First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply A theoretical future scenario... Good or bad?
3523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 5/5/13 , edited 5/5/13

Syndicaidramon wrote:

I'm still pissed off that there is so much evil, egoism, greed and stupidity in the world, but such a scenario is just not the way to go for getting rid of those things...


There is as much evil, greed, stupidity, and egoism as there is respect, intelligence, love and kindness in the world. The fact that it angers you that there is corruption in the world is a good thing.

It's important to acknowledge also that although there is evil, greed and stupidity in the world. It is still Human greed, evil and stupidity and that we are never above anything that is Human. :)


Banned
1789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 5/5/13

longfenglim wrote:


VeniVidiVici- wrote:



LMAO!!!! Seems like we have a philosophy major here who has nothing better to do than....flaunt his degree online on forums because no one in real life cares about it.
Awwww :(


Only I am not a philosophy major- though I suppose it is far better to flaunt one's knowledge than to proudly proclaim ignorance and hatred of wisdom.


I swear your ramble was SO boring I had to force myself to finish it because this is literally what it sounded like----- The tree is not a bug, thus bugs cannot be trees, bla bla bla , you know that I know that you know what I know----it's drawn out and redundant.


Of course, of course, as Dionysus says in the Bacchae- 'wisdom sounds like gibberish to the ignorant.' If you are bored, it is no business of mine to entertain you- the raison d'être of those lulz cats is to entertain halfwits.


That apart,your pride in bashing her and asking her what it feels to be "intellectually flayed continually" while your argument isn't even of much significance is just disgusting.


Hello, Mr Pot, how's Kettle doing?

So, to set the matters straight, let's wiegh our respective crimes shall we?

Caesar Revived- Virtuperation, Anti-intellectualism, and complete irrelevance to the topic

My crime: Virtuperation

If I am 'disgusting', I wonder what that makes you.


She just made a statement, didn't back it up. No need for you to get all up over your head, screaming "NO REASONS STATED---YOU'RE IGNORANT".


Of course, spouting random unfounded bullshit should be accepted as a legitimate argument, and a sure sign of wisdom.


Bottom line is, what she means is that these ideas sound great in theory but when taken and enforced in real life they do not work out.

The end.


The bottom line is that her claims that these thing 'sound great in theory but fail in practice' is completely unfounded bullshit, like your entire post because there is absolutely no evidence for her claims.

I can claim that there are invisible unicorns and fairies living in my garden, and that would be just as founded as your claims that this fails in practice.

But such is the preversity of the illogical- I wouldn't have even bothered to deal with this libellous drivel if not for its over-the-top anti-intellectualism.


Your wisdom is self proclaimed, you come here storming you're wise. Everyone can care less, also my reply was aimed at YOU, not OP, sad you couldn't pick that up because you did take the time to quote every of my sentences separately. They're all at you.

I'm not being arrogant of like you were to her---your arrogance of your so called "wisdom" is whats disgusting. Do I need to really explain this out to you? Now you're making me ramble to explain every little detail back to you because you can't pick things up on your own.

Oh it makes me beautiful, it does.

Well maybe we don't have time to post links atm, but then again we probably don't care enough to prove anything to you.

With that said I don't even want to explain half the other dumb stuff you replied back with because its a waste of time.

Bottom line is, my reply to you was about your attitude, and lack of understanding,
its also apparent my reply hurt your feelings and you're one of those people that ramble on forum's, in such pride of your "wisdom" hoping someone would give you a badge or something, while you do nothing to change the world.


Bye ^.^
Banned
1789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 5/5/13 , edited 5/5/13

spacebat wrote:


VeniVidiVici- wrote:

Trust me, the people handing out this "privilege" will be the most corrupted ones.


Hey, leave Philosophers alone. One of the father's of physics was a philosopher. What was it that Aristotle said?

"Objects in motion slow down because they became tired." and that's after a great deal of philosophizing! :sweatingbullets:

It was minds like Aristotle that would motivate greater minds (Isaac Newton) to develop physics, mathematics and other hard sciences. Great things come from humble beginnings after all and there's nothing more humbling than being completely fucking wrong.

To the thread creator: As far as the Theoretical topic it's as good as any other idea of a Utopian society. Meaning it's a terrible idea. Intelligence isn't so easily measured as you seem to think and your approach isn't as novel as you seem to believe. :P

We're only as strong as the weakest among us.





I respect philosophers, most were very exemplary men/women. However these days most are JUST philosophers. They make you challenge your beliefs and then what?

Its all talk. Every time. Il'd rather see an action, a result than talk. Its almost like historians,----bless them for knowing history but how does this change the world?

At the end of the day we are still living in the same crappy world full of lies----all talk no actions.

Philosophers do set up guidelines for morality and such, but the problem with philosophy is that there is never a clear one good answer.
For example Marx's idea of communism may have sounded great on paper---but not so well in real life. This is because humans themselves are flawed.

anyways philosophers are supposed to respect all ideas, not be proud of their "wisdom" as they see to it. What mister longheim (idk if i spelled it right) was doing was very disgusting in character in my opinion.

Oh well, I said my share, I want nothing to do with that vain person.
3523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 5/5/13 , edited 5/5/13

VeniVidiVici- wrote:


I respect philosophers, most were very exemplary men/women. However these days most are JUST philosophers. They make you challenge your beliefs and then what?

