First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply New Catalog Titles: Broken Blade
67858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/20/12

manic221 wrote: No sorry i understand all that what i meant was in regards too who own it in the states is irrelevant to me that doesn't change whether or not something can be shown in the UK, I assume someone owns it because if they didn't Crunchyroll could just pay a little more and become the distributor in the UK you see what i mean? That's all i was saying.

No, Sentai or NIS American would have to hold the UK rights for Crunchyroll to "pay a little extra" to "add" the UK.

If anyone else holds the rights, Crunchyroll has to cover its own costs of a second contract negotiation, and has to be able to offer a Minimum Guarantee on the second contract that can cover the licensor's contracting costs.

To do that, Crunchyroll would have to have enough UK members to cover the doubling of the contract costs. But Crunchyroll isn't in a position to do that for simulcasts yet, so surely Crunchyroll is surely years away from being able to do that for catalog titles.

22697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United Kingdom.
Offline
Posted 10/20/12 , edited 10/20/12

agila61 wrote:


manic221 wrote: No sorry i understand all that what i meant was in regards too who own it in the states is irrelevant to me that doesn't change whether or not something can be shown in the UK, I assume someone owns it because if they didn't Crunchyroll could just pay a little more and become the distributor in the UK you see what i mean? That's all i was saying.

No, Sentai or NIS American would have to hold the UK rights for Crunchyroll to "pay a little extra" to "add" the UK.

If anyone else holds the rights, Crunchyroll has to cover its own costs of a second contract negotiation, and has to be able to offer a Minimum Guarantee on the second contract that can cover the licensor's contracting costs.

To do that, Crunchyroll would have to have enough UK members to cover the doubling of the contract costs. But Crunchyroll isn't in a position to do that for simulcasts yet, so surely Crunchyroll is surely years away from being able to do that for catalog titles.



Well they do it for Simulcasts so they can't be that short on money... But regardless don't turn this into a massive thing i already said i'm not upset i just offered a suggestion... In the same way Netflix are now the official distributor of Breaking Bad in the UK because no channel would pick up i don't think it would be too hard for CR too do with anime especially seen as Anime rights are not even contested in UK particularly because it's not that huge here it doesn't have a big fan base. Rights for UK distribution rights would not be to expensive or even difficult to ascertain, That's obviously true because almost all of CR's simulcasts these days are worldwide so it's not that big of a step to start getting catalog titles especially ones without an official distributor in the UK obviously this title does have a distributor here but even still i'm sure companies that are working by themselves and not with Kaze would be more the willing to talk to CR as like i said anime is not in huge demand here in the UK.

By the way the part about Simulcasts doesn't make sense i believe theirs only one Simulcast this season not airing in the UK that being Magi as Kaze got those rights for it's struggling service Anime On Demand.
60291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/12
I am a little bit upset that there are so few shows that I will be able to watch here in the UK.. I feel that maybe the UK premium should be a cheaper price seeing as we do end up with a substantial amount less content that the US audiences but pay the same.
I understand it is hard and expensive to acquire worldwide licenses and this post is mostly just me venting, but I really want to watch some of these shows and the only thing stopping that is the fact that content publishers hold on to this foolish notion that land borders exist on the internet. The sooner everyone realises that the beauty of the internet is that the world is connected without worrying about where you are in the world (Don't even think about talking about censorship in countries you know full well what I mean when write this) the sooner they will be able to expand audiences and turn a wider profit.

Again this post is mostly me venting and I want to continue membership to this site as anything that is going to provide me with anime and support the creators so they make more is always a good thing. I just wish licensing would drag it's arse into this era.
22697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United Kingdom.
Offline
Posted 10/20/12

Aj-Hedgehog wrote:

I am a little bit upset that there are so few shows that I will be able to watch here in the UK.. I feel that maybe the UK premium should be a cheaper price seeing as we do end up with a substantial amount less content that the US audiences but pay the same.
I understand it is hard and expensive to acquire worldwide licenses and this post is mostly just me venting, but I really want to watch some of these shows and the only thing stopping that is the fact that content publishers hold on to this foolish notion that land borders exist on the internet. The sooner everyone realises that the beauty of the internet is that the world is connected without worrying about where you are in the world (Don't even think about talking about censorship in countries you know full well what I mean when write this) the sooner they will be able to expand audiences and turn a wider profit.

