Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Have you ever been racially stereotyped?
22135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

Oldthrashbar wrote:


ShiverGirl wrote:

Just a curious question not really meant to cause chaos. I have been racially stereotyped when I was in 6th grade. A white kid asked me why I talk like a white person. I got kinda pissed but since we were in PE, I couldn't really focus on talking to him.

Has things like this happen to you?

Please lock up if duplicate.


Yo home skillet why yo talk like a white poeson? Err... west side P!


Basically. Grats on being... black? And able to speak proper English bro. There really is absolutely nothing cool about not being able to speak your language properly, or wear pants properly.


I think it was just the guys parents. Or most of the ghetto kids at our school, but most of us didn't talk street.

Also about the white people being racist stereotype, I think it comes down to who kinda started racism and slavery? The Spanish stopped, and the English continued on and did kinda screw up Africa and even when blacks got some rights, there was still racism. Maybe it's just thought like that because of that, and excuse me if my history is wrong. I've been re-studying it for an exam, so I'm still trying to think.
25221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 12/12/12 , edited 12/12/12
I suppose you could say I've been stereotyped, but in a weird way. You see, I'm half Palestinian (aka ARAB), and the other half is split between Polish and English. However, I turned out looking almost 100% Polish. I'm also Muslim, and dress conservatively. So when other Arabs see me, they some times think I'm "American" originally (in Arab terms, that means non-Arab non-Muslim). For the record, I was born and raised in America, and I currently still live here.

Anyway, so the question asking begins, "Are you Arab?"
"Yes."
"Oh, really? I thought you were American."

"Can you speak Arabic?"
"Yes."
"REALLY? Like omg, I thought you weren't Arab."

"How did you become a Muslim?/insert similar question here."
"I was born into it."
"Oh, so you're Arab?"
"Yes..."

*I get introduced by such and such (doesn't really matter who)*
"This is my [insert word here]."
"Where is she from?"
"Palestine." *note: Many Arabs like to identify as Arabs even if they're mixed
"Oh, really? Amazing, I thought she was American."
>_>

Don't judge Arabs wrongly now, it's just that many of them (mostly the ones born and raised outside the U.S.) like to call people that don't 'look' Arab... American. It's weird. Seriously.

Thankfully, that's about all the stereotyping I've faced. However, my sister faced stereotyping at college because she's a Muslim. Her comp professor told her to leave the class because, "Your religion doesn't allow you to hear these things."
I told her she should've went to the dean and complained. I would have. Total BS.
Posted 12/12/12
Oh this lol I am stereotyped so many times.

People think Im either Scottish because of my accent.

I have been told that I am international from countries like Saudia Arabia, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan.

But its happened so many times now that it gets annoying sometimes. I am half Scottish and a mixture of Pakistan/India, but I look very arab. I dont know why people say that.

Oh and shockingly people thought I was a jew to why because I wear the hat that they wear, but i only wear it cos its a good deed to do so.
806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Charleston, SC
Offline
Posted 12/12/12
I was the only white kid in my class for 4 years when we lived in Hawaii. And Hawaiians do NOT like white people. Now I'm back on the mainland living in the South, where some people are still fighting the Civil War.

But as I always say. Black, White, Yellow, Red.....it's all Pink on the inside.
22135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

diodrin wrote:

I was the only white kid in my class for 4 years when we lived in Hawaii. And Hawaiians do NOT like white people. Now I'm back on the mainland living in the South, where some people are still fighting the Civil War.

But as I always say. Black, White, Yellow, Red.....it's all Pink on the inside.


Wait, why don't they? Are you sure this isn't just the area?
Posted 12/12/12
Being of Asian heritage, I remember facing both subtle and direct discrimination. People do not realize the history that Asians have in the United States and the difficulties they faced during their immigration years. Even today, whilst it may be better for Asians in terms of rights and "equality", Asians face various difficulties. They are treated as "Perpetual Foreigners" and thought to never assimilate into the American culture.

Asians are often asked the question "Where are you from?"
If the Asian replies with an answer of a place in the U.S. they are asked a follow up question "No, where are you really from?"

It's offensive because Asians are treated like foreigners; I was born in China but I grew up in America surrounded by American ideals and culture. Sure, I may not be American on paper or birth but I am American by culture.
806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Charleston, SC
Offline
Posted 12/12/12 , edited 12/12/12

ShiverGirl wrote:


diodrin wrote:

I was the only white kid in my class for 4 years when we lived in Hawaii. And Hawaiians do NOT like white people. Now I'm back on the mainland living in the South, where some people are still fighting the Civil War.

