First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Have you ever gotten into a religious rant by random chance?
5143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 8/26/13

miserykitsune wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


miserykitsune wrote:

Yeah, over here we have a crazy pro-life group called Youth defence (mainly men and old women, waste of time as abortion isn't legal here for any reason).

They go door to door occasionally and also have stalls on the streets and rallies.


Waving placards of dead foetuses in my face and trying to give me leaflets, trying to tell me how we are God's last safe haven against abortion in Europe and how we have to defend the country's Catholic stance and view. Bunch of old bigoted, rosary bead thumbing biddies.

Took all my self control not to start punching faces.


I'm glad you had self control, otherwise you might have wound up in jail, not a nice place to end up, for whatever reason.

even though I know how they feel, I don't condone their way of action, none of them have the right to force their views on you, If you refuse to accept one of their handbills, then they should just go to someone else, without hurtful comments or insults

tell us, where you live, Is it lawful to do what their doing without a permit to demonstrate in public?


I don't think it is lawful without a permit but I do think they have permits. They plastered the place in graphic posters that violated litter laws on numerous occasions but I'm not sure what came of that, I think they did end up being fined on one occasion round Christmas. Once the time limit is up you can tear down their posters. Their stands must be legal as I've never seen the gardai move them on.

They have also have public watchdogs investigating their dodgy funding (most of it comes from American donors, not Irish despite the whole 'Ireland's biggest pro life group' spiel ) but because they are classed as a charity, there isn't a lot that can be done.


It's a seriously bonkers group, even most pro lifers hate them.






I'm curious, is this happening throughout ALL of Ireland?, I would likely be a tourist in your country, (I'm from California), and wondered, does this group to some of the things they've done here, like invaded the medical facility that did perform abortions, and harass customers, (clients)?

Hey, who knows, I may see them on " 20 Most Shocking Videos: Protesters & Rioters #1 "
4582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 8/26/13

AcadGlade wrote:


miserykitsune wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


miserykitsune wrote:

Yeah, over here we have a crazy pro-life group called Youth defence (mainly men and old women, waste of time as abortion isn't legal here for any reason).

They go door to door occasionally and also have stalls on the streets and rallies.


Waving placards of dead foetuses in my face and trying to give me leaflets, trying to tell me how we are God's last safe haven against abortion in Europe and how we have to defend the country's Catholic stance and view. Bunch of old bigoted, rosary bead thumbing biddies.

Took all my self control not to start punching faces.


I'm glad you had self control, otherwise you might have wound up in jail, not a nice place to end up, for whatever reason.

even though I know how they feel, I don't condone their way of action, none of them have the right to force their views on you, If you refuse to accept one of their handbills, then they should just go to someone else, without hurtful comments or insults

tell us, where you live, Is it lawful to do what their doing without a permit to demonstrate in public?


I don't think it is lawful without a permit but I do think they have permits. They plastered the place in graphic posters that violated litter laws on numerous occasions but I'm not sure what came of that, I think they did end up being fined on one occasion round Christmas. Once the time limit is up you can tear down their posters. Their stands must be legal as I've never seen the gardai move them on.

They have also have public watchdogs investigating their dodgy funding (most of it comes from American donors, not Irish despite the whole 'Ireland's biggest pro life group' spiel ) but because they are classed as a charity, there isn't a lot that can be done.


It's a seriously bonkers group, even most pro lifers hate them.






I'm curious, is this happening throughout ALL of Ireland?, I would likely be a tourist in your country, (I'm from California), and wondered, does this group to some of the things they've done here, like invaded the medical facility that did perform abortions, and harass customers, (clients)?

Hey, who knows, I may see them on " 20 Most Shocking Videos: Protesters & Rioters #1 "


Ireland does not allow abortions, except where the mothers life is in danger, so there isn't anywhere to protest or attack. Women either self-abort or go abroad in their thousands. Nothing Youth Defence can do about that except stick posters in the airports.

There is one clinic up North (different laws) Marie Stopes where people stand outside all day. That's a different group now (Precious life) but they are all linked in various ways. I know less about the Northern situation but I don't think they've attacked anyone directly, I've just heard about intimidation.

Youth defence have set up stalls and held marches in different spots round the country. They even had a float in an Easter parade (fucking wrong, for pro-life or pro choice groups imo). They also attacked pro choice campaigners with hurley sticks in 1992 so there is a history of violence. They claim to have over 90000 members but there are so many Americans/involved (they even brought loads over to take part in the marches) that it's hard to tell just how big the group actually is. One blogger found out only 14% of their group appears to actually be Irish.



5143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 8/26/13

miserykitsune wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


miserykitsune wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:


miserykitsune wrote:

Yeah, over here we have a crazy pro-life group called Youth defence (mainly men and old women, waste of time as abortion isn't legal here for any reason).

They go door to door occasionally and also have stalls on the streets and rallies.


Waving placards of dead foetuses in my face and trying to give me leaflets, trying to tell me how we are God's last safe haven against abortion in Europe and how we have to defend the country's Catholic stance and view. Bunch of old bigoted, rosary bead thumbing biddies.

Took all my self control not to start punching faces.


I'm glad you had self control, otherwise you might have wound up in jail, not a nice place to end up, for whatever reason.

even though I know how they feel, I don't condone their way of action, none of them have the right to force their views on you, If you refuse to accept one of their handbills, then they should just go to someone else, without hurtful comments or insults

tell us, where you live, Is it lawful to do what their doing without a permit to demonstrate in public?


I don't think it is lawful without a permit but I do think they have permits. They plastered the place in graphic posters that violated litter laws on numerous occasions but I'm not sure what came of that, I think they did end up being fined on one occasion round Christmas. Once the time limit is up you can tear down their posters. Their stands must be legal as I've never seen the gardai move them on.