Again this post is mostly me venting and I want to continue membership to this site as anything that is going to provide me with anime and support the creators so they make more is always a good thing. I just wish licensing would drag it's arse into this era.


Well said! i think people might be taking my comments in away i didn't intend i'm not angry with CR quite the opposite i'm happy with the service i get too watch SAO, BTooom and Blast of Tempest too name a few in 1080p the same day it airs in japan i couldn't be happier with my premium membership and i think CR is a bargain i just think that CR need too start talking with distributors in Europe (that aren't associated with Kaze) and also if possible just pick up the distribution for the UK ala Netflix and Breaking Bad, I don't think Americans understand how hard it is too get anime legally in the UK because they have so many sites that provide it.
Koyu 
19395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/20/12
Hmm haven't seen one bad review yet, and just when I was looking for something to watch. Guess I have no choice but to check it out for myself
1087 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/12
Ovas were awsome hope this is the series and hope there good
67858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/20/12 , edited 10/20/12

manic221 wrote: Well they do it for Simulcasts so they can't be that short on money.

No, they don't double contract for simulcasts.

What they have done is when they get a direct streaming license from the original licensor in Japan is try to add any countries they can to the contract. That is a case of paying a top-up on the minimum guarantee to get additional countries, since its still only one contract.

That used to be where they got all of their rights outside of North America, But starting about this time last year, they have somehow been able to persuade Sentai to go for streaming rights outside of North America, and so their simulcast sub-licenses have been able to get rights outside of North America. But that is also a single contract.

What they haven't been able to do yet is to double contract for the same series ~ to get the holders of rights in two different areas to sign side-by-side contracts for the same series.

Contracting costs are their biggest per-series overhead cost, and so far they do not look like having enough members in any region outside of North America to do be able to fund a double-contract. At least, not yet: if Crunchyroll's membership outside of North America keeps growing, then one day they'll be in a position to double contract.


manic221 wrote: i just think that CR need too start talking with distributors in Europe (that aren't associated with Kaze) and also if possible just pick up the distribution for the UK ala Netflix and Breaking Bad, I don't think Americans understand how hard it is too get anime legally in the UK because they have so many sites that provide it.

Netflix is working on an entirely different level: given the size of their subscription base, they can afford to double contract a lot easier than Crunchyroll can.

If Crunchyroll could work out a deal with a European distributor that was a package deal, where Crunchyroll could expanded streaming rights for a number of series, that is one way to get around the contract cost problem, because it would be one contract spread across multiple series. Really, that's how they could get these five catalog titles ... four of them are from the same distributor, so that's almost certainly a package deal.
22697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United Kingdom.
Offline
Posted 10/20/12

agila61 wrote:


manic221 wrote: Well they do it for Simulcasts so they can't be that short on money.

No, they don't double contract for simulcasts.

What they have done is when they get a direct streaming license from the original licensor in Japan is try to add any countries they can to the contract. That is a case of paying a top-up on the minimum guarantee to get additional countries, since its still only one contract.

That used to be where they got all of their rights outside of North America, But starting about this time last year, they have somehow been able to persuade Sentai to go for streaming rights outside of North America, and so their simulcast sub-licenses have been able to get rights outside of North America. But that is also a single contract.

What they haven't been able to do yet is to double contract for the same series ~ to get the holders of rights in two different areas to sign side-by-side contracts for the same series.

