First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Who here is disturbed by the poorly made music in the 21st century?
61029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F / Now I'm in VA...d...
Offline
Posted 11/6/12

Thepoorfool wrote:

My view on music is that in America and throughout the world, it peaked in the 60s-70s and 80s, the 90s were a cool-down period in my opinion, i HAVE to ask the members of this site there opinion on the poorly made, often terrible music being made in the 21s century, why is this happening? What happened to the greatness of music?

While there are SOME good bands being made now like "Icon for Hire", there nothing compared to the greatness of the past era's, like metal gods Black Sabbath, Pop rock gods Fleetwood Mac, and many other artists of the various musical genre's we have experienced.

Music being made now is mostly repeated lyrics and senseless and poorly thought out back-round sound...as for the instrumental quality that has declined as well.

I have to ask, why has this happened? What do you people think?


Is this for all music, or for rap in particular, because I KNOW rap went to shit, IMO!
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Georgia
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
I agree. Im 16 and i dont really care for the music that comes out today.I only listen to the oldies' station here. I think the reason why, well one of the reasons, is because of how we know the "artists" too well now. Stuff like twitter and facebook, its like we know too much about them, and for some reason...that's the reason..music sucks? lol that makes no since, but im sure social media is part of the problem. And also the music industry has gone DOWN DOWN DOWN!! It used to be about making good music, now all they care about is being a star and making money. Its more about looks. And these shows like american idol, the voice, etc, make it even worse. Back in the day when music was good, you had to work HARD!! Nowadays, you can just go on one of those show, make yourself memorable, and your now a star. A billion people out there can sing, but the one identifying mark they have to make good music is just....i dont know...missing.
6610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 11/6/12

DragonHaiku wrote:


karmacide wrote:


Tophatjames wrote:

Gangnam Style, Nuff said.


^^


^^^



^^^^


30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Georgia
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
Amen!, light my fire, once i hear that .....mmm
34883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In a trash can wa...
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
This is for all music, what i am TRYING to get at is, as some others put it before, its more about profit now, as in earlier years it was about talent and awesomeness, i am SO very pleased that so many people responded to this with so many different views and opinions, i try to spread the good oldies music that i listen to around, but to be honest, i also listen to current music.

I test stuff out, and if i dislike it goes in the garbage bin for me, i am by NO means saying ALL music being made now is bad, some of it is VERY good, i agree you need to know where to look to find good music, but what i am TRYING to say is, i believe very strongly that the talented artists of this generation are being pushed away from fame because of people wanting to make profits, that being said i just like to stick with golden stuff from the past that I know i like and that is good.
It is a fact that the quality of music has declined, that cannot be denied.

I must say, i am a die-hard oldies music fan, that is unlikely to ever change.

Thanks to all the people who responded to this forum.

nina79 
22270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Somewhere in the...
Online
Posted 11/6/12
the music today does not have any meaning to it like back then. some may do, but thats mostly the ones thats not about degrading women, and talking about sex, money , and drugs.
Evat 
38368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/12

DaniGirl96 wrote:

I agree. Im 16 and i dont really care for the music that comes out today.I only listen to the oldies' station here. I think the reason why, well one of the reasons, is because of how we know the "artists" too well now. Stuff like twitter and facebook, its like we know too much about them, and for some reason...that's the reason..music sucks? lol that makes no since, but im sure social media is part of the problem. And also the music industry has gone DOWN DOWN DOWN!! It used to be about making good music, now all they care about is being a star and making money. Its more about looks. And these shows like american idol, the voice, etc, make it even worse. Back in the day when music was good, you had to work HARD!! Nowadays, you can just go on one of those show, make yourself memorable, and your now a star. A billion people out there can sing, but the one identifying mark they have to make good music is just....i dont know...missing.


This post makes you look like an idiot.
Alow me to point out the most ridiculous things you said.

1. " I think the reason why, well one of the reasons, is because of how we know the "artists" too well now. Stuff like twitter and facebook, its like we know too much about them, and for some reason...that's the reason..music sucks? lol that makes no since, but im sure social media is part of the problem."
Right from the beginning you demonstrate that you have no idea what you are talking about.

