First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply Cosplaying, why do some people not "get it"?
22350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BC Canada
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
I love cosplay, I love anime / manga cosplay... It's just that some people don't understand the ways of this culture... it's sad but unless they experience it themselves they will never know...

It's fun to meet other people where you both share the passion for cosplaying.
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

EightBitRed wrote:


haruka211 wrote:


EightBitRed wrote:

Many people never understand the things other people do because said people never give it a chance. It was the same for my stepbrothers when I had a good relation with them, they couldn't understand why I loved anime so much yet they are immensely into Dragonball Z which they consider "different". I ask them both to give anime a chance and they both agreed. I showed my older brother "Naruto" and he like it alot and I showed my younger stepbrother...I think it was Samurai Champloo or Afro Samurai. But anyways, it both changed the way the viewed my little hobby and stop teasing me cause of it because now they understood.

I guess when it comes to cosplay it's depends how attracting a male/female looks in said costume, it's all about eye candy. For example if you make an amazing cosplay (Jessica Nigri) you're likely going to be ask for pictures which then advertises you on Anime websites and possibly Gaming as well. This would make people who don't understand see through the hobby because regardless what you're wearing, you look amazing in it. If your cosplay isn't attracting then yeah you're not going to get admired as much by people who do and don't understand and will just grade you as average.


I see what you are saying here but I would not AT ALL put JNig in a category of "amazing cosplay". Not even top 50 probably.

Not the point lol, but yea, it does help being attractive. That is what she has going for her. She is what people call "attractive" and so even if she doesn't have good detailed/tailored costumes, people will always love her because she is "hot".



That's a pretty big statement considering Jessica is... immensely attractive and has the breasts to back it up (which is perfect for cosplaying certain characters accurately like Yoko). She also has ALOT of publicity, so yeah...


She is only immensely attractive to people because of her boobs... so yea.
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

Ginga_Wolf wrote:

I dont really get Cosplay and I've tried it.

I went with some friends to the MCM expo in London, there was one friend who has Cosplayed a couple of times previously, and myself and 2 friends who had never tried.

We all went as the characters from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, I went as Sakamoto Yuuji, but I didn't really enjoy it, but then again I am quite introverted and all the aspects of what makes Cosplay fun are things I dislike (showing off to people, getting photos taken).

So I can understand why people don't think its fun or don't understand it, however my two other friends who were more nervous about trying it than I was loved it.

I really like seeing people in Cosplay, especially when people come as something different or unexpected. My friend it previously also went as Light from Tegami Bachi and I build the Shindanjuu gun prop for him out of a toy Winchester rifle. The over all costume was really cool. I also remember seeing some girl come as the Green Knight from Castle Crashers which was awesome.


Also to EightBitRed I think the point hakura221 is trying to make is one you aren't seeing, her point is that J.Nig is only a pretty face and a good body, she doesn't really act like the characters them selves or has any real identity to them, she practically just a booth babe.


Thank you for this. To me, talented cosplayers ACT the part and are good at CONSTRUCTING their cosplays. Someone who cosplays as a sexed up version of Ash Ketchum... that's just wrong!

21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

Anime-4life wrote:

I love cosplay, I love anime / manga cosplay... It's just that some people don't understand the ways of this culture... it's sad but unless they experience it themselves they will never know...

It's fun to meet other people where you both share the passion for cosplaying.


Yea, a lot of people just don't understand the culture, but the people who do seem to love it!
9341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / irst
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
I love going to cons and seeing the cosplayers! It's like some people like to go to Disneyland and get their picture taken with the person in the Micky Mouse costume.

People who don't understand dressing up as another character probably aren't fans of anything. Cosplay isn't limited to anime-verse and video games. People cosplay from all sorts of media (lord of the rings, doctor who, star wars, star trek, etc.).
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
I'm shy, so I probaply never will cosplay, but I admire those who do.
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

_IceAndCream_ wrote:

I love going to cons and seeing the cosplayers! It's like some people like to go to Disneyland and get their picture taken with the person in the Micky Mouse costume.

People who don't understand dressing up as another character probably aren't fans of anything. Cosplay isn't limited to anime-verse and video games. People cosplay from all sorts of media (lord of the rings, doctor who, star wars, star trek, etc.).


Great way to put it! You don't have to be an anime fan to love cosplay. I love when I see cosplay from all different types of genres!
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

sondret5 wrote:

I'm shy, so I probaply never will cosplay, but I admire those who do.



No need to be shy! Usually being who go to cons are very friendly and they will help you through the shyness!
29169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Brandon, FL
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
Its just like any other hobby. some understand it, some dont. Personally, i wouldnt be caught dead dressed up like that. well, maybe dead
44076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Not Too Dista...
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

haruka211 wrote:


sondret5 wrote:

I'm shy, so I probaply never will cosplay, but I admire those who do.



No need to be shy! Usually being who go to cons are very friendly and they will help you through the shyness!




IDD you kind of get swept up in things, after a while your high fiveing strangers, and giving random people hugs. Talking with people you've never met before just cause your both like anime. Its even more so as a Cosplayer because people want to talk to you about your costume and things.
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

jordancharacter wrote:

Its just like any other hobby. some understand it, some dont. Personally, i wouldnt be caught dead dressed up like that. well, maybe dead


Lol this made me laugh.
13908 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

sondret5 wrote:

I'm shy, so I probaply never will cosplay, but I admire those who do.

I'm REALLY shy too, so for my first cosplay, I did a character who was really timid, and so it was easy to be in character the whole time. I could be the character, and myself, at the same time.
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

TheCoolAlchemist wrote:


sondret5 wrote:

I'm shy, so I probaply never will cosplay, but I admire those who do.

I'm REALLY shy too, so for my first cosplay, I did a character who was really timid, and so it was easy to be in character the whole time. I could be the character, and myself, at the same time.


^^^^ THIS. I am actually still trying my hardest to stay in character when I go to cons. Tough for me, I'm not very outgoing.
5427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12
Not everyone will like what you like. But I think as long as they are respectful about it, then it's okay to have different opinions. Who knows, they may change their mind later on after learning more about the subject.

I've never been to a con or have cosplayed myself. But, I love seeing photos/videos of cosplay and am just in awe sometimes of the work some people put into their costumes. Not only that, but when they also act the part of the character they're playing, I always admire that. I would seriously love to go a con one day and maybe cosplay! I think it would be such a fun experience, especially if it was with a group of friends.
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 10/28/12

Silly-Sphere wrote:

Not everyone will like what you like. But I think as long as they are respectful about it, then it's okay to have different opinions. Who knows, they may change their mind later on after learning more about the subject.

I've never been to a con or have cosplayed myself. But, I love seeing photos/videos of cosplay and am just in awe sometimes of the work some people put into their costumes. Not only that, but when they also act the part of the character they're playing, I always admire that. I would seriously love to go a con one day and maybe cosplay! I think it would be such a fun experience, especially if it was with a group of friends.


Do you live around Ohio!? If so you should come to Ohayocon in January!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.