First  Prev  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next  Last
Post Reply Pyscho-Pass Discussions
2183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 12/21/12
The last episode rustled my jimmies good. It made me mad. But this has to be one of the most agreeable antagonists I've seen in a while. It's messed up, but I agree with the guy, even though I am repulsed by how he goes about playing with lives.
58152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

FLjerry2011 wrote:

Aside from all the great discussions about Akane the Dominator and Sybil System here is a legit question.How did the Sybil system know the cyborg and his dogs were threats went not human?Valid point?Dont get me wrong I like this anime a lot and thought Kogami outsmarted them ans was a highlight too.


The cyborg still has a brain, which is what the Sybil system works off of. It's not clear whether the dogs were completely mechanical or cyborgs. I'll assume that the guns can completely unlock for mechanical threats. There was a hint of that back in episode 3, where they visited the drone plant. As I recall, Kougami was able to fire at the drones.
62815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Online
Posted 12/22/12

deadpanditto wrote:


FLjerry2011 wrote:

Aside from all the great discussions about Akane the Dominator and Sybil System here is a legit question.How did the Sybil system know the cyborg and his dogs were threats went not human?Valid point?Dont get me wrong I like this anime a lot and thought Kogami outsmarted them ans was a highlight too.


The cyborg still has a brain, which is what the Sybil system works off of. It's not clear whether the dogs were completely mechanical or cyborgs. I'll assume that the guns can completely unlock for mechanical threats. There was a hint of that back in episode 3, where they visited the drone plant. As I recall, Kougami was able to fire at the drones.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they do a scan on the remains of the dog and it was the brain of a man?
58152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

NoBreyner wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they do a scan on the remains of the dog and it was the brain of a man?


I'm pretty sure they were scanning the remains of Toyohisa Senguji.
22960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Here and now, Ete...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
Quick question, if anythings been said about it, but - Could she not have scanned Yuki(?) her friend, and then shot at the bad guy person?
36256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/12 , edited 12/22/12
For the sake of argument, I really don't think Makishima had any tricks up his sleeve in regards to the shotgun. If this wasn't a show, and Akane was a cold thinker and skilled handler of a shotgun, I feel like Shogo is the type of guy to let himself die for the test. It doesn't appear to me that he's trying to make a point, or living for some greater purpose. It doesn't seem like he has any reason that he feels he needs to live, except that he's curious. I get the feeling that he is completely fine with dying for, i guess I'll call it, "entertainment."

I don't think he threw the shotgun down because he knew he wouldn't die. It looks like he threw it down to see if he would die, or rather, if she would kill him. Obviously, he's the antagonist, so he's not going to die. However, I think it's somewhat important to think about whether he was being serious about giving Akane a chance. I hear a lot of people on the thread saying that he would have a trick up his sleeve anyway, but I think that may be a misreading of his personality and motivation. I genuinely think that he had no other plans to avoid dying if she was serious about killing him. Granted, I also think he expected her to do what she did, but I don't think that shows any difference in his intentions.

Also,

deadpanditto wrote:
We saw Kougami battling Makishima at the start of the series. Kougami was fighting like a man possessed. So, he's been driven into a rage for some reason. I'd say that reason would be Akane.

To me, Kogami doesn't look enraged at all in that fight. I've re-watched that opening sequence a few times since it's aired (I just thought it was really cool), and honestly, it looks like he has come to a point where he understands his enemy (Makishima). He looks pretty calm and controlled throughout, and Akane (Narrator at the time) even says "they understood each other better than anyone else." I don't really get an "enraged" vibe at all from that sequence and I think that, by the time they meet, they will have explored each other quite a bit -- to the point that Kogami will start to recognize himself in the enemy. Although I agree that Akane might become the reason he's there. Other than that, the rest of your theory was pretty square with mine, although I never considered that the tower might house the Sibyl System. That certainly would make for an interesting climax.

Edit:

Phoenixian wrote:

Quick question, if anythings been said about it, but - Could she not have scanned Yuki(?) her friend, and then shot at the bad guy person?


I think the very first scan was on Yuki, when Makisima was still using her as a human shield. If I remember correctly, Akane didn't look surprised about the crime coefficient until the second scan. I interpret that to mean that the first scan was on Yuki, although my memory could be off about the events. Either way, I don't think that Yuki was over the limit yet.
32175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Dressrosa
Online
Posted 12/22/12
Sorry for the late response. I had a busy day yesterday. Anyway.

deadpanditto wrote:


I understand that their world is too reliant on the Sybil system. However, if someone works as and inspector in the force, shouldn't they be prepared for a similar situation? Whether the hostage is someone close to them or a stranger. Yes they are trained to use the Dominators and rely on the Sybil system, but that's one of the reasons that the series wants to show.

kitsuneshoujo wrote:

Actually yes I've fired a shotgun numerous times while hunting, but I'm no expert when it comes to it. I do realize how their world relies too much on the Sybil system. I'm the kind of person that if I had the chance to help in anyway, I just can't stand there doing nothing.

