First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Are there many anime characters of african decent or Caucasian?
Posted 12/22/12
I think people seem to forget that "Caucasian" dos not mean "white"; "white" is a slang term. A Caucasian person is a person who has Caucasian FEATURES.

Aka: Europeans (Germans, Brits, Polish, etc.) are Caucasian. But so are Indians (India), Middle-Eastern people, etc. You do not judge on skin color, but on facial features.

Not all Europeans have light hair or light eyes; in fact, more than half have dark hair and dark eyes. Not all Middle-Eastern or Indian people have brown skin or dark hair and eyes. They range from dark, to brown to very fair, with different colored hair and different colored eyes.

But hey - I'm just saying this if you want to get technical. At the end of the day, we're all human beings.
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12


....Okay your post is totally confusing, so I'm going to answer most of your post as I can. You are totally rude, Naruto is set in alternate world and this culture alludes to Japanese culture. Look at Avatar, has ton of Asian culture in it, and then you say because...Aang is maybe white and bald he is white. No, he is Asian. But race doesn't really exist in anime in general. Just because you have blond hair, and blue eyes doesn't mean your white. You can be French, you can Russian, you can even be from China but have more white features.

How is calling Naruto not white, subconsciously racist? Calling him Asian is common sense. He's asian. It's more of Japanese thing, they love foreigners. They model most of their characters after America...not be offensive or anything, but they kind of admire/ love Americans, Europeans, as white looks and blue eyes tend to be favored in Japan in anime, and tends to go back...like foot binding. Did some research on that, it was quoted from an old journal that it was favored to have small feet like Europenas apparently and fair skin.

If you want to be well...not actually reading the series and just throwing out races ( not even truly knowing what culture it came from..) then Naruto would be classified white if you hadn't read the series, didn't know where it came from, or haven't really watched or seen some of anime. Like Honey and Clover, half the girls are blond and have white skin but they are Asian.

But in truth, Naruto isn't anything. He is a Kohonaian or Leaf citizen and is truly not any race.
22131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / In The Meawdow of...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

magicuser360 wrote:


ShiverGirl wrote:

Wait, shouldn't you paste this in the Anime forum? Since this is about anime..right?

But anyways...I don't there is a lot. I don't care if the lead is black, or think there should be. Bee from Naruto seems Black, it just seems to be character design, Like Tyki from D.Gray Man, it's there to be...there...color is not really for diversity, but character design. There almost if no such thing as skin color in anime but the difference of power in race mostly superpowers...

Caucasian in some animes are funny. They are usually blond, snobby, curse and are very blunt and usually have blue eyes. It's really weird how the Japanese view most people from America in Anime world and it's weird and odd.... \

Why bring race and color into anime? It's just stupid. The Japanese don't see it like that, so why should we? Most don't usually bring it up unless to kinda mock or kinda make fun of it. Other than that....nothing.


You don't know much about Japan, or racism in Japan do you?



Okay, wrong thing to say. They do, but they don't really outright say it. I have studied Japan and got somewhat of an idea and the racism in there and I wanted to work over there until I knew I probably wouldn't be welcomed. I'm talking in terms of anime not real life. But even in anime Japanese they seem to allude to it...but yeah I'm still studying Japan but I've covered most of their history and moving near modern times. Though in anime, skin color doesn't actually seem to be talked about unless contributing to the plot...
6457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M / in the underworld...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
everyone has good answers and view points
6610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
''of african decent''.....really? People are not as offended of being called black as people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU

they gave a huge blackguy a whiteguys voice*facepalm*

anyway, tengoutenge and SAO had main blackguy.
7759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
Anime Characters are not white not Asian! Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lInGm_Fdz_0
13894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 12/22/12 , edited 12/22/12
I actually once started a list of characters with apparently "darker skin" (not necessarily meant to be African, because sometimes it's hard to tell) because some people had been asking around for darker skinned characters to cosplay.


22789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NY
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

TheCoolAlchemist wrote:

I actually once started a list of characters with apparently "darker skin" (not necessarily meant to be African, because sometimes it's hard to tell) because some people had been asking around for darker skinned characters to cosplay.




You can add Simon** , the russian sushi slinger from Durarara to that list. And theres also the bartender/weapon dealer from SAO. cant remember his name
2274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / United Kingdom /...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
Jonathan
980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/23/12 , edited 12/23/12
Kuzan (Aokiji) - One Piece



43765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 12/23/12 , edited 12/23/12
Have you ever heard of "Kuroshitsuji"?

The main character, Ciel Phantomhive, is English... I think.



Or the anime, "Monster"?

Nina and her brother are from Germany? Not sure, watched it too long ago.
25607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/23/12 , edited 12/23/12

Rakuin wrote:

Dutch from Black Lagoon.





Excellent Choice.Just watched two weeks ago.

Ill add some more

Afro Samurai: Resurrection AFRO



My Bride is a Mermaid MASA***



Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Garterbelt***




***Christopher Sabat a white voice actor whose resume is a who's who's does a great job of not only doing the black voices but nails it with passion.
25607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/23/12

YukinoMiyazawa wrote:

Michiko to Hatchin is a good anime with black characters. I haven't seen it but it's set in Brazil and most of the characters are Black/Afro-Brazilian. Michiko Malandro is the main character and she's Afro-Brailizan.



There's also Atsuko Jackson and other characters.


If you've watched Cowboy Bebop or Eureka 7 (and even Durarara!! had a black character--Simon) there's also some black side characters, though in "traditional" anime, black characters are usually uncommon, and are especially rare as main characters/protagonists. Most are either ambiguously brown or just tan (like Momo Adachi in Peach Girl or the Ganguro Trio that shows up occasionally). It's Japan after all. I don't expect a country with the majority of the very small percent of foreigners they have in their country (which are mainly limited to Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Filipino) to portray black or sometimes even white characters. Japan is a homogeneous country, which means the far, far majority of its people are Japanese. Personally, I think countries like the U.S., Canada, etc. should work harder to portray muti-racial and multi-ethnic groups, because it's a sad world if homogeneous places like Japan have more "people of color" in their cartoons and animations than those places.


Watching Michko and Hatchin as episodes come out.And yes it is a good anime and doesnt matter what race they are it is good.
38670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 12/23/12
Claudia Grant

25607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 12/23/12
Blassreiter set in Germany. Here's Amanda



Strike Witches many countries



Evangelion Asuka American German Japenese




First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.