First  Prev  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next  Last
Post Reply Have you ever been racially stereotyped?
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/12/13

Yoromeku wrote:

It was meant to be a little funny. But actually that is fine. "Black" would only refer to X-slaves in the USA. Mainly because every other race that we consider black has roots elsewhere that can be proven or traced. Much like it's a bit cruel to call a Chinese person and a Japanese person "Asian" when they have completely different heritages. While I may be the son of Slaves I cannot attest to the Cultures of Haiti or Africa like others can. The only History I have, the only culture I have is here in the USA. And while I know no other Home, I live with every negative Stereotype possible. Minus "cant dance" " Small pecker"..... By stereotype the only thing I'm good for is screwing and being a slave. Every other aspect of me as a person is below average... (by stereotype).

Though we all have different Stories we can all understand that Stereotypes and racism are not needed. They are built from ignorance. Yet we all are racist, at least a little. It does not mean we should spread these ideas. Keep them to yourself is the easiest way to stop racism. Meaning when I see a bunch of Spanish people, I shouldn't assume they all Drive honda civics and refuse to speak english. Though the thought might cross my mind. By not acting on it or voicing it, Racism dies a little that day. But the moment I walk up and ask them, "So what color is your civic, HAHA, you dont understand english anyway HA HA HA"..... The racism has grown 100fold in two sentences.


Can't disagree with that. But once someone does speak like that it behooves those of us who disagree with racism to speak up and speak out.

And fair is fair. I had a Jamaican lady at work boldly say that there were "too many Indians (from India) in Brampton(City in the Greater Toronto Area)" I told her that if I had said something like that I would have been called a racist. Why wasn't it racism when she said it? It gave her pause for thought at least.


20892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 1/12/13
Yup, because since i'm white i'm a blue eyed devil who is responsible for all the cruelties done to all the other races. I'm responsible for slavery, for imperialism, for the crusades....Why? Because i'm white. Get it all the time.
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Hahamoody wrote:

All you white people complaining about being mistaken for being of another European heritage. Lord. Drown in your white privilege pls

Edit: Since I'm multi-cultural (Hispanic-Filipino-Omani), nobody would ever guess any of my roots properly.


Privilege -- isn't that a form of racial stereotyping? isn't a also (along with whatever elements truth it does contain) a way to justify looking down on and judging a certain group as a whole? I love how people just ASSUME i've got it made because my skin is pale enough to hide my native heritage. You can choke on your hypocrisy. PLEASE



Oh my God. You're not joking, aren't you?
Yes, pointing out privilege is OBVIOUSLY racial stereotyping, just like how male privilege is obviously GENDER stereotyping-- how straight privilege is OBVIOUSLY sexuality stereotyping.
Never did I assume you've "got it made". I am merely pointing out the privilege you're automatically endowed with that you are unable to see it from a third person's perspective. it's the fact many people take the system for granted since you've been taught to never acknowledge your privilege, that in turn, oppresses other minorities.

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html

http://thisiswhiteprivilege.tumblr.com/

http://unfaircampaign.org/

http://endracismandhomophobia.tumblr.com/gayschool101
Please, before replying, read a bit of that and educate yourself of your privilege.


Davidvauhn wrote:

Yup, because since i'm white i'm a blue eyed devil who is responsible for all the cruelties done to all the other races. I'm responsible for slavery, for imperialism, for the crusades....Why? Because i'm white. Get it all the time.


Boo-hoo, your life must be horrible! For people to call you an imperialist because of the imeddiate oppression they're facing ona daily basis!
You are not responsible, but your ancestors are; because of that history, you are given privileges. If you want to be a decent human being, learn about your privilege and stop acting like the whole world revolves around you.
xoxo
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/12/13 , edited 1/12/13

Hahamoody wrote:

]


(Emphasis mine)

I love how you assume that because I disagree with you that I am white, male, straight, and cis-gendered. I can pass for the first( although strictly speaking I'm not), and unfortunately for your purposes I was born the second, at that point your assumption fails.

I've read a portion of the links you've posted. and will read more before replying further. But did you listen to yourself? Because of something someone did in another place and another time. I should apologise for the fact that my skin (entirely by coincidence, not descent) matches his? are YOU kidding?

(edit: spoilered to belatedly contain an impending quote pyramid)
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/12/13 , edited 1/12/13

Hahamoody wrote:


What is the antecedent of "born the second?"
Again, you are jumping into conclusions. Where exactly in my statement did I mention that you should specifically ~apologize~ for existing?
I am specifically asking you to acknowledge your privilege, and not act like it doesn't exist. Acknowledge the fact that you are born with privileges that others do not possess. Honestly, do some research. Anonymously ask what other people of color feel in places like America. Ask them what THEY think about privilege. The point is not what THEY (colonizers) did, but rather the IMPACT of their action in today's society.


