First  Prev  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next  Last
Sword Art Online: Plot being ruined.
2495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 12/31/12 , edited 12/31/12
AsuraCryin wrote:

So, it matters if his jacket has paralysis resistance or +50 strength stat? No, it doesn't to the viewer as this is just nitpicking.



I'd say at worst/best (h/e you want to phrase it) they have slight crushes on him which he doesn't return. I'd say that, that is fully justified considering the situation.



Yes, I do blame critics for spouting b.s. and biased opinions that sound genuine. Not everyone has the time to put toward an anime that they don't think is worth it thus every word they read pushes their decision. Don't want responsibility then don't put every little annoyance you had with each and every anime where potential watchers could read them. Again your words, your responsibility. If said politician lies out their rear to get into an elected position then yes I do hold them responsible.


Then this is moot though I will say that you need to check what is feasible and what is not in her situation.



They were introduced mostly, imo, to expand on the -verse and to give you more of a feel for the world you're watching. Some had moments of importance, then gradually faded away. Again feel free to write your own story and deal with supports however you want until then you've really got no say on what the writer decides to do.

13636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Northwest
Offline
Posted 12/31/12
Hey as long as they follow the light novels I couldn't ask for more, well I kinda wished they drew out SAO a bit more and ALO because I feel like they could've drawn them both out for a longer span of episodes which would've been great. I didn't read the light novels so not sure how true the anime was to them
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:

So, it matters if his jacket has paralysis resistance or +50 strength stat? No, it doesn't to the viewer as this is just nitpicking.


It is of utmost importance because it gives the viewer of how the game works; if we don't get information about how the game works, then why should we care the world and why should we care about the characters then?


I'd say at worst/best (h/e you want to phrase it) they have slight crushes on him which he doesn't return. I'd say that, that is fully justified considering the situation.


Except that I recall Lizbeth admitting her love for Kirito; Silicia and Sachi, I will accept that may have crush-level affections for Kirito. It's justifiable that their one-sided love towards him is based off one encounter? That undermines the principles of love.


Yes, I do blame critics for spouting b.s. and biased opinions that sound genuine. Not everyone has the time to put toward an anime that they don't think is worth it thus every word they read pushes their decision. Don't want responsibility then don't put every little annoyance you had with each and every anime where potential watchers could read them. Again your words, your responsibility. If said politician lies out their rear to get into an elected position then yes I do hold them responsible.


Because people not checking their facts and doing research is obviously the fault of the one claiming statements. Seriously, you're going to blame a person who says the sky is green when the people who took it word for word could had simply looked up in the sky to check if it was green or not? That is idiotic; it's automatically my fault because people are weak-willed, wow. I don't know what to say about your bigotry towards critics.




They were introduced mostly, imo, to expand on the -verse and to give you more of a feel for the world you're watching. Some had moments of importance, then gradually faded away. Again feel free to write your own story and deal with supports however you want until then you've really got no say on what the writer decides to do.



Yet most of the verse becomes irrelevant and are broken; I stated this before, Kirito and Asuna dying yet being reincarnated is Deus Ex Machina and it breaks what the game had stated. The PKers became irrelevant so there was no need to bring it into the story; if anything, it bloated and may have taken away from the overall show -- these factors become detractors and can be said to be filler. Again, your flawed way of thinking is a cop out argument to prevent people from posting what they think -- by your standards, no on should talk about SAO until they've actually written a story. See where this goes? This would be an attempt to shut down all discussion.
24179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 1/1/13

AsuraCryin wrote:
Except that I wasn't talking about Asuna but the other girls; I've already mentioned in the thread why I do not buy Asuna and Kirito's romance and I think it is poorly developed. You say that Asuna was zombie-like prior to her interactions with Kirito but I do not see that in her character; the closest moment I can think of her being a bit zombie-like is Episode 2 but it is not that visible in that episode. Please point me out to these "insane" characters you mentioned.


She describes it also herself at one point of the series and defines exactly what made her fall in love with him. The other girls have a crush on him nothing more. And you didn't notice anyone going insane?



