First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Emotions
4427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
What I find to be most interesting is the significance of emotions that drive everything that we do.
How and why it came to be specifically.

In theory if we all ceased to have emotions and were robots with a distinguished goal of survival and reproduction, we'd survive fine; so what I don't understand is where emotions could have taken part in this. Emotions branch off to a lot of things like our thought's, experiences and how we carry out our lives. What could have been triggered for us to have significance in choices of survival or 'life' as we call it? And so much so that we even question life ourselves and the reason behind it all.

Could it be a flaw? Has it helped us more in survival rather than being a robot? In many ways it has, such as fear. We fear things that could be potentially harmful and so we stay away from it and live to see a new day. (Yay)
However there are times where it hasn't; depression for example. Consistent depression can damage you to the point that it destroys your mind or pushes you to suicide. (Boo)

Why do we lust for the sense of fulfillment that we have the choice to attain in life? What drives us to it when it would be easier to be simple lived? Maybe it's all just gamble for the survival of the fittest. (I may have just answered my own question)

Anyway, this is just me thinking.
What's your take on emotions?
13244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / ANIME WORLD
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

Ab0 wrote:

No. I believe that emotions were a fundamental drive towards obtaining intelligence.

To emo people it must be a flaw.


lol wow that's what i though of emo people but people can not change without a push in their case a near death experience will show their true emotions
777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

Naicisum wrote:

Why do we lust for the sense of fulfillment that we have the choice to attain in life? What drives us to it when it would be easier to be simple lived? Maybe it's all just gamble for the survival of the fittest. (I may have just answered my own question)



This is exactly what i dont! I just wanna live a simple life, with people around that me that want to be around me for who i am if anything, i dont wanna accomplish anything, i just wanna live and thats basicly it ^^

I study random shit when im bored, but thats just cuz im wondering what it really is, so its not really like im living a complete life of ignorance :D

I do have emotions and shiz, but i just rarely follow them if you can say that o.O?

Imo, emotions are just things you can choose to ignore if you want, but most of the time its not really a good idea

Ever heard of MBTI? (Myers Briggs Type-Indicator)

Its basicly divided into I vs E, S vs N, F vs T & J vs P
(Introvert / Extrovert, Sensing / Inituition, Feeling / Thinking, Judging / Percieving)

So if you think of emos, they are usually VERY emotional and feeling, so already there it would be S & F being the "components" of that persons personallity.

The closest thing to these robots you think of is somewhere along the lines of N & T, in other words they wouldnt rate their feelings as high as their thoughts, and they'd rather go by what their intiution is telling them rather then what other people around them are more leaning towards

That you're outgoing or not doesnt really affect how your feeling, same with if you're open vs narrow-minded about things hence why i left those out ^^

Emotions can be a flaw, but it can also be life-defining so i guess its all depends on what kinda person you are ;D
24377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
I think the whole "emotion" perception is stupid, I wish it wasn't there, I don't know how to answer you're question about if it helped us through our life/NS/etc. But I think I would be better off without it -.- Yes I am a very sad person xD But I am not an emo, that's a fact, I just don't like being able to fear something, get depressed by something. It has its advantages with being happy and so on, + people say it's always worth the pain in the end, but somehow I think there are too many disadvantages -.-

I've had my fear share of being depressed, and often for no particular reason at all -.- But I don't recall being happy, that's what's odd with my life, I am not a depressed person, or anyone that would bring the mood to a dark place in a conversation, but I can't remember anything of that feeling -.- Might be a disorder, but I don't know.

All in all I think if we were too become emotionless people, it would probably make us a sad species. I think emotions aren't really necessary that much now a days, but when we've evolved through the past, we probably needed it the most. I can't choose <.<
16774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
I do find emotions to be a flaw. However, I also think life would be to easy, simple, and boring without burning passion and emotion. Emotion makes life so special, so intriguing. So it's a lovely flaw.
777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

JayVeeDees wrote:

I've had my fear share of being depressed, and often for no particular reason at all -.- But I don't recall being happy, that's what's odd with my life, I am not a depressed person, or anyone that would bring the mood to a dark place in a conversation, but I can't remember anything of that feeling -.- Might be a disorder, but I don't know.


