First  Prev  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next  Last
Sword Art Online: Plot being ruined.
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:


The brain is one enormous electrical circuit and emotions are electrical impulses which could react with a nerve gear. Also you've got the nerve gear specs? No, you don't and have no clue what goes on inside it.


If you're talking about the physical state of the body controlling the nervegear, that would be understandable. But the mind is not our physical trait.
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:

Cowboy Bebop, Fate Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Eureka Seven, Trigun, Hellsing, Big O, Outlaw Star, .hack//Sign, Darker than Black, Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd Gig, Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), Dog Days, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian, Guilty Crown, and I'll leave it here as already a large list. Asuna broke free of paralysis via the nerve gear getting overloaded by her emotions thus allowing her to temporarily defy the game structure (which unless you have a guide on how +2020 tech works you don't know if its possible or not).


I bold the series that I've yet to watch or have no intention of watching. And don't even go as far as to say that I have no merit to judge any anime because I haven't seen those series. People may have started watching anime at difference time periods and just because you're an older fan doesn't mean you're opinion would be any stronger than mine.

The remaining shows I am positive that they explain various things; DTB explains how contractors came into being and their price of using their powers. Guilty Crown explains how the "Power of Kings" (or whatever it was called) worked; it was still a terrible show, imo. The Mystic Archives of Dantalian explains that Phantom Books have mystical powers and that is what is used to "battle" or "cure" anomalies. Fate/Stay Night and Zero explain a bunch of things; they do it through "showing" instead of "telling". FMA and FMA:B explain how transmutation/alchemy works: to gain one thing, something of equal value must be lost. The shows explain how their powers came into being. Unless I misinterpreted what you meant with your list as these shows clearly explain many things; F/Z explains how Kiritsugu's bullets work.

SAO's NerveGear Look at that, no mechanics explained. If we don't know how this tech works, it's the author's fault for not explaining it to us; it creates confusion and the story will lose its cohesiveness while making actions appear cheap or become asspulls.


Okay fine 'disliking' or 'being overly critical of' it, better for you? I'd actually wager that there a few of them that have fallen for them and a few that would have an intense respect or an intense liking of them. "Guy X" saves "Girl Y" from death and has a certain level of affection or loyalty or idol-ism toward "Guy X" completely justified. Last part I say read prior sentences and apply to this as well.


You're still not explaining how I was "hating" it. Criticism doesn't always equate to disliking a series.


No I'm not per se saying the LN's. If you want an explanation for something then look it up via resources (wiki, wikia, ask fans, ask readers of the LN's, etc) instead of complaining about it the moment it pops up. Critics take a work dissect it and find every possible flaw they can, then blow it out of proportion even when 1000 other shows/manga/etc have done the exact same thing. This is especially true in SAO's case.


And that's what I'm doing: using discussion threads to talk about what I found to be poor. Wikias are not always useful because they incorporate the source material and it gets mixed up with the anime's explanations. Readers of the LN provide spoilers on the LN and the anime may not cover certain events; we are judging the anime on it's own and its competence to tell the story. A novel can be a masterpiece and its adaption can be utter crap. Criticism can and has been good. Your bigotry towards it has clouded your view of it. Debate with the critics then; rather than say they're blowing things out of proportion, explain to them how or why they may be wrong. You're not even putting effort into talking with them or providing why you think SAO is good, you're merely insulting them.



Could the Asuna dying be bad writing? sure but its also possible that the viewers sense of time doesn't match what is actually happening in the anime. The whole first half is a look at the human psychology and you want to dismiss one avenue that humans would go to? It explained that in the game some people have given into their darker drives. I was an SAO critic along with several other animes until I threw away the thought pattern that they had to fit what I wanted them to be and accepted them as they are thus by this logic I am fully able to do as I am doing. Its actually more in line with people whining that SAO didn't follow how they wanted it to go and people like myself knocking away the excuses to bash it.


