First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply Cosplaying, why do some people not "get it"?
22524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

Hintkin wrote:


haruka211 wrote:


Hintkin wrote:



I see.. Those are good reasons. So is this a kind of hobby?



For me, yes, it is a very big hobby of mine. I started off buying about 30 costumes, because I loved the characters and at first just wanted to sorta "model" the costumes in photos. But now I am trying to get into sewing them myself, making props, and I would say I work on costume things/networking my photos for about 5-6 hours a week.



Wow this can be a good business oppurtunity. I mean you can sell those costumes with the right price since you can make your own. That's an interesting hobby and can be profitable
Do you cosplay for games, too?


yes it can be profitable. Sadly as of now I am not a very talented seamstress. I can make props but sewing is not my strong point yet.

And actually yea, I cosplay from video games too. I have done .hack characters and also Kairi from Kingdom Hearts so far. I plan on cosplaying from some of the Tales games and also Ico :)
Posted 10/28/12

haruka211 wrote:


Hintkin wrote:


haruka211 wrote:


Hintkin wrote:



I see.. Those are good reasons. So is this a kind of hobby?



For me, yes, it is a very big hobby of mine. I started off buying about 30 costumes, because I loved the characters and at first just wanted to sorta "model" the costumes in photos. But now I am trying to get into sewing them myself, making props, and I would say I work on costume things/networking my photos for about 5-6 hours a week.



Wow this can be a good business oppurtunity. I mean you can sell those costumes with the right price since you can make your own. That's an interesting hobby and can be profitable
Do you cosplay for games, too?


yes it can be profitable. Sadly as of now I am not a very talented seamstress. I can make props but sewing is not my strong point yet.

And actually yea, I cosplay from video games too. I have done .hack characters and also Kairi from Kingdom Hearts so far. I plan on cosplaying from some of the Tales games and also Ico :)


I guess it takes practice to sew.. Cool
29455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
IMO I think people don't understand it, because they don't understand why people want to emulate fictional characters. I've never done cosplay before, but I can somewhat understand why some people would want to dress up as a character that they like, and can relate to in some degree or feel they can bring that character's "sense of being" or whatever you want to call it into reality.

If you do a Tales character you should do a Pascal costume. Just sayin'
22524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

DyTonic wrote:

IMO I think people don't understand it, because they don't understand why people want to emulate fictional characters. I've never done cosplay before, but I can somewhat understand why some people would want to dress up as a character that they like, and can relate to in some degree or feel they can bring that character's "sense of being" or whatever you want to call it into reality.

If you do a Tales character you should do a Pascal costume. Just sayin'


I actually AM doing Pascal!!! :)

And also Rita from Vesperia
29455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
NICE! saw some of your pics, and when you said you were planning on doing Tales characters Pascal just popped into my head. I can see you making Rita work just as well
2976 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
People just think it's weird and out of the ordinary. That's all. I mean it's fine for Halloween, because it's like a tradition, but if you do it on Christmas or something, it's plain weird.

Not that I know, because I've never cosplay before.
Queen Moderator
32823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / X / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

haruka211 wrote:


DyTonic wrote:

IMO I think people don't understand it, because they don't understand why people want to emulate fictional characters. I've never done cosplay before, but I can somewhat understand why some people would want to dress up as a character that they like, and can relate to in some degree or feel they can bring that character's "sense of being" or whatever you want to call it into reality.

If you do a Tales character you should do a Pascal costume. Just sayin'


I actually AM doing Pascal!!! :)

And also Rita from Vesperia :)


Ooooh! I'm excited to see how Pascal turns out! Sounds like it'll be a good one ^.^
22524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

DyTonic wrote:

NICE! saw some of your pics, and when you said you were planning on doing Tales characters Pascal just popped into my head. I can see you making Rita work just as well


A friend of mine suggested Rita, but I have not played Vesperia yet. I know, awful of me! lol. But I will play it before I decide.
29455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
I personally think it's good. Out of all the ones I've played, Vesperia's prolly my second favorite Tales game lol
22524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

DyTonic wrote:

I personally think it's good. Out of all the ones I've played, Vesperia's prolly my second favorite Tales game lol


Awesome I will have to play it then!
pakola 
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Purgatory
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
If you find cosplaying fun then do it, do whats fun to you I myself wouldn't cosplay, I guess I am not into it as much as other people. But I like seeing how detailed peoples costumes are and some are really really good.
17267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Miami, Florida
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

haruka211 wrote:


EightBitRed wrote:

Many people never understand the things other people do because said people never give it a chance. It was the same for my stepbrothers when I had a good relation with them, they couldn't understand why I loved anime so much yet they are immensely into Dragonball Z which they consider "different". I ask them both to give anime a chance and they both agreed. I showed my older brother "Naruto" and he like it alot and I showed my younger stepbrother...I think it was Samurai Champloo or Afro Samurai. But anyways, it both changed the way the viewed my little hobby and stop teasing me cause of it because now they understood.

I guess when it comes to cosplay it's depends how attracting a male/female looks in said costume, it's all about eye candy. For example if you make an amazing cosplay (Jessica Nigri) you're likely going to be ask for pictures which then advertises you on Anime websites and possibly Gaming as well. This would make people who don't understand see through the hobby because regardless what you're wearing, you look amazing in it. If your cosplay isn't attracting then yeah you're not going to get admired as much by people who do and don't understand and will just grade you as average.


I see what you are saying here but I would not AT ALL put JNig in a category of "amazing cosplay". Not even top 50 probably.

Not the point lol, but yea, it does help being attractive. That is what she has going for her. She is what people call "attractive" and so even if she doesn't have good detailed/tailored costumes, people will always love her because she is "hot".



That's a pretty big statement considering Jessica is... immensely attractive and has the breasts to back it up (which is perfect for cosplaying certain characters accurately like Yoko). She also has ALOT of publicity, so yeah...
Quarlo 
21421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Antonio
Online
Posted 10/28/12
Some of the coolest people I know cosplay. I recently volunteered at San Japan and was part of the staff working the cosplay competition and the level of detail that they put into their costumes was amazing. They love what they do and I can't fault them one little bit.

Now the BJD fans, those people creep me out. haha
45076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Not Too Dista...
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
I dont really get Cosplay and I've tried it.

I went with some friends to the MCM expo in London, there was one friend who has Cosplayed a couple of times previously, and myself and 2 friends who had never tried.

We all went as the characters from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, I went as Sakamoto Yuuji, but I didn't really enjoy it, but then again I am quite introverted and all the aspects of what makes Cosplay fun are things I dislike (showing off to people, getting photos taken).

So I can understand why people don't think its fun or don't understand it, however my two other friends who were more nervous about trying it than I was loved it.

I really like seeing people in Cosplay, especially when people come as something different or unexpected. My friend it previously also went as Light from Tegami Bachi and I build the Shindanjuu gun prop for him out of a toy Winchester rifle. The over all costume was really cool. I also remember seeing some girl come as the Green Knight from Castle Crashers which was awesome.


Also to EightBitRed I think the point hakura221 is trying to make is one you aren't seeing, her point is that J.Nig is only a pretty face and a good body, she doesn't really act like the characters them selves or has any real identity to them, she practically just a booth babe.
4465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / ICQ: 114629959
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
Basically I would do cosplaying, ... but I don't want to violate other peoples sense of esthetics or cause eye cancer :/
PS: Didn't know that there are thus nice looking cosplayers in Ohio
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.