No you were specifically asking people to CHOKE. had you started the conversation in a less confrontational way maybe the responses you are getting would be less ... defensive. and here you still assume that I am completely within the circle of priviledge.



46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/13 , edited 1/12/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Hahamoody wrote:


What is the antecedent of "born the second?"
Again, you are jumping into conclusions. Where exactly in my statement did I mention that you should specifically ~apologize~ for existing?
I am specifically asking you to acknowledge your privilege, and not act like it doesn't exist. Acknowledge the fact that you are born with privileges that others do not possess. Honestly, do some research. Anonymously ask what other people of color feel in places like America. Ask them what THEY think about privilege. The point is not what THEY (colonizers) did, but rather the IMPACT of their action in today's society.


No you were specifically asking people to CHOKE. had you started the conversation in a less confrontational way maybe the responses you are getting would be less ... defensive. and here you still assume that I am completely within the circle of priviledge.





Drown*. When the privilege is recognized, the water will shallow out.
Read the links when you get the time. Disband ignorance
xoxo
1mirg 
56770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 1/12/13 , edited 1/12/13
stereotyped?

Yes, back in the 5th grade I was in a soccer team. People on my team, and even a few people in the crowds..well, the parents section xD I was called to be "the mvp" or "the player" among them. After reaching the "little league championships" I decided to "goof off" since I was person doing everything most of the time, literly. But, after we lost the first game...then kicked out off the championships :p My teammates and a few parents started to call me "Momma's boy" and "quiter" during the walk over to the car. But, the way they said it was more like "Momma boy couldn't handle another game? such a quiter" and "Quiter!! Go back to momma and start eating." and "Well, what do you expect from a momma's boy?" and "If you were my son, I would of given you a good beating, boy". But, I was only in the fifth grade at the time :/ The ride back home was silent. after that. I quit soccer because I never took the game serious. I was just having fun, enjoying the game. But, when I just decided to do what my teammates do, guess what? I am the one at fault here, which I kinda was xD But, either way..there is my sterotyped, one of them
33244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / New Orleans
Offline
Posted 1/12/13
Yep, everytime American's are brought up in a post on one of these forums.
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/12/13

Hahamoody wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Hahamoody wrote:


What is the antecedent of "born the second?"
Again, you are jumping into conclusions. Where exactly in my statement did I mention that you should specifically ~apologize~ for existing?
I am specifically asking you to acknowledge your privilege, and not act like it doesn't exist. Acknowledge the fact that you are born with privileges that others do not possess. Honestly, do some research. Anonymously ask what other people of color feel in places like America. Ask them what THEY think about privilege. The point is not what THEY (colonizers) did, but rather the IMPACT of their action in today's society.


No you were specifically asking people to CHOKE. had you started the conversation in a less confrontational way maybe the responses you are getting would be less ... defensive. and here you still assume that I am completely within the circle of priviledge.





Drown*. When the privilege is recognized, the water will shallow out.
Read the links when you get the time. Disband ignorance
xoxo


People just want to pretend white privilege doesn't exist. Last time I checked the Forbes list of the top 1000 billionaires all over the world, almost 90% of them were white. Even the richest people in Africa are white men. Lol
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/12/13 , edited 1/12/13

White privilege is saying that AAVE(African American Vernacular English) is “desecrating the English language”.

These people don’t know how language works because they never feel that way about English people saying “I’ll take me coat” or “the building you’re sat in”.

If AAVE or other POC-related dialects were exactly the same, but affiliated with white people instead of people of color, they would be a “cute accent”.



I don't know how many times I've heard people try and talk bad about how other races speak English or when white people say to me, "you don't sound like other black people." Well, that's because I put on a mask for most white people that I don't know so I don't have to deal with them assuming that I don't know how to speak "proper English"and that I'm some ignorant thug gang banger simply because I choose to speak like everyone I was raised with.
1mirg 
56770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 1/12/13

assuming that I don't know how to speak "proper English"and that I'm some ignorant thug gang banger simply because I choose to speak like everyone I was raised with.


Dude, I am white. And I do not think of african's like that. But, this is coming from someone who was born and raised in a rough neighborhood, what would I know :p
10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/12/13

1mirg wrote:


assuming that I don't know how to speak "proper English"and that I'm some ignorant thug gang banger simply because I choose to speak like everyone I was raised with.


