First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Out of body experiences
2183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 11/22/12 , edited 11/22/12
So we've all heard of out of body experiences. Well, Neuro Surgeons had a patient who had a giant aneurism near her brain stem. They put her under, put on brain monitoring instruments, and started the surgery. Part way through the surgery she went complete Asystole, and her brain stopped functioning. She managed to come back, and what she said shocked many.

"I never saw the main surgery, but I can describe what he looked like in detail. I also never saw the surgery room, but I can describe the tools that were used. The bone saw looked like an electric toothbrush. I could recall what the surgeons were saying during the operation."

It was in fact confirmed that the conversations she heard were accurate, and the tools did look like what she described. She said that after her out of body experience, she began to go through a dark tunnel with a light. "Most likely DMT". Where she saw figures standing before her, and she heard her uncles voice. She said the place felt like pure, unconditional love with no rules.

Anyways, scientists have been debating something important that could change the very way we understand consciousness. The question is whether "mind" requires the brain, or if you can have "mind" without body. Scientifically, it is proposed that out of body experiences occur on the quantum level. Atoms can pass through anything, and they like to stay together. So when the brain "dies", it is possible that the atomic function of the brain simply travels outside of the head, allowing the person to have consciousness outside of their own body.
69606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/22/12 , edited 11/22/12
Pffft, I don't believe in this rubbish. Even if your consciousness could transcend the brain, it would have no way of percepting it's surroundings, since our mind doesn't have eyes or ears, it's our body's senses that make that possible.
14984 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Norway, Oslo
Online
Posted 11/22/12
Wishful thinking only.
2183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 11/22/12 , edited 11/22/12

haikinka wrote:

Pffft, I don't believe in this rubbish. Even if your consciousness could transcend the brain, it would have no way of percepting it's surroundings, since our mind doesn't have eyes or ears, it's our body's senses that make that possible.


Your ears and eyes are all comprised of atoms. Just think of how bubble gum works. You blow a bubble and it expands. similarly, atoms can expand outward the same way. It's not supernatural, it's a part of physics. Who is to say that your mind cannot leave your body. It's not rubbish at all.

Did you know that radio waves can be at 2 places at the exact same time?

We know SO LITTLE about how the human brain creates consciousness. It is extremely ignorant to call this rubbish. If everyone thought like you, there would be no science and we'd still be in the dark ages.

Lastly, how can you explain the fact that thousands of people have reported having out of body experiences from being close to death? Is it the DMT? If so, how can DMT tell them exactly what is going on in the room, and the conversations that are happening.
Posted 11/22/12
Fascinating. (:
Now explain how I can learn to do this.
2183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 11/22/12

_Jurnee_ wrote:

Fascinating. (:
Now explain how I can learn to do this.


Well my friend has had one after he did DMT. So that's one way. The other is said to be really, really good at meditation.
Posted 11/22/12
I've heard art is a form of meditation, maybe I can have an OBE while drawing or painting.
69606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/22/12 , edited 11/22/12

netdisorder wrote:

Your ears and eyes are all comprised of atoms. Just think of how bubble gum works. You blow a bubble and it expands. similarly, atoms can expand outward the same way. It's not supernatural, it's a part of physics. Who is to say that your mind cannot leave your body. It's not rubbish at all.

Did you know that radio waves can be at 2 places at the exact same time?

We know SO LITTLE about how the human brain creates consciousness. It is extremely ignorant to call this rubbish. If everyone thought like you, there would be no science and we'd still be in the dark ages.

Lastly, how can you explain the fact that thousands of people have reported having out of body experiences from being close to death? Is it the DMT? If so, how can DMT tell them exactly what is going on in the room, and the conversations that are happening.


So? The eye uses it's pupil to diffract light. If you make it any bigger than it needs to be, you won't get an image, so I don't think your "bubble gum" analogy and atoms expanding works here. Also, the inside of the eye has to be opaque for the image to be able to be produced, but that's obviously not the case if there's an invisible ghost person flying around watching you. You'll see a pair of eyes floating around otherwise. Unless of course, the ghost mind floaty thing has suddenly developed a new method of seeing things as we do. So yeah, even if out mind doesn't necessarily have to reside in the brain, it wouldn't have the means of sensing it's environment.

Yeah, maybe rubbish was a bit of a strong word, but it's my opinion none-the-less.

I assume you mean electrons, which could apply to radio waves too I don't know to be honest, but yes, I did. And? Your point is?

And I agree that we know very little about the human brain, but I think it's safe to say that our consciousness is created by it. You never see things without a brain being conscious.... but still, I get your point. But if everyone thought like me, by now there would be no war, we would have perfected mass-energy conversion and would be masters of the universe by now.

The same reason billions of people believing in religion and other silly things. Just because lots of people say it's true doesn't make it true. Or maybe it's just the way our brain acts when it senses death is imminent, like that thing about your life flashing before your eyes. Lol, and are you talking about the drug DMT? 'Cause that stuff fucks you up reaaal baaad.
4961 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/22/12
I did it once (by accident) when I was younger while meditating. I could feel and see myself rising out of my body partially, it scared the crap out of me , then I "snapped" back. I never tried it again.

I am also a lucid dreamer, and many of my dreams come true, although I do not have the ability to change what happens because when I realize it, it's too late.

As a child I was a really bad sleepwalker, and my dream experiences were more intense. I also think I may have experienced "night terrors", but I'm not sure if that's what it was.