Except that I recall Lizbeth admitting her love for Kirito; Silicia and Sachi, I will accept that may have crush-level affections for Kirito. It's justifiable that their one-sided love towards him is based off one encounter? That undermines the principles of love.
.
She said she liked him not loved him. This is a common mistranslation. Suki means like and can be used for even just saying you like a person as a friend but yes it can mean more. Daisuki usually refers to the beginnings of love but even then it is still sometimes used to just mean you really like someones company such as a best friend. Aisu/aisuru/aishiru all refer to actual love and are not used by Lizabeth but ARE used by Asuna. This is more a translation issue so I'll give you this misunderstanding but it doesn't mean you were correct either.
2495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13
AsuraCryin wrote:




Again I point to countless anime that didn't go into details on clothes, equipment, etc. And yeah lets have an entire half-episode dedicated to equipment stats cause thats totally what everyone wants to see



Again in their situation things are different and we're not talking about trade x-item for y-item type things. Kirito took on an ice dragon and you think Lizbeth shouldn't have crush or more on him? Again looking for a reason to hate something that isn't there and isn't even a major plot point as Kirito only has eyes for Asuna.



I find it hilarious you bringing up 'research' when several bits of information you've brought up would've been solved if you'd taken the time to research the story. If 5 doctors tell you the rash on your skin is nothing to worry about and you find out months later that its not just a rash, then you'd be hunting for the heads of the doctors because they're supposed to be trustworthy and well taught. Earned hatred of something with no beneficial effect what so ever seems perfectly within reason. Critics are like cockroaches: both spread some form of disease and neither will do everyone good and disappear.



Kirito beat the first mmo and you're saying he shouldn't have gotten a reward? Delayed (10 seconds to be precise)death phase out + clearing the game = being rewarded by not dying. You complain about the gears not being explained and now turn around and whine about the writer giving you a glimpse of what its like in Aincrad (in regards to PK)? If anything this is more a statement on people and how barbaric they can be in certain conditions. And? Your point? This isn't discussion its you and the other critics whining (to put it lightly) about how the anime didn't do what you wanted or didn't match your wants. So I guess a rap star can critique a movie, a movie star can critique a story, and an author can critique a rap song. No, if they did it would be complete waste of the time it took for them to do it as they have no idea what they're talking about.
20399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

AsuraCryin wrote:
Except that I recall Lizbeth admitting her love for Kirito; Silicia and Sachi, I will accept that may have crush-level affections for Kirito. It's justifiable that their one-sided love towards him is based off one encounter? That undermines the principles of love.
Just want to say that generally speaking don't ever take a translation at face value when it comes to the word "love". Suki and daisuki pretty much mean like and greatly like respectively and they are the words most often used. Translators often translate daisuki as love when used in a confession scenario in an attempt to fit the mood. In some cases it can border on a declaration of love, but it can also be used in a platonic way like affirming friendship or just admiration. There's a reason shoujo romance anime always end up with characters misinterpreting others feelings even when we seem to think statements are clear. Stronger words of love like koi, ai, and renai are more clear but aren't used near as much and translators tend to translate all of these words as love, and while technically can be correctly translated that way they have different nuances.
24179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 1/1/13

AsahinaInu wrote:


AsuraCryin wrote:
Except that I recall Lizbeth admitting her love for Kirito; Silicia and Sachi, I will accept that may have crush-level affections for Kirito. It's justifiable that their one-sided love towards him is based off one encounter? That undermines the principles of love.
Just want to say that generally speaking don't ever take a translation at face value when it comes to the word "love". Suki and daisuki pretty much mean like and greatly like respectively and they are the words most often used. Translators often translate daisuki as love when used in a confession scenario in an attempt to fit the mood. In some cases it can border on a declaration of love, but it can also be used in a platonic way like affirming friendship or just admiration. There's a reason shoujo romance anime always end up with characters misinterpreting others feelings even when we seem to think statements are clear. Stronger words of love like koi, ai, and renai are more clear but aren't used near as much and translators tend to translate all of these words as love, and while technically can be correctly translated that way they have different nuances.


I agree entirely. Problems in translation like this occur because many languages have more ways of saying something than we do with English. This is just one of those examples. Also sometimes what we determine as two different things will have the same word in another language or sometimes even mixtures of these meanings. It is one of the reasons translation is such a hard job. It is also why many times we are left with a translation that while correct in English does no give the correct feeling because it is just hard to correctly translate it without an entire narrative on the reason the translation was used.
Posted 1/1/13

Mythalian wrote:

She describes it also herself at one point of the series and defines exactly what made her fall in love with him. The other girls have a crush on him nothing more. And you didn't notice anyone going insane?


