have you ever wondered the reason why you were born?
13421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / canada
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
i have come to a point of my life where i'm wondering the reason and the point to why i was born? it is not really in a bad way or a drepressing one, i was wondering if any of you ever felt like this before?
114152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
why does there need to be a reason? are we so self centered that we need a reason to be born? can we not just exist for the sake of existing?

our purpose could simply be to perpetuate our species but we would never accept it because we feel like we need more than that to justify our existence
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
I think about it all the time, and I continue to wonder why I have to live, since there is no good reason for me to be born in this overpopulated world.
38425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 11/7/12

uhohimdead wrote:

why does there need to be a reason? are we so self centered that we need a reason to be born? can we not just exist for the sake of existing?

our purpose could simply be to perpetuate our species but we would never accept it because we feel like we need more than that to justify our existence


The world would be a much better place if humans never existed, so how could we possibly live with that explanation?
114152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 11/7/12 , edited 11/7/12

lordseth23 wrote:


uhohimdead wrote:

why does there need to be a reason? are we so self centered that we need a reason to be born? can we not just exist for the sake of existing?

our purpose could simply be to perpetuate our species but we would never accept it because we feel like we need more than that to justify our existence


The world would be a much better place if humans never existed, so how could we possibly live with that explanation?


saying that the world would be better is a matter of opinion.

" how could we possibly live with that explanation"

we lived our conception passed infancy without knowing anything yet we made it through more or less intact.
13421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / canada
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
of course we need a reason to live! at least that's what i think. to exist just for the sake of existing is something i can never accept.
i believe every one int the world was born for a certain reason...maybe we will never know until we grow old or are on our death bed. but there must be at least one thing when you look back on your life you're able to say, this wouldnt have happen if i wasnt born!! no?
4747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
I don't need a reason for being; I was given life and what I choose to do with it is entirely up to me.
114152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 11/7/12

Darkraivids wrote:

I don't need a reason for being; I was given life and what I choose to do with it is entirely up to me.


i accept this reasoning
39565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
It's normal to wonder why you're here. Existential thought is generally a good thing, as long as it doesn't devolve into The Stopping Mind (A Zen concept, if anyone's wondering.) Ultimately, we define our own purposes in life, and they can change as much as we do over the years. Find your niche, and run with it; see where it leads you. It's the journey that matters, and it's far more interesting than the destination.

Just remember to pause and look back every once in a while; you'll see just how far you've gone.
2086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Yes, this is all a natural part of the human experience. Just take some time to figure yourself out and philosophize.
26718 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Waterloo, Ontario
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Yes, I have pondered this thought on many occasions.
1078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Shinagawa
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
I know why. Too much alcohol and 9 months later...
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 11/7/12 , edited 11/7/12

seostar wrote:

of course we need a reason to live! at least that's what i think. to exist just for the sake of existing is something i can never accept.
i believe every one int the world was born for a certain reason...maybe we will never know until we grow old or are on our death bed. but there must be at least one thing when you look back on your life you're able to say, this wouldnt have happen if i wasnt born!! no?


Oh, I have many reasons to live... Love, friendship, work, play, dreams, desires, aspirations, good food, good times and good places are only some of the reasons I want to wake up tomorrow. So much to do, so little time.

Having reasons to live, conscious or subconscious, is not anything special, all sentients have them whether profound or instinctive, like the desire to mate or the innate desire of the brain and its constituents to be stimulated. But for one to desire a reason to have been born or brought into existence in the first place is asking for too much. Why do you think that sexual desire and the pleasures that accompany sexual intercourse are so potent? Shouldn't it be better if a person has a child as a result of the desire of that person to have a child along with having the capacity to raise one. Instead some people are being born to parents that will have no part with their child and still some others are born to parents that have difficulty feeding themselves, let alone their child.

I think that the desire for a reason to have been brought into existence is selfish. In case you haven't noticed yet, humans are not that special. Sure living on this unimpressive planet, orbiting an unimpressive star orbiting in an unimpressive part of an unimpressive galaxy, it's easy to think that we are the top dogs around here. Don't get me wrong I think that our planet, star and galaxy are amazing but given our present understanding of the universe, our circumstances are very humbling in comparison to the incredible possibilities. I'm not saying that we ought to belittle ourselves and our species, we are still pretty amazing. If the sum of human experience could somehow be turned into a story, it would be both wondrous and tragic at the same time. And it you could put that story into a book, if any alien species, no matter how advanced they are compared to us, could read it, I think that they would still find it a good read.

Something to help you ponder this idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw


Big_A wrote:

I know why. Too much alcohol and 9 months later...


ROFL... A stupid reason but who gives a shit right?!
17524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 11/7/12
Unprotected drunken sex.
Bjaker 
52773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/7/12


Duplicate thread: www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1809/what-is-the-meaning-of-life
Closing this one up!
You must be logged in to post.