First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Is Btooom that generic?
18188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
btooom is amazing.. Heres hoping to them making more manga chapters faster and making their blu ray sales....

Best survival anime i've seen in a long ass time.... Cage of eden would be a amazing survival anime been dying for that shit
8555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Bronx New York
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
U owend with ur post,u are correct in every single way.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
There is really nothing left that is truly original. Every theme, concept, settings, etc., has been done to death.

Having said that, the only important thing about any kind of entertainment to me is "Was I entertained?" If the answer is "yes", then that's all that matters. Even if I've seen the same kind of series a hundred times, if it brings out something even slightly different (or even if it does not) and I find it enjoyable, it really doesn't matter what reviewers, critics or other people say.

The only important criteria is I enjoyed it.
63879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Orlando
Online
Posted 1/3/13

tehstud wrote:



IMO, I see a few discrepancies with your post. I'll try to be brief.

1) One, how can you credit SAO for such a superficial relationship which was consecrated over a fucking mayonnaise sandwich. Two, how tactless of you to describe their relationship so credulously. Please give mind to the situation they're in and history.

2)Himiko had good reason to be distant and cold with Sakamoto given her past and the situation, but it's not her nature. IMO, that shouldn't hold.

3)One, Again, this isn't some fanfic like SAO where the MCs are Mary Sues. I agree with you that hasn't fully accepted that he MUST kill to live, but rather defending himself/company. I doubt most people would be able to readily accept that situation. Two, I think Sakamoto is rather brave and strong. He's able to ''nut up'' and act when the situation is dire instead of waiting for miracles or talking incessantly.

4) LOL, obviously ratings mean everything.


1)Their relationship was not consecrated over a mayonnaise sandwich. That would imply that Asuna gave Kirito a sandwich, at which point Kirito instantly fell in love and decided she would be his wife. Their bond was forged over time through the actions and good intentions of one another. You know, like actual relationships. And what? I described their relationship credulously? What exactly did I believe too easily? It's an anime. What you see is what you get. I get that kids your age like using big to words to seem more intelligent, but if you don't know what they actually mean, it has the opposite effect.

2)A tsundere is a girl who starts off cold and warms up later. Whether it's in her nature or she had bad experiences is irrelevant. The end result is the same.

3)Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Which was in response to the person who claimed that Ryota instantly became a bad ass once he assessed the situation. Most people will bite, scratch, and kick when backed in to a corner with no other options. Self preservation is a basic human instinct. Which is exactly why he doesn't formulate strategies and just wings it when he has to through most of the series.

4)Don't be ignorant. I never claimed ratings meant everything. Don't put words in my mouth. However, ratings do indicate how many people are watching a series. And more people watching generally means that show is pretty good. And given the astounding ratings of SAO, that's saying something.
14165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
I literally just finished watching this. I watched it all at once and now it's 4am here xD

Since I havent really seen any other survival animes, but seen films like 'Battle Royale', I must say I really enjoyed it. What most appealed to me was the art and animation, I thought it was beautiful. Especially in the first couple of episodes.

Fingers crossed for a Season 2!
18188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/13 , edited 1/3/13
yea the art style and animation is top notch for sure
23483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/3/13 , edited 1/3/13

swordstyle wrote:

1)Their relationship was not consecrated over a mayonnaise sandwich. That would imply that Asuna gave Kirito a sandwich, at which point Kirito instantly fell in love and decided she would be his wife. Their bond was forged over time through the actions and good intentions of one another. You know, like actual relationships. And what? I described their relationship credulously? What exactly did I believe too easily? It's an anime. What you see is what you get. I get that kids your age like using big to words to seem more intelligent, but if you don't know what they actually mean, it has the opposite effect.

2)A tsundere is a girl who starts off cold and warms up later. Whether it's in her nature or she had bad experiences is irrelevant. The end result is the same.

3)Yeah, that's exactly what I said. Which was in response to the person who claimed that Ryota instantly became a bad ass once he assessed the situation. Most people will bite, scratch, and kick when backed in to a corner with no other options. Self preservation is a basic human instinct. Which is exactly why he doesn't formulate strategies and just wings it when he has to through most of the series.

4)Don't be ignorant. I never claimed ratings meant everything. Don't put words in my mouth. However, ratings do indicate how many people are watching a series. And more people watching generally means that show is pretty good. And given the astounding ratings of SAO, that's saying something.


1) Obviously I was making a joke about how superficial their relationship is, thought someone as clever as you would get it. You also misunderstand the second part of that quote, why did I say credulously? Your words: "The whole romance without touching thing is a played out, and simply stupid theme present in about 95% of the hundreds upon hundreds of anime I have seen over the past 25 years. Every time we see romance in an anime it goes like this:" Heres more: "What you see is what you get." Credulous - having or showing too great a readiness to believe things. Clearly your not credulous, I'm just trying to use big words to look intelligent.

2) Well if you want to use the most general definition, sure, she's a tsundere. But most people would argue that tsundere is a personality trait where someone ACTS cold and hostile but underneath really cares and are usually fawning. A contradiction between actions and feelings. Himiko truly believed that men were evil and not to be trusted, so IMO she wouldn't be considered a tsundere.

