First  Prev  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next  Last
Post Reply Who here is disturbed by the poorly made music in the 21st century?
Posted 1/24/13

moneygrip3030 wrote:

Kid Koala's 12 bit blues is amazing. It's post modern blues / hip hop and all recorded live on an old SP1200. Pillowfight the new Dan the Automator joint is also great... I could list quite a few more new albums that are awesome. My point is the music is out there you just have to dig for it...


KID KOALA IS F'ING BRILLIANT! Emperor's main course and prelude and the kiss were things I was thinking of when I mentioned sampling.what a genius
13062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
I've come to accept the painful mediocrity, if even, of today's music. I wish it were better, so that I wouldn't feel like slamming my head into the wall when I'm in public.
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 1/24/13 , edited 1/24/13
Gonna second the people pointing out the following:

a) Music has always been 90% crap, 10% good.
b) It's easy to look back and say 'all the music of the XXs was so much better' because most of the bad from back then has faded into obscurity.
c) Like all art, music is a very subjective thing anyway. What defines 'good music'? Critical reception? Popular reception? Technical merit? Personal enjoyment? You'll get a different answer from pretty much everyone you ask.
Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
What about just make you own music and forget about all the shit?
63243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

AruarianDance wrote:


moneygrip3030 wrote:

Kid Koala's 12 bit blues is amazing. It's post modern blues / hip hop and all recorded live on an old SP1200. Pillowfight the new Dan the Automator joint is also great... I could list quite a few more new albums that are awesome. My point is the music is out there you just have to dig for it...


KID KOALA IS F'ING BRILLIANT! Emperor's main course and prelude and the kiss were things I was thinking of when I mentioned sampling.what a genius


I've been a Koala fan since way way back, like 97. I've never seen anyone straight rock a party like he does. And I respect the fact that he's still str8t vinyl, no serato or file scratching for him. Check out pillowfight, it's automator and koala on the cuts. And the new Deltron3030 is finally coming out soon. Rejoice... Also, the DJ shadow mix "all basses covered", the one that got him kicked out of a South Beach club for being too future is sublime... The music is out there folks. You just have to know what you're looking for, or the occasional happy accident...

Posted 1/24/13
tastes are subjective music is not, you cannot doubt musical quality and the natural talent the artist has. Also, my sister was telling me that MTV actually used to play decent music in the 90's, I was shocked then she told me it was coal chamber, l7 etc I was like...
Posted 1/24/13

moneygrip3030 wrote:


AruarianDance wrote:


moneygrip3030 wrote:

Kid Koala's 12 bit blues is amazing. It's post modern blues / hip hop and all recorded live on an old SP1200. Pillowfight the new Dan the Automator joint is also great... I could list quite a few more new albums that are awesome. My point is the music is out there you just have to dig for it...


KID KOALA IS F'ING BRILLIANT! Emperor's main course and prelude and the kiss were things I was thinking of when I mentioned sampling.what a genius


I've been a Koala fan since way way back, like 97. I've never seen anyone straight rock a party like he does. And I respect the fact that he's still str8t vinyl, no serato or file scratching for him. Check out pillowfight, it's automator and koala on the cuts. And the new Deltron3030 is finally coming out soon. Rejoice... Also, the DJ shadow mix "all basses covered", the one that got him kicked out of a South Beach club for being too future is sublime... The music is out there folks. You just have to know what you're looking for, or the occasional happy accident...



I shall, only heard him last year, str8 funkay
63243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
for those that have lost faith in the art of the DJ due to those fake ass punks who just press play and pump their fists on stage. I'm talking to you girl talk and skrillex. Here you go :

https://soundcloud.com/djshadow/all-basses-covered-low-end
21455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
SHE GOT A BIG BOOTY SO I CALL HER BIG BOOTY!!!

TWO CHAINZZZz
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

AruarianDance wrote:

tastes are subjective music is not, you cannot doubt musical quality and the natural talent the artist has. Also, my sister was telling me that MTV actually used to play decent music in the 90's, I was shocked then she told me it was coal chamber, l7 etc I was like...


How so? How do you judge 'musical quality'?
Likewise, how can you judge 'natural talent', and how important is it in relation to skill that comes from hard work and practice?


Seriously, tell me from an entirely objective point of view what 'decent music' is.
Posted 1/24/13
decent is just a word which people use to express a liking to their taste in music, It doesn't mean it contains any musical value, instruments, innovation or uniqueness, someone can use a standard drum loop and put some catchy vocals on it and people might like it, doesn't make it good. as for the other stuff you said you're reading in to it to much, you know what musical quality and natural talent are. Take a classical pianist, someone like Chopin, people can play his music but not how he did it, with elegance and passion, skill is built up but very few people are born with natural talent but there are some and it shows when they play an instrument especially.
Posted 1/24/13

moneygrip3030 wrote:

for those that have lost faith in the art of the DJ due to those fake ass punks who just press play and pump their fists on stage. I'm talking to you girl talk and skrillex. Here you go :

https://soundcloud.com/djshadow/all-basses-covered-low-end


you like cut chemist? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYwjvqYU29U
46201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/24/13

-Vega- wrote:

What about just make you own music and forget about all the shit?


He can't, his brain is incapable of such complicated thought processes.
63243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
I've been making my own music for years. As technology progresses I've gone from a AK2000 and cubase to reason and ableton live. The problem is I'm my own worst critic, plus when you're working on a track after the 200th time you've heard it you hate it whether it's good or not.
11175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Illinois
Offline
Posted 1/24/13
Its really to each their own when it comes to music. Personally i dont care too much for this music but i dont really judge others.
First  Prev  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.