Suicide is not a sign of insanity. Laughing Coffin is a bit of a grey area to discuss -- they can justify their killings by stating that they weren't shown hard evidence that people die in reality when they were killed in-game. Before you state that Kayaba showed them the news in episode one, a counterargument for that is that those could had been faked. Also, insanity varies from place to place and culture to culture.


She said she liked him not loved him. This is a common mistranslation. Suki means like and can be used for even just saying you like a person as a friend but yes it can mean more. Daisuki usually refers to the beginnings of love but even then it is still sometimes used to just mean you really like someones company such as a best friend. Aisu/aisuru/aishiru all refer to actual love and are not used by Lizabeth but ARE used by Asuna. This is more a translation issue so I'll give you this misunderstanding but it doesn't mean you were correct either.


Fair enough, but again, their affection towards him isn't necessary; if anything, it only added onto the harem aspect people mentioned and wish fulfillment people believe SAO to be.


xCrimsonEX wrote:
Again I point to countless anime that didn't go into details on clothes, equipment, etc. And yeah lets have an entire half-episode dedicated to equipment stats cause thats totally what everyone wants to see


Bring up the names of those anime, let us compare them. If the show had stated earlier that Asuna's gear allows her to break out of Kayaba's paralysis, then I would had excused the inconsistency; but the show didn't therefore it's a plothole. An explanation of the game mechanics would help solve the many plotholes people have brought up.


Again in their situation things are different and we're not talking about trade x-item for y-item type things. Kirito took on an ice dragon and you think Lizbeth shouldn't have crush or more on him? Again looking for a reason to hate something that isn't there and isn't even a major plot point as Kirito only has eyes for Asuna.


How am I hating it? EXPLAIN. Geeze, I am just pointing out why I think this is handled poorly. I guess the people that firefighters save should fall for them just because of that one encounter; no build up, no getting to know each other, their affection is justified because the firefighters save them. Guy X benches 300, he's so buff, girls should totally have a crush on him because of that. If Kirito only has eyes for Asuna then why the need for these girls to become affectionate towards him?


I find it hilarious you bringing up 'research' when several bits of information you've brought up would've been solved if you'd taken the time to research the story. If 5 doctors tell you the rash on your skin is nothing to worry about and you find out months later that its not just a rash, then you'd be hunting for the heads of the doctors because they're supposed to be trustworthy and well taught. Earned hatred of something with no beneficial effect what so ever seems perfectly within reason. Critics are like cockroaches: both spread some form of disease and neither will do everyone good and disappear.


I was recalling the events off the top of my head. By researching the story, do you mean the Light Novels? Hello, we're judging the anime not the novel; now you're telling me I must read the novel before I can provide feedback on the anime? Excuse the critics for actually critically thinking instead of adhering to mindlessness.


Kirito beat the first mmo and you're saying he shouldn't have gotten a reward? Delayed (10 seconds to be precise)death phase out + clearing the game = being rewarded by not dying. You complain about the gears not being explained and now turn around and whine about the writer giving you a glimpse of what its like in Aincrad (in regards to PK)? If anything this is more a statement on people and how barbaric they can be in certain conditions. And? Your point? This isn't discussion its you and the other critics whining (to put it lightly) about how the anime didn't do what you wanted or didn't match your wants. So I guess a rap star can critique a movie, a movie star can critique a story, and an author can critique a rap song. No, if they did it would be complete waste of the time it took for them to do it as they have no idea what they're talking about.


You do realize that Asuna would had be out more than 10 seconds so it would still be Deus Ex Machina for her? Also, this barbarianism you speak of becomes largely irrelevant to the course of the show. It explained little to nothing that is relevant to the game. Again, I'll reiterate for about the 4th time: your ideology is flawed -- if a person must be a writer to critique another writer's works, then you must be a SAO critic into order to critique the other SAO critics; your hypocrisy is funny because you're lambasting critics despite not being a critic -- you're betraying your philosophy. And you also ignored my point about how this cop out argument will shut down all discussion. You're right that this isn't a discussion; it's you and your whining about how we critics critique the show. I guess in your world people shouldn't have any opinions.
50303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 1/1/13
Guys... guys... let's stop all the arguing. It's just a cartoon!
2495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13
AsuraCryin wrote:



Cowboy Bebop, Fate Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Eureka Seven, Trigun, Hellsing, Big O, Outlaw Star, .hack//Sign, Darker than Black, Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd Gig, Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), Dog Days, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian, Guilty Crown, and I'll leave it here as already a large list. Asuna broke free of paralysis via the nerve gear getting overloaded by her emotions thus allowing her to temporarily defy the game structure (which unless you have a guide on how +2020 tech works you don't know if its possible or not).