Thats pretty standard fyi Ever heard of people saying "you dont know what you have untill you lose it" ? Basicly the same principal, because your happiness creates your "standard", so when its worse you notice it much more since this is somethhing that you dont want ^^

Thats also why we usually learn more from failure aka FAIL = First Attempt In Learning So go out there get sad as hell and then enjoy your life
24377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

kronikle wrote:


JayVeeDees wrote:

I've had my fear share of being depressed, and often for no particular reason at all -.- But I don't recall being happy, that's what's odd with my life, I am not a depressed person, or anyone that would bring the mood to a dark place in a conversation, but I can't remember anything of that feeling -.- Might be a disorder, but I don't know.


Thats pretty standard fyi Ever heard of people saying "you dont know what you have untill you lose it" ? Basicly the same principal, because your happiness creates your "standard", so when its worse you notice it much more since this is somethhing that you dont want ^^

Thats also why we usually learn more from failure aka FAIL = First Attempt In Learning So go out there get sad as hell and then enjoy your life :D


You're asking too much of me xD But thanks though:P I'll take this into a count:)
36250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/12 , edited 12/7/12
The chemicals that "create" emotions in our brains are always there in varying degrees. Technically speaking, everyone is always emotional to some degree. The motivation to build a space shuttle is fundamentally the same as the motivation to move your legs to walk across the room. It's just a matter of degree. A deep depression and feelings of being a failure are fundamentally the same as the feeling of disappointment when you realize you're a bit late for work. Again, it's the degree of emotion that we're talking about.

When you talk about having emotions vs. being a "robot," the question is irrelevant. Any machine that that attempts to "survive" must have a will to survive, i.e. a motivation. Thus, any machine that has a will of its own must have some sort of "emotion." Emotions are necessary for survival. You cannot survive unless you desire to survive, or have an outside force making you survive. Notice that a computer doesn't do anything unless it's "told" to. Having no emotion is equivalent to having no will. Life is literally not possible without it.
42602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 12/7/12
Depends on the emotions.

For example; Fear, Hate, Envy, Greed, ect were adopted for survival.

For a lesser and more complicated extent, Love, Happiness, Depression, Awe.


wrote:

No. I believe that emotions were a fundamental drive towards obtaining intelligence.

To emo people it must be a flaw.


They would never have survived our evolutionary process... stupid emos.
4576 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / @England
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

In theory if we all ceased to have emotions and were robots with a distinguished goal of survival and reproduction, we'd survive fine; so what I don't understand is where emotions could have taken part in this. Emotions branch off to a lot of things like our thought's, experiences and how we carry out our lives. What could have been triggered for us to have significance in choices of survival or 'life' as we call it? And so much so that we even question life ourselves and the reason behind it all.

Could it be a flaw? Has it helped us more in survival rather than being a robot? In many ways it has, such as fear. We fear things that could be potentially harmful and so we stay away from it and live to see a new day. (Yay)
However there are times where it hasn't; depression for example. Consistent depression can damage you to the point that it destroys your mind or pushes you to suicide. (Boo)


I think the question shouldn't be 'Why do we have emotions?' but 'Why do humans have the abilty of consciousness and what is it for? as animals have 'emotions' as you call it.

One theory of consciousness (the abilty of free thought and sense), could have been an evolution process which ties in with natural selection wherein over millions and millions of years all animals evolve to adapt to their surroundings through survival of the fittest, Darwin. This theory could also cancel out it being a 'flaw' as you put it. However where I don't see is how free thought links with adaptation as it just makes us beings more selfish.


wyrvan 
31109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/12

DraiKofi wrote:


In theory if we all ceased to have emotions and were robots with a distinguished goal of survival and reproduction, we'd survive fine; so what I don't understand is where emotions could have taken part in this. Emotions branch off to a lot of things like our thought's, experiences and how we carry out our lives. What could have been triggered for us to have significance in choices of survival or 'life' as we call it? And so much so that we even question life ourselves and the reason behind it all.

Could it be a flaw? Has it helped us more in survival rather than being a robot? In many ways it has, such as fear. We fear things that could be potentially harmful and so we stay away from it and live to see a new day. (Yay)
However there are times where it hasn't; depression for example. Consistent depression can damage you to the point that it destroys your mind or pushes you to suicide. (Boo)


I think the question shouldn't be 'Why do we have emotions?' but 'Why do humans have the abilty of consciousness and what is it for? as animals have 'emotions' as you call it.