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


This is just a matter of opinion and in fact I like people like who respect other people's opinions just like I respect yours. I agree with your argument that we are not fictional characters in the world of the series, thus we don't know how exactly we would feel if we relied on the Sybil system too much like they do. Now I for one looking forward to see where does the story goes. How will Yuki's death will help develop Akane's character. I'm just speaking for myself in our world's perspective. If I had the chance, I won't just stand there doing nothing and not helping a friend.
58152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

viva_cmpunker wrote:

If I had the chance, I won't just stand there doing nothing and not helping a friend.


I definitely agree with this.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

viva_cmpunker wrote:

Sorry for the late response. I had a busy day yesterday. Anyway.

deadpanditto wrote:


I understand that their world is too reliant on the Sybil system. However, if someone works as and inspector in the force, shouldn't they be prepared for a similar situation? Whether the hostage is someone close to them or a stranger. Yes they are trained to use the Dominators and rely on the Sybil system, but that's one of the reasons that the series wants to show.

kitsuneshoujo wrote:

Actually yes I've fired a shotgun numerous times while hunting, but I'm no expert when it comes to it. I do realize how their world relies too much on the Sybil system. I'm the kind of person that if I had the chance to help in anyway, I just can't stand there doing nothing.

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


This is just a matter of opinion and in fact I like people like who respect other people's opinions just like I respect yours. I agree with your argument that we are not fictional characters in the world of the series, thus we don't know how exactly we would feel if we relied on the Sybil system too much like they do. Now I for one looking forward to see where does the story goes. How will Yuki's death will help develop Akane's character. I'm just speaking for myself in our world's perspective. If I had the chance, I won't just stand there doing nothing and not helping a friend.


I agree with you there and am not sure how I'd react if put in a similar situation. where a friend was being threatened by someone I suspected was a villian. Fear for my friend fear of making a mistake. Incoherent RAGE at the person who tried to use fear to dictate people's actions (I hate bullies, hostage takers, terrorists, when confronted with such I RAGE. ). Desire to help mixed with the concerns I mention above. (item 4) it would be 4b and 4c that would cause me to hesitate. As such I'd probably play for time. Evil people like to gloat and demsontrate/revel in their petty power. If a bit of trembling would keep my friend alive a few seconds long (for help to arrive, for me to decide) then I'd tremble like the most windblown leaf that ever trembled. In the end ... I THINK I personally would have pulled the trigger. probably as I said going for his outside knee. That way the shot would likely scatter to his groin (WIN!!) and hopefully not hit my friends femoral artery. (though that would be a bit of a 'golden bb')


67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

theYchromosome wrote:

For the sake of argument, I really don't think Makishima had any tricks up his sleeve in regards to the shotgun. If this wasn't a show, and Akane was a cold thinker and skilled handler of a shotgun, I feel like Shogo is the type of guy to let himself die for the test. It doesn't appear to me that he's trying to make a point, or living for some greater purpose. It doesn't seem like he has any reason that he feels he needs to live, except that he's curious. I get the feeling that he is completely fine with dying for, i guess I'll call it, "entertainment."

I don't think he threw the shotgun down because he knew he wouldn't die. It looks like he threw it down to see if he would die, or rather, if she would kill him. Obviously, he's the antagonist, so he's not going to die. However, I think it's somewhat important to think about whether he was being serious about giving Akane a chance. I hear a lot of people on the thread saying that he would have a trick up his sleeve anyway, but I think that may be a misreading of his personality and motivation. I genuinely think that he had no other plans to avoid dying if she was serious about killing him. Granted, I also think he expected her to do what she did, but I don't think that shows any difference in his intentions.


Problem I have is we the audience knew he didn't need a trick. It was too early in the show for the big bad to die. or be captured (unless he planned to be)

though I do agree that is IS possible that he's some sort of ultimate experimenter quite willing to die to be proven right. or to witness the free will he desires to see in action. That is what he's about after all. (as well as corruption and the compassing of many deaths but.. pass on he's got cool white hair and a sexy voice right?)

54047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 12/22/12 , edited 12/22/12
I am still havent finished christmas shopping but I am here checking this thread and its fun reading the discussion here !!!

I agree with some ....

I would say that Makishima was indeed serious about tossing the shotgun to Akane chan . I dont think he had any trick up his sleeve either and all he was doing was to see if the inspector Akane can indeed make the decision to shoot him and see if he dies or not. I dont think he is afraid to die either but I feel he knows what the answer was already but hoped he was proven wrong but we all know what answer he got.

For an antagonist Makishima is actually very logical to me. I just sounded like Spock . So I like him a lot as a bad guy. Its almost how I like Dexter but not his doings.


90 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
Yeah, Makishima was definitely pretty sure that Akane wasn't going to kill him. Even disregarding all her emotions and whatnot, she's never used a gun like that before. I mean, she tried to use it with one hand lol.
12898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
Psycho-Pass and Blast of Tempest are both driving me insane with this weekly waiting.
54047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 12/22/12 , edited 12/22/12
Yeap we will be waiting at least till the 2nd week of January for Psycho Pass
kmfcm 
17741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / NY
Online
Posted 12/28/12 , edited 12/28/12
damn, really?!?

brutal cliffhanger trolls



Makishima is going to be an even more fun villain than I expected.
First  Prev  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.