Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Is Btooom that generic?
19407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/4/13

Waterst1 wrote:

I quoted you since you quoted from a thread that was nit-picking the series. The only reason it need to justify that it's good, for me anyways, is that it entertained me.

Anytime anyone goes through the trouble of listing all the flaws of a series however minor, especially a very popular series, they're doing nothing more than nit-picking. It is irrelevant if the points are valid or not. Name me any series in the past decade or the past two decades, and I'm sure I can apply most of the same arguments towards any one of them with exactly those points listed by you or those from the other threads.

I won't claim and never would claim that SAO is the absolute best. It doesn't even come close to it and will never be 1 of my favorites. Regardless, comparing it to the countless anime series out there, I'd still deem it to be very good and 1 of the best from last year.

You are of course entitled to your opinions but name me 1 series from last year that you think was great and I'm sure I can nit-pick it to death as well.

And I think most people with good taste in anime would agree that SAO was a piece of overhyped garbage that is only popular because it panders to every fetish out there.

So you're implying that anyone who doesn't think it's over-hyped garbage has poor taste? I can just as easily come up with vague catch-all statement like that and regard those detractors as haven't poor tastes. But that would have been just as silly since everyone have their own tastes and preferences. Yours is no better than anyone else. It's just different. To say otherwise is just being arrogant and having a "I'm better than you because I like this and hate that" attitude.


"Anytime anyone goes through the trouble of listing all the flaws of a series however minor, especially a very popular series, they're doing nothing more than nit-picking. It is irrelevant if the points are valid or not."
I'm afraid you still don't understand the ACTUAL meaning of nit-picking. Because what you're saying is, anytime someone criticizes something, that the significance and relevance of the fault has no play and that they're just nit-picking. Let's just say that's your interpretation. Guess in your mind, nit-picking and criticizing is one and the same.

"Name me any series in the past decade or the past two decades, and I'm sure I can apply most of the same arguments towards any one of them with exactly those points listed by you or those from the other threads."
Challenge Accepted. Currently, my favorite anime is Hunter x Hunter (2011), which is conveniently streaming on CR.


And I think most people with good taste in anime would agree that SAO was a piece of overhyped garbage that is only popular because it panders to every fetish out there.

"So you're implying that anyone who doesn't think it's over-hyped garbage has poor taste? I can just as easily come up with vague catch-all statement like that and regard those detractors as haven't poor tastes. But that would have been just as silly since everyone have their own tastes and preferences. Yours is no better than anyone else. It's just different. To say otherwise is just being arrogant and having a "I'm better than you because I like this and hate that" attitude." Okay, let me rephrase, I don't want to offend the hoi polloi. Anyone who has had... overexposure? to good anime would probably consider it over-hyped and mediocre, at best. Now please, don't misunderstand me, I don't care what people say and don't let it sway my opinion. I couldn't care less if everyone hated it or loved it. Honestly, I had high expectations for this anime after the first episode, but it was just shi-... mediocre onward.
19407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13

swordstyle wrote:

1) Yeah, I see that. Even though you attempted sarcasm to make it seem like it wasn't actually true.

2) Whether or not you choose to accept the word "tsundere" the end result is something we see all the time. And something we see all the time, obviously isn't unique or special.

3) He never said the word "accepts" but he implied it. Which was clearly the point of his statement there. And in most fight or flight situations, most people choose flight because they have no means of defending themselves. A petite woman being attacked by a large man is obviously going to run away. Because there is nothing she can do. However, you give that same woman in that same scenario a can of pepper spray, and her reaction changes. Ryota is that woman, and bombs are his pepper spray.

4)I always practice what I preach. And while they may not be masterpieces, Naruto and Bleach are great series. (Naruto not as much lately) You disagree? Well based on their ratings, I'd say more people agree with me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However it annoys me when people post threads making bold claims like their opinion is the one true reality. As is the case with the kid who made this thread.


