First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Sword Art Online: Plot being ruined.
Banned
3918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

Honchkrowz wrote:


DomoKevin wrote:


necoconeco101 wrote:

Oh rubbish!

I will agree on the first 14 episodes, they were awesome!

But for the next arch, I think the plot is fine!

Although, I find the sister (or cousin, whatever she is) character a bit annoying.

In other words, I can't wait for when she sees Kirito back with Asuna!


*Arc

Learn to spell, you're older than me.

The plot is not fine. They made it worst sadly.


You're not promoting conversation at all. You're just talking trash. What's the point in making a thread, if you're not going to at least talk about it? Rather than insult someone's ability to spell, which, by the way, is most likely the weakest form of insult slinging possible (even though you may not be intending to be insulting and rude, you are), you could ask why said person thinks it's so good. Making a thread specifically to trash an anime is stupid, and it's no different than fanboying, except it's on the other end of the spectrum.

TL;DR - If you didn't want to hear from people who like the anime, you shouldn't have made the thread about how it sucks.


Lol no dude, it's because she's so fat XD
akerk7 
17353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Northeast America
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
LMAO, tentacle rape xD That post was hilarious (lol Gary Sue). It definitely touched on all the series' lowpoints

But regardless of them, I really do enjoy SAO. At first I was taken aback and hesitant when I saw how quickly they got out of the game. I kind of wish they'd've included more events within the SAO universe. But I got used to it, I feel like the anime has a flow that it follows well. I don't know how to explain it, once I got used to the switch it just worked for me I guess. Sister loves a bit too awkward for me tho.
71684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

DomoKevin wrote:


Honchkrowz wrote:


DomoKevin wrote:


necoconeco101 wrote:

Oh rubbish!

I will agree on the first 14 episodes, they were awesome!

But for the next arch, I think the plot is fine!

Although, I find the sister (or cousin, whatever she is) character a bit annoying.

In other words, I can't wait for when she sees Kirito back with Asuna!


*Arc

Learn to spell, you're older than me.

The plot is not fine. They made it worst sadly.


You're not promoting conversation at all. You're just talking trash. What's the point in making a thread, if you're not going to at least talk about it? Rather than insult someone's ability to spell, which, by the way, is most likely the weakest form of insult slinging possible (even though you may not be intending to be insulting and rude, you are), you could ask why said person thinks it's so good. Making a thread specifically to trash an anime is stupid, and it's no different than fanboying, except it's on the other end of the spectrum.

TL;DR - If you didn't want to hear from people who like the anime, you shouldn't have made the thread about how it sucks.


Lol no dude, it's because she's so fat XD


It's called a f*ing ad hominem christ almight...

this isn't directed towards you just quoted you cuz it was easier
17476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
i think there is nothing wrong at all with the story plot and the anime is great
Queen of Support
starry 
36022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
I'm only here to laugh at AHTL.

Throwing himself into the pool of angry SAO fans. Tsk.
71684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12
^^^ I'm on his side, he actually has an argument :P

People who throw themselves in a river of hate deserves to be called heros and a few applause.
46195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Online
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12

starry wrote:

I'm only here to laugh at AHTL.

Throwing himself into the pool of angry SAO fans. Tsk.


Tis' always fun to laugh at AHTL.
15759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/28/12 , edited 11/28/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:



You missed the point of my original comment.

My point was the game mechanics in the game was simple; the lack of skills is just one example.

In a real MMO, there are:


Stats you have to work around: HP, MP, vitality, toughness, power, precision etc

Which armour is better for your classes.

There are three main classes: Healing, tank or damage class.


All of these aspects were not addressed in the anime.


And if you read my original comment, the simplicity of the game mechanic is not the only reason why this anime is mediocre.


There are hundreds of skills, as far as we know, they just didn't bother to explain that, say, one handed and two handed swords are different skills, or that smithing is a skill, because it should be obvious.

They have HP, STR, and AGI, the game was intentionally made with only these three traits (a smaller number of traits than most MMO's are standard in the author's series).

Instead of armor being class based the armor is based on your play style and how you feel about moving in it, same as class really. Not all MMO's force you to choose a class and stick with it. Regardless, there are obviously no Healing classes because there are no such ways to heal in SAO, there are healing crystals and potions, not something you devote a character to using. Hence there are the damage class and tank class. Kirito is an obvious example of the damage class, as is Asuna. Heathcliff is an example of a tank, as is the guy who "died" in a murder case in the area.

