Boards of Canada - Anyone know em?
Posted 9/25/12
some of their good songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRRTOnXOZsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJ7x_141Cw


It's really nice to try and fall asleep to this stuff.

136470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/25/12
I can assure you that at least a few CR users know of them.
Posted 9/25/12

kufirst wrote:

I can assure you that at least a few CR users know of them.


I can't tell if you're making a remark implying that they're actually mentioned quite often, that you're trying to say out of the tons of people here, it's pretty obvious someone would know them, or you're just saying that because you like them (I know how to use the search).
136470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/25/12

Outsidebox wrote:


kufirst wrote:

I can assure you that at least a few CR users know of them.


I can't tell if you're making a remark implying that they're actually mentioned quite often, that you're trying to say out of the tons of people here, it's pretty obvious someone would know them, or you're just saying that because you like them (I know how to use the search).


http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-776181/chill-music#41161071
Posted 9/25/12
I suppose I should have looked at more than the OP's (your) post.

Damn.


I figured they weren't all that popular. I don't know these things.
Posted 9/25/12
know of them, of course, care for them, no
136470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/25/12

Outsidebox wrote:

I suppose I should have looked at more than the OP's (your) post.

Damn.


I figured they weren't all that popular. I don't know these things.


Haha, it's all right.

You're right though because I like them quite a bit. Mainly because there's nothing else like it. The melodies they make are unique along with the rhythms they layer them with.
Posted 9/25/12 , edited 9/25/12

kufirst wrote:

Haha, it's all right.

You're right though because I like them quite a bit. Mainly because there's nothing else like it. The melodies they make are unique along with the rhythms they layer them with.



Well, my first experience with crunchyroll had me getting a thread deleting. I have an irrational fear of internet order and law, now. How was I supposed to know they'd rather you bump an ancient topic than make a new one... >_> I bet it turns out that it was in that one thread. Oh well.


Back on topic, I love the... erratic way their music sounds. It's hard to describe. Instead of being smooth like other songs, they're more jagged, I guess. That, and the electronic sound thingies they use sound unique. Well, if you understood any of that, that's how I feel about them. Feel free to describe what makes them unique, if you know.

Edit: I lack quoting skills so that didn't work right.
136470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/25/12 , edited 9/25/12


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL All fears are irrational my boy. Anyway, I don't think there is a dedicated Boards of Canada thread yet so you should be fine. My thread was just for easy listening music in general.

Um, hmm. Let's see. I think their music is all about mixing things together. Old and new. Digital and natural sounds. Etc etc.

One thing is that their music is very modal, and when it happens to change it changes the emotion you get when listening to it. Basically, when a melody changes key (or mode) it can provoke a different emotional response. Often, their music can sound otherworldly and I think that's due to the fact that the motifs and melodies they use sound very ethereal. Especially those little snippets of songs they write, they know exactly what sound they're going to get when they compose them and it always adds to the flavor of their music.

They also have a lot of 'nature' sounds in their songs as well as clips of strange recordings like in Energy Warning. Birds calling, old public service announcements and whatnot. These things help the listener relate to something they've heard, seen or done before. BOC is all about eliciting certain feelings and recalling certain memories. EVEN IF YOU'VE NEVER HAD THEM BEFORE. It's like a fake sense of nostalgia I guess. That's probably a little too lofty of an observation but I think that vague sense of familiarity is what draws people to their music.

Favorites include:

Sixtyniner
Julie & Candy
Hey Saturday Sun
Skyliner
Chromakey Dreamcoat
Kid for Today
Amo Bishop Roden
Seven Forty Seven
Alpha and Omega
Turquoise Hexagon Sun




Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 9/25/12 , edited 9/25/12

Outsidebox wrote:

Well, my first experience with crunchyroll had me getting a thread deleting. I have an irrational fear of internet order and law, now. How was I supposed to know they'd rather you bump an ancient topic than make a new one... >_> I bet it turns out that it was in that one thread. Oh well.


Back on topic, I love the... erratic way their music sounds. It's hard to describe. Instead of being smooth like other songs, they're more jagged, I guess. That, and the electronic sound thingies they use sound unique. Well, if you understood any of that, that's how I feel about them. Feel free to describe what makes them unique, if you know.

Edit: I lack quoting skills so that didn't work right.


Just thought I'd mention that the attitude that "old threads trumps all" has been changing. Many of us mods agree that if a thread hasn't seen activity in ages (for example a year), then the new thread wins and the old one gets locked.

Though that varies slightly from case to case. I also fixed your posts, that little quote accident was annoying me a little.



On topic: I love them. Some of my favourites are:


Boards of Canada - Music is Math
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0P1JsMTWc0

Not sure what it is with this song, but it makes me feel very nostalgic. The music also reminds me somehow of an old science fiction film I saw when I was a kid. All I can remember was that it was about some trash*-man who guessed correctly what fuelled a space ship that had crashed - but everyone ridiculed him, and the alien who was watching this in secret recruits his help in order to retrieve the ship and leave Earth.

*at least I think he was one, it seemed the most plausible since I remember him being ridiculed by the other scientists.

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4

Dunno, there's just something great about this song.

Those are my top favourites, the rest is kinda even.
79743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 9/25/12
I'm familiar with them, but their music never really appealed to me. I'm not sure why; maybe a touch too repetitive for me? Then again, I like Philip Glass, so repetition shouldn't be a problem.
35567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/25/12
I like them..good stuff
5432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Gothenburg, Sweden
Offline
Posted 9/26/12
I love their music! Geogaddi will always have a special place in my heart =)
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 2/24/13
Closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to remake.
You must be logged in to post.