Now that I am older, occasionally I have vertigo, and I have frequent bouts of insomnia. That's when I'm mostly here on Crunchyroll. I do, however have a small tumor on my pituitary gland, in my brain, (non-cancerous) but I don't think that would cause any of those things. I don't know how long I've had it, but I had symptoms of it in my teens. :/
43600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 11/22/12

netdisorder wrote:

So we've all heard of out of body experiences. Well, Neuro Surgeons had a patient who had a giant aneurism near her brain stem. They put her under, put on brain monitoring instruments, and started the surgery. Part way through the surgery she went complete Asystole, and her brain stopped functioning. She managed to come back, and what she said shocked many.

"I never saw the main surgery, but I can describe what he looked like in detail. I also never saw the surgery room, but I can describe the tools that were used. The bone saw looked like an electric toothbrush. I could recall what the surgeons were saying during the operation."

It was in fact confirmed that the conversations she heard were accurate, and the tools did look like what she described. She said that after her out of body experience, she began to go through a dark tunnel with a light. "Most likely DMT". Where she saw figures standing before her, and she heard her uncles voice. She said the place felt like pure, unconditional love with no rules.

Anyways, scientists have been debating something important that could change the very way we understand consciousness. The question is whether "mind" requires the brain, or if you can have "mind" without body. Scientifically, it is proposed that out of body experiences occur on the atomic level. Atoms can pass through anything, and they like to stay together. So when the brain "dies", it is possible that the atomic function of the brain simply travels outside of the head, allowing the person to have consciousness outside of their own body.


This is ridiculous. Whoever wrote this article clearly has no understanding of how neuroscience works.

Asystole does not mean the brain "stops" functioning. If the brain "stops" functioning, then that person is 100% dead, can never come back to life.

The reason she saw images is because the brain is still functioning and she was probably dreaming about things. Even in a coma, people still dream, because the brain functions 24/7.

Out of body experience is bollocks and has no scientific evidence to back it up.

There is a James Randi Skeptics $1 million challenge for anybody being able to prove the supernatural abilities to them. http://www.randi.org/site/

The fact that nobody is able to claim this prize indicate that the supernatural that people claim to exist does not exist.
Posted 11/22/12
I sometimes have sleep paralysis, one time I did and I tore out of my body.
Everything was hazy, I went down the stairs and into the kitchen, I saw my dad there and he was frozen in place.
I then snapped back into my body.

Coincidence or not, I went downstairs to find my dad in the kitchen.
2183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 11/22/12 , edited 11/22/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

So we've all heard of out of body experiences. Well, Neuro Surgeons had a patient who had a giant aneurism near her brain stem. They put her under, put on brain monitoring instruments, and started the surgery. Part way through the surgery she went complete Asystole, and her brain stopped functioning. She managed to come back, and what she said shocked many.

"I never saw the main surgery, but I can describe what he looked like in detail. I also never saw the surgery room, but I can describe the tools that were used. The bone saw looked like an electric toothbrush. I could recall what the surgeons were saying during the operation."

It was in fact confirmed that the conversations she heard were accurate, and the tools did look like what she described. She said that after her out of body experience, she began to go through a dark tunnel with a light. "Most likely DMT". Where she saw figures standing before her, and she heard her uncles voice. She said the place felt like pure, unconditional love with no rules.

Anyways, scientists have been debating something important that could change the very way we understand consciousness. The question is whether "mind" requires the brain, or if you can have "mind" without body. Scientifically, it is proposed that out of body experiences occur on the atomic level. Atoms can pass through anything, and they like to stay together. So when the brain "dies", it is possible that the atomic function of the brain simply travels outside of the head, allowing the person to have consciousness outside of their own body.


This is ridiculous. Whoever wrote this article clearly has no understanding of how neuroscience works.

Asystole does not mean the brain "stops" functioning. If the brain "stops" functioning, then that person is 100% dead, can never come back to life.

The reason she saw images is because the brain is still functioning and she was probably dreaming about things. Even in a coma, people still dream, because the brain functions 24/7.

Out of body experience is bollocks and has no scientific evidence to back it up.

There is a James Randi Skeptics $1 million challenge for anybody being able to prove the supernatural abilities to them. http://www.randi.org/site/

The fact that nobody is able to claim this prize indicate that the supernatural that people claim to exist does not exist.


I didn't say Asystole was brain death. I said Asystole took place, and following that the brain died.

Heart stops beating, then brain dies shortly after. That's the course it takes.

Also, how can you explain how people are able to recount exactly what went on in the room, including conversations. And of course nobody can claim that prize, because it can't be proved, naturally. Lastly, what we are talking about isn't supernatural. It's about the displacement of atoms, which is very much something that can be proven.

24187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 11/22/12
i had a out of body experience i had a dream that i was walking on a dock with bushes in the middle with a cement pot and a house in the back . The next week i went downtown and looked to my left and saw it my was so shocked i said shocked by it that i raised my voice and let out a WHAT THE F***
26771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 11/22/12 , edited 11/22/12

netdisorder wrote:
Also, how can you explain how people are able to recount exactly what went on in the room, including conversations. And of course nobody can claim that prize, because it can't be proved, naturally. Lastly, what we are talking about isn't supernatural. It's about the displacement of atoms, which is very much something that can be proven.

From a Christian perspective, we believe that the whole person is a physical body and spirit. Thus, if the brain dies, the person's spirit leaves the body, and I believe that's how they are able to perceive all their surroundings.

However, I agree that there really is so much we don't know about the brain. I'd certainly be interested in seeing what kind of results they get when as they try to prove it. Isn't there a show called ghost hunters or something (i don't remember what it's called), but they use some kind of device to measure the presence of a ghost? I think it would be worthwhile to utilize one of those devices the next time they plan on opening up someone's head.
8508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / i'm there. you kn...
Offline
Posted 11/22/12
i do things like this all the time inside the dreamscape of my mind. i can control my brain very well, and i can mostly control all of my dreams.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.