Basically, the lack of addressing is because they should all be obvious, you failing to note them is because you didn't pay attention to the details, or expected to be spoon fed. Being spoon fed is not good usually.


AnimeKami wrote:

^^^ I'm on his side, he actually has an argument :P

People who throw themselves in a river of hate deserves to be called heros and a few applause.


Only if they are doing so for a reason other than to be, well, hateful.

Anyway, I personally find his argument is rather weak, but I don't have the energy to bother with that ridiculously long winded argument. Particularly since the last couple times I've tried arguing with people like that it ended... stupidly.
15759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

AHTL wrote:


rockstar8577 wrote:

You messed up here, Kirito didn't get paralyzed. His attack failed when his sword broke, and he knew he was doomed because of that. Just correcting that :)



Nope. I'm not talking about the final battle in the SAO mmo. I'm talking about the member of Asuna's clan who turned out to be an assassin. Check mate.


edit:


@the user above me:

When will people learn that the manga is NOT the source material? It's the light novels.


Wouldn't a Gary Sue have saved himself through some amazing chance, rather than needing to be saved? I'll give you the anime cut it closer than it was in the LN, and in the LN he had more players to kill to give Asuna longer, but still. Her being on the lookout for Kirito wasn't at all surprising, and neither was her rushing there. A Gary sue has events that always go there way. Kirito... doesn't. Sachi got killed. He died fighting Heathcliff. The only reason he didn't get killed for real was because it turns out he was a bit nicer than it appeared.
41910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/28/12

FallenYmir wrote:



Saying that SAO has no skills is trolling when EP. 1 states that there are skills in the game with further episodes proving the claim. So much for reading comprehension, huh?

Vindictus is one MMO that's similar to SAO (Playing as Lann/Fiona characters). What MMO are you talking about?



You really need to read my original post more thoroughly; I wrote it in plain and simple English. Nowhere did I say SAO has no skills; I said all the skill I see involved is the "slashing" of swords which contributes to the simplicity of the game mechanics of an MMO.


I never said SAO lack all of an MMO aspects; I merely said that its MMO mechanics are SIMPLE. Get that through your head.
I do acknowledge that it represents an MMO; with the use of potions, HP, pets, resurrection stones, teleportation stones, dungeons, bosses, crafting. But I'm only voicing my own opinion about how it addresses the skills aspect of an MMO at a superficial level, which in turn contributes to its simplicity.




FallenYmir wrote
Yes I think the anime is great but I also pointed out flaws. EP 3, A Murder Case in the Area, Kirito and Asuna being the only two people in the entire game being genuinely happy, Kirito being able to steal weapons, Alart, Sleep PK in general, Paralysis lasting longer than a minuet in an MMO with PvP (Personal), Asuna being able to disarm Kuradeel in a PvP

Switching isn't a skill, it's an aspect/strategy in SAO. Dual-wield is just ONE of the skills (since no-one can dual-wield except for one person) with Starburst Stream being a subset under it.

Majority of Sword Skills being used in the anime 1-14.
Episode 2, 13/14 are the ones with the most obvious uses of Sword Skills but since you need me to point out every example:
Episode 1: Kirito and Klein use SS against Boars and Kirito used one against the wolf
Episode 2: Diabel, Kibaou, Asuna, Kirito, Agil and his team used against the Boss.
Episode 3: Kirito and Tetsuo against the Mantis, Klein used one against the wolf, Kirito used the non-combat skill Pursuit, The Axe dude in the Guild used one against the Golem, Kirito used it against the Goblins/Golems,
Episode 4: Had Rosalia use Listening, Silica using one against the marlboro/plants, Titans Hand mooks using SS against Kirito, Kirito's Battle Healing skill
Episode 7: Kirito uses one against the Ice Dragon's breath attack/Ice Dragon
Episode 8: Kirito AND the monster use one in the opening 30 seconds with Kirito killing it with Vertical Square. He uses one against the Ragout Rabbit, Kirito and Kuradeel use them in their fight, Asuna, Kirito and a monster use Sword Skills.
Episode 9: Kirito and Asuna using Sword Skills on the boss with Kirito revealing the Starburst Stream Skill. Hell, Klein even brought up a menu for Skills and there was a close up of three of Kirito's skills 3 seconds later with an expanded view of 7.
Episode 10: Divine Blade, Heathcliff and Kirito fight, Asuna using Star Splash and Kirito using Embracer on Kuradeel
Episode 11: Asuna uses one twice on the Army member,
Episode 12: Kirito uses the Detection skill on The Fatal Scythe.
Episode 13: Nishida uses the Fishing skill on the fishing pole. Asuna uses a Sword Skill on the lungfish. The whole Skull Reaper Fight
Episode 14: Skull Reaper fight + Heathcliff and Kirito's duel.
Episodes 5 and 6 are probably the only ones without since there was no fighting involved.

