First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Sword Art Online: Plot being ruined.
54111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

Kira0309 wrote:




I get what your saying about missing the original concept. As for kirito still being serious, you have to remember he is a kid, around 13 years old? And he just finally got out of a death game he was stuck in for two years. That game became his reality and so he is still mentally recovering from it. So it makes sense that he takes the game so seriously because of the trauma of SAO.


Actually, I believe he's about 15 or sixteen... he does mention missing one, possibly two years of high school. He also mentions in the last episode that he could take an exam for enrollment into a 'special' school to catch up - a school where he would almost certainly be under constant surveillance and evaluation. While I'd prefer he go back to school (for socialization purposes if nothing else), I can understand why he'd be reluctant to do so.

Overall, SAO is a good anime product - not great. The current arc does have the potential to be a solid set of episodes, and we're not treated to vignettes of 'life in a 2 year long death game' that we were in the first arc. As to the current villain being 'lame', which would you prefer: A villain who fries your brain when you die in game, or a villain who may potentially find ways to manipulate your mind from playing the game, bearing in mind that said manipulation stays with you in the real world?
38822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

AHTL wrote:


rockstar8577 wrote:

You messed up here, Kirito didn't get paralyzed. His attack failed when his sword broke, and he knew he was doomed because of that. Just correcting that :)



Nope. I'm not talking about the final battle in the SAO mmo. I'm talking about the member of Asuna's clan who turned out to be an assassin. Check mate.


edit:


@the user above me:

When will people learn that the manga is NOT the source material? It's the light novels.


Ahh my mistake. I actually would have been fine with that scene if his hp wasnt so low. I think they dragged it out to long. Now just saying the show that has this idea of if you die in the game you die in the real world camt really have the maim character lose at all. You got to look at the shows mechanics, since not all shows are the same. So yea he might be lary stu but he kind of has to be.



Posted 11/28/12
ya i really lost interest in in it main reason new game new character look also WTF is up with that pervert keeping Asuna trapped in the game completely ruined it for me
10616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Portland, Oregon
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12
I'm surprised this post is still alive. I have posted previously, but since it is still going I will give my two cents. I personally think the show is no less than amazing. They do a great job a character building, and it hits a lot of psychological aspects. You have a boy who has spent two years in a game where he watched people he actually built relationships with die. Yet, still facing the trauma, enters ALFheim online knowing the risks to save Asuna which he experienced in Sword Art. The villains have selfish ambitions. You have one in the real world, a business man focused on money, trying to use Asuna for that very reason. Then in the game we have yet another villain who is using the game as psychological experiments on human minds. Both villains are equally dark and demented, and both directly involve Kirito and Asuna.

I notice a lot of people questioning the logic of it, yet they do this without even thinking about human psychology and the effects of high emotions being involved in situations. It's always easy for people to sit back when they are calm and comfortable and think logically without any emotions attached. But for someone actually put in the situation of the characters, it's only human that those emotions get deeply involved in intense situations. Kirito is taking this seriously because he has spent two years watching people die, and this is the last hope he has to find the girl he loves and save her.
2465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/29/12
To be honest I came into SAO with neutral view and as its progressed I've gotten more and more impressed and immersed with it. People are free to critique whatever they want, the main issue that I see is when people go into hyper-active nitpick mode and every little leaf has to fall x-way or its an awful representation of reality. Kirito hasn't done too much that is out of his range and I've heard theory on how he was able to last in the fight which satisfies me though I have yet to find confirmation, though the point is that if willing to look instead of dismissing entire anime over it the reasoning is there. In regards to the females: what are they supposed to just ignore Kirito the guy who helped them? I think not so in this regard its more realistic and at least he's not wavering in his devotion to Asuna. The sister/cousin aspect is just a non-factor, they're cousins not direct siblings and its more of a crush than relationship. Neither of them even knows who the other is yet, ingame, so atm it may as well be two random strangers meeting and helping each other out. I do agree with person earlier that said something to the degree of: If you don't like it, don't watch it. I'll add that if you do continue to watch it then don't whine about it since obviously you're choosing to continue watching it of your own choice and your insults could sway others away from enjoying the show. Last point is re-emphasizing that there is a difference between 'critique' and 'nitpick'.

Side-point: There are fanboys and then there are also the anti-fanboys who will hate a show no matter what is done/explained just simply because they don't like it. These will argue their perspective into the ground just like a fanboy will so I'd be careful about tossing that word around.
40215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Southwest USA
Online
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12




How dare you have an opposite of opinion!

