First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
states legalize cannabis a light political discussion
Posted 11/8/12
Its about time. This goes to show how much effort its taken after 75 years to get it one step closer to being removed off the federal dangerous drugs list. They recently removed marijuana off the school's DARE program. SIGN OF THE TIMES

I heard the legal states are going to tax it at 40%, it is "high" but at least its giving a chance for everyone either the consumer or the provider to help their communities, schools, and state budgets to balance out. I'm willing to bet money these two states will be prime examples and more will follow within the next 4 years


Colorado and Washington here I come!
3367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Pandemonium
Online
Posted 11/8/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:

It should remain illegal because it's lethal to brain development in children and adolescents.

There's also research studies that show the drug can slow cognitive abilities and thinking... if you don't believe me, go to Google Scholar and look up the papers.


Which is why you don't give it to children.
As for cognitive abilities and thinking... quite the contrary. Cannabis is known for opening one's mind, allowing the user to think much more.
There's a reason why great people like Carl Sagan, Steve Jobs, Francis Crick, Richard Feynman and many more smoked it.
Posted 11/8/12 , edited 11/8/12

Syndicaidramon wrote:


As for cognitive abilities and thinking... quite the contrary. Cannabis is known for opening one's mind, allowing the user to think much more.


Cannabis DOES slow your reacion time as well as lower men's testosterone levels, lowers sperm count, and gives you cancer.



Syndicaidramon wrote:



There's a reason why great people like Carl Sagan, Steve Jobs, Francis Crick, Richard Feynman and many more smoked it
.

This reason is a stupid reason to think Cannabis is okay to smoke
3603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 11/8/12 , edited 11/8/12

PumeHana92 wrote:
Cannabis DOES slow your reacion time as well as lower men's testosterone levels, lowers sperm count, and gives you cancer.



Got a link to studies?

Specifically one that refutes this:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037687169190068A
shakiv 
24151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Loudon,TN
Offline
Posted 11/8/12

PumeHana92 wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


As for cognitive abilities and thinking... quite the contrary. Cannabis is known for opening one's mind, allowing the user to think much more.


Cannabis DOES slow your reacion time as well as lower men's testosterone levels, lowers sperm count, and gives you cancer.



Syndicaidramon wrote:



There's a reason why great people like Carl Sagan, Steve Jobs, Francis Crick, Richard Feynman and many more smoked it
.

This reason is a stupid reason to think Cannabis is okay to smoke

Everything gives you cancer nowadays........
Posted 11/8/12
As long as no one is high when im driving....
Posted 11/8/12

bingo666 wrote:


PumeHana92 wrote:
Cannabis DOES slow your reacion time as well as lower men's testosterone levels, lowers sperm count, and gives you cancer.



Got a link to studies?

Specifically one that refutes this:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037687169190068A


http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51663
3603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 11/8/12

WizardTizzle wrote:



Agreed with this, in its entirety.




PumeHana92 wrote:



Thanks, although that page doesn't have the actual study linked. :\

I'm sure there's a lot of studies providing evidence for both sides, but in the end lowering of sperm count, lowered testosterone levels and ability to cause cancer are not an excuse to ban consenting adults from the ability to purchase it legally and not aid Mexican cartels and fill our prison up with people and ruin millions of more lives than simply smoking it would cause.
41899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 11/8/12

StealthWar42 wrote:
There's also a lot of studies about how much more widespread STDs are amongst homosexual demographics (in the US at least). Just sayin'.

Free choice in personal affairs.


That is akin to saying straight men are responsible for giving women cervical cancers through spreading the Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) known as Human papillomavirus.






WizardTizzle wrote:


There are also papers and studies that suggest it does the opposite to thinking and cognitive processes. This is why it needs more proper studies, and funding for said studies. Again, we're not suggesting that children and adolescents smoke it, the same way we don't want kids drinking!

The point of making an argument like that is that you've not backed it up with any actual studies just a "Google is your friend" quote. True Google IS our friend but none the less, makes your argument far less viable.
....
....
....And why not let adults make "educated choices" over this too?
Then tax the balls of it if you must?


Here is one of the papers: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.71.3081&rep=rep1&type=pdf

And there are thousands more if you type "Effect of cannabis on brain development" in Google Scholar, not the normal Google page.

You do realise there are papers that try to debunk The Theory of Evolution? That doesn't make those papers valid. A valid paper has to be peer-reviewed by the scientific community and published in a renowned scientific journal.


