First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Why do girls...
20520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 10/10/12
I wouldn't go as far as saying threads like these promote sexism, but it really shows how ignorant someone can be by classifying a whole gender or race as the same.

No one person is the same, so it shows how inexperienced you are with people when you generalize everybody in the same gender and race.


MewMewcherry01 wrote:





I completely disagree. You say that 90% of stereotypes are true, yet you admit that there are exceptions. You realize what a stereotype is, right? A stereotype is an absolute. It's saying that all black people can't swim, or that all Asians are smart. The very fact that there are exceptions proves that the stereotype is wrong.

You make it sound like this is a black-and-white kind of deal when it's not. Gender and sex are a spectrum. There is no "women are this way" and "men are another". You are what you are. There are plenty of people who identify as a different gender than their sex (transgender) or vice versa. There are people who identify as neither gender or both of them (gender queers). Moreover, what about the thousands of people who don't fit the mold as far as their sexual preferences? Not all men are straight, nor are all woman. There are gays, lesbians, bisexuals, pansexuals, asexuals, and a smattering of preferences in between.

And then there are the people who just plain don't fit the mold, even if they identify as their own sex and are straight. There are the cross-dressers, the tomboys, the feminine guys, the just plain "weirdos" who aren't like "most people" for whatever reason (interests, etc).

This isn't some miniscule percentage of people. They aren't some little fluke in the system. They make up a sizable amount of the population. To discount them as exceptions is incredibly ignorant and foolish, in my opinion.


Well said!
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/10/12 , edited 10/10/12

endotropic420 wrote:

idk i just wish every one could just get along


That is exactly what I want too. In fact, that is the reason why I started this thread. I don't like the idea of people here being treated unfairly. And mainly the problem is ignorance about the situation. People really need to think logically, and in an informed manner in how they address people here.

If this was an uncommon thing here, then this issue would be something that could just be looked over and excused as 'that one occasional ignorant fool'. Instead it can be seen in nearly every page of these forums (the general forums at least). To me it really gives these forums bad vibes and possibly even a judgmental atmosphere. And I wasn't quite sure if I was just being overly sensitive.
7431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 10/10/12

MewMewcherry01 wrote:


crazyfirefly wrote:

Nah I really don't see it that way. If we're honest with ourselves will admit that 90% of the proposed stereotypes are true. Yeah yeah there are always those exceptions but for the most part they are true. However thanks to our modern sensibilities insisting on being "politically correct" stereotypes are looked upon as something horrible.



I completely disagree. You say that 90% of stereotypes are true, yet you admit that there are exceptions. You realize what a stereotype is, right? A stereotype is an absolute. It's saying that all black people can't swim, or that all Asians are smart. The very fact that there are exceptions proves that the stereotype is wrong.

You make it sound like this is a black-and-white kind of deal when it's not. Gender and sex are a spectrum. There is no "women are this way" and "men are another". You are what you are. There are plenty of people who identify as a different gender than their sex (transgender) or vice versa. There are people who identify as neither gender or both of them (gender queers). Moreover, what about the thousands of people who don't fit the mold as far as their sexual preferences? Not all men are straight, nor are all woman. There are gays, lesbians, bisexuals, pansexuals, asexuals, and a smattering of preferences in between.

And then there are the people who just plain don't fit the mold, even if they identify as their own sex and are straight. There are the cross-dressers, the tomboys, the feminine guys, the just plain "weirdos" who aren't like "most people" for whatever reason (interests, etc).

This isn't some miniscule percentage of people. They aren't some little fluke in the system. They make up a sizable amount of the population. To discount them as exceptions is incredibly ignorant and foolish, in my opinion.



Yeah so I took the liberty of googling the word Stereotype...nothing about it being absolute is in the definition just fyi.

I've never heard the one that all black people can't swim but as far as Asians being smart there is a bit of truth to that considering that Asians earn more than any other race on average see link bellow...
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/income_expenditures_poverty_wealth.html

Also to my knowledge lawnchairs and coffee mugs doesn't translate to black and white. Yeah I'll stand by my statement about 90% of stereotypes being true (or rather hold truth in them). Hell if it wasn't for stereotypes economics, sociology and similar fields would be at a standstill considering they rely on predicting how people will act in any given circumstance. Hell stereotyping even goes into jury selection. The fact of the matter is as much and people would love to think their "unique" and "different" the majority of the human race is for lack of a better term predictable.