1) Lol, true or not, I used it appropriately. Even though you thought I had no idea what it meant and just threw it in there to look koool. To refresh your memory:


2) Again, tsundere is a contradiction between ACTIONS and FEELINGS. Himiko's actions and feelings are on the same accord. Himiko is an interesting character, albeit predictable at times but interesting nonetheless, so don't try to use that as a detractor for her character.

3) You assume to easily. Secondly, I disagree, two completely different situations. The typical, everyday person's reactions are shown through Taira in the series (I'm not saying everyone would lose their mind). In every situation, he runs or is protected by Sakamoto, clearly Sakamoto is just your run of the mill guy.

4) Naruto, yes, it WAS a great series but now it is merely entertaining, nothing special. Bleach, never a great series but entertaining nonetheless. And it appears to me that popularity and ratings mean a heck of a lot to you. For me, I'd rather do my own thinking and judging.
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 1/4/13
Too generic? Not really. Certainly there is some anime tropes in it but you'd be hard pressed to find an anime that doesn't have them. I really enjoyed the show, "generic" or not.
12977 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 20.0167° N, 155.6...
Offline
Posted 1/4/13
if I find my self nit-picking at a show... than why even watch anime in the first place... I know cliffhangers, Hiatus's and what not come at the end. but I find enjoyment in watching any type of anime... I look at it this way... if I am going to judge something.. (and this don't mean just anime)... than I'm destroying the beauty of it being its own thing.... the world does not evolve around a single person....accept things for what they are... and turn the page already
21136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Offline
Posted 1/4/13
It is a death-game. Of course it will have a lot of things in common with other death-game stories (it being the niche that it is). The protagonist is pretty wishy-washy ("I WON'T KILL ANYONE!" Three episodes later, "FUCK THAT!" Two episodes later, "HEY OLD GUY, I DON'T CARE THAT YOU TRIED TO KILL ME, LET'S BE BROS!"), the chick (who I affectionately think of as "That one pair of floating tits".) just behaves like a bitch, and it is needlessly graphic (WE GET THAT THEY HAD SEX, NOW PUT THAT FINGER AWAY!). That said, I watched the whole thing through and enjoyed it, but as far as death-games go, I will keep Mirai Nikki as my favorite because Yuno fucking Gasai.
16816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 1/4/13
Almost every idea is generic, I dare you all to come up with a good idea that hasn't been done before. It's difficult, which is why I get a bit annoyed when people hate on things for being too "generic". I enjoyed "Btooom!" and I don't find it that generic, I have only seen the whole survival game thing done 4 or 5 other times, and the main character reminded my of Light Yagami, who is awesome.
59865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13

tehstud wrote:


1) Lol, true or not, I used it appropriately. Even though you thought I had no idea what it meant and just threw it in there to look koool. To refresh your memory:

2) Again, tsundere is a contradiction between ACTIONS and FEELINGS. Himiko's actions and feelings are on the same accord. Himiko is an interesting character, albeit predictable at times but interesting nonetheless, so don't try to use that as a detractor for her character.

3) You assume to easily. Secondly, I disagree, two completely different situations. The typical, everyday person's reactions are shown through Taira in the series (I'm not saying everyone would lose their mind). In every situation, he runs or is protected by Sakamoto, clearly Sakamoto is just your run of the mill guy.

4) Naruto, yes, it WAS a great series but now it is merely entertaining, nothing special. Bleach, never a great series but entertaining nonetheless. And it appears to me that popularity and ratings mean a heck of a lot to you. For me, I'd rather do my own thinking and judging.


1) No, you didn't. Or if you did, it was such a poor use of the word it made it seem like you didn't know what it meant.

2) A tsundere is not a contradiction between actions and feelings. Many tsunderes are written that way, but it is not a prerequisite for being one. Not to mention, I clearly already stated it doesn't matter if you accept that word for her or not. Himiko's personality is nothing we haven't seen before. That's not to say she isn't an interesting character. I like her. I like Btooom. A lot, in fact. Unique and special, they are not.

3)It's barely an assumption when the answer is obvious. If you saw one of your guy friends look at another guy, lick his lips and say while blushing "me likey" would you assume he was gay? Why? He never said the words "I'm gay". You assume too easily.

