First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
states legalize cannabis a light political discussion
3603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Pot needs to be legalized because it's literally killing people in Mexico.

Stop funneling money to the cartels and stop putting people in prison here.
3603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 11/7/12 , edited 11/7/12
also


A study released Wednesday by a respected Mexican think tank asserts that proposals to legalize the recreational use of marijuana in Colorado, Oregon and Washington could cut Mexican drug cartels' earnings from traffic to the U.S. by as much as 30 percent.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g2UcAPw-36ES8g3ny7DfYvtcHzJg?docId=25b087c5ebc44438a78f0d0a7d2cf63b

1066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shinagawa
Offline
Posted 11/7/12

Keiek5 wrote:


Kageru77 wrote:

If alcohol is legal and regulated, marijuana should be also. Alcohol consumption has caused more deaths exponentially, and should be considered the more dangerous of the two. The men who founded this country this country smoked pot, grew pot, and utilized it as a resource for paper and fabric, why shouldn't adults be aloud to do the same in this day and age.






So you agree on legalizing alcohol was a huge mistake. And now you want to make more?

I know that what you want to do is none of my business, but isn't the people living around you also affected by this? With any drug, you lose your judgement the more you take it. If some dumb-ass decides to go for a drive when he's stoned and hits the neighbours kid with his car, is it still the pot smoking persons business? I'm not saying you would, but if we legalize it, dumb people will fuck shit up for other people than themselves.

Seriously... the only reason to legalize pot would be for the economy of the country or giving the gangs less power.
63173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Bonne Lake, WA
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Experimentation with the laws will be necessary.

There needs to be some research into the productivity levels of the labor force over different levels of work and education, and then a combination of the two.

Cannabis should also be researched much more thoroughly for it's medical value in various areas of the brain.

My fear is that among the less educated, cannabis will result in lower productivity, but may also help productivity among the people that are more educated. that's just from my own observations of people that do use it. Cannabis, if anything, helps separate the emotions from words, causing people that are more reserve to be able to talk a little more openly about their thoughts. It may help highly intelligent people better explain their ideas, thus increasing some production levels.

at the same time, it might make dumb people just same more stupid stuff.

dlb 
24143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
colorado i think
58955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Right behind you.
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
I wouldnt get my hopes up about the whole Colorado legalizing weed, after all its more of a symbolic victory more than anything. Weed is still illegal at the federal level. Therefore the sale of weed for recreational use is still illegal. Now the one thing that might change is that the states will choose not to prosecute people at the state level, giving people who smoke weed more breathing room to do it at home and what not. Also, even if weed were to be legalized, life would not change that much. With the exception that people would be able to smoke in designated public places. Most public places dont allow smoking anyway, outside of specific areas. Driving while high would still be illegal, going to work while high would still be frowned upon. Wouldnt be able to smoke in most leased apartments and smoking inside of your home would decrease property value due to the residual smell, much like with cigarette smoke. The upside to legalizing weed is the profits from taxation would be huge, and pretty much all local weed growers would be forced out of business by large companies in a matter of months. So there is a chance that violence would drop due to the lack of need for weed smuggling/illegal sales.

As for the argument that weed should be legal because its less damaging than alcohol is a pretty silly statement, just because it could be seen as more damaging than alcohol, doesnt mean its a good reason to legalize it. That would be like saying that lead paint should be legal because the use of asbestos which is far more toxic is legal.

There are benefits to the legalization of weed from a fiscal point of view, but thats about it.
3603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Weed doesn't really leave a lasting scent that sticks to the walls like cigarettes do, thankfully... especially if you have the A/C going.
21463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
I say go for it. What I'm interested in seeing is how the State laws will circumvent the Federal. More power to them.
38076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
people are going to buy it regardless, so why not legalize it and tax it? pot itself doesn't have the detrimental effects people seem to associate it with. the only thing it really does is mellow you out. there are also health benefits associated with marijuana smoking, such as:

improved lung functions
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/6240874/Marijuana-may-improve-lung-function

and improved memory and neuron growth. along with alleviation of anxiety and depression.
http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/marijuana-improves-memory/
3100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/8/12
Glad to see a lot of progressive thinking in this thread.
50321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/8/12 , edited 11/8/12
It should remain illegal because it's lethal to brain development in children and adolescents.

It bothers me when I see parents smoking cigarettes around their children... we don't really need more issues, that is, parents smoking pots around their children.


There's also research studies that show the drug can slow cognitive abilities and thinking... if you don't believe me, go to Google Scholar and look up the papers.
23907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cocoon
Online
Posted 11/8/12
Thought this topic was to "legalise cannibals"..
22028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/8/12

Kageru77 wrote:

If alcohol is legal and regulated, marijuana should be also. Alcohol consumption has caused more deaths exponentially, and should be considered the more dangerous of the two. The men who founded this country smoked pot, grew pot, and utilized it as a resource for paper and fabric, why shouldn't adults be aloud to do the same in this day and age.


