First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
Sword Art Online: Plot being ruined.
37724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Somewhere i Belong
Offline
Posted 12/31/12
24107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12
Sure they were there for 2 years I get that. But this anime had source material that was already written. Do they just jump ship and toss in a bunch of filler just because the source material didn't do all of this? Sure they could but then you people would whine about the filler. Really I don't get anime fans these days. They never really appreciate a series for what it is they either want more or they want less. Some of the big reasons we don't get some of the really amazing and unique animes nearly as much as we did just 10-15 years ago is because the fans stagnate the field with their complaints. No studio wants to take the chance anymore. The Japanese fans are just as bad these days if not worse than the rest of the world.
1465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 12/31/12 , edited 12/31/12


I may just love you xD It would seem 'critics' have been breeding en masse the last few years and have lost the ability not to whine about every little detail of every anime
107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12
Yeah really if anyone tries something that hasn't been done or is similar to another anime it just gets criticized. I've heard so many people call SAO a crappy .hack rip off.
24107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12

xCrimsonEX wrote:



I may just love you xD It would seem 'critics' have been breeding en masse the last few years and have lost the ability not to whine about every little detail of every anime


Yeah I get what they mean in a way but art is the expression of the artist not the person looking at the art. Anime used to be exactly that and now it's become so much less because the fans don't let the artists express themselves. I understand critiques help shape anime and that's fine but these days EVERYONE is a critic and that serves only to stagnate and kill an industry.
21027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12
I don't know what happens in the two other games that the light novels have, but I didn't mind the second season because of how the show was set up. The second half is pretty much the wrap up and aftermath of having two years of your life stolen from you, how people around the characters coped and trying to regain normalcy. Even forgiving what stole those years and killed those people so you can move on with your life. No, it's not as exciting or gripping as the first season but it did help wrap up loose ends and gave it a little follow up adventure. Nothing to go yelling over.
1465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 12/31/12 , edited 12/31/12

Can you imagine Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, Big O, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (movie), and etc surviving with the current bunch? I honestly would fear for their success I really see no benefit from critics so I guess thats one area we'd have to disagree
Posted 12/31/12

Mythalian wrote:
They never really appreciate a series for what it is they either want more or they want less.


Speaking for SAO strictly, the show's premise was about being stuck in a video game and while it delivered, it failed in execution; the plot and characters were a mess.


Some of the big reasons we don't get some of the really amazing and unique animes nearly as much as we did just 10-15 years ago is because the fans stagnate the field with their complaints.


I disagree, anime studios now cater to what is popular now (i.e. moe) since that is the most profitable route for them. Fans are the customers and they make the market.


No studio wants to take the chance anymore. The Japanese fans are just as bad these days if not worse than the rest of the world.


The studios don't take chances now because it's unlikely for them to profit when turning away from the popular; they need to make money in order to sustain themselves, too.
18031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12 , edited 12/31/12
I think Sword Art Online was done really well. I've never watched an anime that made me so excited to see what would happen next and also how relieved I felt for Kirito as he was finally able to attain Asuna back. The anime appealed to most of my emotions, and I say that is win in my book~ But of course this is only my opinion, so I understand what I find to be great may not be for everyone else. But it doesn't mean I will demoralize people's opinions simply because of what kind of animes they do like or find appealing.

I rank SAO rather highly amongst Angel Beats and Guilty Crown, my top two favorite animes of all time.

=) Can't wait for another season of SAO coming within the new year~
18031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12


Well not to sound too harsh but... if you believed this to be a bleach mmorpg then you obviously didn't watch anything, much less the first episode of SAO. Bleach compromises of every individual having their own unique zanpaktou (sword), with personal shikai's and bankais and all that~ It was nothing like Bleach, at all. x.x....

-fears for the future of humanity-
23096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/31/12 , edited 12/31/12

Esper56 wrote:

The new bad guy in the ALO arc is the blandest shittiest bad guy ever.
I'd disagree. He kept 300 people hostage, was going to take away Kirito's girlfriend through marriage, performed experiments on all of them, and much more. There have been worse villains both in video games and anime (of course this is all merely opinion).

As for the LN, I haven't read them so I can't really say if they are good or bad.





I would say he feels a little out of place. He's a strict caricature, a villain that absolutely is no more nor less than the evil actions we wittiness and know of, and in an anime where the other villain is made out be a little bit more grey than THAT. He's jarring, grotesque and down right ridiculous; it beats you over the head with how evil he is.
24107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/31/12

AsuraCryin wrote:

Speaking for SAO strictly, the show's premise was about being stuck in a video game and while it delivered, it failed in execution; the plot and characters were a mess.

I don't know where you get that the characters were "a mess" Character development was pretty much on target for a 25 episode series. Sure there were plenty of characters that were introduced and did not have a lot of extra attention. We call these supporting characters. They are not intended to be fully fleshed out because they are there to move the story along and not much else. The two characters the story is mainly about are very well developed.


