First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Anime: Art or Entertainment?
25681 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Online
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12


About the cooking part it was sorta meant sarcastic and sorta not <,<!

About the graphic card and that, that's not true. The only real colors you can see on a monitor are white and black, everything else is a delusion created within the machine.

Cubes, that's exactly what I mean when it's stupid <.<!! They are cubes, with colors-.-


I've already provided evidence for the reasons why not everyone can do Abstract art:
1. Mixing the colours
2. Putting those colours cohesively
3. Composing the abstract objects on the canvas
4. Thinking about meanings behind those abstract objects


And I've already said what is proven against it's logic -.-
1 Math
2 have a paintbrush and start making cubes with red and very rare yellows.
3 picking something from real art and mixing it up a bit, with cubes that are red.
4 Water is blue and grass is green. I think that because the water is blue, it must hold some meaning, something deeper within, maybe some fishes or something.

*I was totally not using much sarcasm in all of these sentences-.-*

I'm not neglecting that colors/cubes symbolize anything, it's just that it's stupid to be a part of art. I personally am not much a person that enjoys art for what it is, this might be why I think like this, but when I see a hand drawn picture black and white and it looks like that picture you linked(Not the abstract) It just blows my mind, nothing abstract can or will ever do that to me, looking at a abstract is like going on solving a mystery that is boring as hell, because you have to figure out the leads you're already missing. Looking at a hand drawn picture like that, it just looks perfect, intact, complete. Abstract is something that's not intact, it just poses you in this mystery phase of "what does this really really mean?" It's stupid -.-
37266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12

JayVeeDees wrote:


Tell me how does it make it an full on abstract picture if he uses natural painting(Painting a face, a boat etc.) To make up for the random weird ass cubes around the picture?


I know next to nothing about art, so I don't plan to argue very much, but I think you might be slightly confused about the definition of "abstract." The word refers to anything based in "ideas." Believe it or not, many (some might say all) of a person's ideas come from things that exist in the real world. That means that a person's face, for example, can also exist in abstraction. A painting of a face does not make the painting "non-abstract' simply because faces exist in the real world. Much of abstract art takes real-world motifs, and brings them further into abstraction, often with an implied meaning resulting from the change from "real" to "abstract." Notice that in the painting that he posted, the face in the painting was not drawn with attention to realism, it was drawn with some alternative purpose. This is what makes it "abstract" as opposed to "realistic." At least, I would guess that this is the case -- I don't know art at all, so guessing is all I can do. At any rate, I was just trying to correct the notion that abstract art cannot contain any "real" concepts. I'm fairly sure this isn't the case.

Edit: To answer OP's question, Anime is both.
Edit 2:

About the graphic card and that, that's not true. The only real colors you can see on a monitor are white and black, everything else is a delusion created within the machine.


Not sure what you mean there. It's commonly accepted that the eye has only red, green, and blue receptors for color (although that's a simplification), which means that, no matter how it happens, what comes out of the screen must be some mix of those colors if you are to perceive those colors. I was also under the impression that TV and computer screens work through using only those colors (although I think I've heard that some contain yellow now as well). I'm not sure what you mean by delusion, unless you are claiming that all color is a delusion, in which case I've misunderstood you. If you explain to me how you think a computer monitor works, I think that might clear up everything.
25681 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Online
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12


Maybe I am, but what I'm suggesting how it's painted. It's different and not different it's like a cheap rip off the original work and then try mixing it up with colors of sort.
The picture's face might not want to resemble realism, but can't you say the same about anime? It's just a preferred work, I could paint a rock in a thousand different ways. Yeah you're probably true that abstract art wants to make you feel something while looking at it, feel anger, feel happiness, but that's what I don't get. Why do people try to make a picture that looks all weird into something a whole bigger than it already is? It's over thinking a problem-.- It's not that I can't figure out a Abstract picture, My teacher thought me that in my class very well, we even went to Literature museums <.< But then I was more fond of the picture where I saw Eminem caring a pistol than some Abstract picture that looked like a woman, like it was pixelated.
Like this

But in somewhat cube shaped form, I could see that it was somewhat a sad picture even if the woman had a smile on her face, like wearing a mask I guess. But that's only because I know the meaning behind what colors symbolize, take that away what is abstract? You can't feel anything looking at a picture unless you know what each thing means, people might say that I'm wrong here, because people know when something looks sad if it's in the right set in mood, but that's because we grew up with these colors like this<.<

I'm just rambling, I probably don't make sense, but that's somewhat my opinion, I might have worded it wrong, because I'm not great at making wise and interesting sentences <.<! But Oh Well, I tried.



All colors are only seen as our eyes interpret them, I'm not saying that they are delusional (fail of wording) But the screen is actually not sending us the color green or red when we see them, it's a combined of mixed signals from the computer generated to make it able for us to see, that's why there is a problem with machines trying to make paint(within the computer) without the helping hand of a human, it can not understand why we see these things (Talking like the machine is very clever xD But yeah) I'm not sure about this next thing that I'm going to say, but I'm sure I heard it somewhere, all colors are fake up until one point, I'm sure I heard it somewhere-.- But I might just be way out of my mind here, sorry for that convenient, I'll give you that one.
37266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12

JayVeeDees wrote:

You can't feel anything looking at a picture unless you know what each thing means


I feel like this sentence probably covers what you're trying to say, so I'll respond to this in particular. I agree fully with the sentence, but I don't see why this makes abstract art any different from realistic art. If you react to a picture of Eminem holding a pistol, you probably wouldn't react if you didn't know who Eminem was, or what a pistol is. If your wife tells you she wants a divorce, you can't feel anything unless you know what divorce is. If you've gotten into the habit of thinking of yellow as a happy color, then you'll probably react accordingly upon seeing a yellow painting. I think that abstract art probably means more than just attributing colors to feelings, but like I said, I have no experience -- these are just guesses. The point is, there is almost always a prerequisite to feeling something that involves complex or even simple ideas. It's difficult to come up with circumstances where you can simply deduce meaning from something without knowing anything about that thing. Deriving meaning takes some sort of knowledge about the thing, and I think perhaps your problem might be that abstract art uses knowledge that the common person doesn't usually have.

