First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
The Future of Anime Dubs
663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/16/12 , edited 10/16/12
Now, the future of anime dubs has looked bleak ever since Bandai Entertainment, the last major client of Bang Zoom! and Ocean Studios, stopped licensing and will completely close down in March of next year and Media Blasters has gone unstable. The near-inevitable fate is that anime dubs will be homogenized to Texas-recorded dubs. There was hope that Ocean could be back in the game because of Funi licensing Shana s2 & beyond and Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail. However, Funi decided to dump the cast of Shana s1 in favor for an in-house cast that is inferior compared to season 1 because "it would be cheaper", putting Ocean on life support in terms of anime dubs. However, Roberta's Blood Trail will be given the original cast. Sentai, on the other hand, when they got K-on!!, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Rozen Maiden: Overture and Mahoromatic: I'm Home, they outsource those to their respective casts. Funi on the other hand when they got the Fafner movie, they decided to dump the cast in favor for an in-house cast because it would be cheaper. If Funi got those, would they do what Sentai did, or would they just dump those casts in favor for in-house casts because "it would be cheaper". What Funi did with Shana is unforgivable, and the only way they could repent for that is if they raise $590,000 by means of selling copies of Shana via a Kickstarter project and/or outsource some of their future dubs to Ocean (that means if they get Hayate the Combat Butler, they should outsource to Ocean, and also Jormungand because of its near-exact similarities to Black Lagoon) and/or Bang Zoom!. The only other solution for Ocean to be back in the dubbing game is if Aniplex of America starts outsourcing to Ocean Studios (currently: They can currently outsource Oreimo, Bakemonogatari, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Zetsuen no Tempest, Sword-Art Online, Nisemonogatari, and Star Driver to Ocean Studios).
90060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 10/16/12
if dubs weren't terrible 70% of the time i'd care but...
57620 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/16/12
I don't have a problem with the "homogenized to Texas-recorded dubs". The other companies' voice actors don't hold a candle to Funimation's people in my opinion. But that is the nice thing about opinions - everyone has one, and they don't always agree. Makes for an interesting time of it.
66678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/16/12
The market for dubs just isn't there. Most people are completely content to watch an anime subtitled (who wouldn't rather be able to watch a Simulcast than have to pay for a DVD and only get 3 - 5 episodes a pop?). Most people that buy anime DVDs aren't doing it just for the dub factor. The only time it makes sense financially to dub a show now is when it is getting picked up to air on TV, and that is a small fraction of the amount of shows out there. If anything killed the dub market, it was simulcasts.
The Wise Wizard
79607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/16/12 , edited 10/16/12

killbethy wrote:

The market for dubs just isn't there. Most people are completely content to watch an anime subtitled (who wouldn't rather be able to watch a Simulcast than have to pay for a DVD and only get 3 - 5 episodes a pop?). Most people that buy anime DVDs aren't doing it just for the dub factor. The only time it makes sense financially to dub a show now is when it is getting picked up to air on TV, and that is a small fraction of the amount of shows out there. If anything killed the dub market, it was simulcasts.

I guess companies spend that extra money to dub a series just because they don't know any better, not because it helps sell more copies. </sarcasm>

While you might claim Funimation wouldn't know how their titles would fare if they weren't dubbed, you certainly can't say the same for Sentai. In fact, one of their first dubs, Clannad, was a series they had already released in sub-only format previously. You certainly don't go back and dub and re-release a series unless you think that is going to bring in more sales.

It probably doesn't hurt those who prefer dubs are also less likely to be predisposed to thinking they are entitled to anime for free.


3 - 5 episodes at a pop? How long has it been since you've actually purchased any anime DVDs? Few released series released in the U.S. come in anything less than a box set with a full season (i.e., 11-13 episodes).

24210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Under your bed
Offline
Posted 10/16/12
who the hell watches dubs?its far beyond my comprehension.
7135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Australia
Offline
Posted 10/17/12 , edited 10/17/12

Jigokutenshin wrote:

who the hell watches dubs?its far beyond my comprehension.