It's the show (and perhaps the writer's fault) for not showing us the time; that's why I've been so damn -- for lack of better words -- "picky" about the game mechanics. Nothing is explain to a point where can draw strong conclusions about what happened. It creates great misunderstanding and the cohesiveness of the show becomes mind boggling; we're told that players die in reality when they die in-game yet Asuna and Kirito, by Deus Ex Machina pulling the strings, survive. I may have probably missed it but, tell me, how has the first half of the show examined human psychology? I clearly do not have that interpretation. You're applying your way of thinking into everyone thus cultivating a believe that the critics want the show to follow their methods of storytelling; but from what I see, I -- one of these critics -- am providing my thoughts of what I found to be "bad" and how it could be improved. Perhaps my writing came across as arbitrary; if it did, then I apologize.
2439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

Every emotion you feel comes from an electrical impulse and this is what the nerve gear interacts with thus a surge would mean an overload to the system.
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:


Every emotion you feel comes from an electrical impulse and this is what the nerve gear interacts with thus a surge would mean an overload to the system.


Very well explained. Props to you. But now here's the main stupid part of what happens after that. As soon as Asuna breaks out of her paralysis, she just jumps in front of the sword and lets her avatar get hit by it. Seriously even Kirito said she is fast and yet she doesn't even have the time to take out her sword while running towards Kirito and Kayaba. What a dumb bitch.

37984 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

DomoKevin wrote:


xCrimsonEX wrote:


Every emotion you feel comes from an electrical impulse and this is what the nerve gear interacts with thus a surge would mean an overload to the system.


Very well explained. Props to you. But now here's the main stupid part of what happens after that. As soon as Asuna breaks out of her paralysis, she just jumps in front of the sword and lets her avatar get hit by it. Seriously even Kirito said she is fast and yet she doesn't even have the time to take out her sword while running towards Kirito and Kayaba. What a dumb bitch.



wow... you will bitch about ANYTHING, won't you?
2439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13
AsuraCryin


They never explain in detail about various technologies, clothes, equipments, etc as you were implying was so important and was failed by SAO. All those anime give you a bare minimum of what you need to know and leave the rest as what it should be: background info. I could honestly care less what anime you've watched or haven't watched, you asked for anime and I provided them. I never stated my opinion being stronger than yours but I won't let someone point out flaws when they can be explained. And especially when a show is being crucified for the same flaws numerous others have done.


Yeah, cause the mangaka should be have a degree in engineering in order just to explain to you how a fictional tech works. Oh and guess what its his world his rules apply thus if he wanted he could just say 'it works the end' and that'd be it as its his world.


Have you not read the same thread I have? And when you slam a series for things countless others have done then its no longer just being critical.



This thread has been nothing but about how poor SAO is and not about 'discussing' anything. Its all the same tech, skills, characters, etc thus the info is within reason applicable. Please do explain how insulting a series (or any medium) is a good thing? All it does it degrade a potentially good thing and to dissuade people away from the medium. I have been explaining how they're wrong and will continue to do so, so whats your point exactly? Again my issue is not SAO-exclusive I have an issue with all critics of all mediums.



Is it really that important a detail that you have to sit here and examine it over and over again, then call it a flaw worthy of being mentioned? Again you want this explanation, I could careless thus the difference of what we expected. Kirito isn't even up for debate as he was within the 10 sec. delay as for Asuna again that may just be 1 instance of the author not thinking it out. People are locked in a game world with threat of dying, then the viewers get to see as people go into various modes of thought: those who want to escape, those who accept their new world, those who lose all track of moral barriers and resort to PK-ing. I'd say this is a study of human psychology. Keyword what "you" found to be bad not what everyone finds to be bad and certainly not what everyone thinks is a monumental flaw of the entire series.


I am so very sure you'd be cool-headed and thinking calmly in said situation


He's butt-hurt the show didn't go the way he wanted it to thus has to find every way possible to insult it
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

aidenraine wrote:


DomoKevin wrote:


xCrimsonEX wrote:


Every emotion you feel comes from an electrical impulse and this is what the nerve gear interacts with thus a surge would mean an overload to the system.


Very well explained. Props to you. But now here's the main stupid part of what happens after that. As soon as Asuna breaks out of her paralysis, she just jumps in front of the sword and lets her avatar get hit by it. Seriously even Kirito said she is fast and yet she doesn't even have the time to take out her sword while running towards Kirito and Kayaba. What a dumb bitch.



wow... you will bitch about ANYTHING, won't you?


