First  Prev  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  Next  Last
What do other countries think about americans in general.
43660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 1/2/13


When was I talking about any of that? Nobody said we're perfect. We know our faults, we don't need kids like you telling us about them. We live here, we know about all of that. Why not take all your effort into pointing out our flaws and put it into doing something about your own country's issues?

We were talking about what you're now backing away from and denying.

If you want to pretend you never gave a harsh stereotype about Americans, then I'll just leave you in your little dream world because apparently Americans aren't the only ones " like speaking to a wall." Talk about your "delusional tendencies."

Which, if it isn't a band name(delusional tendencies), it should be.
52758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 1/2/13
Having been around the world to some really, really shitty places, America has it pretty damn good. Our melting pot of races and cultures does have its issues (Oh, boy does it). But Europe has it's issues, Asia has it's issues (Hi China!), hell the Aussies have their issues. I honestly feel things are SLOWLY getting better. It's still going to take awhile for the Cold-War era generation of Americans to pass on before I think real equality will set in.

unrelated note: Whoever said something about the Chinese military destroying the American military, you are high.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/2/13 , edited 1/2/13
As second generation Chinese American, my family overseas generally don't have a kindly view of Americans, whom they see as arrogant, self-assured, the whole 'Ugly American' get up.

And, as an American, there is always a feeling of cultural inferiority to the rest of the world, in that America's culture is either derivative from the other cultures of Europe and Asia, or else, we have eliminated any aboriginal culture, or else commoditise it, just like everything else in America. There is a shame in knowing that we are a consumer culture, that we base our self worth on the ability to purchase items.

Americans like to view ourselves as the new people around, as hard working, straight talking, manly sort of people, and, in films, certainly comedy, action, etc. The blue collar American is usually fighting against this effeminate European, or Rich, Euro-fied American, villain, sometime an object of ridicule, sometime a totally sinister figure. It is evident, however, that we actually borrowed the image of the 'Frank, Manly American' from Britain, who tend to view themselves as earthly, uncultured, but virile people, as opposed to the French effeminacy, who we replace with a generic 'Old world, Blue blood snob'.

As this is so, it seems that we like to pretend that we are sturdy, American, manly individualist (as, hence, probably born the image of Americans are overly concern with hyper-masculinity), who don't care what the rest of the world think, but we are always mindful about our own feeling of being inferior to the rest of the world culturally, because our country and our civilisation is too 'new', and so, always sensitive to how they think about us.
58368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 1/2/13

BearSol wrote:
If you want to pretend you never gave a harsh stereotype about Americans, then I'll just leave you in your little dream world because apparently Americans aren't the only ones " like speaking to a wall." Talk about your "delusional tendencies."

Which, if it isn't a band name(delusional tendencies), it should be.


Okay, I wanted to write a long post, working my way through your discussion/verbal fight, and then finally conclude that while he was stereotyping, he was not being any more of a bigot than you. He didn't try to hide the fact that he stereotyped, he actually made it clear. He is answering the OP's question and he even goes out of his way to explain to you why he feels the way he does, and yet you don't see it.

He really is speaking to a wall. Calm down dude and be less defensive. You don't have to attack him personally to get your point across. Just pointing out that he is stereotyping like crazy would be enough to completely negate the value of his stereotyping, without you needing to resort to name-calling.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/2/13

JoAnime3853 wrote:


mel1844 wrote:

I'm Australian, and I can tell you the majority of us think America is the best place in the world.

However, we also believe that it's extremely dangerous and full of lunatics.


ummmm yes to the full of lunatics (the violent ones are more on the east coast I've noticed...a lot of crazies though) But it's probably no more dangerous here than anywhere else. The world is a dangerous place.


Well I have no doubt that most countries won't differ in danger.

But if you look at the major difference between America and Australia, it's that one legalises guns and the other does not. It's also illegal to carry a knife on you in Australia, while I believe in America it is allowed.

So based on that, I'd think Australia is much safer than America.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/3/13 , edited 1/3/13

BearSol wrote:



When was I talking about any of that? Nobody said we're perfect. We know our faults, we don't need kids like you telling us about them. We live here, we know about all of that. Why not take all your effort into pointing out our flaws and put it into doing something about your own country's issues?

We were talking about what you're now backing away from and denying.

