First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why does this happen? -__-
Posted 12/22/12
In case you guys haven't heard, but recently there was a school shooting that happened in Connecticut. Seriously, what is going on in this generation...

Here is a link if you don't know:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/17/wrd-us-sandy-hook-newtown-connecticut-victims.html

I think that the only people who should really be allowed to have guns should be the people whose job it is to protect us, like police, military etc. Even with them, though, there have been cases of abuse of their guns.

On the other hand, our society does tend to push mentally ill people to the side. Had this guy received treatment and therapy, I don't think he would have gone to the elementary school and shot everybody.
I remember the shooting last summer in Colorado, and I thought it was finally a wake up call about gun laws in the U.S. (And I don't even live there and I give a shit.) Everyone started talking about it and how we need to change it but then everyone forgot about it like 2 weeks later.

AND right after the Connecticut incident, 22 preschoolers got stabbed in China. -__- I'm really annoyed and frustrated by the fact that we don't seem to learn that something in society needs to be improved, whether it has be our treatment of the mentally ill, gun laws, etc.

Link China Incident:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/15/china-stabbing-school.html

I don't even know what to say anymore. My mind is so blank... Anyways, what are your opinions?

24877 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
choas factor for the end of the world dumb buts
when they world is gonna end or said to be ending makes people do lots of dumb things
49909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
The world is, has been and always will be full of the mentally unstable.

Can't live with them, can't have selective screening during child birth.
Posted 12/22/12
Its what is called the human condition, man's inhumanity to man blah blah whatever whatever yaddi yaddi yaddah.

I guess the whole point is it is what it is....unfortunately.
22094 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
You can not ban guns in this country. There are people who need their guns to protect their property from predators and people who need their guns to hunt, not to mention the fact that it's protected by the constitution. I'm sorry if you don't like guns but they are a part of US society and are here to stay. If you don't live here then please don't tell us how to live because you clearly don't understand our culture. The indecent is a mental health problem(like the majority of these shooting), not a gun control problem.

You don't see people calling for the complete banning of cars just because some people are idiots, do you?
270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

reptile7383 wrote:

You can not ban guns in this country. There are people who need their guns to protect their property from predators and people who need their guns to hunt, not to mention the fact that it's protected by the constitution. I'm sorry if you don't like guns but they are a part of US society and are here to stay. If you don't live here then please don't tell us how to live because you clearly don't understand our culture. The indecent is a mental health problem(like the majority of these shooting), not a gun control problem.

You don't see people calling for the complete banning of cars just because some people are idiots, do you?


So, Reptile, are you saying we can do nothing? I don't think you can compare cars to guns. I mean, look at the purpose of cars and the purpose of guns. How can you compare the two?
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

reptile7383 wrote:

You can not ban guns in this country. There are people who need their guns to protect their property from predators and people who need their guns to hunt, not to mention the fact that it's protected by the constitution. I'm sorry if you don't like guns but they are a part of US society and are here to stay. If you don't live here then please don't tell us how to live because you clearly don't understand our culture. The indecent is a mental health problem(like the majority of these shooting), not a gun control problem.

You don't see people calling for the complete banning of cars just because some people are idiots, do you?


So I guess all americans should shut up about how women are treated in saudi arabia right?


75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12

reptile7383 wrote:

You can not ban guns in this country. There are people who need their guns to protect their property from predators and people who need their guns to hunt, not to mention the fact that it's protected by the constitution. I'm sorry if you don't like guns but they are a part of US society and are here to stay. If you don't live here then please don't tell us how to live because you clearly don't understand our culture. The indecent is a mental health problem(like the majority of these shooting), not a gun control problem.

You don't see people calling for the complete banning of cars just because some people are idiots, do you?


On the other hand all vehicles are registered. Some vehicles require special licenses to drive others require specific items (running gear, headlights rear view apparatus) to be allowed on the highway and there are age limits, speed limits and other behaviours like Drinking and driving that can cause an individual to lose their license

Some vehicles are not 'street legal' and must be towed/trailered to the private lots and racetracks where they ARE legal.