Yes, there's nothing intrinsically "happy" about the color yellow. However, just as someone that watches a lot of Star Wars might think "Skywalker" when meeting someone named Luke, someone that studies Art might start to think "Happiness" when they see the color yellow. In any field, there is an implied level of comprehension when you communicate things. If two scientists talk to each other, they might use words that are only understood by other scientists of the same field -- I have a feeling abstract art is probably pretty similar. Artists might use different themes that are only understood by people that know art well. You can't understand it unless you know what the things represent, but the artist is only trying to communicate things to people that know what they represent. Anyway, like I said though, I could be completely wrong.

As for the computer monitor thing, you might want to read up on what color and light actually are. I won't say you're right or wrong on your views, but I think our ideas about what color is are probably different, so I'll just drop this part -- it's not that important.
Quarlo 
20367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
It's an artform that is entertaining and an entertaining artform.

I always tell people that the most dynamic stories are being told in anime these days.
22231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 12/17/12

bhl88 wrote:

Anime is art. Cartoons are simple entertainment. *forgets the previous episode* What was I saying again? Oh right, anime is art.


What he said.


AnimeForDummies wrote:

Both. I consider anything that is drawn art. Animation in general ( including cartoons) is to entertain us.


32 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
Both.
Posted 12/17/12
i think its both!
432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
Personally, I don't understand the reasoning behind the argument that anime is purely entertainment... I won't even get into the whole philosophical question of how do you define "art" and how different people perceive "art". But if you think about it, drawings, paintings, music, story-telling, even perhaps acting; these are all things that are commonly considered as "art" by society. Put them all together and you get anime! And you're telling me that it's purely entertainment?!

In most instances, anime is hand-drawn - imagine all the time and effort that goes into creating just one frame (let alone an entire episode!) with all the characters, their clothes, the backgrounds, etc... It takes an incredible amount of skill to create anime, especially when you factor in the music that had to be composed for the series and the story line that had to be developed.

It's most definitely art, as well as entertainment. The purpose of anime is to tell a story that will captivate and carry along its audience, and for that it has to be both.
33482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
Both.

Extremely general definition of "art" would be anything made by humans. Anime is made by humans. Ergo, it is art.
43757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 12/17/12

JayVeeDees wrote:
I'm not neglecting that colors/cubes symbolize anything, it's just that it's stupid to be a part of art. I personally am not much a person that enjoys art for what it is, this might be why I think like this, but when I see a hand drawn picture black and white and it looks like that picture you linked(Not the abstract) It just blows my mind, nothing abstract can or will ever do that to me, looking at a abstract is like going on solving a mystery that is boring as hell, because you have to figure out the leads you're already missing. Looking at a hand drawn picture like that, it just looks perfect, intact, complete. Abstract is something that's not intact, it just poses you in this mystery phase of "what does this really really mean?" It's stupid -.-


I don't think you should try to figure out the meaning... (unless you're doing a school assignment or professional criticism).
It's more about how you feel/react to the artwork.

When I look at the abstract work you linked, I get a sensation that I couldn't get from observing real life paintings.The abstract work is more bold, whereas real life painting uses soft and realistic colours.

Even though I favour realism, I don't think it's better than abstract or vice versa, I just think they're two different categories of art, both require skills, talent and creativity to achieve. Of course there are going to be the best and worst works for each category.

Just like in animes, some are artistically masterful while others are just recycled stories made purely for entertainment purposes.


I also think theYchromosome made some good points about the meaning of "abstract".


This is a painting of a nude person descending a stairway... but it's been made into something really abstract that it doesn't represent reality anymore.

25681 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Tórshavn
Online
Posted 12/17/12 , edited 12/17/12




Yeah you two are probably right, I'll drop my argument, I mean I'm going against years of dedication on this one xD!
I think you're maybe right about the part about trying to make one of the two the "better one" of the two. But rather just don't try compare one and another, just to try to put it into another genre(category) <.< *Totally giving up at this point* xD That said, I still have my doubts about Abstract as a whole:p But you two made me realize that, the one thing that could have gotten me on with the fight, was nowhere to be found (I search my facts before I post lol :P) But O well, the white flag for me.. "huhu, what does the color white mean?" ;P

Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 12/17/12
Abstract art is so easy to make.
36719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Somewhere i Belong
Offline
Posted 12/18/12
Both.

it is to appeal people.
25599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/18/12
Anime to me is for Entertainment as most anime artwork is good or better,Sometimes just fair. But I have given an anime a plus if the artwork is excellent.I DO APPRECIATE the hard and painstaking work that goes into drawing anime. BTW Wouldnt be more fair to say the artwork begins with the Manga usually.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.