Dude, I am white. And I do not think of african's like that. But, this is coming from someone who was born and raised in a rough neighborhood, what would I know :p


You're not part of the problem. People who love to live in their cultural/social bubbles are the problem.
22627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / A suburban town i...
Offline
Posted 1/12/13
It's not so much the problem of have I been stereotyped. It is when, how badly and by who. Assuming that people don't or do something is the issue. This assumption people have of others, especially towards those who they've never met or have not enough background knowledge on, is stereotyping in whatever sense that they depict. This slanderous assumption aimed towards others as defined by one's thoughts on race is just specified and more easily noticeable.

For instance calling a girl a whore based on your opinion on her choice of clothing. Because you would never wear her clothing, assuming you're a girl in this case, due to your own beliefs or preferences you would go out of your way to try and defend your beliefs and desensitize the views of others. This action, more of a series of thoughts chained together but some of us like to speak what we think so I'm not limiting the example, is in a sense a stereotype namely because you would also associate other girls who dress like the one who sparked the assumptions. The finalization of this being a stereotype is when you pick other girls who would dress similarly to try and defend, or prove, your point.

Now instead of just picking out the way this girl, I'll just call her Girl A, dresses you also point out the color of her skin. Her race. This stereotype that you made earlier now branches off to claim that not only those who dress like that, but also the girls of her race in general. This singling out of color is what causes all the hullabaloo we know as racial stereotyping. Of course there are worse examples, "because he's black he must be a thug or delinquent.", "because hes brown he's stupid." or like " Because she's from Canada she must be a hick or an eskimo." These cases where one states such slanderous generalizations based off assumptions aren't so much painful as I view them as tedious, insensitive and rather child like.

I understand there's not much to "do", as in a sense of reaction, for it. But rather than take it to offense, although there are times when these trolls just get to me, I try to use these little sayings and accusations as fuel for the machine. The machine being the will to succeed and prove wrong the stereotypes. I mean, actions speak louder than words right? In this sense I feel that the stereotypes won't so much stop, as the ability to manipulate and transform opinions is rather unlikely, as much as it is they will change. Instead of something so demeaning and crude, they might change, hopefully, into ones of a more... tolerable nature.

So in short to answer the original question of have I, the answer would yes, be every now and then but I try not to take heed to the sayings or subliminal actions in the sense of making me mad. But it is such a little thing that it does not require too much attention, to me at least. It is as important as a fly hitting my windshield.
11011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/13
On white privilege, The problem with that is very simple. If racism toward other races exists, then White privilege exists. White privilege is NOT stereotyping because is it not perceived. Stereotypes are factually untrue, factually unrealistic statements. But on the basics of white privilege the NUMBERS and facts hold true to the statements. But instead of calling it white privilege call it "Majority" privilege. And then no one would have a problem with it. Since the majority makes rules and laws to benefit itself, why is it white privilege is a stereotype? Lets look at it this way, College enrollment, jobs, income. Since the majority is still the majority in all these areas.... It is a part of the "Majority" Privilege. While the minority usually falls below the minority limitations. IE if 24% of the population is Black, 24% should be in the work force, 24% should be enrolled in college 24% should be in all income brackets. We learn quickly that this is not true. While Whites are 60% of the population.... they have higher than 60% of all those fields. Thus the majority bias goes beyond its bounds. Thus their must be some form of bias based on race. Thus the concept of White Privilege is assumed. Since all men are equal if given the same circumstances. White privilege refers to the better circumstance that one race gets over another. If we were in Iraq, it would be very different. Being white would NOT give you that privilege since you would not be the majority. And you would live with the persecution that other races in this country suffer from by being the minority.
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/13 , edited 1/12/13

Yoromeku wrote:

On white privilege, The problem with that is very simple. If racism toward other races exists, then White privilege exists. White privilege is NOT stereotyping because is it not perceived. Stereotypes are factually untrue, factually unrealistic statements. But on the basics of white privilege the NUMBERS and facts hold true to the statements. But instead of calling it white privilege call it "Majority" privilege. And then no one would have a problem with it. Since the majority makes rules and laws to benefit itself, why is it white privilege is a stereotype? Lets look at it this way, College enrollment, jobs, income. Since the majority is still the majority in all these areas.... It is a part of the "Majority" Privilege. While the minority usually falls below the minority limitations. IE if 24% of the population is Black, 24% should be in the work force, 24% should be enrolled in college 24% should be in all income brackets. We learn quickly that this is not true. While Whites are 60% of the population.... they have higher than 60% of all those fields. Thus the majority bias goes beyond its bounds. Thus their must be some form of bias based on race. Thus the concept of White Privilege is assumed. Since all men are equal if given the same circumstances. White privilege refers to the better circumstance that one race gets over another. If we were in Iraq, it would be very different. Being white would NOT give you that privilege since you would not be the majority. And you would live with the persecution that other races in this country suffer from by being the minority.


