Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Dollar Bill to Dollar Coin
34565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
if we really want efficiency, digital. but that will take longer and cost more money to set up a network. its alot more complicated but in the long run its more effective and cost less. but most likely a lot less jobs than physical money.

but yea as an individual country that relies on imports we do need a standard for money. but i can't see how they are going to make the coins unreplicable. because i know i can easily make pennies though it would cost a handsome bunch but its possible. if coins like 100 were replicated, wouldn't be hard to rip of supermarket stores.

if coins will be the new standard, i want them in a geometric figure like a square or a hexagon. be alot cooler and easier to grip and place into a vending machine or automated services.
3202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

karmacide wrote:

Coins are a pain to put in your wallet..


yeah.... i don't want to bulk my wallet up with coins i love dollar bills
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Minnesota - It's...
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
REMOVE THE PENNY... why mess with something that's actually worth something.
1283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Minnesota - It's...
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

wolfsaiga wrote:



Couldn't you call check cards digital money? I mean I put my paycheck directly into the bank so the only time I pay in cash is when I owe someone.
34565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

billiam135 wrote:


wolfsaiga wrote:



Couldn't you call check cards digital money? I mean I put my paycheck directly into the bank so the only time I pay in cash is when I owe someone.


not really because, that amount is represented with hard cash located somewhere in some bank.

but yea, that is the general idea. but instead of simple digital based number system. i was thinking more of the lines of virtual money. a coded based currency so that there is never a duplicate or a counterfeit, all created by the government and run by them. alot easier to find if money is stolen so taxing is drastically reduced.

and these individually created cash works on its own without something physical to cash.

banks are still there, and they are also a software update or reissue of the cash in the bank. that the government can control so that hacking the money software is impossible.

wyrvan 
25883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

wolfsaiga wrote:


billiam135 wrote:


wolfsaiga wrote:



Couldn't you call check cards digital money? I mean I put my paycheck directly into the bank so the only time I pay in cash is when I owe someone.


not really because, that amount is represented with hard cash located somewhere in some bank.

but yea, that is the general idea. but instead of simple digital based number system. i was thinking more of the lines of virtual money. a coded based currency so that there is never a duplicate or a counterfeit, all created by the government and run by them. alot easier to find if money is stolen so taxing is drastically reduced.

and these individually created cash works on its own without something physical to cash.

banks are still there, and they are also a software update or reissue of the cash in the bank. that the government can control so that hacking the money software is impossible.



We are sort of all ready there. The economy is so large that there is more money in it then physical money exists.
18311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Covington, KY
Offline
Posted 12/7/12 , edited 12/7/12
Dollars are paper. Cents are coins. The public rejected the Susan B. Anthony, as something the same size, weight and color as a quarter could not be worth four quarters. Historically, coins worth more have been larger, or made of a more valuable metal. The Sacagewea gold plated dollar and presidential gold plated dollars have been hoarded by collectors, not spent. The only dollar coin ever accepted was the old-time silver dollar, and those things were too big and heavy. They would not be convenient. Congress and the US mint need to just stop pushing things the public does not want.
34565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

wyrvan wrote:


We are sort of all ready there. The economy is so large that there is more money in it then physical money exists.

yea i know that, but the cash in some bank represents watever virtual money you have. even though it not meant for you until you switch it out. but that also means that we are still dependent on the physical entity.
wyrvan 
25883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

wolfsaiga wrote:


wyrvan wrote:


We are sort of all ready there. The economy is so large that there is more money in it then physical money exists.

yea i know that, but the cash in some bank represents watever virtual money you have. even though it not meant for you until you switch it out. but that also means that we are still dependent on the physical entity.


For now, but people are getting more used to it. It is only a matter of time before it goes virtual.( In fact you can make the argumant that physical money itself is virtual because it is only bits of paper and metal that people has decided that it has value.) It comes down to trust. If people belive that a non-physical money can be competly trusted then physical money can be done away with.
34565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

wyrvan wrote:


wolfsaiga wrote:


wyrvan wrote:


We are sort of all ready there. The economy is so large that there is more money in it then physical money exists.

yea i know that, but the cash in some bank represents watever virtual money you have. even though it not meant for you until you switch it out. but that also means that we are still dependent on the physical entity.


For now, but people are getting more used to it. It is only a matter of time before it goes virtual.( In fact you can make the argumant that physical money itself is virtual because it is only bits of paper and metal that people has decided that it has value.) It comes down to trust. If people belive that a non-physical money can be competly trusted then physical money can be done away with.

even than we can't simply dispose of physical cash, the thing is the goverment with current tech breakthrough can easily do this. but the immediate cost is to big to sacrifice. and also foreign trade with a trust system of virtual money is pretty iffy at the moment.

and a piece of paper never had any value to begin with, its the value of our trade system and economic value. in a sense its a stock of the us gov. and thats a virtual market.

vendors of countries of smaller economic value can't be paid in virtual cash. and thats one of the biggest reason why we can't be full blown virtual yet, it needs to be more of a universal thing.

rbut yea its a work in progress, no where near completion at this point but its headed there.
69648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
66 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
It will generate more make-work for banks that launder money for the small-time drug sellers. All that extra weight means heavy-duty shocks and trannys instead of pleat and tuck hauling that bulk to the bank. Governments will be cash-strapped strengthening bridges and elevated pathways to handle this business. Paper is better. Burns easier when the weather drops to zero.
14941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 12/8/12
I thought cost of production for coins are higher since paper is easier to come by. I haven't watch the vid but what kind of material is it?

btw I remember the gold dollar coins people hardly use those and some local stores around my area at that time didn't want to take those.
34042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/12

Bashment wrote:

I thought cost of production for coins are higher since paper is easier to come by. I haven't watch the vid but what kind of material is it?

btw I remember the gold dollar coins people hardly use those and some local stores around my area at that time didn't want to take those.


As the article says, paper wears out in only a few years, but coins can last for 30 or more. Paper might be cheaper if you only consider one note, but we replace billions of notes a year. That would be much less of a problem with coins. I like the idea, but I get my paycheck either way, so it's not a huge deal for me.
10614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 12/8/12
There are always $1 coins in circulation, but they are hard to come across, like $2 bills. When you try to buy something with one, the clerk usually gives it a funny look for a minute, and maybe asks their supervisor about it, before accepting it.

Can someone who has plastic bills, please explain them? Are they hard like credit cards, or a thinner, flexible material?
2531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Southern California
Offline
Posted 12/8/12
The only thing I know is that my pockets or wallet will make a lot more noise, for sure....
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.