You get fall damage, Weapons/Items has Durability, Weapons based on Speed/Power/Stats, Armor based on Stats/situation, Bosses have more HP bars than regular monsters and do different attacks based on the weapon they hold/V.2 mode, Monster Taming, Potions and Crystals (Warp and Healing), Menu/G.U. Interface, Skills, Upgrading/Forging via Blacksmith, Cooking/Fishing skills, PvP, Guilds with Guild Emblems, Negative Statuses (Stun ottomh), Personal Homes, Party, Buddy Lists + Messaging System, Trade system, Town Teleport Gates, Leading Monsters to a town and letting it kill the NPCs strategy, Map, Level System, Music In-Game, Quests from NPC/etc, Revival Item, People trying to get dates with girls, Monsters Respawning via glowing light, Indicator Icon over players which changes colors identifying PvPers, GM hax, Marriage/Shared Storage.
SMELLS LIKE MMO TO ME.




Thank you for taking the time to provide evidence for your claims. I went through the anime again and will provide evidence for my claim.



Episode 2: @14:58 minutes; Kirito and Asuna just rann into the boss using just switching. Asuna finished the boss with just one simple slash.

Episode 3: @6:46 minutes; Again Klein finished off a wolf with a simple slash.
@17:50 minutes, the animator didn't even show the battle between Kirito and the boss.

Episode 4: @3:28 minutes, Again kirito finished off 3 ogres with his slash that wasn't even animated.

Episode 7: @14:07minutes: It's not an "ice breath attack", again Kirito just whirled his sword and the snow from the ground whirled around him, that's all. This is not a skill.

Episode 8: @00:35 minutes: Again Kirito finished a Monster with just slashing.

Episode 9: @14:53 minutes: Starburst stream, again, a skill that just involves Slashing the enemy to death.


Episode 10: Slashing.

Episode 13: Fishing skills are part of crafting... as is cooking skills are. It's not relevant to my argument. Asuna killed stuff with slashing again.

Episode 14: @00:21 minutes, boss is SLASHED to death. No real skills or strategies.



Do you see the pattern? All they do is slash the enemy to death. It's all about who is the highest level.




MY ORIGINAL COMMENT:

My expectations were not met after Episode 1.

When I watched the first episode I was like, "Oh wow, I'm going to love this series".

And then... they just focus on storylines/aspects that could have been done in a normal drama/shoujo anime. It didn't stay true to the sci-fi element or to the environment/setting the anime is set in.

As an MMO player myself, the game mechanics in the anime was too simple. Sword slashing... that was it. They didn't elaborate on how you have to figure out ways to defeat a boss... it was just slashing.



And the characters are even worse. Cliched personalities and reactions. In my review, I gave this 3 out of 5 stars anyway and that's being generous.






In real life MMO's, the player doesn't just slash slash slash block block block his way through a monster, especially not a dungeon monster.
They have support classes and support skills such as defensive buffs known as "Protect" or "Shell" in Final Fantasy XI/XIV online.
There are also crowd control skills known as "Mass Invisibility" or "Freeze" in Guild Wars 2.



ALSO, I never said SAO is not an MMO, so stop twisting my words or putting words in my mouth. I said its mechanics are simple.


I have already provided evidence for my original claim; you're trying to counter an argument I never ever presented.

Please don't put words in my mouth and read my comments more thoroughly next time.
23144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
As much as I do wish they could stay in SAO, this is based on a light novel, so they have to follow it's plot. While it may not be as exciting, at least give props for following the plot of the original and staying faithful to the original (I'm looking at you, Soul Eater).

Also, as a side note, in the Afterword of the first book of the ALO arc, the author actually said that he was worried about whether or not people would be interested in watching someone play an MMO without the threat of death, and I thought it was pretty fucking ironic to see that it was so popular it got an anime, just to have people be upset by it anyways.
4531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 11/28/12
I enjoyed the first arc mostly, a few rough spots here and there, but the 2nd arc is soooo bad. They basically trashed everything by getting rid of the SAO game. the World is changed, Almost all of the characters have changed, even asuna basically one of the mains has become this doll that just sort of sits there now. All of the new character I do not like at all. Its almost like we are watching some shitty spin off or something. You have all these things we have very little knowledge about like magic and factions, and conflicts. Its like right when I started to feel connected to the world they pulled the plug on me.
41910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/29/12 , edited 11/29/12

Byzantine279 wrote:

There are hundreds of skills, as far as we know, they just didn't bother to explain that, say, one handed and two handed swords are different skills, or that smithing is a skill, because it should be obvious.