They have also have public watchdogs investigating their dodgy funding (most of it comes from American donors, not Irish despite the whole 'Ireland's biggest pro life group' spiel ) but because they are classed as a charity, there isn't a lot that can be done.


It's a seriously bonkers group, even most pro lifers hate them.






I'm curious, is this happening throughout ALL of Ireland?, I would likely be a tourist in your country, (I'm from California), and wondered, does this group to some of the things they've done here, like invaded the medical facility that did perform abortions, and harass customers, (clients)?

Hey, who knows, I may see them on " 20 Most Shocking Videos: Protesters & Rioters #1 "


Ireland does not allow abortions, except where the mothers life is in danger, so there isn't anywhere to protest or attack. Women either self-abort or go abroad in their thousands. Nothing Youth Defence can do about that except stick posters in the airports.

There is one clinic up North (different laws) Marie Stopes where people stand outside all day. That's a different group now (Precious life) but they are all linked in various ways. I know less about the Northern situation but I don't think they've attacked anyone directly, I've just heard about intimidation.

Youth defence have set up stalls and held marches in different spots round the country. They even had a float in an Easter parade (fucking wrong, for pro-life or pro choice groups imo). They also attacked pro choice campaigners with hurley sticks in 1992 so there is a history of violence. They claim to have over 90000 members but there are so many Americans/involved (they even brought loads over to take part in the marches) that it's hard to tell just how big the group actually is. One blogger found out only 14% of their group appears to actually be Irish.




Ahhh well, they seem to be just a nuisance
8030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / England
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
I am a Methodist Christian. I am a believer, yet I still question some things in the bible. People never understand how I can believe when I still question. I think I can, I think it just helps me understand it more, so I have more right to believe. People who blindly follow the bible wont have as much relief when they finally pass over and reach heaven as one who questioned and strengthened their belief.
In my opinion, believers who don't question only follow the bible because they are scared or they are being selfish - not because they actually believe.

Your quote sir

. Just as they were getting to ready to kick me out I added "Just one last question. Does your god want blind faith or faith earned through arduous questioning and testing? Because all I see is blind faith here."
is one of the best points any atheists have ever made in an argument I've seen (although, in my opinion, doesn't back your argument of proving the bible or god wrong)

Well done indeed
11523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / My heart is in Ni...
Offline
Posted 8/31/13 , edited 8/31/13
I don't think I have ever had a true religious rant but here is the closest one I have experienced. Back when I used to fix computers for a living, a preacher one day came into the store I worked at and requested his computer to be fixed as it had many viruses. While he was describing the issue that was wrong with the machine he suddenly started talking about internet pornography in the loudest voice I have ever heard about how it was destroying male Christians and families across America yada yada yada.... This sermon lasted for a good while all I could was shake my head and quietly ask him is there anything more can do help

Later as I turned on the machine, I was immediately bombarded with porn pop ups. Okay I thought this was strange but that can happen innocently enough, I finished cleaning the machine of viruses/spyware and proceeded to update the drivers. Opened up IE, then I thought it was more strange that it brought me straight to Redtube and it was set as the homepage. I figured it must be some prank that someone setup for him (he was an older guy) Switched homepage back to MSN/Bing homepage. After I fixed and updated everything and the customer picked it up, he called later that day complaining that his favorite home page had been changed I asked him what his homepage used to be, he said it started with Red but he could not remember the rest of it.
45409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M & F / New Ameri...
Offline
Posted 8/31/13

ippikiokamiotaku wrote:
Maybe he honestly thought you wouldn't actually need to run the machine to fix it. Like in order to fix it, you'd only have to open it up and make adjustments that way. Some people actually think that fixing a computer is completely mechanical like fixing a car. But yeah total closet porn junkie there.

11523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / My heart is in Ni...
Offline
Posted 8/31/13 , edited 8/31/13
I did try to keep that in mind while working on it as that belief does occur quite often, especially with people who are unfamiliar with the workings of a PC. And I personally don't mind porn nor judge those who look at porn (as long as it is not illegal), nor did I try to purposely find porn on people's computers but when someone gives a mini sermon out of the blue about shunning porn and then you find porn on his PC, that does raise some suspicions especially if you are someone like me who is a borderline agnostic. To be quite honest looking back, it felt like I was working on Claude Frollo's PC from Hunchback of Notre Dame.
bayanr 
7023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/12/13

longfenglim wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

It is just a set of beliefs. If you believe in the dogma of science, which is a set of beliefs, you have a religion. Not ever questioning the dogma means you treat science as a god. A false god that lies.


If you knew how science actually work, you would know that there is no 'dogma of science', because the scientific method is to make no assumption until it can be conclusively shown, and if a theory is shown wrong, no matter how fundamental it is, it must, by the scientific community, be replaced. There is no claim to truth.

Religion, on the other hand, tells us that there is a certain set of truths- God, Jesus, whatever other stupidities people believe. These are truths that are unerring and unchangeable, and, even if not correlated, or contradictory to the evidence, must be accepted, no matter what.


You're thinking of organised religion, which does claim to preach the truth. To most people religion is a moral and spiritual guide, completely independent of science. The two don't conflict because the two have different goals in mind. Science aims at explaining the universe and all it's secrets, religion aims at providing moral axioms for people to reason with. Obviously you don't need religion to be moral or spiritual it's simply one of the ways to be those things.

As a religious person, I find very little more infuriating than having one of my own make a scientific claim based on religion. That isn't what religion is meant for, and doing such a thing is for more insulting than burning a holy book in my eyes. If you believe in God created the universe then by denying what is in front of you based on a book that preaches morality then you are truly blind.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.