First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Is Oreimo a harem?
Posted 11/16/12
I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem
63113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ATX
Online
Posted 11/16/12

Kageru77 wrote:

I guess by definition it can technically called a harem. It doesn't play out like one though, such as rosario or campione. Sure each of the girl characters can find something sweet that they like about him, but they're never competing for his attention. It doesn't feel like a harem show, so I wouldn't call it one. Harems usually have some level of fanservice in them too. I don't remember seeing much if any in Oreimo


in the manga there is ALOT of fanservice
21787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NY
Offline
Posted 11/16/12

latinaloverTX wrote:


Kageru77 wrote:

I guess by definition it can technically called a harem. It doesn't play out like one though, such as rosario or campione. Sure each of the girl characters can find something sweet that they like about him, but they're never competing for his attention. It doesn't feel like a harem show, so I wouldn't call it one. Harems usually have some level of fanservice in them too. I don't remember seeing much if any in Oreimo


in the manga there is ALOT of fanservice


ahhh. I dont read any mangas. I guess having a younger middle school girl with a loli/siscon/eroge complex was enough for them to use in the show without going over the top.
44290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Online
Posted 11/16/12

tenoriryuu wrote:

I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem


what about The World God Only Knows?
Katsuragi has only fallen for one of the girls (in the manga only) he has conquered and that was in a different arc altogether (Goddess Arc)
TWGOK is still considered a harem, yet he has no romantic interest in the other girls other than to find runaway spirit
46331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 11/16/12

Rito2Ru wrote:


tenoriryuu wrote:

I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem


what about The World God Only Knows?
Katsuragi has only fallen for one of the girls (in the manga only) he has conquered and that was in a different arc altogether (Goddess Arc)
TWGOK is still considered a harem, yet he has no romantic interest in the other girls other than to find runaway spirit


Harem: a protagonist (or several protagonists) surrounded, usually amorously, by three or more members of the opposing sex and/or love interests.
20502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/16/12 , edited 11/16/12
Strictly speaking, going from the dictionary definitions, I doubt any anime is a harem.

harem
1634, from Turk. harem, from Arabic haram "wives and concubines," originally "women's quarters," lit. "something forbidden or kept safe," from root of harama "he guarded, forbade."

It's from a polyamarous society, ie one where you can take several wives. Multiple girls liking a guy isn't a harem.
44290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Online
Posted 11/16/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:


tenoriryuu wrote:

I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem


what about The World God Only Knows?
Katsuragi has only fallen for one of the girls (in the manga only) he has conquered and that was in a different arc altogether (Goddess Arc)
TWGOK is still considered a harem, yet he has no romantic interest in the other girls other than to find runaway spirit


Harem: a protagonist (or several protagonists) surrounded, usually amorously, by three or more members of the opposing sex and/or love interests.


So yeah, then Oreimo is a harem, it works


icecreamsnow wrote:

Strictly speaking, going from the dictionary definitions, I doubt any anime is a harem.

harem
1634, from Turk. harem, from Arabic haram "wives and concubines," originally "women's quarters," lit. "something forbidden or kept safe," from root of harama "he guarded, forbade."

It's from a polyamarous society, ie one where you can take several wives. Multiple girls liking a guy isn't a harem.


serious question, what about To Love Ru? polygamy is fair game in it
and I do remember hearing somewhere that Tenchi Muyo ended in Tenchi marrying all the girls (though that might have just been manga only)
The Wise Wizard
73264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 11/16/12

Rito2Ru wrote:
and I do remember hearing somewhere that Tenchi Muyo ended in Tenchi marrying all the girls (though that might have just been manga only)

Tenchi Muyo GXP had Seina marrying all the girls, but the main series did not in any of its incarnations.
44290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Online
Posted 11/16/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:
and I do remember hearing somewhere that Tenchi Muyo ended in Tenchi marrying all the girls (though that might have just been manga only)

Tenchi Muyo GXP had Seina marrying all the girls, but the main series did not in any of its incarnations.

I could not remember at all haha
Thanks for the correction
63113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ATX
Online
Posted 11/17/12

Kageru77 wrote:


latinaloverTX wrote:


Kageru77 wrote:

I guess by definition it can technically called a harem. It doesn't play out like one though, such as rosario or campione. Sure each of the girl characters can find something sweet that they like about him, but they're never competing for his attention. It doesn't feel like a harem show, so I wouldn't call it one. Harems usually have some level of fanservice in them too. I don't remember seeing much if any in Oreimo


in the manga there is ALOT of fanservice


ahhh. I dont read any mangas. I guess having a younger middle school girl with a loli/siscon/eroge complex was enough for them to use in the show without going over the top.


they made kirino more cute and sweet in the manga
63113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ATX
Online
Posted 11/18/12

tenoriryuu wrote:

I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem


what is a love polygon
21561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 11/18/12

latinaloverTX wrote:


tenoriryuu wrote:

I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem


what is a love polygon


A love polygon is far more complicated than one or two separate love triangles. There are multiple overlapping triangles involved, with at least two people being involved in more than one triangle. They can happen in harem-esque series, too, but are almost always played more for laughs than for drama.

School Rumble is a good example, and to a lesser extent, Waiting in the Summer qualifies. If you need to draw up a chart to determine who everyone is in love with... It's a love polygon. (Waiting in the Summer even had a chart drawn up by one of the characters, to illustrate the polygon.)
63113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ATX
Online
Posted 11/18/12

Spazticus wrote:


latinaloverTX wrote:


tenoriryuu wrote:

I guess it would be considered a harem by most people, but I think a harem is the guy liking them all back as well, like in seitokai no ichizon. I consider Oreimo more of a love polygon than a harem


what is a love polygon


A love polygon is far more complicated than one or two separate love triangles. There are multiple overlapping triangles involved, with at least two people being involved in more than one triangle. They can happen in harem-esque series, too, but are almost always played more for laughs than for drama.

School Rumble is a good example, and to a lesser extent, Waiting in the Summer qualifies. If you need to draw up a chart to determine who everyone is in love with... It's a love polygon. (Waiting in the Summer even had a chart drawn up by one of the characters, to illustrate the polygon.)


so oriemo is a love polygon?
21561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 11/18/12
I'd say there are harem elements to the story, but I'd describe it as more of a love polygon. He's not interested in all of them at the same time, and those he dates, he doesn't really stay with for very long. I still think a show can have a harem setup, but not end up being a harem story by the end. Vandread is a good example of what I mean; it's easy to think they'll go the harem route with it at first, but it ends up being a small-scale polygon at most.
31577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / on your lap, purring
Offline
Posted 11/18/12
Technically speaking, yes it is. But it doesn't go about it in your typical harem fashion like Love Hina, Clannad, etc.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.