First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Your opinions on Islam and Muslims in General?
17153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
I don't care.
4961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
Islam/Muslims do not have a monopoly when it comes to being on the receiving end of intolerance or hatred from others. Other faiths/religions get some flak (or worse) too....welcome to the rest of the world.... Personally, like everyone else here, (it seems) I don't care either.....as long as my life isn't interfered with. If so, then all bets are off.
1130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / World Wide Web
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
What are your impressions on Muslims?
I know a couple of muslims fleetingly, some of the them seem to be good people and some of them are assholes, but I think that has notthing to do with them being muslim but everything to do with them being assholes. They'd be assholes no matter what religion they courted to.
So, there're are good people and bad people, just like in the rest of the world.
I don't actually care what religious belief, or non-belief, someone has as long as they don't try to force it down my throat, I don't shove mine down theirs and I'd appreciate the same treatment.

Did those impressions come through media or actual research?
I base my oppinion only on the few muslims I know, they are my only source of actual experience. As far as the media's picture goes: it's the media all it cares about is ratings, ratings, ratings.

What do you know about Islam?
I studied religion in high-school, we got to study all major religions, that included Islam. We received a fairly non bias picture of all religions, since that's how it works in my country. I know the history of Islam, what it has contributed to as well as the major differences between sunni and shia... I'm not going to go through it all since that would take forever.

What do you know about the connection of Islam with Christianity and Judaism?
I know quite a lot about it due to my studies of religion in high-school; since it was one of the areas that was covered. I will say that I don't care that much about it since it doesn't affect me, I'm Buddhist Taoist.

Have a nice weekened.
12817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 10/19/12 , edited 10/19/12
What are your impressions on Muslims?
I don't have a generalised opinion of muslim people or any group of people. There are saints and sinners claiming every religion, social group etc. The muslim people I personally know are nice but then who would choose to be friends with horrible people?

Did those impressions come through media or actual research?
Well as stated in the previous question, I know some muslim people and I don't have any generalised views. That would be prejudice and to some extent also racism. I also study cultures and since I'm a Christian it would be a little bizarre if I didn't know anything about a closely related religion like Islam

What do you know about Islam?
I know that Islam is an Abrahamic religion. The holy book is the Qu'ran and I believe Mohammed is the name of the prophet. As far as I'm aware certain parts of the Qu'ran suggest that Jesus is also a prophet rather than incarnate son of God as Christians believe. If I'm not mistaken Muslims believe that Jesus will explain that Christian beliefs in his divinity are mistaken.

Like Christianity there is more than one branch under the umbrella of Islam ie Sunni Islam and Shi'a Islam (I think there are others).

Arabs and Islam have contributed a lot to the world culturally and scientifically.



What do you know about the connection of Islam with Christianity and Judaism?
The link between the three is Abraham. Muslims and Jews are supposedly the descendants of Abraham whilst Christians are people who follow a variant of Judaism which believes that Jesus was the Messiah.
12817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 10/19/12

Woodayy55 wrote:

I believe that everyone has their choice to believe in what they want. You believe in god, buddha, or muhammad. Then so be it. What pisses me off is when other religions talk bad about the others. Be respectful, and believe what you believe. End of story. Don't shove it down people's throats if they don't wanna hear it. Noone truelys knows what happens when your dead. Only the dead know. So believe what you believe in..


I'm sorry but in my experience the people who show the most disrespectful to people's beliefs aren't members of other religions but people who don't believe anything. Atheists. I'm not by any means saying that all atheists are disrespectful but the amount of times people of faith (any faith) are called stupid or ignorant for believing in a superior intellect distinct from humanity is overwhelming.

Many people who define themselves as atheists use scientific publications in the mass media to suggest that science has all the answers. These same people ignore scientific research that is contradictory to what they want to believe and is published in peer reviewed journals. Many times organised religion is insulted but the same sort of faith (belief without knowledge) involved in religion is what they use as scientific explanation. For example, how can anyone prove there is no God when it's impossible to prove a negative? Yet apparently, praying to God and asking him to blow a curtain, which then doesn't blow is apparently evidence there is no God. If an ant asked a human to do a trick would the human do it? Would we even hear? Likewise, why would an all powerful being blow a curtain? If the curtain moves the faithless person will say that the wind blew it. It's making a hypothesis to fit a preconceived result rather than what science should be, an unbiased search for knowledge (which is what the word science means, knowledge).

9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/19/12

Phoenasia wrote:


Woodayy55 wrote:

I believe that everyone has their choice to believe in what they want. You believe in god, buddha, or muhammad. Then so be it. What pisses me off is when other religions talk bad about the others. Be respectful, and believe what you believe. End of story. Don't shove it down people's throats if they don't wanna hear it. Noone truelys knows what happens when your dead. Only the dead know. So believe what you believe in..