Contracting costs are their biggest per-series overhead cost, and so far they do not look like having enough members in any region outside of North America to do be able to fund a double-contract. At least, not yet: if Crunchyroll's membership outside of North America keeps growing, then one day they'll be in a position to double contract.



Wait a second what are CR's relationship with Sentai? Do Sentai own Crunchyroll? or are they business partners? Are you saying for certain series on this site the Simulcasts on this site aren't owned by CR but are infact sub contracted from Sentai? In that case who owns the rights too SAO? Is that one CR licensed by themselves or did they subcontract it from another licensor in the US?

Secondly i understand for Anime that is owned by other companies in the UK that's fair enough but the vast majority of CR's catalog titles are not owned by anyone here in the UK therefor the rights are their for the picking... For example for the longest time no one in the UK has had the licence for Digimon and i do know some of the Digimon season are cataloged here not that i would even watch them i watched Digimon as a kid and always enjoyed the dubs regardless of there quality.

Basically i'm saying when no-one here in the UK owns the rights surely that would make the prices cheaper and in that case CR should be able too pursue it... i have no idea the numbers of subscribers or any of that stuff. What i do know is that Netflix have done the very same thing with Breaking Bad because their isn't a channel in the UK airing Breaking Bad here Netflix have picked up the distribution rights which is really cool. I don't watch Breaking Bad i'm just pointing that out.
11215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Argentina
Offline
Posted 10/20/12 , edited 10/20/12

agila61 wrote:


manic221 wrote: Well they do it for Simulcasts so they can't be that short on money.

No, they don't double contract for simulcasts.

What they have done is when they get a direct streaming license from the original licensor in Japan is try to add any countries they can to the contract. That is a case of paying a top-up on the minimum guarantee to get additional countries, since its still only one contract.

That used to be where they got all of their rights outside of North America, But starting about this time last year, they have somehow been able to persuade Sentai to go for streaming rights outside of North America, and so their simulcast sub-licenses have been able to get rights outside of North America. But that is also a single contract.

What they haven't been able to do yet is to double contract for the same series ~ to get the holders of rights in two different areas to sign side-by-side contracts for the same series.

Contracting costs are their biggest per-series overhead cost, and so far they do not look like having enough members in any region outside of North America to do be able to fund a double-contract. At least, not yet: if Crunchyroll's membership outside of North America keeps growing, then one day they'll be in a position to double contract.


manic221 wrote: i just think that CR need too start talking with distributors in Europe (that aren't associated with Kaze) and also if possible just pick up the distribution for the UK ala Netflix and Breaking Bad, I don't think Americans understand how hard it is too get anime legally in the UK because they have so many sites that provide it.

Netflix is working on an entirely different level: given the size of their subscription base, they can afford to double contract a lot easier than Crunchyroll can.

If Crunchyroll could work out a deal with a European distributor that was a package deal, where Crunchyroll could expanded streaming rights for a number of series, that is one way to get around the contract cost problem, because it would be one contract spread across multiple series. Really, that's how they could get these five catalog titles ... four of them are from the same distributor, so that's almost certainly a package deal.


Americans, I believe that you don't understand the problem. The curret situation only generate disconfort in the foreign members. Therefore, the size of membership outside US / CAN don't rise if the number of release shows for our regions don't rise firstly.
Moreover, if you say that there are few members in UK, so how many are in Latin American? How many time we must wait for our situation improve?
(Sorry if my English isn't very good)
42248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/20/12
Well, this was trutly great. I've watched the 4 parts available without having a rest. Now... Wiki says this is actually six OVAs, any idea when will the other two be available?
Itoao 
65622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/20/12
This series is Awesome and looks so Good in HD!!
139359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/20/12
Oh interesting XD
22993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
I know they have trouble with licensing, but why is it that with catalog entries pretty much all of them are US only?
22899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Canada ✈
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
finally something new!
10013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/21/12
Once again, UK & the Rest of the world users are fucked in the ass again. Thanks a fucking lot CR.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.