First  Prev  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next  Last
Post Reply Pyscho-Pass Discussions
50577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 12/21/12 , edited 12/21/12

theYchromosome wrote:


hpulley wrote:


No, it is taking a break:

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/holiday-simulcast-schedule/6484581


After this week, simulcast will take a 2 week break and resume regular schedule on 1/10


:( And just when it is really hitting its stride too!


Damn! I thought it was a possibility that Funimation wouldn't update their schedule, but didn't feel like verifying the schedule they posted. I guess with all things considered, I ought to stop trusting Funimation to be accurate with their scheduling. Thanks for the info, at least now I'll be a little prepared. Any idea whether or not the Japanese air dates are the same? I checked both Fuji TV and Noitamina's English sites, but couldn't find a broadcast schedule to verify, and I don't really trust ANN all that much (although they show that it will air next week). I'm wondering whether there might be fansubs earlier, but I don't think Funi would take off two weeks unless the Japanese broadcast is taking two weeks. Plus it looks like most of the other shows are only delayed a week, or a couple of days.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I can use Google Translate with the Japanese Fuji TV schedule, and it looks like Psycho-Pass is indeed not airing next week in Japan.


No need to even go to that much trouble... People already do such things on websites. Countdown is the best and says 18 days to the next episode of Psycho Pass :
http://countdown.mandragon.info/index1.html

Interesting is that it says 14 days to episode 13 of Zetsuen no Tempest while Crunchyroll says it is next week. Hmm...

Now who do we trust with their schedule?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/launchcalendar
34283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Dressrosa
Online
Posted 12/21/12
Just finished watching episode 11. I have to say it was a great one. However, Akane officially became one of the most characters I hate.
56597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 12/21/12 , edited 12/21/12

viva_cmpunker wrote:

Just finished watching episode 11. I have to say it was a great one. However, Akane officially became one of the most characters I hate.


Well that is understandable to not like Akane chan as an inspector in these few episodes but you have to consider how she was trained and two she is a newbie and three that its her friend .

You get very emotional when its someone close to you is the victim , your judgement is not very clear at that point .Thats why surgeons do not do surgery on their own family.

I feel horrified for her to be in that situation because she must have fellt helpless and frustrated .



My friend stoped watching this anime after episode 1 because she cant identify with Akane chan.


Anyway ...

2 WEEKS is pretty typical of a break during this time period , they need their vacation too.

and then a few days to get the next episode ready
23789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NY
Offline
Posted 12/21/12
The show is getting better every episode. I enjoyed hearing Beethovens 9th symphony during their 'duel'. And I really felt bad for Akane when her dominator wouldn't target Makashima, or whatever his name is. Poor Yuki.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/21/12 , edited 12/21/12
This one wasn't one I could access legally easily but the musings on this thread got me interested. I finally made the effort to check it out.

interesting. Dumb society that can't use visual evidence or that takes all the control out of its custodians.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/21/12

viva_cmpunker wrote:

Just finished watching episode 11. I have to say it was a great one. However, Akane officially became one of the most characters I hate.


Please don't take this as a challenge. I'm actually curious. Why do you hate her so?


61382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Online
Posted 12/21/12
Wow. Excellent episode. I'm going to hate having to wait two weeks to see the aftermath of this.

Poor Akane. She won't come out of this unscathed.
47440 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 12/21/12 , edited 12/21/12
Yeah I too want to know why Akane is hate by the above poster... I like her even more for not being able to do it... she pulled the trigger to expend the ammo not to kill him. Thats why he was so disappointed in her.
50577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 12/21/12
It was realistic that she didn't know to drop her Dominator and aim the shotgun with two hands but in fact she might have shot or killed Yuki if she had tried. Firing shot at that range is not very accurate especially if you have never shot a real gun with kickback before.

Yuki was taken on purpose along with the gun to make a point and test his theory. The Sybil system removes judgment calls from the officers. This is bad here but bad in many ways otherwise. Akane herself refused to use it earlier when it was set to kill a victim.