But as I always say. Black, White, Yellow, Red.....it's all Pink on the inside.


Wait, why don't they? Are you sure this isn't just the area?


Local Hawaiians don't like white people because they showed up out of nowhere, stole their food, raped their women, spread new diseases, and told them their Gods were fake. Then they decided to make the islands a port for their war machines and drug them into a world of violence. All legitimate reasons for hate. But I was an 11 yr old kid. And being run down by adults in cars while biking home from school seemed a bit racist to me at the time. There is a day in Hawaii known as "kill haole day." It means kill white trash day. It's an un-official holiday where locals seek out and beat the fuck out of any white people stupid enough to get caught alone.

All my friends were Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese. And they made sure to keep their distance during those days. Not to mention I wasn't allowed to come over into their houses. My Japanese friend's mother actually told him "not to allow that white dog into the house." I would bike over and sit outside until their families would let them come outside.
Banned
31580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The Universal Con...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

CLarose wrote:

As far as sagging jeans or wearing skinny jeans that show your underwear, who really cares? People can wear what they want to wear. That doesn't tell you anything about them but what kind of style they identify with. Hitler wore suits and so did Al Capone, John Dillenger, and George Barnes (Machine gun Kelly) so are we to assume that anyone that wears nice suits is a gangster, thug or a murderous zealot? Hmmm... I think people need to re-prioritize. I also find it funny how gangsters from the 30's and 40's are now glorified in movies but the gangsters of today behave similarly and they are looked at as disgusting criminals. So many people love movies like the godfather and scarface but they hate the current criminals and drug dealers of today. What's that all about?


Do you even know the origins of sagging pants?

A quote from another black man:

Black parents, it’s important to offer our children an understanding of the historical provenance of sagging pants. Wearing sagging pants emerged from prisons. In prisons, sagging pants is symbolic and a tangible expression to have other men recognize that one is homosexual and ready to be penetrated in the anus. While I’m in no way trying to get you to preach to your children against homosexuality, what I’m attempting to do is have you educate your children about the origin of sagging pants and the symbolic and practical meaning of those sagging pants for those situated in prison. I want your children to be fully informed about their choice to sag their pants.

Source:

http://theblackmancan.org/?p=2860
22135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

diodrin wrote:


ShiverGirl wrote:


diodrin wrote:

I was the only white kid in my class for 4 years when we lived in Hawaii. And Hawaiians do NOT like white people. Now I'm back on the mainland living in the South, where some people are still fighting the Civil War.

But as I always say. Black, White, Yellow, Red.....it's all Pink on the inside.


Wait, why don't they? Are you sure this isn't just the area?


Local Hawaiians don't like white people because they showed up out of nowhere, stole their food, raped their women, spread new diseases, and told them their Gods were fake. Then they decided to make the islands a port for their war machines and drug them into a world of violence. All legitimate reasons for hate. But I was an 11 yr old kid. And being run down by adults in cars while biking home from school seemed a bit racist to me at the time. There is a day in Hawaii known as "kill haole day." It means kill white trash day. It's an un-official holiday where locals seek out and beat the fuck out of any white people stupid enough to get caught alone.

All my friends were Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese. And they made sure to keep their distance during those days. Not to mention I wasn't allowed to come over into their houses. My Japanese friend's mother actually told him "not to allow that white dog into the house." I would bike over and sit outside until their families would let them come outside.


That's horrible. I never knew that's how Hawaii was colonized or more like what happened when they came, but it sad to see them hold grudges over someone who has no choice. It's not right and it's no fair. Though this world always be judged by skin color...
Posted 12/12/12
I have always been told that I "act white." Which I then respond with, "Than what is acting black?" Which seems to shut up people quickly, yet I think I get it. Apparently to them acting black is liking rap music, speaking slang and knowing the latest dances. Black is a color, not an image. It is amazing to me how people mistake intelligence with "acting white," as if only whites can be intelligent and speak fluently. Not only is it insulting me, but it is insulting to them as well.

Here's another issue that seems to come up a lot. One day a person asked me what are some of the things I like? I told him that I like playing video games and anime, to which he responds, "Oh really? I didn't know black people liked anime?" I literally could not come up with a response, since the sheer ignorance of the question was so great, that it caused my brain to stop processing coherent sentences. Instead, I laughed and walked away. Notice how this situation relates to the first one. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's gone through this, since I have talked with other black anime fans who've suffered the same brain halting stupidity.