One theory of consciousness (the abilty of free thought and sense), could have been an evolution process which ties in with natural selection wherein over millions and millions of years all animals evolve to adapt to their surroundings through survival of the fittest, Darwin. This theory could also cancel out it being a 'flaw' as you put it. However where I don't see is how free thought links with adaptation as it just makes us beings more selfish.




Evolution works through survival of the best suited individuals in a species. So being selfish in a time of less resouces would be a survival trait (just not a very nice one). Being selfish could have help early man organize into larger groups by getting more resouces with less work and less risk.
42100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 12/8/12 , edited 12/8/12
In my opinion, depression is a side effect of possessing such a high intellectual state.

If you look at other animals, you rarely see them getting depressed or becoming suicidal... because their intellectual levels are obviously not as high as ours (of course there are a few exceptions but in general other animals don't get depressed).

Back in cavemen days, it was all about finding food, if there was food, they would be happy. But in modern society, with humans' evolved intelligence, food isn't the only thing that we want. We want cars, houses, the perfect body etc. Not being able to obtain these things make us depressed.

In addition, with higher intelligence, we can question ourselves and the universe. Where did we come from? Why are we here on this Earth?
And not knowing the answers to those questions could lead to depression as well, believe it or not.
This is the price of higher intelligence even though it was meant to be a survival trait that puts us above every other animals in the food chain.

This is why the book "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is considered a literature masterpiece; it criticises modern society and their way of living while at the same time predicts the inevitable future; as humans become even more intelligent, we will no doubt have a larger side effect therefore we'll need external drugs to suppress those negative side effects.
36250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/8/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:

In my opinion, depression is a side effect of possessing such a high intellectual state.

If you look at other animals, you rarely see them getting depressed or becoming suicidal... because their intellectual levels are obviously not as high as ours (of course there are a few exceptions but in general other animals don't get depressed).

Back in cavemen days, it was all about finding food, if there was food, they would be happy. But in modern society, with humans' evolved intelligence, food isn't the only thing that we want. We want cars, houses, the perfect body etc. Not being able to obtain these things make us depressed.

In addition, with higher intelligence, we can question ourselves and the universe. Where did we come from? Why are we here on this Earth?
And not knowing the answers to those questions could lead to depression as well, believe it or not.
This is the price of higher intelligence even though it was meant to be a survival trait that puts us above every other animals in the food chain.

This is why the book "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is considered a literature masterpiece; it criticises modern society and their way of living while at the same time predicts the inevitable future; as humans become even more intelligent, we will no doubt have a larger side effect therefore we'll need external drugs to suppress those negative side effects.


That implies that more intelligent humans get more depressed than less intelligent humans. Not that I disagree with that -- I think it might even be statistically relevant. I just think it's interesting to claim that a potentially higher capacity to grasp the truth of the world (intelligence, or at least a byproduct of it) leads to being depressed in that world. I wonder what that says about the world? Haha.
9616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Portland, Oregon
Offline
Posted 12/8/12 , edited 12/8/12
If we all were emotionless like robots, that's exactly what we would be. But, life is full of emotion, even in animals. If people were emotionless, there's a possibility we would have never advanced from cavemen. There's a chance that people would have never been inspired to create the innovations they did. As well, people find things that truly give their lives a meaning. And I don't mean "a meaning" as some sense of stature like how important they are. I'm saying that gave them a sense of fulfillment. This fulfillment is true happiness and true peace within your heart... something money can't even buy.

But also, assuming that people merely live to survive is mistaken, and a very cynical view. The most recent incident I can think of where this was truly present was the Tibetans who lit themselves on fire in the streets of their country. They did it to make a point to the CCP and their people that their country should be identified as Tibet, and not as part of the Chinese Communist Party. For their own independence and for the people who live there. Whether you agree or not with the actions they took, this was truly selfless and not living for their mere survival.
17061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/19/13
No offence to anyone who isn't religous........but my answer is we chose to see through the eyes of god in the Garden of Eden. We wanted to know all emotions. so we took and we got.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.