And yes, I do understand that cannabis has medicinal properties; that's why it should be reserved for medicinal use only... not for public use.


Syndicaidramon wrote:
Which is why you don't give it to children.
As for cognitive abilities and thinking... quite the contrary. Cannabis is known for opening one's mind, allowing the user to think much more.
There's a reason why great people like Carl Sagan, Steve Jobs, Francis Crick, Richard Feynman and many more smoked it.


My point is that, if it becomes legal, then children and adolescents are more likely to have access to those drugs. Just like a lot of 14 years old nowadays are already smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

18603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Seattle, and ever...
Offline
Posted 11/8/12


So you get it then? There's all kinds of harmful things out there but we can engage in them anyway because it's an active life decision. I'll take mine with women, you take yours with other men, and let smokers take theirs with their brains.

Some people's cost-benefit analysis is: yeah, this may impact my intellectual capacity, but getting high is SO awesome, it will offset that.
19971 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / New Mexico USA
Offline
Posted 11/8/12 , edited 11/8/12

Big_A wrote:


Keiek5 wrote:


Kageru77 wrote:

If alcohol is legal and regulated, marijuana should be also. Alcohol consumption has caused more deaths exponentially, and should be considered the more dangerous of the two. The men who founded this country this country smoked pot, grew pot, and utilized it as a resource for paper and fabric, why shouldn't adults be aloud to do the same in this day and age.






So you agree on legalizing alcohol was a huge mistake. And now you want to make more?

I know that what you want to do is none of my business, but isn't the people living around you also affected by this? With any drug, you lose your judgement the more you take it. If some dumb-ass decides to go for a drive when he's stoned and hits the neighbours kid with his car, is it still the pot smoking persons business? I'm not saying you would, but if we legalize it, dumb people will fuck shit up for other people than themselves.

Seriously... the only reason to legalize pot would be for the economy of the country or giving the gangs less power.


I don't know if you were talking to me or the guy that wrote that, but -- "So you agree on legalizing alcohol was a huge mistake. And now you want to make more?" I don't believe anyone said that. Also the same could be said about anything! Dumb people will continue to fuck things up regardless. I think you're just trying to sound smart.

41899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 11/8/12

StealthWar42 wrote:



So you get it then? There's all kinds of harmful things out there but we can engage in them anyway because it's an active life decision. I'll take mine with women, you take yours with other men, and let smokers take theirs with their brains.

Some people's cost-benefit analysis is: yeah, this may impact my intellectual capacity, but getting high is SO awesome, it will offset that.



The two issues are unrelated.
My sex life doesn't affect other children/adolescents, or impede my ability to work or drive a car on the streets.
Besides, Sexually Transmitted Infection can be prevented by using condoms or staying with one partner.
You can't prevent someone smoking pot from becoming mentally deranged.

The problem is legalising it will impact negatively on society as a whole, not just for the individual people.
19971 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / New Mexico USA
Offline
Posted 11/8/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:


StealthWar42 wrote:



So you get it then? There's all kinds of harmful things out there but we can engage in them anyway because it's an active life decision. I'll take mine with women, you take yours with other men, and let smokers take theirs with their brains.

Some people's cost-benefit analysis is: yeah, this may impact my intellectual capacity, but getting high is SO awesome, it will offset that.



The two issues are unrelated.
My sex life doesn't affect other children/adolescents, or impede my ability to work or drive a car on the streets.
Besides, Sexually Transmitted Infection can be prevented by using condoms or staying with one partner.
You can't prevent someone smoking pot from becoming mentally deranged.

The problem is legalising it will impact negatively on society as a whole, not just for the individual people.


"You can't prevent someone smoking pot from becoming mentally deranged."

Good lord, you have some strange facts there mate.
18603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Seattle, and ever...
Offline
Posted 11/8/12


+1
9341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / irst
Offline
Posted 11/9/12 , edited 11/9/12
Since you're wanting facts, here's a fact: I'm pretty tolerant to most "nasty" smells. But the smell of marijuana in the air or on someone's clothes makes me feel like I'm gonna barf like few others can do.

So if someone with that smell hanging all over them is gonna sit down to me on the bus, and If I feel the need to puke all over them, I'll do so, and they can thank me for it. You wanna share your aroma? I'll share something with you, and we'll call it even.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.