2. "And also the music industry has gone DOWN DOWN DOWN!! It used to be about making good music, now all they care about is being a star and making money."
Since when was the music industry a fucking charity? We're not talking about YAMAHA here; the music industry has always been about profit, not about some cheap, idealistic bullshit.

3. "And these shows like american idol, the voice, etc, make it even worse. Back in the day when music was good, you had to work HARD!! Nowadays, you can just go on one of those show, make yourself memorable, and your now a star."
You make it sound like it's easy to get famous from one of those shows. Are you saying that without putting in any hard work you can audition for one of those shows along with thousands of other people and make it far enough to be memorable?

4. "A billion people out there can sing, but the one identifying mark they have to make good music is just....i dont know...missing."
If you have a billion people sing only a few thousand of them will be really good and only a few dozen of them will be great. What you said here is an insult to vocalists around the world. I must also add that someone can write the greatest song ever, but without a musician capable of playing it it will remain a mere fantasy.

.........
I just quoted every main point of your argument...
What have you been doing in english class? Texting friends? Playing with your phone? Listening to music? Everything besides paying attention?
In case you are wondering, the format of your post is a persuasive essay if i'm not mistaken. It's something that they teach you how to do properly in highschool level english classes and something you are expected to know how to write as a highschool student. If the age in your profile is correct, you should be capable of giving a more intelligible opinion here. I am surely mistaken about a few of the details on english in the educational system, and I admit that my english skills have become quite poor since graduating from highschool, but the point remains that even if the grammar of your post was perfect (because who gives a shit on the internet) the quality is far below what should be expected of someone your age.
Sorry to sound so harsh but your post gave me a headache.
-Paul- 
22530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/6/12 , edited 11/6/12
Evat 
38368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/12

Thepoorfool wrote:

This is for all music, what i am TRYING to get at is, as some others put it before, its more about profit now, as in earlier years it was about talent and awesomeness


The music industry was never about "talent and awesomeness." In the past good music is what sold, now looks sell more, that's all there is to it. Most industries are about profit, the music industry is no different and you'd be a fool to deny it.
17208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
I can only be disturbed by it if I listen to it. Which I don't do much of it.

Pop music, I generally dislike (it all sounds the same) but there are several artists whose music I do like. Though come to think of it, most of them are outside the US...
20520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Texas
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
I'm not disturbed, because I have a choice of what music I can listen to. Although it does infuriate me that the youth of today is so infatuated by the outer appearance of a band rather than actually judging it by their music.

You'll see that as technology progresses we'll lose the human quality of music, as to writing your own music music and playing your own music without the really advanced keyboards that can play any instrument now a days. Vocaloid is an example as to how one day real talent won't matter anymore. (Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend Vocaloid fans out there.)
2114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
LOL futurist music . . . Techno or Trance . . .
9127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Man these days it's not so much the lyrics but the beat that people enjoy. I'm a big fan of 80s rock, but I don't consider the music now to be "poorly made" I think it would be better if you accepted new things rather then shunned them
45030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
It isn't a matter of a lack of good music, it's just that we're buried by the sheer amount we've accumulated these past decades that, by the fact preference is subjective, we're probably gonna have a disdain for a majority of all compiled music. For instance I personally don't see what is so squee-worthy over all the Beetles songs, there are a few good ones aye but nothing I'd travel for. Apparently that is blasphemy to some but eh, you get the idea.
1130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / World Wide Web
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
I tend to try and give new music as chance but it always comes down to the same result.
I realize the song consists mainly of humming or lala noices repeated over and over again, with a boring pointless chorus every once in a while, and at that point I get into "GTFO of the station" mode.
It feels as i f music these days has no depth but I think that has to do with the sheer overabundance of music. The music industry is so big that it's hard to come by something new and fresh, most of it has been done before.
So artists these days ends up spitting out pointless songs for nothing but profit and PR.

But people are free to listen to whatever music they like... whatever it's the lyrics or the beat, or a combination of the two...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.