Poor Akane doesn't have many friends left alive...
34283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Dressrosa
Online
Posted 12/21/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


viva_cmpunker wrote:

Just finished watching episode 11. I have to say it was a great one. However, Akane officially became one of the most characters I hate.


Please don't take this as a challenge. I'm actually curious. Why do you hate her so?

Sure I'll explain my reason. I understand that some people might get a psychological fear and can't do anything if they were in the same position as Akane. However, she is an inspector. She should've known that at a certain point, she will face a similar situation like the one she faced. Obviously they had leads that Makishima Shogo was behind the murders. She didn't need a Dominator telling her if she can shoot or not. She doesn't need a Dominator telling her if a person is a criminal. Makishima gave her the chance and of course she blew it. Even after picking up the rifle, she still was holding the Dominator. All of this happened to show the flaws of the Sybil system. As soon as she saw that the crime coefficient of Makishima was decreasing, she should've realized that there was no point in holding the Dominator. She let her friend die, and she let Makishima escape. What frustrates me even more is that she was of course crying and saying that she let her friend die when she could've stopped it. I read the post of someone that said she could've hit her friend too. From what I saw it was a clear shot, and the distance wasn't even that long. I might come off an emotionless person for some people, but that's just my opinion about the decision that Akane made.

61382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Online
Posted 12/21/12

viva_cmpunker wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


viva_cmpunker wrote:

Just finished watching episode 11. I have to say it was a great one. However, Akane officially became one of the most characters I hate.


Please don't take this as a challenge. I'm actually curious. Why do you hate her so?

Sure I'll explain my reason. I understand that some people might get a psychological fear and can't do anything if they were in the same position as Akane. However, she is an inspector. She should've known that at a certain point, she will face a similar situation like the one she faced. Obviously they had leads that Makishima Shogo was behind the murders. She didn't need a Dominator telling her if she can shoot or not. She doesn't need a Dominator telling her if a person is a criminal. Makishima gave her the chance and of course she blew it. Even after picking up the rifle, she still was holding the Dominator. All of this happened to show the flaws of the Sybil system. As soon as she saw that the crime coefficient of Makishima was decreasing, she should've realized that there was no point in holding the Dominator. She let her friend die, and she let Makishima escape. What frustrates me even more is that she was of course crying and saying that she let her friend die when she could've stopped it. I read the post of someone that said she could've hit her friend too. From what I saw it was a clear shot, and the distance wasn't even that long. I might come off an emotionless person for some people, but that's just my opinion about the decision that Akane made.



And it's fair enough reasoning and I see your points. However, I have to disagree with "She should've known that at a certain point, she will face a similar situation like the one she faced." The Sybil system has been in place for over a generation. At this point, there was no expectation that such a scenario could have happened, otherwise a fail-safe would have been put in place. That's the whole point of the Sybil/Dominator system: point and shoot. The only choices Inspectors have are whether or not to shoot, and how to use their Enforcers. She was alone. From what I've gathered, that's not a recommended scenario.

And one other point, shooting to kill someone is very difficult. There's plenty of documented research that shows most untrained people will have great difficult doing this. Given the stress Akane was going through, I thought her reaction was entirely reasonable. She was forced into a situation which was unprecedented for her, so her mind effectively shut down. Again, that's not uncommon.
47440 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M/F - Michigan
Offline
Posted 12/21/12
Viva you ever fired a shotgun before? Those things can be either loaded with buckshot (tiny pellets), or slugs. The anime didnt specify which was being loaded by the cyborg guy, but chances are Akane wouldnt know either. they dont use ammo rounds anymore, if it was shot that was in the gun then she could have killed or seriously injured her friend. If it was slugs, she could have missed the guy and killed her friend. The Dominators do everything for them but pull the trigger... and probably aiming too.