They have HP, STR, and AGI, the game was intentionally made with only these three traits (a smaller number of traits than most MMO's are standard in the author's series).

Instead of armor being class based the armor is based on your play style and how you feel about moving in it, same as class really. Not all MMO's force you to choose a class and stick with it. Regardless, there are obviously no Healing classes because there are no such ways to heal in SAO, there are healing crystals and potions, not something you devote a character to using. Hence there are the damage class and tank class. Kirito is an obvious example of the damage class, as is Asuna. Heathcliff is an example of a tank, as is the guy who "died" in a murder case in the area.

Basically, the lack of addressing is because they should all be obvious, you failing to note them is because you didn't pay attention to the details, or expected to be spoon fed. Being spoon fed is not good usually.



When I watch a Crime show, I expect to see detectives figuring out how to solve a crime. When I watch a sci-fi anime based on MMO's, I expect the MMO mechanics to be extensively covered.

If I wanted to watch two people going to honeymoon land for two episodes, I'll watch Ah! My Goddess or some crap like that.


Read my above comment if you want to know why I think the mechanics are simple: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-782743/sword-art-online-plot-being-ruined?pg=9#41682356
2337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 11/29/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:

FallenYmir wrote:

Saying that SAO has no skills is trolling when EP. 1 states that there are skills in the game with further episodes proving the claim. So much for reading comprehension, huh?
Vindictus is one MMO that's similar to SAO (Playing as Lann/Fiona characters). What MMO are you talking about?


You really need to read my original post more thoroughly; I wrote it in plain and simple English. Nowhere did I say SAO has no skills; I said all the skill I see involved is the "slashing" of swords which contributes to the simplicity of the game mechanics of an MMO.

I never said SAO lack all of an MMO aspects; I merely said that its MMO mechanics are SIMPLE. Get that through your head.
I do acknowledge that it represents an MMO; with the use of potions, HP, pets, resurrection stones, teleportation stones, dungeons, bosses, crafting. But I'm only voicing my own opinion about how it addresses the skills aspect of an MMO at a superficial level, which in turn contributes to its simplicity.


FallenYmir wrote
Yes I think the anime is great but I also pointed out flaws. EP 3, A Murder Case in the Area, Kirito and Asuna being the only two people in the entire game being genuinely happy, Kirito being able to steal weapons, Alart, Sleep PK in general, Paralysis lasting longer than a minuet in an MMO with PvP (Personal), Asuna being able to disarm Kuradeel in a PvP

Switching isn't a skill, it's an aspect/strategy in SAO. Dual-wield is just ONE of the skills (since no-one can dual-wield except for one person) with Starburst Stream being a subset under it.

Majority of Sword Skills being used in the anime 1-14.
Episode 2, 13/14 are the ones with the most obvious uses of Sword Skills but since you need me to point out every example:
Episode 1: Kirito and Klein use SS against Boars and Kirito used one against the wolf
Episode 2: Diabel, Kibaou, Asuna, Kirito, Agil and his team used against the Boss.
Episode 3: Kirito and Tetsuo against the Mantis, Klein used one against the wolf, Kirito used the non-combat skill Pursuit, The Axe dude in the Guild used one against the Golem, Kirito used it against the Goblins/Golems,
Episode 4: Had Rosalia use Listening, Silica using one against the marlboro/plants, Titans Hand mooks using SS against Kirito, Kirito's Battle Healing skill
Episode 7: Kirito uses one against the Ice Dragon's breath attack/Ice Dragon
Episode 8: Kirito AND the monster use one in the opening 30 seconds with Kirito killing it with Vertical Square. He uses one against the Ragout Rabbit, Kirito and Kuradeel use them in their fight, Asuna, Kirito and a monster use Sword Skills.
Episode 9: Kirito and Asuna using Sword Skills on the boss with Kirito revealing the Starburst Stream Skill. Hell, Klein even brought up a menu for Skills and there was a close up of three of Kirito's skills 3 seconds later with an expanded view of 7.
Episode 10: Divine Blade, Heathcliff and Kirito fight, Asuna using Star Splash and Kirito using Embracer on Kuradeel
Episode 11: Asuna uses one twice on the Army member,
Episode 12: Kirito uses the Detection skill on The Fatal Scythe.
Episode 13: Nishida uses the Fishing skill on the fishing pole. Asuna uses a Sword Skill on the lungfish. The whole Skull Reaper Fight
Episode 14: Skull Reaper fight + Heathcliff and Kirito's duel.
Episodes 5 and 6 are probably the only ones without since there was no fighting involved.