I agree with the majority of what you've said, except for the last bit--referring to Dubai specifically.
My Economics professor once applied to a job as a financial consultant. He is a white-American and had received his education from a state university. Meanwhile, an Indian man of the same qualifications, except from one of the top-schools in India and presumably more experience, applied for the same job. My professor was offered salary X, whilst the Indian man was offered half of that. He had seen this situation countless time as in Asia, there is a social-stigma that considers the west to be more intellectually superior. It's almost a form of institutionalized discrimination. Although obviously, in most cases where equally impressive qualifications exist, the work-force in Dubai would prefer locals, there is still a form of Economical privilege towards the West.
I do acknowledge however that this is not necessarily the case all the time (Medicine, for example), but in the Business/Social-science field, the west still seems to be globally favored.
Even in a country like the Middle East, westerners (white, preferably) are still generally favored in industrialized areas.
In most cases, though, yes, the privilege lies with the majority.
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
The problem here is that white people believe that "calling something racist is racist within itself". No; Ignoring the elephant in the room will not make it go away.
3462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/13/13

Hahamoody wrote:


Yoromeku wrote:

On white privilege, The problem with that is very simple. If racism toward other races exists, then White privilege exists. White privilege is NOT stereotyping because is it not perceived. Stereotypes are factually untrue, factually unrealistic statements. But on the basics of white privilege the NUMBERS and facts hold true to the statements. But instead of calling it white privilege call it "Majority" privilege. And then no one would have a problem with it. Since the majority makes rules and laws to benefit itself, why is it white privilege is a stereotype? Lets look at it this way, College enrollment, jobs, income. Since the majority is still the majority in all these areas.... It is a part of the "Majority" Privilege. While the minority usually falls below the minority limitations. IE if 24% of the population is Black, 24% should be in the work force, 24% should be enrolled in college 24% should be in all income brackets. We learn quickly that this is not true. While Whites are 60% of the population.... they have higher than 60% of all those fields. Thus the majority bias goes beyond its bounds. Thus their must be some form of bias based on race. Thus the concept of White Privilege is assumed. Since all men are equal if given the same circumstances. White privilege refers to the better circumstance that one race gets over another. If we were in Iraq, it would be very different. Being white would NOT give you that privilege since you would not be the majority. And you would live with the persecution that other races in this country suffer from by being the minority.


I agree with the majority of what you've said, except for the last bit--referring to Dubai specifically.
My Economics professor once applied to a job as a financial consultant. He is a white-American and had received his education from a state university. Meanwhile, an Indian man of the same qualifications, except from one of the top-schools in India and presumably more experience, applied for the same job. My professor was offered salary X, whilst the Indian man was offered half of that. He had seen this situation countless time as in Asia, there is a social-stigma that considers the west to be more intellectually superior. It's almost a form of institutionalized discrimination. Although obviously, in most cases where equally impressive qualifications exist, the work-force in Dubai would prefer locals, there is still a form of Economical privilege towards the West.
I do acknowledge however that this is not necessarily the case all the time (Medicine, for example), but in the Business/Social-science field, the west still seems to be globally favored.
Even in a country like the Middle East, westerners (white, preferably) are still generally favored in industrialized areas.
In most cases, though, yes, the privilege lies with the majority.


Interesting. If this problem exists in the U.S., then as a Latino, I should expect more barriers in getting a job after getting my bachelor's despite being a student in one of the best universities. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong, 'cause this is intriguing.
*heavy sigh* As if getting a local part-time job isn't hard enough where I live. Although, I have "better" chances of working at the more international areas/firms (Disney, for example) in Florida. Many times I've been asked if I'm interested in working part-time in such places, but long distances and high gas prices are in the way.
3462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/13/13
I'm not sure if this counts, but one time in high school, one of my people commented that I "don't act Puerto Rican". She was younger than me at that time so she probably didn't know any better. I corrected her by replying, "I am FROM the island, like you. You mean to say that I don't act or talk gangsta enough, which is not all that we are". What really gave her away to give me that comment was 2 things:

-My rock music clothes (and there are plenty rock listeners in San Juan and Ponce).
-Not acting or looking "gangsta" or "ghetto". I can't tell you how insulted I felt.

Again she was younger than me.

Later in college, a Venezuelan girl asked me why I don't dance or listen to any type of Latin music (a common stereotype among my fellow Latino brethren). The problem isn't the question, but her tone as if something's wrong with me. I replied, "as nice as it sounds, it doesn't call out to me as much as loud guitars, do."

First  Prev  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.