Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Anime: Art or Entertainment?
23364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/16/12 , edited 12/16/12
It's both, what I don't see is, why Abstract is a form of art, the hell. Anyone could do it, but it takes *feelings* to put it all into abstract -.-? Damn that's just annoying -.- Anyways, I love to look at an anime picture and see how it's drawn, it looks great, that's one reason because I want to learn at least to be able to mimic pictures of other characters, it would be great. Actually I think it's the same if you draw a picture of a face in real life, that is art.

Then again there could be this argument about Movies aren't they art? <.< I guess it comes down to whether a Camera or a Program (f.x. Anime Studio, Photoshop etc) Is a valid option to make art with, I would say yes, but about the camera it's a bit difficult to say <.<!
37191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 12/16/12
Both, like all animation. Cartoons, CGI, etc. Granted, american cartoons don't normally hold much artistic value.
35180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 12/16/12 , edited 12/16/12

JayVeeDees wrote:

It's both, what I don't see is, why Abstract is a form of art, the hell. Anyone could do it, but it takes *feelings* to put it all into abstract -.-? Damn that's just annoying -.-




You're wrong. Not "anyone" can do Abstract art. I certainly couldn't and I do have talents in fine arts but my specialty is specifically portrait painting.

But I do understand that Abstract art follows certain principles, it's not just random blobs of colours on the canvas like most people think. Those principles can only be seen by Abstract art appreciators or abstract painters. Ordinary people wouldn't be able to see them.

Just like in poetry, lines of words have to have a certain rhythm... and principle... not any random lines of words are considered poetry.
13041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 12/16/12
I say anime is art, over the years it has never ceased to surprise me with some of the most amazing animated scenes ever.

Posted 12/16/12
I think its both...the drawings of characters and the plot are all pure art but i think that is what also make entertainment. since people enjoy and are entertained by it.
23364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/16/12 , edited 12/16/12

GayAsianBoy wrote:


JayVeeDees wrote:

It's both, what I don't see is, why Abstract is a form of art, the hell. Anyone could do it, but it takes *feelings* to put it all into abstract -.-? Damn that's just annoying -.-




You're wrong. Not "anyone" can do Abstract art. I certainly couldn't and I do have talents in fine arts but my specialty is specifically portrait painting.

But I do understand that Abstract art follows certain principles, it's not just random blobs of colours on the canvas like most people think. Those principles can only be seen by Abstract art appreciators or abstract painters. Ordinary people wouldn't be able to see them.

Just like in poetry, lines of words have to have a certain rhythm... and principle... not any random lines of words are considered poetry.


Abstract is just blobs of paint, make a abstract focused artist paint a human face, tell me how it turns out. I don't see why people go into such huge detail like "oh, the red is so deep in this picture" or in poetry "What does this (blue water) mean in this poetry" It's complete BS, I mean blue water? Really there are people that go that far into it, sure there may lay a reason within that explains why the writer actually said blue water, because it's blue and it's water maybe? -.-
35180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 12/16/12

JayVeeDees wrote:
Abstract is just blobs of paint, make a abstract focused artist paint a human face, tell me how it turns out. I don't see why people go into such huge detail like "oh, the red is so deep in this picture" or in poetry "What does this (blue water) mean in this poetry" It's complete BS, I mean blue water? Really there are people that go that far into it, sure there may lay a reason within that explains why the writer actually said blue water, because it's blue and it's water maybe? -.-


The fact that you can say something like this so easily is because you obviously have no experience in painting.
I think you should go to painting classes in an art studio one day. It's not as easy as you think.

Mixing the colours is half the fun, but it's incredibly hard to get the colour you want. You start from three primary colours; red, blue and yellow. Need incredible precision and composition.

In my opinion, drawing real life objects is easier than drawing something abstract.

Some artists can do both abstract and realism, for example Picasso, he started off painting realistic portraits, then later on his paintings became more and more abstract.



23364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/16/12 , edited 12/16/12


Dude I said a person that went from abstract to realistic pictures not viceversa, and well everyone knows how to blend colors to get what you want. Red and Yellow to make up Orange.. But that's not what I meant by far, its the principle that people think that a color shows something as a whole, in a realistic picture you can see how sad or happy a picture judging by how it's painted. Now take abstract, we all get this stupid thing that says "blue" means depressed etc. "black" means death etc. "yellow" which is happiness etc. it's stupid, judging a color just because it looks like the sun which makes it all happy and stuff. You know what? The sun is not a happy place it's pretty deadly up there.
Sure all the colors have different meanings in different part of the world, which just makes this a whole lot easier to argument.

Yes I know pretty much about literature, I am no expert, but I don't think you are either, I'm just saying that Abstract shows no sign of Skill, nor is it worth the watch for my eyes. It's not art in my opinion.
Banned
31580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The Universal Con...
Offline
Posted 12/16/12
Abstract art requires no skill and it looks like shit.
35180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12

JayVeeDees wrote:

Yes I know pretty much about literature, I am no expert, but I don't think you are either, I'm just saying that Abstract shows no sign of Skill, nor is it worth the watch for my eyes. It's not art in my opinion.