Okay fine 'disliking' or 'being overly critical of' it, better for you? I'd actually wager that there a few of them that have fallen for them and a few that would have an intense respect or an intense liking of them. "Guy X" saves "Girl Y" from death and has a certain level of affection or loyalty or idol-ism toward "Guy X" completely justified. Last part I say read prior sentences and apply to this as well.



No I'm not per se saying the LN's. If you want an explanation for something then look it up via resources (wiki, wikia, ask fans, ask readers of the LN's, etc) instead of complaining about it the moment it pops up. Critics take a work dissect it and find every possible flaw they can, then blow it out of proportion even when 1000 other shows/manga/etc have done the exact same thing. This is especially true in SAO's case.


Could the Asuna dying be bad writing? sure but its also possible that the viewers sense of time doesn't match what is actually happening in the anime. The whole first half is a look at the human psychology and you want to dismiss one avenue that humans would go to? It explained that in the game some people have given into their darker drives. I was an SAO critic along with several other animes until I threw away the thought pattern that they had to fit what I wanted them to be and accepted them as they are thus by this logic I am fully able to do as I am doing. I still find myself critiquing anime I watch but guess what: I keep it to myself and discuss with friends even then I still suggest that they watch it to decide for themselves if its for them or not. Its actually more in line with people whining that SAO didn't follow how they wanted it to go and people like myself knocking away the excuses to bash it.



Except for me its not about the show alone, its an ideology birthed in the last 10 or so years where everyone thinks an anime is supposed to be perfection or is supposed to appeal to everyone.
50303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 1/1/13
Ignoring me is fine too...
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:

AsuraCryin wrote:



Cowboy Bebop, Fate Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Eureka Seven, Trigun, Hellsing, Big O, Outlaw Star, .hack//Sign, Darker than Black, Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd Gig, Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), Dog Days, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian, Guilty Crown, and I'll leave it here as already a large list. Asuna broke free of paralysis via the nerve gear getting overloaded by her emotions thus allowing her to temporarily defy the game structure (which unless you have a guide on how +2020 tech works you don't know if its possible or not).



Okay fine 'disliking' or 'being overly critical of' it, better for you? I'd actually wager that there a few of them that have fallen for them and a few that would have an intense respect or an intense liking of them. "Guy X" saves "Girl Y" from death and has a certain level of affection or loyalty or idol-ism toward "Guy X" completely justified. Last part I say read prior sentences and apply to this as well.



No I'm not per se saying the LN's. If you want an explanation for something then look it up via resources (wiki, wikia, ask fans, ask readers of the LN's, etc) instead of complaining about it the moment it pops up. Critics take a work dissect it and find every possible flaw they can, then blow it out of proportion even when 1000 other shows/manga/etc have done the exact same thing. This is especially true in SAO's case.


Could the Asuna dying be bad writing? sure but its also possible that the viewers sense of time doesn't match what is actually happening in the anime. The whole first half is a look at the human psychology and you want to dismiss one avenue that humans would go to? It explained that in the game some people have given into their darker drives. I was an SAO critic along with several other animes until I threw away the thought pattern that they had to fit what I wanted them to be and accepted them as they are thus by this logic I am fully able to do as I am doing. Its actually more in line with people whining that SAO didn't follow how they wanted it to go and people like myself knocking away the excuses to bash it.



Except for me its not about the show alone, its an ideology birthed in the last 10 or so years where everyone thinks an anime is supposed to be perfection or is supposed to appeal to everyone.


Oh, so that means while I play League of Legends, my emotions would eventually give me an instant pentakill? Pfffthahahahaha!
2495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

Wow we've entered the +2020's? I thought we were still in 2013 guess I slept a little too much last night/this morning I'll need to go out and grab a nerve gear...oh yeah, they don't exist yet

P.S. that thing above your shoulders is called a head and inside it is a brain, learn to use it
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:


Wow we've entered the +2020's? I thought we were still in 2013 guess I slept a little too much last night/this morning I'll need to go out and grab a nerve gear...oh yeah, they don't exist yet


You forget the fact that there is no way technology can be controlled by our emotions. Where the hell did you get this logic? XD Hahahaha
2495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

The brain is one enormous electrical circuit and emotions are electrical impulses which could react with a nerve gear. Also you've got the nerve gear specs? No, you don't and have no clue what goes on inside it.
First  Prev  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.