I have no freaking idea how you managed to go from you disagreeing with my view on stereotypes to trying to inform me of all the different sexual orientations of the world but it is what it is. As far as it being a sizable margin however I feel like that's very vague considering (after about thirty seconds of research.) I've discovered polls varying from 25% to 2% of the U.S population is gay.

Now to your final bit about the people who discount (said sexual orientations.) as being ignorant and foolish I would agree. However I never discounted them, in fact until you brought them up they weren't even a part of the original discussion. The original OP asked something along the lines of Do you think questions aimed at gender specific stereotypes have an underlining tone of sexism? To which I answered no and proceeded to provide my reasoning behind my decision. I am always open to discussion however I think this is the wrong topic (and more specifically my post was the wrong one to quote) to get on a soap box about sexual orientations considering 1) That wasn't in the OP's original OP. 2) It was never mentioned in my OP and 3) I could give half a flying ass hat who people fuck, shag, spoon, make happy, or dance bare assed naked with.

P.S I just noticed my liberal use of hell might make me seem agitated but honestly it's more like a "Imagine if" or "Eureka" expression that takes far less time to type.
2991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/10/12
Some people like to blame mishaps on something. Obviously,and usually not themself.Even when the source of the mishap is undefinable(like the human brain).Some often want an asnwer anyway.If there is none, some make one themself. Usually on sites like this when there is a most about this kind of stuff.I beleive the aim is getting a group of people to agree sympathize with them. In order for them to get a green light on the speculation.

I often think When I see post like that
Why does it bother you so much?
You cannot read minds
Your experience with some is not everyone
Segragating a gender is going to far.

But this is coming from someone who thinks of personalities in a universal way.
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/10/12 , edited 10/10/12

crazyfirefly wrote:



I think you might be completely misunderstanding what he was trying to say. Yes, bringing up all the different sexes apparently wasn't the best approach, but you gotta at least try to understand what he was trying to say before getting defensive.

Also, did you know 88% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Picturesque
21074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/12
Yeah the important thing to realize is that stereotypes are not 100% true. Some aren't even true at all. They're just things we use to label people and put them into certain groups. Our whole social system is more or less based on categorizing people. When we look at someone, we automatically look for cues as to whether they're male or female and if we aren't sure, it leaves us feeling puzzled. But ultimately, we shouldn't go about our lives constantly believing in stereotypes or constantly categorizing people into groups. We need to have open minds and be able to accept everyone for who they are. Also, take the time to learn what people are really like, don't just judge them from outward appearances.
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/10/12
I completely agree, I saw the topic name and was going to ask the same question. Good job
7431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 10/10/12

cruentus wrote:


crazyfirefly wrote:



I think you might be completely misunderstanding what he was trying to say. Yes, bringing up all the different sexes apparently wasn't the best approach, but you gotta at least try to understand what he was trying to say before getting defensive.

Also, did you know 88% of all statistics are made up on the spot?



Firstly I wasn't defensive because I didn't do anything wrong. (Mind you in this post I'm being defensive because you make it sound like I didn't take the time of day to read his reply.) I understand what he's saying you can't judge people, they're all different, yada yada kumbaya and I get that. I can even respect that. I just happen to think people aren't really all that different and that in the traditional sense, men and women are on a different plane both mentally and physically and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging and discussing stereotypical gender specific behaviors.

LOL I think I pretty much covered the 88% inaccuracy of statistics by pointing out the 23% margins from one result to another.
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 10/10/12
Although a lot of those types of threads can be offensive to some people, and over-generalize I participate because I keep these two thoughts in mind:

1. It's alright to be whimsical and fun on the CR forums.

2. It might serve a purpose to educate some inexperienced posters who share the same question.

I think most people who reply to those threads aren't doing it with the intention of furthering discrimination, stereotypes, or bias. They do so to share their personal experiences, say something funny, or give people good advice.