Really though, people should chill and have a mature conversation, if you like the show say why if you dislike it say why and argue your point but don't attack.
2337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

AHTL wrote:


rockstar8577 wrote:

You messed up here, Kirito didn't get paralyzed. His attack failed when his sword broke, and he knew he was doomed because of that. Just correcting that :)



Nope. I'm not talking about the final battle in the SAO mmo. I'm talking about the member of Asuna's clan who turned out to be an assassin. Check mate.


Well we know Asuna cares for her friends and checks/stalks on them (as seen in Warmth of the Heart with Lisbeth)

Godfrey told Asuna beforehand that he, Kirito, and another member was going to clear Floor 55, Dungeon. Kuradeel killed Godfrey then spent his sweet time digging his sword into Kirito's non-vital points (arms, legs).

Asuna said she was watching him on the map (which isn't the first time this is possible so don't even try and use it against me) and saw Godfrey's icon disappear (cause loldying) and rushed to him. Not a DEM.

Kirito coming back to life against Kayaba is more of a DEM moment and even then, examples in the game (Golden Apple's GL Ghost, Yui, Kirito moving his hand while paralyzed, etc.) showed that the game limitations can be surpassed.

Aizen losing is a DEM, Sasuke's Great Snake Escape is a DEM.

Oh... and Kirito knows Sugu is a cousin.


GayAsianBoy wrote:


FallenYmir wrote:
b- Nowhere in my replies did I say the anime isn't mediocre (An opinion so I could care less). I'm arguing the fact that you think there are no skills in the game which the anime clearly implied are and now you're just trolling by continuing to deny.

I'm starting to think you don't even watch the anime since in EP 2 they went over the strategy on how to fight Illfang the Kobold Lord and how Kirito (and Asuna) reacted to the bosses attacks.
Same thing in EP 13/14 except without initial planning/prep.

And SAO, unlike .Hack (which is the only MMOesque anime I can think of atm), DOES keep elements and environment of a MMO throughout 1-14. It also doesn't have conventional classes in the first place, that certain skills are more useful than others, and that weapons and armor are picked based on the situation/stats (as Kirito's changes as he levels)

Also those stat aspect you mentioned is pointless to spend time on since they offer nothing other than trivia information akin to powerlevels in shonen. Let's talk about how much STR it takes to wield this sword hurr, your accuracy isn't high enough so you'll miss hitting that monster durr. It adds nothing and takes away relevant screentime.


Firstly, don't call me a troll. I believe in what I say. If you can't accept my opinion, then don't quote me.

Secondly, I've watched all the episodes and read every word, I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to miss a single word said in a story I read/watch.

Thirdly, the reason why you're arguing with me is because you think this anime is great, you're the one in denial. If you think this anime was mediocre you wouldn't be wasting your time trying to prove that the anime covers any real MMO mechanics. That is my point.

I'll break in down in simpler words for you: The MMO mechanics in SAO are SIMPLE.

If you think switching and using dual-wielding swords are skills... then you're the one who has not played any MMO. The fact that you can't mention any episodes beside episode 2 and 14 just reinforces my point that the mechanics are simple.



So, other than ignoring the fact that they are using strategy and skills in fights, why are you comparing SAO to another MMO when it already established what it is (an advanced hack and slash). The only useful combat skills are melee skills since that's all there is available.

But these days it's cool to jump on the bandwagon and hate something popular even if your argument is flawed 5ways.


You're the ONE who said I've only played one MMO in my lifetime. That's why I gave other examples of MMO's that require REAL strategies. Like timing and knowing how to use different skills to create different effects.

Say whatever you wish, but I no longer wish to continue this conversation if you cannot respond to me in a civilised manner and continuing to call me a troll or jumping on some bandwagon.

Look at my review of this anime and its date... I've thought it was mediocre after episode 1.


Saying that SAO has no skills is trolling when EP. 1 states that there are skills in the game with further episodes proving the claim. So much for reading comprehension, huh?

Vindictus is one MMO that's similar to SAO (Playing as Lann/Fiona characters). What MMO are you talking about?

Yes I think the anime is great but I also pointed out flaws. EP 3, A Murder Case in the Area, Kirito and Asuna being the only two people in the entire game being genuinely happy, Kirito being able to steal weapons, Alart, Sleep PK in general, Paralysis lasting longer than a minuet in an MMO with PvP (Personal), Asuna being able to disarm Kuradeel in a PvP

Switching isn't a skill, it's an aspect/strategy in SAO. Dual-wield is just ONE of the skills (since no-one can dual-wield except for one person) with Starburst Stream being a subset under it.