Another situation that happened when I was in middle school. Our class was having a picnic outside, in which one of the teachers brought watermelon. When offered a slice, I told them, "No thanks, I cannot stand watermelons," which the damn teacher replied: "I have never met a black person who disliked watermelons." This was a black woman.

And I can't tell whether this accounts as racial stereotyping or her being just plain dumb, but I remember in school I was having lunch with my friends and one of the teachers came over and started nostalging over how when she was younger, she always wanted "hair like black women" and started touching my hair.

I look back at those thing and tend to laugh. Although racial stereotyping happens, realize that it has nothing to do with you personally, but the person themselves. They are only limiting their own intelligence, while you still have all the opportunity to grow by not allowing prejudice to blind you.
Banned
31580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The Universal Con...
Offline
Posted 12/12/12
Yes, I've been stereotyped as an Asian gangster.
56390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Missouri
Offline
Posted 12/12/12


I actually never said I wasn't racist. I am actually pretty racist. In the sense that I assume everyone who isn't white is probably going to cause me trouble. And in the area I live in.. Its more often true than not. So yes, I am racist. Or not, as I don't automatically think the black or Hispanic guy standing in front of me is a bad guy. Not because of his face or the color of his skin. Because of his clothing and the way he speaks. And what I judge him to be by what he wears and the way he speaks.. is sadly... never wrong; at least not yet.
Stereotypical white person thing to say, but my closest friend for 2 years of middle school was black. I've only met 2 other people who I've been able to get along with as well as him. But we lost touch, and I find out a year ago he joined the wrong crowd, he became the kind of person that makes me so bitter, racist, hateful, and distrustful. And now he's dead. Stupidity.
10133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

-Vega- wrote:


CLarose wrote:

As far as sagging jeans or wearing skinny jeans that show your underwear, who really cares? People can wear what they want to wear. That doesn't tell you anything about them but what kind of style they identify with. Hitler wore suits and so did Al Capone, John Dillenger, and George Barnes (Machine gun Kelly) so are we to assume that anyone that wears nice suits is a gangster, thug or a murderous zealot? Hmmm... I think people need to re-prioritize. I also find it funny how gangsters from the 30's and 40's are now glorified in movies but the gangsters of today behave similarly and they are looked at as disgusting criminals. So many people love movies like the godfather and scarface but they hate the current criminals and drug dealers of today. What's that all about?


Do you even know the origins of sagging pants?

A quote from another black man:

Black parents, it’s important to offer our children an understanding of the historical provenance of sagging pants. Wearing sagging pants emerged from prisons. In prisons, sagging pants is symbolic and a tangible expression to have other men recognize that one is homosexual and ready to be penetrated in the anus. While I’m in no way trying to get you to preach to your children against homosexuality, what I’m attempting to do is have you educate your children about the origin of sagging pants and the symbolic and practical meaning of those sagging pants for those situated in prison. I want your children to be fully informed about their choice to sag their pants.

Source:

http://theblackmancan.org/?p=2860


Some people say that's the origin of sagging pants, others say that inmates sag their pants when they first enter prison because they used to take away their belts so they couldn't use em as weapons. Im sure there are more stories out there. What's your point? Does any of that invalidate anything I said? Nope!
10133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

Oldthrashbar wrote:



I actually never said I wasn't racist. I am actually pretty racist. In the sense that I assume everyone who isn't white is probably going to cause me trouble. And in the area I live in.. Its more often true than not. So yes, I am racist. Or not, as I don't automatically think the black or Hispanic guy standing in front of me is a bad guy. Not because of his face or the color of his skin. Because of his clothing and the way he speaks. And what I judge him to be by what he wears and the way he speaks.. is sadly... never wrong; at least not yet.
Stereotypical white person thing to say, but my closest friend for 2 years of middle school was black. I've only met 2 other people who I've been able to get along with as well as him. But we lost touch, and I find out a year ago he joined the wrong crowd, he became the kind of person that makes me so bitter, racist, hateful, and distrustful. And now he's dead. Stupidity.


There's nothing wrong with judging someone based on their actions. I do feel like a person shouldn't be judged based on the manner in which they speak or their style of dress. Maybe you should broaden your horizons. The world isn't your neighborhood.
10133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 12/12/12

neumaus wrote:

Don't judge Arabs wrongly now, it's just that many of them (mostly the ones born and raised outside the U.S.) like to call people that don't 'look' Arab... American. It's weird. Seriously.


So they assume that you're American because you were born and raised in America, you're only half Arab and don't have Arab features? I don't see how that's stereotyping... People born and raised in America are Americans.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.