Its all talk. Every time. Il'd rather see an action, a result than talk. Its almost like historians,----bless them for knowing history but how does this change the world?

At the end of the day we are still living in the same crappy world full of lies----all talk no actions.

Philosophers do set up guidelines for morality and such, but the problem with philosophy is that there is never a clear one good answer.
For example Marx's idea of communism may have sounded great on paper---but not so well in real life. This is because humans themselves are flawed.

anyways philosophers are supposed to respect all ideas, not be proud of their "wisdom" as they see to it. What mister longheim (idk if i spelled it right) was doing was very disgusting in character in my opinion.

Oh well, I said my share, I want nothing to do with that vain person.


I was actually being facetious. Can't say I agree with the long-winded statement above but I don't entirely disagree with you either.

longheim enjoys debating. I don't blame him for his mental mastication and he's very good at it. He'd make a great politician or lobbyist. I'm a programmer at heart. Probably the worst person to have a philosophical debate with.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 5/5/13

VeniVidiVici- wrote:


Your wisdom is self proclaimed, you come here storming you're wise. Everyone can care less, also my reply was aimed at YOU, not OP, sad you couldn't pick that up because you did take the time to quote every of my sentences separately. They're all at you.


Yes, but my reply was in defence of myself, and not the OP. If you had read, you would have realised that, but literacy is not one of your strong points, is it?


I'm not being arrogant of like you were to her---your arrogance of your so called "wisdom" is whats disgusting. Do I need to really explain this out to you? Now you're making me ramble to explain every little detail back to you because you can't pick things up on your own.


Only, you are being arrogant towards me, and then treating my attitude towards her as 'disgusting', which only shows the insincerity of your claim. If hypocrisy isn't enough, you must compound that with bad grammar.




Oh it makes me beautiful, it does.


Yes, yes, Tartuffe, your soul is as pure as snow, isn't it?


Well maybe we don't have time to post links atm, but then again we probably don't care enough to prove anything to you.


If you didn't care about what I think, you would expend so much effort telling me so.



With that said I don't even want to explain half the other dumb stuff you replied back with because its a waste of time.


If you thought so, you wouldn't have replied at all. The very existence of this post simply disprove your claim that you don't want to waste time 'explaining the dumb stuff'.



Bottom line is, my reply to you was about your attitude, and lack of understanding,


Indeed, you attitude of haughtiness, moral superiority, disrespect, and pride in festering in stupidity is so much better isn't it? If my attitude was intolerable, there is one thing that you cannot deny- it was relevant to the topic. Your opprobrious and calumnious drivel, on the other hand, was merely a long, rather dull tirade against my character, and contributed absolutely nothing.


its also apparent my reply hurt your feelings and you're one of those people that ramble on forum's, in such pride of your "wisdom" hoping someone would give you a badge or something, while you do nothing to change the world.


Bye ^.^


I reply not because I care for what you think of me- I can think of several people here who hate me simply because I demonstrated the illogic of their arguments- you are one of the less intelligent of these people- only that your original post was extremely anti-intellectual, insincere, and hypocritical. But, to demonstrate that I really do not care for your opinion (something you would like to claim, but is demonstrably false), I will not reply if you choose to answer this- that, and also because, if this reply is any indication, I doubt that you would read anything of what I wrote at all- indeed, you would probably be proud to admit that you read nothing of it.

Wihl 
16644 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
L5
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
Anytime the discussion wanders off into personal realm instead of what the op intended it is sad.
Posted 5/10/13
I highly recommend you read 'Why nations fail, the origins of power, prosperity and poverty' There are some sound solutions on there. Also 'Economic origins of Dictatorship and Democracy' and further read on Egomania.
11021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Trois-Rivières, C...
Offline
Posted 6/10/13 , edited 6/10/13

nameherenow wrote:

Corruption with this is a possibility, yes, but I believe those in charge will be smart enough to know better.
They could for instance do the exact opposite and only give it to the stupid people. But they should know that stupid people are way more dangerous than intelligent people. So I don't think the chance of it is very high.


Corruption is not only a possibility. It WILL happen.

In fact, it's already happening: who's getting better healthcare services? Rich people. And I don't blame them. If I was rich and sick, I could consider to pay for healthcare.

But overall, your theory make sense. It would be a great movie scenario too! With Tom Cruise somewhere, saving the world again...! Haha!

If they gave everything to stupid people... oh my god... one of you saw the movie "Idiocracy"?
10577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / chicagoland
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
define intelligence?
are you keeping people who are good at memorizing numbers games?
how bout people gifted at music?
how bout people whove never read a book in their life but are probably 10x as smart as you are?

do you know the difference between memorized knowledge and intelligence?


if you can answer that question properly, youll be granted the gift of eternal youth
if not, its a bullet to the face.


intelligence can not be raised or lowered
you are either smart or you arent.
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/29/14
If nothing else, this sounds like a decent set-up for a dystopian story.

But in reality, by the time that we attain the means to create a state of eternal life, the events that transpire from now until then would probably produce some other societal development that renders this scenario inconsequential.

*deftly avoids discussion of eugenics*
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.