I'm sorry but in my experience the people who show the most disrespectful to people's beliefs aren't members of other religions but people who don't believe anything. Atheists. I'm not by any means saying that all atheists are disrespectful but the amount of times people of faith (any faith) are called stupid or ignorant for believing in a superior intellect distinct from humanity is overwhelming.

Many people who define themselves as atheists use scientific publications in the mass media to suggest that science has all the answers. These same people ignore scientific research that is contradictory to what they want to believe and is published in peer reviewed journals. Many times organised religion is insulted but the same sort of faith (belief without knowledge) involved in religion is what they use as scientific explanation. For example, how can anyone prove there is no God when it's impossible to prove a negative? Yet apparently, praying to God and asking him to blow a curtain, which then doesn't blow is apparently evidence there is no God. If an ant asked a human to do a trick would the human do it? Would we even hear? Likewise, why would an all powerful being blow a curtain? If the curtain moves the faithless person will say that the wind blew it. It's making a hypothesis to fit a preconceived result rather than what science should be, an unbiased search for knowledge (which is what the word science means, knowledge).



I'm not meaning offence. But science has PROVEN things. What has religion proved? You say that if you ask lord to blow a curtain, he won't, though has he done anything else? Anything you can prove was from the almighty? I'm not saying religion is dumb or the people are ignorant. But I don't understand how you can believe in an entity that does nothing.

I will always put faith in something I see rather then something I cannot.
42538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 10/19/12

If you'd like to skip summarised is:

Love/Hate me for me being me, ill be satified with that.
Agreed?
1mirg 
56724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 10/19/12

Dimitrisabe wrote:

I don't care.


This is pretty much my standing
12817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 10/19/12

deejayvee wrote:


Phoenasia wrote:


Woodayy55 wrote:

I believe that everyone has their choice to believe in what they want. You believe in god, buddha, or muhammad. Then so be it. What pisses me off is when other religions talk bad about the others. Be respectful, and believe what you believe. End of story. Don't shove it down people's throats if they don't wanna hear it. Noone truelys knows what happens when your dead. Only the dead know. So believe what you believe in..


I'm sorry but in my experience the people who show the most disrespectful to people's beliefs aren't members of other religions but people who don't believe anything. Atheists. I'm not by any means saying that all atheists are disrespectful but the amount of times people of faith (any faith) are called stupid or ignorant for believing in a superior intellect distinct from humanity is overwhelming.

Many people who define themselves as atheists use scientific publications in the mass media to suggest that science has all the answers. These same people ignore scientific research that is contradictory to what they want to believe and is published in peer reviewed journals. Many times organised religion is insulted but the same sort of faith (belief without knowledge) involved in religion is what they use as scientific explanation. For example, how can anyone prove there is no God when it's impossible to prove a negative? Yet apparently, praying to God and asking him to blow a curtain, which then doesn't blow is apparently evidence there is no God. If an ant asked a human to do a trick would the human do it? Would we even hear? Likewise, why would an all powerful being blow a curtain? If the curtain moves the faithless person will say that the wind blew it. It's making a hypothesis to fit a preconceived result rather than what science should be, an unbiased search for knowledge (which is what the word science means, knowledge).



I'm not meaning offence. But science has PROVEN things. What has religion proved? You say that if you ask lord to blow a curtain, he won't, though has he done anything else? Anything you can prove was from the almighty? I'm not saying religion is dumb or the people are ignorant. But I don't understand how you can believe in an entity that does nothing.

I will always put faith in something I see rather then something I cannot.


Had you properly read you would have seen that I wrote both sides of the question and said that regardless of whether the curtain moves or not someone who chooses not to believe will justify their lack of belief. I did not say once that God does nothing. As a scientist, I believe that the Earth and universe are evidence of God's presence. I don't think God does parlour tricks though.

Science is not the problem, it's the way people bastardise it. Can you tell me one scientific discovery that has been proven which has not at some point later on been either challenged, disproven or altered? As humans we accept that the only constant is death to justify why even what we think of as known facts appear to change over time. Let's take the dinosaurs for example. Apparently the presence of fossilised remains in rock tells geologist and palaeontologists that the dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. The fossils are rocks formed from the imprints left by bone rather than actual organic material and therefore should not contain any blood or tissue correct? Also we would not expect to see this after 65 million years, yet a 70 million year old fossil contained just that. How does science explain this?

