First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
What do you think about cannabis?
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/12 , edited 10/4/12
Personally, I believe cannabis is much safer than alcohol and people do less stupid stuff, including violent behavior. In fact, while influenced by cannabis, it is difficult to be angry and it discourages violent behavior which is the exact opposite of what alcohol does to people. I believe that if you replaced every drunk driver with one that is just high, there would be far fewer deaths and injuries, but it should not be considered safe to drive while high (but relatively safer when compare to drunk).

So, I was curious what the people here thought about cannabis. What do you know about it? What do you want to know about it?
9341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / irst
Offline
Posted 10/3/12
I don't think drunk people cause car wrecks because they're feeling angry or violent.
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/12
Of course not. I never meant to imply those were connected besides alcohol.

Everyone knows that alcohol drastically impedes motor function, that is the main cause of drunken car accidents. My brother was an alcoholic and killed himself when he drove into an unoccupied house.
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 10/3/12 , edited 10/3/12
I'm a practical person. I think marijuana should be legalized, regulated, and taxed. This way people who enjoy it can continue doing so without having to hide it, valuable government/police resources aren't spent cracking down on this rather than more important crime, and we get more revenue for the federal/state governments to work with. Maybe some of that weed tax money can go towards better roads, public schools, assistance programs, etc.

BUT

Even though marijuana is not as "bad" or harmful as other drugs, cannabis smokers are deluding themselves when they say it's "natural" therefore it's not harmful. Every time you inhale smoke into your lungs, it will harm you over time. Don't kid yourself.
Picturesque
20074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/3/12
Yeah I think a lot of us have been told how supposedly bad marijuana is, but I think a lot of that is basically just propaganda telling us that it's bad, ya know? There's no way marijuana is just as bad as drugs like cocaine or even worse. It's just propaganda for us to continue fighting the drug war.
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/12 , edited 10/3/12

Winterfells wrote:
BUT

Even though marijuana is not as "bad" or harmful as other drugs, cannabis smokers are deluding themselves when they say it's "natural" therefore it's not harmful. Every time you inhale smoke into your lungs, it will harm you over time. Don't kid yourself.


Well said. Just because something is natural does not mean its harmless, in fact everything could be considered to have some sort of risk of danger... even eating food can pose risks of death. But you also left out that smoking cannabis is not the only way of using it. There are edibles, and vaporizers that completely negate the risks of smoking. Inhaling smoke is never a good thing, but some people don't care about the risks just like many people don't care about the much worse risks of smoking cigarettes.

Also, how do we find out exactly what health risks there are when using cannabis if everyone thinks its a bad thing? Especially if its illegal.
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/3/12

cruentus wrote:

Personally, I believe cannabis is much safer than alcohol and people do less stupid stuff, including violent behavior. In fact, while influenced by cannabis, it is difficult to be angry and it discourages violent behavior which is the exact opposite of what alcohol does to people. I believe that if you replaced every drunk driver with one that is just high, there would be far fewer deaths and injuries.

So, I was curious what the people here thought about cannabis. What do you know about it? What do you want to know about it?


I know plenty of people who get angry using cannabis. I don't think your statement is correct. Perhaps what you say is right for you though not everybody.

Drunk/high drivers cause accidents because they're not able to pay the same amount of attention on the road as they usually would. Also reaction times are severely increased.

33027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/12
I would agree with all thus far in this thread. It certainly does not have the same characteristics of impairment than alcohol or other drugs may produce, but at the same time, we would be amiss to say that there are no ill effects from the combustion of the drug (lighting it on fire). Vaporizing is the safest way to ingest it other than edibles (binding the weed to butter/etc), but the various cognitive impairments associated with being high would lead me not to drive while I'm blitzed.

I think it's our choice as conscious individuals to not only know what we're putting in our body (weed or otherwise), but also to be aware of the effects in a manner that lets our logic keep the high mind in check sometimes. I smoke frequently, but I keep an eye on how my body is doing so that if I find that there is noticeable damage to the respiratory system, I cut it down a notch to let the body work itself back into full HP, so to speak.

At the same time, I will still discourage a lot of the high school kids that I know not to smoke until around 18 at least. This comes from the studies that I've read showing that a psychoactive added to a developing brain contains the possibility for that brain to develop in ways that aren't going to be beneficial, like schizophrenia. This is especially in cases where the patient is predisposed to it.

To each his own and with everything there must be moderation. A wise psychonaut will research, experiment with calculation, and enjoy in moderation based upon that research.


2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/12

deejayvee wrote:

I know plenty of people who get angry using cannabis. I don't think your statement is correct. Perhaps what you say is right for you though not everybody.

Drunk/high drivers cause accidents because they're not able to pay the same amount of attention on the road as they usually would. Also reaction times are severely increased.



Of course, I was speaking generally and it does affect everyone differently. But, again generally speaking, it does make it less likely to be angry or violent. You are right though, its not for everyone. I know some people who are even allergic to it. The same goes for alcohol too though.