Majority of Sword Skills being used in the anime 1-14.
Episode 2, 13/14 are the ones with the most obvious uses of Sword Skills but since you need me to point out every example:
Episode 1: Kirito and Klein use SS against Boars and Kirito used one against the wolf
Episode 2: Diabel, Kibaou, Asuna, Kirito, Agil and his team used against the Boss.
Episode 3: Kirito and Tetsuo against the Mantis, Klein used one against the wolf, Kirito used the non-combat skill Pursuit, The Axe dude in the Guild used one against the Golem, Kirito used it against the Goblins/Golems,
Episode 4: Had Rosalia use Listening, Silica using one against the marlboro/plants, Titans Hand mooks using SS against Kirito, Kirito's Battle Healing skill
Episode 7: Kirito uses one against the Ice Dragon's breath attack/Ice Dragon
Episode 8: Kirito AND the monster use one in the opening 30 seconds with Kirito killing it with Vertical Square. He uses one against the Ragout Rabbit, Kirito and Kuradeel use them in their fight, Asuna, Kirito and a monster use Sword Skills.
Episode 9: Kirito and Asuna using Sword Skills on the boss with Kirito revealing the Starburst Stream Skill. Hell, Klein even brought up a menu for Skills and there was a close up of three of Kirito's skills 3 seconds later with an expanded view of 7.
Episode 10: Divine Blade, Heathcliff and Kirito fight, Asuna using Star Splash and Kirito using Embracer on Kuradeel
Episode 11: Asuna uses one twice on the Army member,
Episode 12: Kirito uses the Detection skill on The Fatal Scythe.
Episode 13: Nishida uses the Fishing skill on the fishing pole. Asuna uses a Sword Skill on the lungfish. The whole Skull Reaper Fight
Episode 14: Skull Reaper fight + Heathcliff and Kirito's duel.
Episodes 5 and 6 are probably the only ones without since there was no fighting involved.

You get fall damage, Weapons/Items has Durability, Weapons based on Speed/Power/Stats, Armor based on Stats/situation, Bosses have more HP bars than regular monsters and do different attacks based on the weapon they hold/V.2 mode, Monster Taming, Potions and Crystals (Warp and Healing), Menu/G.U. Interface, Skills, Upgrading/Forging via Blacksmith, Cooking/Fishing skills, PvP, Guilds with Guild Emblems, Negative Statuses (Stun ottomh), Personal Homes, Party, Buddy Lists + Messaging System, Trade system, Town Teleport Gates, Leading Monsters to a town and letting it kill the NPCs strategy, Map, Level System, Music In-Game, Quests from NPC/etc, Revival Item, People trying to get dates with girls, Monsters Respawning via glowing light, Indicator Icon over players which changes colors identifying PvPers, GM hax, Marriage/Shared Storage.
SMELLS LIKE MMO TO ME.
90666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12


It's okay dude I know the feeling, this is the exact response I received in Hyouka thread (whether you're aware or not).

At least you didn't get called a troll for having an opinion.