The theory of evolution has apparently been proven as well yet people who work in archaeological and anthropological disciplines are often left wondering how a fragmented set of skeletal remains from many thousands of years ago can make up the conclusive proof that we the public are continually fed. I'm sorry but can you explain how a disarticulated fragmented skeleton, 95% of which is missing, can prove anything? How can you reconstruct the dimensions of a skull (to deduce cranial capacity) when you only find half of the pelvis?

Take the OPERA experiment for example, they claimed to have evidence to contradict the theory of relativity having observed subatomic particles travelling faster than the speed of light. Then it turned out that because of fault equipment that was a mistake. That didn't stop the press from running with the story though did it?

You ask if there is anything I can give to prove that there is an almighty, ok well in 2010 my father was diagnosed with the last stage of bowel cancer. Long story short the doctors gave up on him saying he'd been dead in a couple of months, there was a worldwide prayer drive and two years later he's still alive and clear of cancer. Whilst other people who were diagnosed at the same time are long dead. Yes, each patient is individual etc, etc, but why can't science explain his miraculous healing? The surgeons and doctors who wrote him off are always surprised to see my dad alive and well when he goes for a check up. But I suppose to you that's not proof, however to me it is and just like any scientific experiment it's all about interpretation of data.

You say that you put faith in something you can see rather then something you can't but I bet you believe what you're taught about cosmology despite the fact that all of it simply theory. I like hard evidence myself and that's my point. The mass media gives us the impression that science has proven many things but when you ask for the evidence, it's a little thin on the ground. My point is, that science is as faith based as ANY religion. I'm sorry but I happen to think it's very dangerous for a scientist to say that they KNOW anything. It gives the wrong impression because as I said, science is the search for knowledge. It's amazing that science actually came from religion, there are branches of science and yet, many, many atheists would like to pretend that the two are mutually exclusive. They aren't. I'm both a Christian and a scientist (archaeologist) and there is no conflict whatsoever. Science helps us to develop technology and to understand the world we live in, but that doesn't mean that it in anyway conflicts with religion.

Oh and another thing, is there a reason why you choose not to question my statement that atheists are more disrespectful of other people's beliefs than anyone else? Would that be because it's simply too true to deny?
Posted 10/19/12 , edited 10/19/12
Well, I can't really not care about muslims since we are a part of each others world and we all have to function together one way or another. For the past ten years or so the Islamic community really started to affect my country a great deal.

I don't want to categorize muslims in any way and that is not my intention with my post, but some muslims here have ruined it for all the other muslims, by being narrowminded, fundamentalist assholes.

When it comes to what they believe in I really do not care. For all I care they can believe in pixies if they want to. If they are nice to me, I'm nice to them. It's as simple as that. I have to admit a lot of people in my country started developing issues with muslims when the really fundamentalist ones (as mentioned before) began to go puplic with idiotic views and bashing the ways we run things here, saying our women are sluts for how we dress and that we apparently deserve to be raped, wanting to convert everyone and saying our freedom of speech is an abomination. I mean really? Is that how you start acting when a country welcomes you with open arms? The cartoons of the prophet didn't really help, because of that a whole mud-throwing war erupted as to what we can say or not say for the sake of freedom and for the sake of what we can allow ourselves to joke about.

So... when it comes to the fundamentalist ones I do have a problem and frankly I don't think they are worthy to stay in our country. I really don't want to judge anyone and I think muslims who don't bother anyone and who actually come here to also be a part of society are welcome always, but I have zero respect towards those who come here to be parasites on the system and those who come here to ruin our democracy. The Danish ancestors like so many others fought long and hard to gain what we have today and we'll obviously stand up for ourselves when we feel our values are being threatened.
32730 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Karakura Town
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
Well, I probably won't be able to give you a well explained answer, but I don't care or look at their religion as a way to figure out who they are, much less the media, they are people, so yeah.
37397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Somewhere i Belong
Offline
Posted 10/19/12

underlock wrote:

I'd rather discuss satanists.


OMG! Your a Demon!

i`m scared, i will no longer talk to you right now undertrolllock
60960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Missouri
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
You should have asked what we think of radical Islam. If you asked that. I would say that they all needed exterminated. I've seen too many heads sawed off with dull knives to think anything else. As for normal muslims. Like most of what you will find in the USA. I'm totally cool with them.
Posted 10/19/12
i don't care what you are who you are or what you bailve in just don't like it when people slam it in my face

i don't go slamming what i balive in in peoples face so yerr
698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Lost
Offline
Posted 10/19/12
You can't judge a sect for its extremists. Besides, even if their extremists treat women like -CENSORED-, not all of them do. In fact, I have a Muslim friend and her husband is very respectful and loving of her.

Besides, Islam is a religion that loves cats! That alone would redeem them for me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.