There are always trolls of course who can derail threads, but every forum has that problem. The loudest most obnoxious statements are the ones that are noticed the easiest, while the helpful polite posts linger in the background.
2659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / My happy place -...
Offline
Posted 10/10/12 , edited 10/10/12


1. I was wasn't "informing you of all the different sexual orientations of the world", I was outlying all of the reasons why man and women aren't like "coffee mugs and lawnchairs" or whatever you called them. They are NOT completely different concepts. It's not one or the other, thus the "black and white" bit. I was giving you aaaaall the shades of grey I could think of at that moment that disprove the theory that they're completely different. Since, if they were, there wouldn't be middle ground, now would there?

2. 2% to 25%? How the hell does that make any difference to my point? I said it was sizable. There are approximately 314,553,150 people in the US right now; 2% of that would be 6,291,063. Are you going to sit there and tell me that's not a sizable amount? Nevermind the fact that that's THE LOWEST PERCENT IN THE RANGE YOU GAVE, and nevermind that I wasn't just talking about the US: that's a LOT of people. Also, "gay" is ONE of the SEVERAL identifiers I gave you. Imagine if I added the trans people, asexuals, etc. to that number? That's a lot of people who aren't stereotypical men and women, isn't it?

3. No, that is NOT how statistics work. In fact, one of the first and most important thing they teach you in statistics is not to generalize based on data. In other words, it is EXTREMELY frowned upon to say "all women are liars/ will lie" or whatever based on a single histogram/bar chart/what have you. Statistics is all about variation. And, yes it's related, because how the hell do you think sociologists or economists do their work? And yes, you use statistics (and by extension sociology/economics) to predict. Key word: PREDICT. Stereotypes are assuming how things ARE, predictions are guessing how things MIGHT BE. Super main ultimate point here is this: stats and stereotypes are not related, although statistics are often exploited and manipulated to make points like "stereotyping makes sociology possible".

4. Yes you DID talk about sexual orientation. Again, you SAID that you can't compare men and women b/c they are completely different; YOU compared them to mugs and chairs. You also said that 90% of stereotypes about the sexes are true. Both of those things are false. to know why the first is wrong, go reread #1. The second is wrong because, and here's where the orientations (and other identifiers) come in: men and women do NOT all fit stereotypes. Since you didn't get that the first time, let me give you an example: one common stereotype is that all men love tits. WRONG. Why? Because some men are gay, as well as a host of other circumstances like preference. Another stereotype: All women want to be pretty. ALSO WRONG. Why? Because some women want to be handsome (in other words, be attractive in a MANLY way). Women are all talkative. WRONG. Some women are introverted and hate talking. Give me ANY gender based (or any stereotype, really) and I can tell you a GROUP OF PEOPLE that prove it isn't true. And before you harp on it, I stand by my statement that stereotypes are about defining EVERYONE based one a few, or even many. Many is not all. Even if most Asians are smart (which is BS, by the way. Asia doesn't magically make you smarter), not ALL are, so YOU CANNOT ASSUME an Asian is smart whenever you meet one. Which is what stereotyping does. It assumes things about EVERYONE in a group based on NOT EVERYONE. Period.
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 10/10/12
Catfight.

Rawr.

7431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 10/10/12 , edited 10/10/12

Winterfells wrote:

Catfight.

Rawr.



LOL no cat fight. I saw all those angry caps and bolded words and was like...



I was trying to have a civil discussion not proofread a novella.



2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/10/12

Winterfells wrote:

Catfight.

Rawr.



Dude... what??
2159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/10/12 , edited 10/10/12

crazyfirefly wrote:




Again, now you're just being defensive without really looking at the points he is making. The fact is, mewmew is right and you are unfortunately incorrect. In whatever way, you need to figure that out. I suggest you at least try to understand why you are wrong instead of being so hard-headed and defensive about it. You need to seriously educate yourself about what you are talking about, because you make very bold incorrect statements.

Also, thanks for that extremely unnecessarily large photo... scratch that, photos.
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 10/10/12

crazyfirefly wrote:





Firefly. I am disappoint.


cruentus wrote:

Dude... what??


Haha, they're two chicks going at it right? My diabolical plan of goading them into cat fight didn't work though. Shucks.

:P
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.