And yes its not safe to drive high, I didn't meant to imply that (I should probably re-word my first post). But I do believe that, in comparison to alcohol, you are less likely to cause serious injury or death.
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/3/12

cruentus wrote:


deejayvee wrote:

I know plenty of people who get angry using cannabis. I don't think your statement is correct. Perhaps what you say is right for you though not everybody.

Drunk/high drivers cause accidents because they're not able to pay the same amount of attention on the road as they usually would. Also reaction times are severely increased.



Of course, I was speaking generally and it does affect everyone differently. But, again generally speaking, it does make it less likely to be angry or violent. You are right though, its not for everyone. I know some people who are even allergic to it. The same goes for alcohol too though.

And yes its not safe to drive high, I didn't meant to imply that (I should probably re-word my first post). But I do believe that, in comparison to alcohol, you are less likely to cause serious injury or death.



Allergic to weed? That's a new one I haven't met anyone like that it makes sense I suppose though
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/12 , edited 10/3/12

wadester2489 wrote:

At the same time, I will still discourage a lot of the high school kids that I know not to smoke until around 18 at least. This comes from the studies that I've read showing that a psychoactive added to a developing brain contains the possibility for that brain to develop in ways that aren't going to be beneficial, like schizophrenia. This is especially in cases where the patient is predisposed to it.



This is something that is extremely important! And the best way to keep children from using it is to regulate it like alcohol.
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 10/3/12

cruentus wrote:

Well said. Just because something is natural does not mean its harmless, in fact everything could be considered to have some sort of risk of danger... even eating food can pose risks of death. But you also left out that smoking cannabis is not the only way of using it. There are edibles, and vaporizers that completely negate the risks of smoking. Inhaling smoke is never a good thing, but some people don't care about the risks just like many people don't care about the much worse risks of smoking cigarettes.

Also, how do we find out exactly what health risks there are when using cannabis if everyone thinks its a bad thing? Especially if its illegal.


Hey man, I'm just saying it to be fair. I've used weed myself, I use a lot of stuff that is bad for me like alcohol, junk food, chemicals, etc.

I'm just saying that people should be informed about what they're putting in their bodies, and as long as people are alright with what it does to them, then just let them be.

Yes, edibles would eliminate the smoke and vaporizers help get rid of much of the smoke, but it's not just the cannibis smoke that is harmful to you. The chemicals inside of it also cause harm.

From WebMD (notice this isn't a government anti-drug website or DARE, it's a pretty well-respected medical website): http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

"Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer."
There has been correlation found, but studies are still trying to prove causation. Need a larger sample size and since marijuana isn't legal and most people who admit to using it are young and not at much risk for cancer, this needs more time to be studied.

"Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality."
Any substance that can potentially lower your fertility is something to be informed about.

"Slowed reaction time"
This is true of weed, you're not as inhibited as much as when you are drunk in my personal opinion, but any slowing of reaction time can be potentially dangerous in a mechanical situation where normal reaction time is needed.

"Rapid heart rate Increased blood pressure"
When you're young it won't affect you too much to experience rises and falls in heart rate and blood pressure, but do it for years and years and it'll wreak havoc on your cardiovascular system.
22104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/3/12
I think Marijuana can be useful for pain and stress relief.

However just like with smoking and alcohol, you'd find some people can go through a long life with no issues related to cannabis use while others suffer from the short and long term effects of it.
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/3/12 , edited 10/3/12

Effy- wrote:

It is legal in California right? Just go there.

Only in the state, its still illegal federally and you can still go to jail for it. Its still considered a schedule 1 drug. Also, if you have your "green card" you can no longer have your 2nd amendment rights (right to bear arms), meaning you can't own a gun (no hunting )


deejayvee wrote:

Allergic to weed? That's a new one I haven't met anyone like that it makes sense I suppose though


Yeah, he gets a rash if exposed to cannabis smoke.


Winterfells wrote:

Hey man, I'm just saying it to be fair. I've used weed myself, I use a lot of stuff that is bad for me like alcohol, junk food, chemicals, etc.

I'm just saying that people should be informed about what they're putting in their bodies, and as long as people are alright with what it does to them, then just let them be.

Yes, edibles would eliminate the smoke and vaporizers help get rid of much of the smoke, but it's not just the cannibis smoke that is harmful to you. The chemicals inside of it also cause harm.

"Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer."
There has been correlation found, but studies are still trying to prove causation. Need a larger sample size and since marijuana isn't legal and most people who admit to using it are young and not at much risk for cancer, this needs more time to be studied.


Of course we should be fair! Though, like I said in an earlier post "how do we find out exactly what health risks there are when using cannabis if everyone thinks its a bad thing? Especially if its illegal. "

Also, most likely this correlation between cannabis and lung cancer has everything to do with smoking it and not the chemicals.

47693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Tsumisumbri Mount...
Offline
Posted 10/4/12 , edited 10/5/12
I happen to be a cannabis enthusiast.... I live in California where my state has legalized it for medical purposes.. I enjoy it quite often. Many times before, during, and after my anime episodes =)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.