I know somebody with dyslexia who can only watch dubbed anime. Though they're the minority there are people who watch dubs, whether it's a matter of choice or necessity. Many people who now prefer subs probably started out watching dubbed anime - I certainly did. Subtitles take some getting used to, particularly if you're from an English speaking country where there is little exposure to subtitled material. Hence it's all well and good to say you only watch subs now, but the fact of the matter is many people wouldn't have gotten into anime if it weren't for dubs like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop. Personally I don't watch dubs anymore either, but that doesn't mean they aren't important. Though at the end of the day the problem is demand - dubbing is expensive, and if DVD sales are poor then there isn't much of a future for them, sadly.
28715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/17/12
Meh, opinion opinions tis all I see. Well here is my opinion :3, I agree in most cases Japanese dubs are better, dude to the fact it was made for the use of Japanese voices. BUT I think they're quite a few dubs that I enjoyed. For example, I disliked Steins: Gate... maybe borderline hate, but after watching the dub I actually gave it a shot. Now I'm just waiting on the second part. Imo the only decent dubs com from Funi, Senti does a horrible job at VA work. Again IMO, I just dislike their cast.

I also think the first season of Shana was horrible ( the dub cast), I'm actually glad they are re-doing it. I would of liked them to re-do the first season, but of course that was not going to happen. I don't think dubs will die anytime soon, hopefully XD. Then again I'm a little bias towards Funi. The fact that I get BOTH subbed, and dubbed version. Imagine that? *gasps*

Also as someone said earlier, the seires usually comes complete. Unless they split it in two, which happens... naturally. Besides I like the box sets and blu-ray/dvd bundles that Funi has, WHICH is far cheaper then what Sentai gives for just A dvd or Blu-ray.

Oh gosh, excuse my ranting. *cough* So yeah, I am one of those that enjoy dubs. A lot.
24594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Online
Posted 10/17/12
I prefer to watch anime sub-titled, largely because it's difficult to find good dubs. When Bang Zoom! get involved though, the dub is better than the original Japanese cast - eg K-on, Haruhi & Lucky Star.

The problem is the amount of money it costs to genuinely cast for a part, rather than just using an in-house team. Unless a show is going to be on a proper network, then the dubbing company is unlikely to recoup its costs.
663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/17/12 , edited 10/17/12

papi_churros wrote:

I also think the first season of Shana was horrible ( the dub cast), I'm actually glad they are re-doing it. I would of liked them to re-do the first season, but of course that was not going to happen. I don't think dubs will die anytime soon, hopefully XD. Then again I'm a little bias towards Funi. The fact that I get BOTH subbed, and dubbed version. Imagine that? *gasps*


Actually, it's the new cast that's horrible because I read feedback of many people's views of the news cast and they said that the new cast was inferior compared to season 1. The only exception to this is Shana. Probably the only thing that can be called positive is because it's just getting dubbed regardless, and the Shana-tan shorts.
28715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

Domayv wrote:


papi_churros wrote:

I also think the first season of Shana was horrible ( the dub cast), I'm actually glad they are re-doing it. I would of liked them to re-do the first season, but of course that was not going to happen. I don't think dubs will die anytime soon, hopefully XD. Then again I'm a little bias towards Funi. The fact that I get BOTH subbed, and dubbed version. Imagine that? *gasps*


Actually, it's the new cast that's horrible because I read feedback of many people's views of the news cast and they said that the new cast was inferior compared to season 1. The only exception to this is Shana. Probably the only thing that can be called positive is because it's just getting dubbed regardless, and the Shana-tan shorts.


Ohh really? Hmm.. I guess I will have to see and find out. Has me worried though, I really disliked the dubbed for season 1 >_<.
663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

papi_churros wrote:


Domayv wrote:


papi_churros wrote:

I also think the first season of Shana was horrible ( the dub cast), I'm actually glad they are re-doing it. I would of liked them to re-do the first season, but of course that was not going to happen. I don't think dubs will die anytime soon, hopefully XD. Then again I'm a little bias towards Funi. The fact that I get BOTH subbed, and dubbed version. Imagine that? *gasps*


Actually, it's the new cast that's horrible because I read feedback of many people's views of the news cast and they said that the new cast was inferior compared to season 1. The only exception to this is Shana. Probably the only thing that can be called positive is because it's just getting dubbed regardless, and the Shana-tan shorts.