Also youre kinda forgetting that people in her society are conditioned from childhood to believe in Sybil and that everything it says is correct and infallible. She was morally torn between knowing that the guy deserved to die and she should stop him, but if she did, her hue would get corrupted and she would get tossed in with the hounds. A conflict of interests between using something she had no experience in, and letting a computer AI do her thinking for her.

If anything, you should hate the society that raised her, not Akane.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/21/12 , edited 12/21/12

viva_cmpunker wrote:



I find your argument interesting and valid thought I do disagree with your conclusion in the sense that. I for one, neither hate nor blame Akane for that scene.

1) she was scripted to fail. Just like you can't get a happy ending out of Mass Effect 3, there was no way the authors were going let her enter the second act of the show unscathed. and they certainly weren't going to let her solve the case.

2) I think it's a mistake to judge Akane by what we think we know. We are not the products of her fictional world. Most of whom with their state dictated information and constant mental hygiene, probably take "Sheltered" to levels we neither comprehend or respect. Akane didn't know the big bad guy as well as even we do with various 'fly on the wall' scenes that we were privy to, She probably isn't even aware of half the tv tropes that we find stale about most TV police show. I suspect most of us in this world and certainly on this forum would have pretty 'cloudy hues' (especially after watching some of the trippier anime out there).

3) She was an ACE at school and should know better, is a fallacy as well. Ask any veteran cop, any experienced Nurse, any hard bitten social worker. about the feel good-by-the-book BS that composed 90% of what they were graded on in school and they'll tell you it doesn't mean a thing compared to what they learned from their sempai on the job. Akane was given NO on the job training she was thrown in sink-or-swim right in to the deep end of the pool. Frankly I think her being a sucessful product of the system facing something that defied the very underpinning of her existance would be very paralyzing. Meeting a criminal who couldn't be judged even though he was an obvious criminal would have been as mind boggling as meeting someone who could defy gravity or learning that the world WAS Flat after all.

4) The above not withstanding, I can think of reasons with my own training and experience why following the big bad's scenario exactly to his terms would be the wrong choice.
a) it was the big bad's scenario. He wanted her to find the will to kill. And surely had something up his sleeve (at best had she pleasingly surprised him the show would have been over and she'd be a new Enforcer, see 1 above)
b) NEVER trust a found weapon/ammunition. you have know way of knowing if it was rigged, expired or just poorly maintained.
c) It was a SHOTGUN. if you tried center-of-mass on the big bad, odds are you'd be putting a stray pellet into your best friend's throat.(That said I'd have taken taken a two hand tight to shoulder grip and tried to take out his Right Knee. (and prayed any stray pellet didn't 'golden bb' for my friends femoral artery))

Personally I feel sorry for Akane and do not hate her. But I do understand your reasoning. I'd suggest the person who deserves your hate is the bad writer who imposed those choices on her.


EDIT

Please note that in no way am I telling you that you are wrong on an absolute sense. I just find these sorts opinions interesting to discuss. and if we all agreed or just shut up after one sentence there'd be nothing to talk about.




24375 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / I wish I was in J...
Offline
Posted 12/21/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

This one wasn't one I could access legally easily but the musings on this thread got me interested. I finally made the effort to check it out.

interesting. Dumb society that can't use visual evidence or that takes all the control out of its custodians.


I think that's exactly what one of the main points of the show is trying to get across. Their society has way too much trust in the Sybil system and they need to not rely so heavily on it.

67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/21/12

acidtreat101 wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

This one wasn't one I could access legally easily but the musings on this thread got me interested. I finally made the effort to check it out.

interesting. Dumb society that can't use visual evidence or that takes all the control out of its custodians.


I think that's exactly what one of the main points of the show is trying to get across. Their society has way too much trust in the Sybil system and they need to not rely so heavily on it.



Yeah I figured that. still I thought the scene with Akane was a little heavy handed. They were so busy going 'see see this is going to be very tragic' that I was.. desensitized.

First  Prev  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.