Hehe ^_^
2848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
great anime but second arc could have been better
37984 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote


He's butt-hurt the show didn't go the way he wanted it to thus has to find every way possible to insult it


yea, I had more than enough of that with Mass Effect 3....

hey, there's an idea. maybe he should try writing to A-1 to try and get them to change the ending to what they want because fans seem to think they should be able to dictate this kind of stuff...
2439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13


ROFL though I dunno much about ME series (just basic stuff) so I won't take a side but just nice xD
37984 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:



ROFL though I dunno much about ME series (just basic stuff) so I won't take a side but just nice xD


yea, it was ridiculous. I didn't think the ending was that bad, but apparently people did. they did things like mass mailings, and even set up a donation site that collected money for charity to get Bioware to finally "fix" the ending. I facepalmed so hard.
Posted 1/1/13

xCrimsonEX wrote:
They never explain in detail about various technologies, clothes, equipments, etc as you were implying was so important and was failed by SAO. All those anime give you a bare minimum of what you need to know and leave the rest as what it should be: background info. I could honestly care less what anime you've watched or haven't watched, you asked for anime and I provided them. I never stated my opinion being stronger than yours but I won't let someone point out flaws when they can be explained. And especially when a show is being crucified for the same flaws numerous others have done.


Do the clothing matter for the characters in the shows you listed...? No, they don't. Why does it matter for SAO? Because it's a goddamn MMORPG where equipment is practically crucial to how well people will fare in the game. But I'll satisfy you and tell you: Hei's cloak in DTB is bulletproof, it is explicitly stated. The characters in F/SN and F/Z use magic as offense and defense; FMA(:B) utilizes alchemy as offense and defense as well; Dantalian's characters use Phantom Books for various means; Guilty Crown is the only one I can't really recall much for but the Voids are either defensive, offensive, and sometimes miscellaneous.



Yeah, cause the mangaka should be have a degree in engineering in order just to explain to you how a fictional tech works. Oh and guess what its his world his rules apply thus if he wanted he could just say 'it works the end' and that'd be it as its his world.


It would certainly be useful if he has an engineering degree; but it is not necessary. He could claim that but it will not mean that he should be shielded from criticism. Yes, it's his world yet there is a lack of consistency in following the rules. So it's all fine JUST BECAUSE? Great, that demoralizes all forms of writing.



Have you not read the same thread I have? And when you slam a series for things countless others have done then its no longer just being critical.


I'm mentioning these points because they're legitimate problems that have not been refuted but dismissed. You feel so obligated to defend SAO against all costs; you state your mission is to prevent people from dismissing a "good" show but you haven't done much to explain why they should. You merely attack the critics.



This thread has been nothing but about how poor SAO is and not about 'discussing' anything. Its all the same tech, skills, characters, etc thus the info is within reason applicable. Please do explain how insulting a series (or any medium) is a good thing? All it does it degrade a potentially good thing and to dissuade people away from the medium. I have been explaining how they're wrong and will continue to do so, so whats your point exactly? Again my issue is not SAO-exclusive I have an issue with all critics of all mediums.


And how have people been insulting the series? Calling it bad is an insult? People like me have provided feedback and how it could have been better. You keep claiming SAO is "good" but that is subjective and you've not provided any support to your opinion. Again, it's not our fault if people are dissuaded; it's their goddamn fault for not taking our words with a grain of salt. Except you haven't proved us wrong, we bring up legitimate plotholes and you dismiss then by stating that we are attacking the show and the show shouldn't follow the way we want it to be; most of these plothole complaints are about the show being inconsistent in following its rules. There's no discussion because this thread has been attacks thrown at the critics rather than debating with them about how great you believe SAO to be. I'll offer you advice again, bring up your good points and sway the people who are listening to us away from us.



Is it really that important a detail that you have to sit here and examine it over and over again, then call it a flaw worthy of being mentioned? Again you want this explanation, I could careless thus the difference of what we expected. Kirito isn't even up for debate as he was within the 10 sec. delay as for Asuna again that may just be 1 instance of the author not thinking it out.



Of course it's a flaw worthy of being mentioned! It's a fricking rule established in episode one and by the show's ending, it has been broken! It's the author's rule in his world and the characters of that world are expected to follow that rule! If the rule is broken, we expect explanations as to how and why it was broken. And how did you come to the judgment that Kirito was within the 10 second death animation. We clearly see him shatter into sparkles indicating that he died.