Actually, I am an expert in literature considering I studied literature at university, 19th and 20th Century literature, Shakespeare and Creative Writing.

I don't consider myself the next Shakespeare or JK Rowling or anything, but I believe I have the talents to write something far better than Stephanie Meyers.

Like I said before, getting the right colour mixture requires skills. Sure you can follow a certain formula in an art book to get the exact colour you want if you can't do it naturally yourself...

But then what? You need skills and talent to know what colours to put onto the canvas; no book or machines in the world can tell you what complex colours will complement what complex colours (I'm not talking about purple complements yellow basic kindergarten stuff).

And, the meanings behind Abstract art are not found only in the colour alone. There are composition of objects on the canvas and then like the picture I posted above, there are meanings behind that painting, if you go to a website and read it, you'll find someone's interpretation.
23364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12


Abstract Requires Math. if you're talking about finding the colors. You take some of this, take some of that and it becomes this. Sure I get that you can't just put a ton of red in and just some few spots of green and yellow, but man that is basic stuff for the brain to remember, it takes skill to remember a Recipe for some delicious food-.-

And about the machine part, colors are just what is perceived through a persons eyes, no wonder why a computer can't understand them, you might be thinking "wowowow, the crunchyroll button to make a new thread is orange!" That's just something that the computer does to trick the mind, it's just code to confuse the computer more when it actually can see these so called "colors"

And about the meanings.. That's the thing he used real art to go with the abstract? Tell me how does it make it an full on abstract picture if he uses natural painting(Painting a face, a boat etc.) To make up for the random weird ass cubes around the picture?

35180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 12/17/12

JayVeeDees wrote:
Abstract Requires Math. if you're talking about finding the colors. You take some of this, take some of that and it becomes this. Sure I get that you can't just put a ton of red in and just some few spots of green and yellow, but man that is basic stuff for the brain to remember, it takes skill to remember a Recipe for some delicious food-.-


I'm not going to deny that cooking takes skills.
But my point is unless you have talents in art, you're not going to be able to mix the complex colours... which is a hard thing to do. Even talented artists are unable to obtain the most complex colour.

I'm just contesting your original point which stated that "anyone could do abstract art".



And about the machine part, colors are just what is perceived through a persons eyes, no wonder why a computer can't understand them, you might be thinking "wowowow, the crunchyroll button to make a new thread is orange!" That's just something that the computer does to trick the mind, it's just code to confuse the computer more when it actually can see these so called "colors"


Computer monitors do have colour generator, what is it? It uses three basic colours (Red, blue and green) to generate all the colours you see on the screen.
The computer graphic card sends the information to the monitor...



And about the meanings.. That's the thing he used real art to go with the abstract? Tell me how does it make it an full on abstract picture if he uses natural painting(Painting a face, a boat etc.) To make up for the random weird ass cubes around the picture?


I'm not an expert on Abstract paintings.
But just looking at that painting I linked earlier, I can see that the yellow at the top is different from the yellow at the bottom and the yellow on the side.

It's hard to get those yellow's too.



All these cubes could represent the person's different emotions, this is just my own interpretation.



*by the way this is an interesting conversation, didn't it to become so much of a hassle xD, but in all honesty, I do respect your opinion, but this is mine, so unless you can prove what I'm thinking is wrong, well then, good luck xD*


I've already provided evidence for the reasons why not everyone can do Abstract art:
1. Mixing the colours
2. Putting those colours cohesively
3. Composing the abstract objects on the canvas
4. Thinking about meanings behind those abstract objects

All these things require talents and skills specific for Abstract Art.

I mean, I can paint an abstract work or a landscape if I try really hard, but it's not something that comes naturally to me. If you ask me to paint a portrait, I can do it without thinking about it.

That's fine if you don't agree with my points, I doubt my mere words could change anybody's hatred for Abstract Art.
I think that if you try out painting yourself, you will know what I mean. It's hard to get the right colour you envision in your mind, all areas of painting pretty much require that first skill.

21136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
Honestly, any form of media can be art. For instance, lets talk about video games. As you may know, a lot of people do not consider video games art. One of the reasons claimed is that video games are mindless filth, with no intrinsic value. To which I say, erotic novels and pornography should disqualify books and movies. The same applies to anime. For all the shitty shows that come out (MOE < SHIT), there is that show that changes the way you think about something. Whether that something is what makes you question what makes you human like in Ghost in the Shell, what would you want if you could make a wish in exchange for your life like in Peulla Magi Madoka Magica, or even something that simply makes you feel whole, like Clannad and its message of the importance of family, it is art. At the same time, feeling like this can be entertaining, so it is both.

Reading back over that, I just realized I may have ended on about half a dozen tangents, so,

TL;DR Yes to both.
36905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
For me it's both. I'm a huge fan of art and I loved the different styles and themes that are protrayed in anime and manga. I also watch it for entertainment. I noticed that a lot of anime and manga have very interesting plot-lines that I might not be able to find on TV, film or novels. The culture of anime and manga also intrigue me.
31580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / At the edge of dr...
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
No one could ever convince me that anime is not entertainment; the mere notion is just silly. The exact same thing goes for the ridiculous idea that anime is not art. So yes, it is definitely both.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.