Any attempt to put some of these restrictions on firearms in your country is treated as a 'ban' and fought tooth an nail.

75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 12/22/12 , edited 12/22/12

morgiestrawberryx3 wrote:


reptile7383 wrote:

You can not ban guns in this country. There are people who need their guns to protect their property from predators and people who need their guns to hunt, not to mention the fact that it's protected by the constitution. I'm sorry if you don't like guns but they are a part of US society and are here to stay. If you don't live here then please don't tell us how to live because you clearly don't understand our culture. The indecent is a mental health problem(like the majority of these shooting), not a gun control problem.

You don't see people calling for the complete banning of cars just because some people are idiots, do you?


So, Reptile, are you saying we can do nothing? I don't think you can compare cars to guns. I mean, look at the purpose of cars and the purpose of guns. How can you compare the two?


What is the purpose of guns? please tell me.

If you say: "to shoot people" you are as wrong as any frothing at the mouth NRA diehard. just the other way.

12010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
I think the main point being missed is that everything made nowadays is just a tool. It's up to the person using the tool to decide what to do with it. Baseball bats are technically tools to play a game, but it can still be used as a weapon. You really don't need a gun or knife to kill someone. Nearly anything you pick up can be used for something not intended for its' initial purpose. Don't start blaming the guns, or the knives. Blame the people that use them.
8554 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Somewhere,USA
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
I doubt banning guns is gonna happen. And if it does happen it wont help anything. Even if guns are banned there's still gonna crazy people out there. Drugs are illegal and people still find a way to get them. Its sad that things like this is happening but banning guns isn't gonna do anything
4980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 12/22/12 , edited 12/22/12
I don't think it's a generational thing. The world has always been shit. It's probably better to be alive now than any other period in history now that we have the idea of rights, medical care etc. That's why I get pissed off at people who wax lyrical about the 1950's as thought it was some sort of golden age. Sure, maybe if you were a white man in the US but for everyone else it was shite.

The only reason it seems worse is because of 24-hour media so you know about terrible stuff almost instantly from anywhere in the world. There was actually another shooting in the US today at a church.

America can't ban guns now because it's gone past the point of no return. You'll mourn and talk about regulation like you did during the Colorado shooting's but I don't think anything will (or can) be done.

Mental health and it's treatment must have something to do with but I'm not in America or China so I can't comment. I do know that in Ireland it's very stigmatised and services receive little funding. We don't have spree killings as guns aren't available but we do have a high suicide rate.



31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
There is another thread about the shooting and another on the guns, but I will answer..(I've come this far in posting this post xD)

Why I think this is happening in this generation is because of the Media, they make these killers into anti-hero's, ever thought about why you don't hear much about the victims and instead hear every little detail about the killer? his clothes, his intentions, his guns, that should stop, that's the only reason I see this even happening.

About the guns, I'm not sure, actually :L When we talk about right's and beliefs against facts, it's hard to decide, usually I would go with facts, but damn, I want to have a gun at home, just to be safe-.-
68879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
More people die in car accidents than shootings every year. So you're right. You can't compare cars to guns. Cars are far more deadly. As far what the purpose of a gun is, that depends entirely on the person holding. I own a gun and you know what its purpose is? To defend my home and protect my family.

To claim that banning guns would prevent tragedies is absurd and pure fantasy. Timothy Mcveigh killed 168 people and injured over 800. Did he use guns? None required. On September 11th, 2001 the United States states experienced the worst tragedy in its history and nearly 3,000 people lost their lives. Did they use guns? None required.

People with the intent to kill are going to do so. Period. If you think a murderous psychopath is going to change his mind about mass murder because we inconvenienced him slightly by making buy guns illegally, you're delusional. If we want to prevent further attacks, we need to focus on improving mental health care and start being more diligent in spotting the warning signs of mentally unstable people.
4369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 12/22/12
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.