People are locked in a game world with threat of dying, then the viewers get to see as people go into various modes of thought: those who want to escape, those who accept their new world, those who lose all track of moral barriers and resort to PK-ing. I'd say this is a study of human psychology. Keyword what "you" found to be bad not what everyone finds to be bad and certainly not what everyone thinks is a monumental flaw of the entire series.


Either you're misinterpreting my words or putting words in my mouth [again]. I never stated that it was bad; I only asked you to tell me about it because I didn't have that interpretation. Anyways, what about this psychological examination? What does it do? How does it add onto the show? I see it as an irrelevant issue since it's neither expanded upon nor crucial to the main plot.
2466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Yeah the first 15 or 14 episodes where good but after that.. meh.
2439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
AsuraCryin


DTB never gives anything other than his jacket is bulletproof (nothing on the wire he uses, mask he wears, nor anything else), F/S N and F/Z has weapons but don't go into detail with every single one cause its not important to know the story, FMA/B doesn't go into details because well everything in that -verse can potentially be a weapon (though they could have mentioned the details of Ed's auto-mail and Al's armor but they don't because its not important), Dantalian never tells you details of each book (weakness/strength/cheat skills/etc) again because its not important. So I guess you'd be satisfied with seeing 15mins of item windows, no thank you for me I do that as it is 2-4hrs a day.

Not 'just because' its his world meaning our laws don't per se apply unless you have a V.R. simulator somewhere and can confirm how it all works. Again this is background info and not important to the overall story, except to you which would imply you want special treatment.



And I've given legitimate answers to most of the flaws. You mention flaw and I give reason its not a flaw = defending SAO against all costs? I call it addressing issues. Again my reasons are not 'Billy's' reasons for liking a show. Critics ask to be attacked since who ever asked for their opinion? And why should anyone care about it? Yet they still spout it out regardless.


Are you and I not reading the same thread? Every other post is how bad SAO is and yes calling anything 'bad' is an insult to said thing. You're the most vocal ones I see here so can you really blame them for going with your line of thinking? I haven't dismissed anything I've addressed every issue you've thrown at me. Wow I must've been busy to have filled up +80 pages with anti-critic responses I've said it once and I'll say it again SAO is 'good' not 'great' . My advice to people undecided: ignore critics and watch it for yourself to decide if you like it or not. I accept the fact that my reasons for liking SAO are my own reasons and may not be shared by person x,y, and z.


So, 1 potential flaw in 25 episodes is worthy of tearing into an anime? And again do you have a timer somewhere to tell you how long it took for Kirito to die? And again I have to say that why is SAO so special in your mind when countless other anime have broken their own rules? Also if you add in the emotional surge into nerve gear then its possible that its what allowed Kirito to maintain himself long enough to take down Heathcliff. 1 flaw does not kill a series.



"You're applying your way of thinking into everyone thus cultivating a believe that the critics want the show to follow their methods of storytelling; but from what I see, I -- one of these critics -- am providing my thoughts of what I found to be "bad" and how it could be improved"

Notice the bold It adds to the atmosphere and realism of the -verse. People are shown to be living in their new reality and how they've decided to adapt to it. This to me is a good point of the show, and I know it doesn't appeal to everyone hence why I refer to it as something I like.
24175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

AsuraCryin wrote:
SAO's NerveGear Look at that, no mechanics explained. If we don't know how this tech works, it's the author's fault for not explaining it to us; it creates confusion and the story will lose its cohesiveness while making actions appear cheap or become asspulls.


Yeah lets just nitpick every little bitty detail. Does an author have to hold your hand and spoonfeed every detail possible to you? The source material is called a "light novel" for a reason. It is not intended to be an all encompassing work spanning hundreds of pages with complete commentaries and related work studies. This is not the encyclopedia or a dictionary or the complete Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It's one step up from a friggin manga/comic. I seriously wonder are you this picky about everything in your life? Honestly if he had sat there and gone into detail about the exact technical specifications of a technology we don't have yet you'd either whine that it was unnecesary "TL:DR" or some other complaint. And that just judging from everything else you've tried ripping apart. I give up you are a lost cause and I don't feel like wasting anymore time with you.
First  Prev  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.