the backgrounds. Couldn't stand the wooden figures of early Japanese animation in US in the 1960s. Couldn't stand the big eyes and little mouths the whole time I lived in Asia. Naruto grabbed me after the initial breakdown of my resistance to the form.

Grew my white hair out long to cosplay as Inuyasha or Jiraiya (although I'm female) or even Tsunade when her juju wears off -- easy comfortable costumes and I won't need a wig. Have missed a-kon the last few years in Dallas. Will be back in Los Angeles before too long now.

Here's a good metaphor for my age: the special night that the border opened up in Samurai Champloo? I was there.



you win. ;]

13186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Texas & California
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Diedpraying wrote:

my bones ache cause that's how old i am


My bones are achier than your bones. (what? it's a word)


Both of my thumbs have been aching like crazy the past couple of weeks. Scary. It might be from using the laptop and fooling around with my new tablet (yaaay! got one at last); I hope that's all it is. Then there's the matter of doing a ton of dishes after my water heater went out and cleaning got backed up....

First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.