If you want to pretend you never gave a harsh stereotype about Americans, then I'll just leave you in your little dream world because apparently Americans aren't the only ones " like speaking to a wall." Talk about your "delusional tendencies."

Which, if it isn't a band name(delusional tendencies), it should be.


Dude, give it up. seriously If your goal is defending the honour of your country and countrymen, you're not helping.

Your entire thesis is that a person who responded to a request for an opinion has resorted to name calling, and that they should shut up because they aren't American.

You might as well have just called him a "Fag" or started speaking in '133t'. Either way, resorting to personal attacks or telling someone to 'just shut up' instead of addressing their points, well... In a war of words, it just proves that you showed up with your guns unloaded.


24104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Mid-West, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
huh, really they hate us.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/3/13

Kirito-black05 wrote:

huh, really they hate us.


Some do, some don't. and even the ones that like either the nation or it's people are never going to be happy with you about everything all the time. I think that's an unreasonable expectation, don't you?


24104 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Mid-West, USA
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
yes i agree sort of like hostle movie type stuff lol
Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
Ah, poor, Americans; the most brainwashed people in the whole world or even the Universe.
43660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 1/3/13

backfirejr wrote:


BearSol wrote:
If you want to pretend you never gave a harsh stereotype about Americans, then I'll just leave you in your little dream world because apparently Americans aren't the only ones " like speaking to a wall." Talk about your "delusional tendencies."

Which, if it isn't a band name(delusional tendencies), it should be.


Okay, I wanted to write a long post, working my way through your discussion/verbal fight, and then finally conclude that while he was stereotyping, he was not being any more of a bigot than you. He didn't try to hide the fact that he stereotyped, he actually made it clear. He is answering the OP's question and he even goes out of his way to explain to you why he feels the way he does, and yet you don't see it.

He really is speaking to a wall. Calm down dude and be less defensive. You don't have to attack him personally to get your point across. Just pointing out that he is stereotyping like crazy would be enough to completely negate the value of his stereotyping, without you needing to resort to name-calling.


I never denied anything. I was trying to have a have a point-counter-point discussion, while he obviously kept changing the subject. Perhaps you should reconsider who it was that was like talking to a wall. Perhaps you should calm down and stop trying to make things worse.

PS You do a great job of writing plenty while saying little.

43660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 1/3/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


BearSol wrote:



When was I talking about any of that? Nobody said we're perfect. We know our faults, we don't need kids like you telling us about them. We live here, we know about all of that. Why not take all your effort into pointing out our flaws and put it into doing something about your own country's issues?

We were talking about what you're now backing away from and denying.

If you want to pretend you never gave a harsh stereotype about Americans, then I'll just leave you in your little dream world because apparently Americans aren't the only ones " like speaking to a wall." Talk about your "delusional tendencies."

Which, if it isn't a band name(delusional tendencies), it should be.


Dude, give it up. seriously If your goal is defending the honour of your country and countrymen, you're not helping.

Your entire thesis is that a person who responded to a request for an opinion has resorted to name calling, and that they should shut up because they aren't American.

You might as well have just called him a "Fag" or started speaking in '133t'. Either way, resorting to personal attacks or telling someone to 'just shut up' instead of addressing their points, well... In a war of words, it just proves that you showed up with your guns unloaded.




Not defending our country at all. I was simply pointing out to him things he seemed oblivious about. Perhaps you missed the whole point of what I was saying, much like our friend.

And not addressing the points? Scroll up and take another look, that's all I was doing. I wasn't the one who kept trying to change the subject by bringing up facts that had nothing to do with what I or he was previously talking about in our little "tiff". But thanks for trying to smooth things down, instead of charging in and making stuff up, re-kindling a fire that was dying out.

Banned
31571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/3/13 , edited 1/3/13
I can see that there is a really brainwashed person in here. That's too bad.

Patriotism has got to be one of the dumbest things ever created by the human mind.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 1/3/13 , edited 1/3/13

-Vega- wrote:

I can see that there is a really brainwashed person in here. That's too bad.

Patriotism has got to be one of the dumbest things ever created by the human mind.



Quintus Horatius Flaccus wrote
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur uirum
nec parcit inbellis iuuentae
poplitibus timidoue tergo.


22178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / United States of...
Online
Posted 1/3/13
They like American Money
First  Prev  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.