You get fall damage, Weapons/Items has Durability, Weapons based on Speed/Power/Stats, Armor based on Stats/situation, Bosses have more HP bars than regular monsters and do different attacks based on the weapon they hold/V.2 mode, Monster Taming, Potions and Crystals (Warp and Healing), Menu/G.U. Interface, Skills, Upgrading/Forging via Blacksmith, Cooking/Fishing skills, PvP, Guilds with Guild Emblems, Negative Statuses (Stun ottomh), Personal Homes, Party, Buddy Lists + Messaging System, Trade system, Town Teleport Gates, Leading Monsters to a town and letting it kill the NPCs strategy, Map, Level System, Music In-Game, Quests from NPC/etc, Revival Item, People trying to get dates with girls, Monsters Respawning via glowing light, Indicator Icon over players which changes colors identifying PvPers, GM hax, Marriage/Shared Storage.
SMELLS LIKE MMO TO ME.


Thank you for taking the time to provide evidence for your claims. I went through the anime again and will provide evidence for my claim.

Episode 2: @14:58 minutes; Kirito and Asuna just rann into the boss using just switching. Asuna finished the boss with just one simple slash.

Episode 3: @6:46 minutes; Again Klein finished off a wolf with a simple slash.
@17:50 minutes, the animator didn't even show the battle between Kirito and the boss.

Episode 4: @3:28 minutes, Again kirito finished off 3 ogres with his slash that wasn't even animated.

Episode 7: @14:07minutes: It's not an "ice breath attack", again Kirito just whirled his sword and the snow from the ground whirled around him, that's all. This is not a skill.

Episode 8: @00:35 minutes: Again Kirito finished a Monster with just slashing.

Episode 9: @14:53 minutes: Starburst stream, again, a skill that just involves Slashing the enemy to death.

Episode 10: Slashing.

Episode 13: Fishing skills are part of crafting... as is cooking skills are. It's not relevant to my argument. Asuna killed stuff with slashing again.

Episode 14: @00:21 minutes, boss is SLASHED to death. No real skills or strategies.

Do you see the pattern? All they do is slash the enemy to death. It's all about who is the highest level.

MY ORIGINAL COMMENT:

My expectations were not met after Episode 1.

When I watched the first episode I was like, "Oh wow, I'm going to love this series".

And then... they just focus on storylines/aspects that could have been done in a normal drama/shoujo anime. It didn't stay true to the sci-fi element or to the environment/setting the anime is set in.

As an MMO player myself, the game mechanics in the anime was too simple. Sword slashing... that was it. They didn't elaborate on how you have to figure out ways to defeat a boss... it was just slashing.


And the characters are even worse. Cliched personalities and reactions. In my review, I gave this 3 out of 5 stars anyway and that's being generous.


In real life MMO's, the player doesn't just slash slash slash block block block his way through a monster, especially not a dungeon monster.
They have support classes and support skills such as defensive buffs known as "Protect" or "Shell" in Final Fantasy XI/XIV online.
There are also crowd control skills known as "Mass Invisibility" or "Freeze" in Guild Wars 2.

ALSO, I never said SAO is not an MMO, so stop twisting my words or putting words in my mouth. I said its mechanics are simple.

I have already provided evidence for my original claim; you're trying to counter an argument I never ever presented.

Please don't put words in my mouth and read my comments more thoroughly next time.


Except that they use more than "simple slashing".

Do you know what the switching system is supposed to do? In SAO, when you use (certain) Sword Skills, you're vulnerable to attack as seen during the boss fight in Episode 2. When you switch, you're protected for the most part while you can recover and if timed correctly, allows the monster to become vulnerable/consecutive counterattacks.

