Remove this ad
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you find it harder to make friends as an adult?
26905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 6/10/13

jakal56 wrote:


AmayaTsuki wrote:

So, I have a few really good friends, but I've known them since high school. I've noticed that meeting people as an adult is really difficult and I wonder if a lot of other people struggle with this too or am I just doing it wrong I've thought about it a lot and I guess since, as an adult, pretty much all you do is go to work, it's pretty hard to meet people you can make a real connection with.

How do you guys meet people? Or do you struggle like I do?


I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, buddy! Of course I also have developed a bit of a social anxiety over the last few years and that certainly doesn't help haha!


My social anxiety has actually gotten a lot better as I've gotten older. Now, I just don't have the opportunity to use my new found confidence
27317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
I think a lot of it comes down to time and maturity. In high school and college you have more free time and you are in situations (classes, dorms, clubs, etc.) that make it easy to form friendships. When you get older, you don't have those groups and from my experience, anything that happens with coworkers in social situations can get spread around the workplace and can be awkward. So yes, I think it is harder to make new friends as you get older. Like anything, it's about comfort and trust. You can still find "clubs" when you are older (relay for life, 5k fun runs, anime cons, join a gym, etc.), you just have look for activities that focus around your hobbies/interests and then talk to people. Or you could try something new and take some classes (photography, art, skydiving, etc.). You will also find that marriage and kids opens doors to friendships with people who you meet in that process.

Just be open to communication and get to know people (and be safe).

What's important is that friends accept you for who you are.
5498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Scotland
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
Was never good at making friends when I was younger or as I am now. But then, I never really tried much to make friends because I was never really interested lol. So I guess I don't really know tbh.
8628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Utah, USA
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
Yes. I think it's because everything is always changing. I mean back in elementary school, middle school, and high school I want to the same school year in and year out was around the same people and was able to learn about them for one whole year. I hardly ever see the same people twice now days and it just seems to be getting worse as time goes by
5353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Boston
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
Only if you don't know where to look.
42202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Changing
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
I don't think so. During childhood years it was tough for me to make friends. My family moved a lot so I just became a loner after a while. Once the college years hit, I had a social boom and now I go to far more parties and hang out with friends more often. I meet new people at work every year and sometimes we stay in touch but beyond that it's really just a bunch of highschool girls that I talk to.
9556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 6/10/13
No,

At my age friends have come, gone, returned and died, only my wife is eternal
Posted 6/10/13 , edited 6/10/13

Steelmonk wrote:



At my age friends have come, gone, returned and died, only my wife is eternal


That actually sounds pretty dang cool. I used to feel making friends as an adult was harder. However, looking at it now, I feel like it's actually more relaxing. No more having to act friendly towards people you were with all day in high school. If you don't like someone out there in the real word you can usually avoid them fairly easily or keep your distance.


cloud8100 wrote:

Was never good at making friends when I was younger or as I am now. But then, I never really tried much to make friends because I was never really interested lol. So I guess I don't really know tbh.


I have my days. Some days I like seeing people, other days I don't. In the end though I really do like people I guess.
2100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Train ride to now...
Offline
Posted 6/23/13
To be honest, I do find it hard to find friends as an adult, because not many people would like anime as much as you do or watch the things you like, or read the things you prefer compared to what others like. To be honest, I have a sister that's 23 years old and has friends that are 30 something. She's so happy that I got to hang out with "people my age". I have not said a single word besides "hello" and I was bored throughout the whole time. I'm only quiet because I have different likes compared to what they like. And all those people care about is getting drunk. How is that fun????

I'm actually anti-social and I prefer to be sober. I find it annoying when people insist I drink just because I'm old enough. efff that! Leave me in a room with wifi and leave me there when it's time to go. I must be really boring to some people when I think about it. But, I feel a lot comfortable being around myself so that makes it a lot harder for me to communicate with other people, I suppose. But, that's just like me so I'm not really complaining.
15119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/13

ShiikiSama wrote:

To be honest, I do find it hard to find friends as an adult, because not many people would like anime as much as you do or watch the things you like, or read the things you prefer compared to what others like. To be honest, I have a sister that's 23 years old and has friends that are 30 something. She's so happy that I got to hang out with "people my age". I have not said a single word besides "hello" and I was bored throughout the whole time. I'm only quiet because I have different likes compared to what they like. And all those people care about is getting drunk. How is that fun????

I'm actually anti-social and I prefer to be sober. I find it annoying when people insist I drink just because I'm old enough. efff that! Leave me in a room with wifi and leave me there when it's time to go. I must be really boring to some people when I think about it. But, I feel a lot comfortable being around myself so that makes it a lot harder for me to communicate with other people, I suppose. But, that's just like me so I'm not really complaining.


Yeah don't give into peer pressure.
Sogno- 
16572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/23/13
eh it's about the same
254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Edinburg Tx.
Offline
Posted 6/23/13
I do meet alot of new friends but just friends just the type of friends you shake hands with and a small conversation of how are you doing i still hang out with my high school friends and they are like family to me now.
1811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 6/23/13
I'm an adult? Since when?
122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 6/23/13 , edited 6/23/13
not so much being hard to make friends as it is hard to keep them
8466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/30/13
Pretty much. Requires some ice-breaking.
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.