EDIT: lol sorry guess the above poster was faster than me at the time of my post welcome to "having an opinion is considered being a troll" wagon.

~~~~

Separate from the thread but relevant, I don't see why the group of people need to actively defend his or her point to an extent where they look like idiots.

example that one poster who said about posting in a neutral point of view, lets break this down a bit.

1) if you always look at things from a neutral point of view you will never advance in anything, taking a preference and defending that preference is what drives the evolution of such "thing" neutral stand points are for the wishy-washy people who can't believe in something other than look at the point of view of both sides.

2) same poster that was a pretty bias post, being hypocritical makes you look bad

example 2 use of ad hominems terrible yet fun way to start a flame war very fun...

^ gives people (I) lulz

Anyways back to the thread at hand, I agree with most of what Mr. Mod has said, but this has not discouraged me to dislike the anime, pointing out obvious facts that people do not want to read simply because his or her favorite X is being bashed out is absolutely ridiculous.

I have to admit the anime has not met many of my expectations, perhaps more than the extent previous brick of text; however, this anime is still a personal favorite, I simply choose to overlook the obvious flaws since well looking at the flaws would make me hate something I don't want to hate.
2337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

blackdahlia90 wrote:
The villains have selfish ambitions. You have one in the real world, a business man focused on money, trying to use Asuna for that very reason. Then in the game we have yet another villain who is using the game as psychological experiments on human minds. Both villains are equally dark and demented, and both directly involve Kirito and Asuna.


Are you talking about Sugou and Oberon? They're the same person :\
2337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

AnimeKami wrote:



It's okay dude I know the feeling, this is the exact response I received in Hyouka thread (whether you're aware or not).

At least you didn't get called a troll for having an opinion.

EDIT: lol sorry guess the above poster was faster than me at the time of my post welcome to "having an opinion is considered being a troll" wagon.


Except what he said about SAO having no skills isn't an opinion, It's plain false.

So continue use the word wrong, maybe the world will adapt to the new meaning of opinion.
10616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Portland, Oregon
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

FallenYmir wrote:


blackdahlia90 wrote:
The villains have selfish ambitions. You have one in the real world, a business man focused on money, trying to use Asuna for that very reason. Then in the game we have yet another villain who is using the game as psychological experiments on human minds. Both villains are equally dark and demented, and both directly involve Kirito and Asuna.


Are you talking about Sugou and Oberon? They're the same person :\


I had a feeling. However, wasn't positive yet. Also, you should learn how to use the spoiler tool on this website.
2337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12

blackdahlia90 wrote:


FallenYmir wrote:


blackdahlia90 wrote:
The villains have selfish ambitions. You have one in the real world, a business man focused on money, trying to use Asuna for that very reason. Then in the game we have yet another villain who is using the game as psychological experiments on human minds. Both villains are equally dark and demented, and both directly involve Kirito and Asuna.


Are you talking about Sugou and Oberon? They're the same person :\


I had a feeling. However, wasn't positive yet. Also, you should learn how to use the spoiler tool on this website.


.__.

My mistake, I figured by now it was obvious if the OP hadn't already spoiled it weeks ago.

Edit: Asuna already revealed it in Episode 17.
90666 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12

FallenYmir wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:



It's okay dude I know the feeling, this is the exact response I received in Hyouka thread (whether you're aware or not).

At least you didn't get called a troll for having an opinion.

EDIT: lol sorry guess the above poster was faster than me at the time of my post welcome to "having an opinion is considered being a troll" wagon.


Except what he said about SAO having no skills isn't an opinion, It's plain false.

So continue use the word wrong, maybe the world will adapt to the new meaning of opinion.


Let's analyze this word "false" and "skill" for a moment shall we?

In the world of SAO we (humans) are able to materialize our consciousness into the digital world through advancement of technology. ^^we agree right?

So, in the first episode, the protagonist is able to pick up a rock throw it at a boar, it is also known to us the audience that the players are able to freely do as he or she pleases. The anime has no set boundaries of what our current knowledge of MMORPGS are, predefined set of motions which we the players follow regardless of what we want to admit or not.

Skills are predetermined set of abilities that every character can develop. < we agree right? I'm using "skills" as a term for abilites allocate to the character.

if you break mmos into skills and basic attacks, lets say.

~
our mmos today
Skills are predetermined

Basic attacks are predetermined
~

_
SAO mmos
Skills are predetermined

Basic attacks are whatever the user can do in real life translated to the digital world
_

my take on his post to sao requires no skill is this point *a crucial point at that*

in the last episode of the first arc the protagonist used his skill set which is predetermined, which ultimately caused his wife's downfall, it is also mentioned that if he has stuck with his basic abilities he would have been able to contend with Last Boss.

See where I"m getting at SAO in a sense takes no skill(abilities wise).

Using the pretenses of false to describe what he has written isn't exactly right.

I'll post more later

Also to the ass fags out there that blow my posts way out of proportion I will crush you if you do so, frankly just don't quote me, <- doesn't pertain to you
11589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / I'm Lost
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
I think the issue SAO is having is just a major pacing problem, and the studio doesn't really seem to care to fix it because they know [as we know] that we've all made it this far, so we're gonna keep watching it at least just to see how it all ends, right?

Seriously, though, it's the pacing. The first few episodes set the series up as a desperate fight for survival where developing trusting relationships with one another was questionable. Are they a player-killer? Beaters who will just use you to get ahead? A real comrade? Sure it's good to fight with a guild, but only because there's strength in numbers. Then, as it went on, the show raised some REALLY interesting questions about the virtual world vs. the real world. Sadly though, about halfway through the first arc the focus shifted to Kirito and Asuna's relationship. In a sea of anime where there's either No Boys Allowed or they spend the entire show teasing the audience at a relationship that never happens, I was initially pretty excited for this, but it did kill the momentum slightly. Then the problem was worsened when ALO came and more or less took Asuna out of the picture in favor of Sugu. It's all fine and good to build drama, but the ship-tease going on when we SHOULD be rooting for Kirito and Asuna is a bit distracting. While the show has MASSIVE potential and started out really strong, I think the most infuriating thing about it isn't "This show isn't good!" but rather "This show is good, but it could be a modern classic!"
35529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
I agree. The first arc of SAO was tolerable, but now the series has turned into dog shit.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.