Actually, we don't know for sure if the Founding Fathers grew cannabis, but you're right, we should legalize it anyway.
18603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Seattle, and ever...
Offline
Posted 11/8/12 , edited 11/8/12


There's also a lot of studies about how much more widespread STDs are amongst homosexual demographics (in the US at least). Just sayin'.

Free choice in personal affairs.


bingo666 wrote:

Pot needs to be legalized because it's literally killing people in Mexico.

Stop funneling money to the cartels and stop putting people in prison here.


Yes. That. And we lose many good law enforcement and Coast Guard guys over such senseless conflicts. Civilians too I guess.
49017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/8/12 , edited 11/8/12

saksiss wrote:

Thought this topic was to "legalise cannibals"..


Every argument needs a counterpoint - someone has to play devils advocate some time otherwise the argument becomes one-sided and pointless when there's nothing to compare to.
That said lets get on with disagreeing.


GayAsianBoy wrote:

It should remain illegal because it's lethal to brain development in children and adolescents.

It bothers me when I see parents smoking cigarettes around their children... we don't really need more issues, that is, parents smoking pots around their children.


There's also research studies that show the drug can slow cognitive abilities and thinking... if you don't believe me, go to Google Scholar and look up the papers.


There are also papers and studies that suggest it does the opposite to thinking and cognitive processes. This is why it needs more proper studies, and funding for said studies. Again, we're not suggesting that children and adolescents smoke it, the same way we don't want kids drinking!

The point of making an argument like that is that you've not backed it up with any actual studies just a "Google is your friend" quote. True Google IS our friend but none the less, makes your argument far less viable.
In addition, as has been stated repeatedly humans need to be able to exercise CAUTION. This means the morons who D&D and smoke around their children will do...exactly as they always have done. Until the state can police peoples thoughts and their activities in their homes this will not change (not to mention needing a DNA test and breath test to start your car).
What positives does alcohol have as a beverage for consumption? And medically (well...cleaning my pipe after a heavy session but that's it! ;)). Sure I love a pint as much as the next person but I know that large quants (or even small if you're weak to it) of alcohol will damage me. The hangover alone is enough to make that all too apparent. Not to mention...getting drunk always seems to bring out the worst in human nature, whether its agression or stupidity (no, flashing your knockers/knickers for the chavs with the camera phones is NOT a good idea and WILL haunt you at work on Monday).
That's alcohol, the chemical that can easily kill you through shear overconsumption on a single night out.

Cannabis? Lets see...from what I've read it'd take more high-quality green than you can pack into a wheelbarrow to have the same toxic effect from its active ingredients (namely THC and CBD).
Sure it can bring on mental illness in those succeptible, but so can alcohol! Yet alcohol drinkers are largely seen as the norm or even heroes (those who can drink oh so much and still stand)...yet even a 50-something parent of 4 who works 60 hours weeks and smokes a liddle J at the weekend to calm their nerves and relax is a criminal. Socially its backwards. Economically its backwards. And humans are always backwards when it comes to things that can be "potentially dangerous" yet if an adult can make an "educated choice" about alcohol or nicotine, why not Cannabis which has been around for just as long and just as widely proliferated.
Yes...we need more studies but that can only be achieved by working towards a greater understanding!
Christ, if we can use cocaine in Rhinoplasty (nosejobs...I think that's the proper term for nosejobs?) as a painkiller or even as an extract with adrenaline in dental procedures why not use a naturally occurring painkiller to treat all sorts of other illnesses that its already used for and not leave the users worried about legal ramifications?! And why not let adults make "educated choices" over this too?
Then tax the balls of it if you must?

We're not saying people SHOULD or MUST smoke pot. Just that people should be given the option as adults and the same restrictions as alcohol drinkers and tobacco smokers. Not force their kids to do it either...
(And some people could seriously do with mellowing the hell out!...I serve so many people at work who could do with sitting down with a small J and a pizza...maybe if they did I'd have to toke less often to deal with being treated like an idiot because I work in a shop and don't wear a suit to work.)

FYI I'm based in the UK so this doesn't have a direct impact on me as such. I just see this as a light in the fight for closed-mindedness amongst the upper echelons of society. If I want a weedy weekend I can still save up and go away to Amsterdam...but I'd like to be able to enjoy a joint in my garden outside my house (which I pay my rent for with money gainfully earned and not a penny from benefits!) without feeling like a pariah or risking a visit from the local Police.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.