3) I think you're being harsh and nitpicking at his post which is why I responded. When he said ''when he (Sakamoto) realizes he has to kill to survive'' and "glad he isn't a sissy'', you ridicule him. Nowhere in his post did he say, ''Sakamoto ACCEPTS that he must kill to survive'' but you accuse him of such. I agree with him because when the situation is dire, he does ''grow a pair'' and kill, when necessary, instead of run. And are you trying to undermine my statement by saying Sakamoto fought because it's basic human instinct and most people would have done the same? As if. Fight or flight situations, most people choose flight.

4) "Don't be ignorant." "Don't put words in my mouth." You should heed your own advice. I wasn't saying that you believe ratings = quality. I just found thought it was funny that you added that in there, because if that were true than Naruto or Bleach would be Masterpieces. The only reason I didn't go into detail why SAO is so BAD, is because there's a laundry list of shit to write down, but someone so aptly did that on another thread so I will post in here for you if you're interested, ciao.



Posted 1/4/13

Waterst1 wrote:

There is really nothing left that is truly original. Every theme, concept, settings, etc., has been done to death.

Having said that, the only important thing about any kind of entertainment to me is "Was I entertained?" If the answer is "yes", then that's all that matters. Even if I've seen the same kind of series a hundred times, if it brings out something even slightly different (or even if it does not) and I find it enjoyable, it really doesn't matter what reviewers, critics or other people say.

The only important criteria is I enjoyed it.


It's like vanilla ice cream. You can use vanilla over and over and over, but change what you top it with, and any combination at that. This view gives a visualization of why I can enjoy something similar to something else. It's really only bad if you take vanilla and serve it calling it chocolate. We know vanilla is not chocolate. That's when you know something is a blatant ripoff.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/13

tehstud wrote:
The only reason I didn't go into detail why SAO is so BAD, is because there's a laundry list of shit to write down, but someone so aptly did that on another thread so I will post in here for you if you're interested, ciao.

SAO is certainly not original by any means but it is certainly not BAD. The only reason it got nit-picked to death is because it is such a successful and popular series. IMO, both BTOOOM and SAO are very good series. We can enjoy them for what they are, or nit-picked both of them to death.

Truly, I don't understand the mentality of focusing on highly popular series to tear them apart. Don't like them, just move on and find something we like, instead of showing hate just because others like them.
23483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13

Waterst1 wrote:


tehstud wrote:
The only reason I didn't go into detail why SAO is so BAD, is because there's a laundry list of shit to write down, but someone so aptly did that on another thread so I will post in here for you if you're interested, ciao.

SAO is certainly not original by any means but it is certainly not BAD. The only reason it got nit-picked to death is because it is such a successful and popular series. IMO, both BTOOOM and SAO are very good series. We can enjoy them for what they are, or nit-picked both of them to death.

Truly, I don't understand the mentality of focusing on highly popular series to tear them apart. Don't like them, just move on and find something we like, instead of showing hate just because others like them.


I don't go around bashing popular shows, so you're post is irrelevant. Secondly, how can you say it's getting nit-picked to death? Nit-picking is finding minute faults to criticize. Please read the list that I posted under the spoiler and see if those are just meaningless faults founded by some hater. And I think most people with good taste in anime would agree that SAO was a piece of overhyped garbage that is only popular because it panders to every fetish out there. I couldn't even enjoy the series past the first few episodes, but I digress. Since SAO is SO good, I'm sure you could give valid reasons as to why it isn't BAD instead of throwing around accusations.

Edit: Please note that I'm not the one who brought SAO into the subject, merely responding to someone's opinion.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13

tehstud wrote:


I don't go around bashing popular shows, so you're post is irrelevant. Secondly, how can you say it's getting nit-picked to death? Nit-picking is finding minute faults to criticize. Please read the list that I posted under the spoiler and see if those are just meaningless faults founded by some hater. And I think most people with good taste in anime would agree that SAO was a piece of overhyped garbage that is only popular because it panders to every fetish out there. I couldn't even enjoy the series past the first few episodes, but I digress. Since SAO is SO good, I'm sure you could give valid reasons as to why it isn't BAD instead of throwing around accusations.

Edit: Please note that I'm not the one who brought SAO into the subject, merely responding to someone's opinion.

I quoted you since you quoted from a thread that was nit-picking the series. The only reason it need to justify that it's good, for me anyways, is that it entertained me.

Anytime anyone goes through the trouble of listing all the flaws of a series however minor, especially a very popular series, they're doing nothing more than nit-picking. It is irrelevant if the points are valid or not. Name me any series in the past decade or the past two decades, and I'm sure I can apply most of the same arguments towards any one of them with exactly those points listed by you or those from the other threads.

I won't claim and never would claim that SAO is the absolute best. It doesn't even come close to it and will never be 1 of my favorites. Regardless, comparing it to the countless anime series out there, I'd still deem it to be very good and 1 of the best from last year.

You are of course entitled to your opinions but name me 1 series from last year that you think was great and I'm sure I can nit-pick it to death as well.