I disagree, anime studios now cater to what is popular now (i.e. moe) since that is the most profitable route for them. Fans are the customers and they make the market.

Catering to what is popular is also how you stagnate a market because if that is all you do then once what is popular is no longer popular what else is there? If you aren't breathing new life into an industry the industry implodes.


The studios don't take chances now because it's unlikely for them to profit when turning away from the popular; they need to make money in order to sustain themselves, too.

This is playing things the lazy way and that will end up with them losing money. Trends only change when innovation happens. The problem is that trends don't last just because you don't innovate. People lose interest sooner or later. Then your problem is you have to force innovation in a short time which usually results in failure.
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 12/31/12

maexpert wrote:


DomoKevin wrote:

Ok I gotta admit, the first 14 episodes of this were great. I loved where it was going. Dying in the game would make you die in real life? Awesome. Can't log out so now you're screaming for mummy and daddy? Awesome. Evil mastermind who just trapped people in this game for the lulz? Awesome. Oh and before you continue reading, I'm gonna warn you that there are spoilers.

Even though the whole plot of the first 14 episodes weren't as solid, it was enjoyable to watch how Kirito progressed throughout the 2 years. I couldn't get enough of it. But after episode 15, it didn't feel like I was enjoying the anime as much. Because when Kirito was introduced to a new game, I knew that he could log out, could not die in real life if he dies in the game and that he isn't going to be considered as a beater anymore. We have a creepy new villain who wants to marry and have sex with Miss Asuna-chan in her sleep. Yeah...that is so creepy. And we have some incest going on between Kazuto(Kirito) and his sister. I don't like incest. Putting these flaws all together just didn't make the anime seem enjoyable anymore or even suspenseful. After episode 14 I did not like where it was going or was trying to achieve.

I mean, it would be better if they would just keep the same plot. I mean they can do so much from episode 1-25 but just add some badass arcs to it. I love the suspense of a player dying. And Kirito acts really serious every time he see's someone about to die. I mean he has the right to go crazy about it. But now in whatever game he is in right now after episode 14, he still acts freakin serious about dying in the game? Dude take a chill pill, you can respawn back to the nearest town. So what if there are trolls lurking around and killing people for the lulz. Now I think this anime is getting way too cheesy.

So yeah. That's how I thought about the anime after episode 14. Not suspenseful anymore. I'm still gonna watch it until it's finished since I'm curious to what happens in the end. But the anime does not seem as enjoyable as it was anymore. It's a real shame. Sorry for the fanboys and fangirls who love this show, but I did not make this thread to intentionally piss you off. I'm just trying to prove a point.


Important Note (Edited): After watching further into the series even more, I am proud to announce that Sword Art Online is an extremely crap anime with a horribly written story. Even Twilight takes a huge dump on it. I made a review of SAO recently, so I'll show you how I felt of it.



Oh and a shout out for AHTL for helping people realize that this anime is way too overrated. I actually knew some of this but I actually couldn't be stuffed typing it down. So thanks. I'll put what you said in this spoiler button.





Ok, I have to tell you this.
I love you sooo much.
This is the best review I've ever seen.
Better than those fanboys/-girls telling it's awesome because it is.
AHTL made a good review too.
Could you respond to me?, I want to know if I may post this on a anime recommondation source.


Sure thing, I don't mind.

Posted 12/31/12

Mythalian wrote:

I don't know where you get that the characters were "a mess" Character development was pretty much on target for a 25 episode series. Sure there were plenty of characters that were introduced and did not have a lot of extra attention. We call these supporting characters. They are not intended to be fully fleshed out because they are there to move the story along and not much else. The two characters the story is mainly about are very well developed.


I concede on the other two points; I'm very limited in knowledge about that matter anyway so I cannot offer much besides what I posted.

Can you explain why you think they're very well developed? Of course, I will offer my opinion but it's going to be the same old reiteration of other's and my opinions on why Kirito and Asuna are not good characters.

I hate to pull the same old "Gary Stue" card again but that's what I believe Kirito is; he is this holy martyr who is shown to save girls left, has hints of depression, angst, and apparently can defeat the admins of games with sheer willpower. Kirito has little depth as a character because of the plot; too many things falls into his favor just so the story can advance.

Asuna who is stated to be a strong, independent female started out as a good character but as the story went on, her character degraded from that to a damsel in distress. She is hinted to be one of the strongest players in the game yet needs to cower behind Kirito when her guard, Kuradeel. is after her. Despite being hinted to be one of the strongest players, the anime doesn't do anything to show that -- sure, she beats up a fish, some low level thugs, but that's about all she did. Oh, and she became a damsel in distress for all of ALO.

As for the supporting characters, they have little to no actual roles outside their introduction episode except for Klein but even then he's not all too prominent. They essentially become background characters.
Posted 12/31/12
I got up until around episode 12 and i had to stop, because it just wasnt the same anymore.
First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.