Remove this ad
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
Post Reply Have you ever been racially stereotyped?
12195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Jolly ol' Blighty
Online
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

Yeah every now and again. It's surprising how many people are racist against white people. We are probably the most socially censored race there is, despite being a highly global minority on the planet.


This.

I find ironic. and racist, that a very common assumption among even among some 'whites' themselves is that only 'white' people can be racist.
---
one particular occasion of being stereotyped that I remember was when my co-workers were have a discussion about things frankly above our paygrade I remember shrugging and saying "that's all in the mind of the bosses, sitting here on the night shift do I look like the boss?"

and one co-worker muttered something about me being white. (which is ironic again because I'm not. I'm more 'gray' or mauve or something)




You'd be surprised the amount of times me or people in the store I used to work for were accused of being racist for either A: asking for ID to sell an 18 rated game or B: offering to buy a game for the price company offers becuase the person isn't happy with it.
Just because we are "White"
67647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

Valahuir wrote:





You'd be surprised the amount of times me or people in the store I used to work for were accused of being racist for either A: asking for ID to sell an 18 rated game or B: offering to buy a game for the price company offers becuase the person isn't happy with it.
Just because we are "White"


No I wouldn't back .. a long time ago .. when I was paying for school by (among other things) working as a security guard. the Race card got played all the time. Usually went something like this:

Them: "You're doing this (kicking them out of the hotel) because I'm (insert racial group here)"

Me: "No I'm doing this because it's 3 am, and your shouting at each other other and throwing empty beer bottles at each other in the hallway when everyone else in the hallway is trying to sleep and has complained to my boss about this. oh and I'm (insert racial group here) too"

Them: "You? you're too white to be an Apple (functionally similar to being called an Oreo)"
5012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Carlsbad, CA
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
Every time I go to a Mexican place for food, I ask for their hottest hot sauce and always get mild -.-
10133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

AdelaMorales93 wrote:

My dad is 100% Mexican and my mom is 100% Puerto Rican. To people, I don't "look hispanic". People always look really surprised when I speak spanish. In high school I was so used to hearing "What! You're spanish? You're lying." No. I'm pretty sure I'm hispanic. And yeah, I know I "look white". But it hasn't bothered me in a while.


Many Hispanic and Latino people look "white". Thats because Spaniards are WHITE!!!!! Sometimes you might have "white" features when some of the people your lineage had "white" features. Thats just the way it goes. The people that tell you that you dont look hispanic dont know what hispanic looks like. Why bother being upset when they just dont know what theyre talking about?
10133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13

SailorBee wrote:

I am usually asked if I am asian, half-asian, Russian or other kinds of things.

No one has actually EVER guessed my ethnicity right, and it sucks to feel like you're the last of your kind, or do not look like it. Especially since I'm so proud ~
!

My father is definitely white, red-headed male. But my mother is 100% Alaskan Native.

So I'm Inuit. <3



Every time I hear a person say they are proud of their race, ethnicity of nation or origin, I think of this: http://youtu.be/xDgmjL6z2jY

Pride goeth before a fall... Heh...
17204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
Idk.

Are Mexicans good at hopping fences? Are they the best in Cross Country? Does the economy revolve around mowing lawns?

Shame on you.
Crunchyroll Community Manager
24155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

CLarose wrote:


SailorBee wrote:

I am usually asked if I am asian, half-asian, Russian or other kinds of things.

No one has actually EVER guessed my ethnicity right, and it sucks to feel like you're the last of your kind, or do not look like it. Especially since I'm so proud ~
!

My father is definitely white, red-headed male. But my mother is 100% Alaskan Native.

So I'm Inuit. <3



Every time I hear a person say they are proud of their race, ethnicity of nation or origin, I think of this: http://youtu.be/xDgmjL6z2jY

Pride goeth before a fall... Heh...


Cool story
10133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/16/13

SailorBee wrote:


CLarose wrote:


SailorBee wrote:

I am usually asked if I am asian, half-asian, Russian or other kinds of things.

No one has actually EVER guessed my ethnicity right, and it sucks to feel like you're the last of your kind, or do not look like it. Especially since I'm so proud ~
!

My father is definitely white, red-headed male. But my mother is 100% Alaskan Native.

So I'm Inuit. <3



Every time I hear a person say they are proud of their race, ethnicity of nation or origin, I think of this: http://youtu.be/xDgmjL6z2jY

Pride goeth before a fall... Heh...


Cool story


Wait... How does that even pertain to racial sterotyping?
Posted 1/16/13
Everyone has been racially stereotyped...unless your white lol
1500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F
Offline
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13
lol i don't mind it tbh. where i live everyone does it in good fun. no one really gets offended. i've heard it all, all cubans are loud, cubans are the best swimmers, cubans are ghetto, etc.

^ to person who posted before me, even white people XD especially where i live since there are such a variety of racial/ethnic groups, it would be weird to see someone who's just white.
6121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 1/16/13 , edited 1/16/13
Well, it's a little different, but people either assume I'm an uneducated hillbilly, or are shocked because I don't act like one, because I am from the south. A lot of people from the west coast or up north have moved down here, and cannot believe I'm actually from my hometown. I don't have much of an accent, do not drink sweet tea or eat grits, and am not ultra conservative... so apparently I'm not from around here.

When I explain that my family is from California and Washington DC, it always makes things suddenly okay.
129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Virginia
Offline
Posted 1/16/13
i get all the time too. I know how you feel
12195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Jolly ol' Blighty
Online
Posted 1/17/13

k4therine wrote:

Well, it's a little different, but people either assume I'm an uneducated hillbilly, or are shocked because I don't act like one, because I am from the south. A lot of people from the west coast or up north have moved down here, and cannot believe I'm actually from my hometown. I don't have much of an accent, do not drink sweet tea or eat grits, and am not ultra conservative... so apparently I'm not from around here.

When I explain that my family is from California and Washington DC, it always makes things suddenly okay.


Now that you menton it i get that a lot too, Because I speak with clarity and don't use slang, street or otherwise everyone assumes I'm from London rather than the midlands where I was born.

People then get even more confused when I point out my family is from yorkshire which has a bit of a reputation for heavier accents and it's own dilect.

Although I'm getting a bit off subject.

To add to my prior post as somone mentoned about "white people thinking people calling racism is racist" or words to that effect in a previous page.

It's not the fact people might be concious of people being racist towards them that grinds my gears, after all it's sadly somthing that people do have to tolerate, even though they shouldn't rightly have too.

My annoyance is from those few who assume "being white = you're racist". That's my annoyance. Which is in itself a form of racial steriotyping.

I do apologise if I missed your point however.

Crunchyroll Community Manager
24155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 1/17/13

HAPPYKID44 wrote:

Everyone has been racially stereotyped...unless your white lol


White people are incredibly racially stereotyped.

For instance a lot of times being white means "devoid of race" to people. Which is in turn a stereotype.
411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / Stuck in a Star T...
Offline
Posted 1/19/13 , edited 1/19/13
(All of these because I have ginger hair)
"Do you have a soul?" > (Positive reply) "Yes, I assure you I have a soul," (Negative reply) "NO, BUT I WILL REAP YOURS!"
"DEMON!!!!!!!!!" > (Positive reply) "Are you serious?" (Negative reply) ARE YOU ******* SERIOUS!?!?!?!"
"Do you have a fiery attitude?" > (Positive) "Yeah, I guess sometimes," (Negative) "I DO NOW!"

Yeah....... prejudice towards red heads can be a bit weird sometimes......

Not exactly racially stereotyped but stereotyped in the form of prejudice.
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.