And I think most people with good taste in anime would agree that SAO was a piece of overhyped garbage that is only popular because it panders to every fetish out there.

So you're implying that anyone who doesn't think it's over-hyped garbage has poor taste? I can just as easily come up with vague catch-all statement like that and regard those detractors as haven't poor tastes. But that would have been just as silly since everyone have their own tastes and preferences. Yours is no better than anyone else. It's just different. To say otherwise is just being arrogant and having a "I'm better than you because I like this and hate that" attitude.



18188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13
Some reasons SOA are good??? i'm on it

1-Good story
2-Good animation/art style
3-Good job on the musical score's, op's and ed's
4-Good mix of many genres
5-Instead of the typical build to the final showdown and climax, it almost ends itself halfway through or delivers the climax just to surprise you with its direction. I remeber thinking "fuck last episode next week", then bam, new intro, new story arc, new twists, new character introductions.

I read people saying they only liked the 1st couple episodes when me myself found the whole set up to the early episodes alil annoying and dry, its like ok every episode we're gonna have a new character arrive, thats just gonna be relevent for that one episode, then next episode theres lil to no character development from the characters hes meeting, and it felt like alot has happened or transpired that just wasnt portrayed in the show what so ever, like a lil time skips between episodes. Just kinda made it predictable to me ... I guess its diff for everyone but me personaly I thought it got really good when Asuna came back into the picture...

I heard the books been going on for years over in japan, they prolly decided to flesh out the parts they thought wanted to bring to the show in 25 eps... If it was more like 50 episodes it would probably been more character development and alil more of what people feel is lacking.. I dunno I didnt do any of the reading on the light novels so i cant say for sure but I thought it was a strong show that will be sadly missed with the lineup thats coming this winter...

Just my opionion tho, but Btooom, Accel World and SOA I thought were far from generic...
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/4/13
Personally, I think that Btoom! tried to get the same market that Accel World and SAO brought.

The only problem is that it's not as well written as the other two series. This is not me praising AW and SAO, but stating the fact that both anime series at least had a decent plotline/concept it followed. Btoom! tried to do the same.

Sorry, but when an anime deliberatly tries to be like another anime in hopes of getting its market, I call it Generic.
25071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/4/13
Maybe Domo shud just stay away from media altogether, dramas, soaps, thrillers, action they all have generic attributes.... Obviously!!!! As we have classified them as such so the lovely consumer can make a decision.

Or maybe you should enlighten yourself on what genres you like, what you are interested in and take it from there....

Lord of the Flies (kids on an island) was rather droll, but add a Battle Royale twist and yh im glued to the seat.

And another thing....when something is generic is it actually generic or are you just accustomed to how the sh*t goes down. How many times have you seen the bad guy go down in a fight? I'm sure most of us would expect round 2, or the 'lets get serious' DBZ attitude to rear its classic head.

Maybe its just time for you to diversify??....
63879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Orlando
Online
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13

tehstud wrote:
1)Clearly your not credulous, I'm just trying to use big words to look intelligent.

2) Well if you want to use the most general definition, sure, she's a tsundere. But most people would argue that tsundere is a personality trait where someone ACTS cold and hostile but underneath really cares and are usually fawning. A contradiction between actions and feelings. Himiko truly believed that men were evil and not to be trusted, so IMO she wouldn't be considered a tsundere.

3) I think you're being harsh and nitpicking at his post which is why I responded. When he said ''when he (Sakamoto) realizes he has to kill to survive'' and "glad he isn't a sissy'', you ridicule him. Nowhere in his post did he say, ''Sakamoto ACCEPTS that he must kill to survive'' but you accuse him of such. I agree with him because when the situation is dire, he does ''grow a pair'' and kill, when necessary, instead of run. And are you trying to undermine my statement by saying Sakamoto fought because it's basic human instinct and most people would have done the same? As if. Fight or flight situations, most people choose flight.

4) You should heed your own advice. I wasn't saying that you believe ratings = quality. I just found thought it was funny that you added that in there, because if that were true than Naruto or Bleach would be Masterpieces. The only reason I didn't go into detail why SAO is so BAD, is because there's a laundry list of shit to write down, but someone so aptly did that on another thread so I will post in here for you if you're interested, ciao.



1) Yeah, I see that. Even though you attempted sarcasm to make it seem like it wasn't actually true.

2) Whether or not you choose to accept the word "tsundere" the end result is something we see all the time. And something we see all the time, obviously isn't unique or special.

3) He never said the word "accepts" but he implied it. Which was clearly the point of his statement there. And in most fight or flight situations, most people choose flight because they have no means of defending themselves. A petite woman being attacked by a large man is obviously going to run away. Because there is nothing she can do. However, you give that same woman in that same scenario a can of pepper spray, and her reaction changes. Ryota is that woman, and bombs are his pepper spray.

4)I always practice what I preach. And while they may not be masterpieces, Naruto and Bleach are great series. (Naruto not as much lately) You disagree? Well based on their ratings, I'd say more people agree with me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However it annoys me when people post threads making bold claims like their opinion is the one true reality. As is the case with the kid who made this thread.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.