Without watching Ep. 2 I already know Kirito was the one to defeat Illfang, not Asuna, and got the last attack bonus. Watching it, they used strategy in that Kirito would use the parry skill to leave an opening for Asuna. Kirito also used the wrong Sword Skill and ended up with about half of his heath gone. They also employed the same strategy again with Asuna using a multi-hit combo Skill and leaving Kirito to end it with a 2-hit combo Sword Skill.
Ep. 3 Still a skill and Klein himself said they were trash monsters anyways. And, unless you like filler, there was no fight description for Nicholas the Renegade in the source material unlike the Floor 1 and 74 Bosses.
Ep. 4 Glowing Sword = Sword Skill Used, even if it wasn't animated. Could have been a "simple slash" x3 as you put it or it could have been one of the AoE SS (I wouldn't know, I don't read the LN).
Ep. 7 Funny since 3 seconds earlier, Lisbeth says, word for word, "Its breath attack! Dodge!" before switching to the Dragon shooting ice-fire from it's mouth to Kirito using a Sword Skill against it right after. He even sliced off one if it's arms (unless you think that's not a strategy)
Ep. 8 Except that wasn't just a slash, that was one of the more complex Sword Skills in the game.
Ep. 9 Ignorant comment, thinking Starburst Stream is the same as any other normal Sword Skill, which is why Kirito was so torned with the idea of revealing his Dual Blade Skill. Why use Starburst Stream when you can just slash it to death-Oh wait, at the rate we're fighting, we're going to die. Used the switch system so Kirito can prep. before tagging in.
For one, no one can match the damage output in the same time as one does using Starburst Stream in SAO. The Dual Wield Skill also gives a bonus in the form of higher attack speed, lower cool down, etc.
Ep. 10 Heathcliff's Holy Sword Skill allowed him to switch between his Sword and Shield instantaneously in battle which he used in both this fight and 14. I don't know enough about PvP to know if Sword Skills are the only viable option or if normal strikes count (Looks like the latter)
Also ignoring Asuna using a multi-combo Sword Skill to disable Kuradeel before he was able to strike and Kirito using a Marital Arts Skill.
Ep. 13 Still considered skills. Asuna was also overleveled so a low-level Sword Skill is all that's needed.
Ep. 14 Ignoring that the previous episode which had them form and use a strategy (Kirito, Asuna, and Heathcliff neutralizing The Skull Reaper's main method of attacking while the others attacked), the boss was brought down to basically 1% which is when, and I'm not basing this on any statistics, every gamer starts spamming attacks. They didn't even use the same "slashes" as you would put it.

Should have included Ep. 5 since they come up with a strategy to defeat one of the bosses by luring it to the village and letting it attack the NPC while they attack it (or the non-animated part where they tried to feed it meat or lulled said boss to sleep via NPC but we're only talking about the anime)

As for your comment on how you don't think SAO lived up to being an MMORPG, I'll let that go since that's an opinion even though everything I listed were found throughout the anime and that others agree it lived up to an MMO environment. You're clearly not going to change your mind.

Levels only work on lower monsters. Higher level monsters and bosses require strategy which the anime clearly shows.

Those skills you listed are magic which, as Kirito stated in Episode 1, doesn't exist in SAO. Now that we have that covered, I'm going to post videos with classes that are likely to be found in SAO.
Now I'm not an expert so I'm going to link to IGN's gameplay of Guild Wars 2 as a Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoW6MSuklI
Looks just like SAO except with one skill being able to throw your melee weapons (In SAO, you're able to throw smaller items so close enough). Skills change depending on weapon (like SAO), and look! What you call simple slashing is there in the form of a skill called "GreatSword Swing" (what's even funny is that the commentator opts to call it an auto-attack). Then there's "Hundred Blades" which looks and is described like Starburst Stream-lite.

I'll look at a Guardian later since the video won't load.

No expert on Final Fantasy 14 so here's a video (which unsurprisingly had less than Guild Wars 2) Warrior Skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_Gz9GRkd4
That looks even LESS impressive than Guild Wars.
FF14 Paladin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIUQfIvh_g
FF14 Monk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmc3g3G3kdY
FF14 Lancer/Dragoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0vrpjQd-Uo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObPr2vp1obg
Which all look like SAO with (some) flashier skills.

Feel free to link to a video that proves me wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTMf-8aNeWs
That's basically SAO with a female Kirito and has almost the same moveset, even with a Starburst Stream at 2:44. Looks like mindless slashing to you?, it's not to me, since not using skills won't get you past midlevel bosses. Now I don't know that particular character's skills since the North American version offered free Lv. 50 Characters, so I'm going to base my (accurate) observation on the fact that Vella is a copy of Lann and that the Side-step, Blocking, and Counterattack Skills which are found on Lann are clearly used in the video.
69683 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/29/12
Blood hell, is this thing really worth writing a novel about to try to defend it?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.