Ohh really? Hmm.. I guess I will have to see and find out. Has me worried though, I really disliked the dubbed for season 1 >_<.


Read the feedback off one of its http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLthT8S5F5Y&feature=g-all-u videos then. I'm gonna give a quote from one of the feedback:


solarsun (shakugan-no-shana-cast-announcement): Shana's voice is to generic for me. Alisters too. They both lost what I loved about the geneon dub.

I am happy we are finally getting said series state side but I hate recasts when the original DUB was pretty widely accepted as good or more then good. You did this with Trigun and now you do this with Shana all for the sake of cutting budgets somewhere.
28715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

Domayv wrote:


papi_churros wrote:


Domayv wrote:


papi_churros wrote:

I also think the first season of Shana was horrible ( the dub cast), I'm actually glad they are re-doing it. I would of liked them to re-do the first season, but of course that was not going to happen. I don't think dubs will die anytime soon, hopefully XD. Then again I'm a little bias towards Funi. The fact that I get BOTH subbed, and dubbed version. Imagine that? *gasps*


Actually, it's the new cast that's horrible because I read feedback of many people's views of the news cast and they said that the new cast was inferior compared to season 1. The only exception to this is Shana. Probably the only thing that can be called positive is because it's just getting dubbed regardless, and the Shana-tan shorts.


Ohh really? Hmm.. I guess I will have to see and find out. Has me worried though, I really disliked the dubbed for season 1 >_<.


Read the feedback off one of its http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLthT8S5F5Y&feature=g-all-u videos then. I'm gonna give a quote from one of the feedback:


solarsun (shakugan-no-shana-cast-announcement): Shana's voice is to generic for me. Alisters too. They both lost what I loved about the geneon dub.

I am happy we are finally getting said series state side but I hate recasts when the original DUB was pretty widely accepted as good or more then good. You did this with Trigun and now you do this with Shana all for the sake of cutting budgets somewhere.


Ohh, haha.. >_< I don't see anything wrong with the dub. Imo, it's better. The flaps were bad and the voice for Shana was not matching for me in the first season. Cherami Leigh sounds A LOT better, again imo.
21547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/17/12
How could you not love the subs to Steins;Gate o.0

Dubs fail, Funimation, though sometimes they do well, mostly suck. They re-use there VA's more than Rie Kugimiya gets used for loli tsunderes in subs -.-

But if we're going to defend certain dubs, besides Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Black Lagoon, the dubs to K-on weren't bad ;o


663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

papi_churros wrote:


Domayv wrote:


papi_churros wrote:


Domayv wrote:


papi_churros wrote:

I also think the first season of Shana was horrible ( the dub cast), I'm actually glad they are re-doing it. I would of liked them to re-do the first season, but of course that was not going to happen. I don't think dubs will die anytime soon, hopefully XD. Then again I'm a little bias towards Funi. The fact that I get BOTH subbed, and dubbed version. Imagine that? *gasps*


Actually, it's the new cast that's horrible because I read feedback of many people's views of the news cast and they said that the new cast was inferior compared to season 1. The only exception to this is Shana. Probably the only thing that can be called positive is because it's just getting dubbed regardless, and the Shana-tan shorts.


Ohh really? Hmm.. I guess I will have to see and find out. Has me worried though, I really disliked the dubbed for season 1 >_<.


Read the feedback off one of its http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLthT8S5F5Y&feature=g-all-u videos then. I'm gonna give a quote from one of the feedback:


solarsun (shakugan-no-shana-cast-announcement): Shana's voice is to generic for me. Alisters too. They both lost what I loved about the geneon dub.

I am happy we are finally getting said series state side but I hate recasts when the original DUB was pretty widely accepted as good or more then good. You did this with Trigun and now you do this with Shana all for the sake of cutting budgets somewhere.


Ohh, haha.. >_< I don't see anything wrong with the dub. Imo, it's better. The flaps were bad and the voice for Shana was not matching for me in the first season. Cherami Leigh sounds A LOT better, again imo.


Well, that;s your opinion but most people said that the new cast isn't as good as s1's
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.