Taira runs away because he doesn't know what to do. While Ryota on the other hand, happens to be an expert who knows everything there is to know about the game. The people in fight or flight situations who choose flight, do so because they feel they can't win. People who know they can win, never choose flight. And considering he's the 10th ranked player in the world, it would be more dangerous for him to expose his back running away than to use what he knows to defend himself. So it's less about him manning up, and more about him thinking about the most logical way for him and his loved one to survive. I never claimed he was an idiot.

4)Ratings have no influence over which series I like and which ones I don't. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're confused. Gintama for example. I wouldn't watch that show if you dropped me on an island rigged with explosives and the only way to get out was to watch all the episodes. But based on its ratings, it's clear most people disagree with me. So I'm not ignorant enough to go around saying it's a bad show. I'll just say that it doesn't appeal to me while understanding that I am in the minority.
14182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/4/13 , edited 1/4/13
Its like your craving some vanilla ice cream so you decide to go get some vanilla ice cream.... But what brand do you buy?? Sure they are all flavored vanila but maybe one brand really fancies you over the other or maybe you like soft serve over normal..But because vanilla is generec does that make it bad tasting? Un enjoyable? Fuck no. You just go for the best brand for your vanilla ice cream fix. Something can still be amazing and good even if its generic, something can stand out from the others even if its generic..

I dont see why labeling something as generic makes it a negative to me Btooom and SOA are good shows cause they stood out from alot of the generics, wasnt just a crappy rip off but stayed true to itself within its genre

no?
19407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/4/13

swordstyle wrote:

1) No, you didn't. Or if you did, it was such a poor use of the word it made it seem like you didn't know what it meant.

2) A tsundere is not a contradiction between actions and feelings. Many tsunderes are written that way, but it is not a prerequisite for being one. Not to mention, I clearly already stated it doesn't matter if you accept that word for her or not. Himiko's personality is nothing we haven't seen before. That's not to say she isn't an interesting character. I like her. I like Btooom. A lot, in fact. Unique and special, they are not.

3)It's barely an assumption when the answer is obvious. If you saw one of your guy friends look at another guy, lick his lips and say while blushing "me likey" would you assume he was gay? Why? He never said the words "I'm gay". You assume too easily.

Taira runs away because he doesn't know what to do. While Ryota on the other hand, happens to be an expert who knows everything there is to know about the game. The people in fight or flight situations who choose flight, do so because they feel they can't win. People who know they can win, never choose flight. And considering he's the 10th ranked player in the world, it would be more dangerous for him to expose his back running away than to use what he knows to defend himself. So it's less about him manning up, and more about him thinking about the most logical way for him and his loved one to survive. I never claimed he was an idiot.

4)Ratings have no influence over which series I like and which ones I don't. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're confused. Gintama for example. I wouldn't watch that show if you dropped me on an island rigged with explosives and the only way to get out was to watch all the episodes. But based on its ratings, it's clear most people disagree with me. So I'm not ignorant enough to go around saying it's a bad show. I'll just say that it doesn't appeal to me while understanding that I am in the minority.


1) Someone who throws around percentages and majority/minority rule come off as credulous to me. So eager to go along with whatever is the norm without giving any speculation or thought. Why I even wrote this much is beyond me. Further explanation is futile, it's pointless to explain my logic to someone so high-handed. (Probably going to critique my use of high-handed or my OWN interpretation of what credulous means)

2) By your definition, a tsundere is anyone who is initially cold but then later warms up to someone, correct? Now, couldn't it be argued that anyone and everyone could be considered a tsundere. In all the animes that I have watched thus far, a tsundere acts cold or hostile to someone, but underneath really care for, and usually fawning over, that person. Thus by good ol' deduction, there is a contradiction between a tsundere's actions and feelings. And BTW, nowhere in my posts did I say Himiko was unique, just that she wasn't a tsundere.

3) I prefer not to assume and am noticing that you tend to reach with your examples. What you do is, exaggerate the shit out of a situation and try to make a connection.

Now, Taira certainly knew how to use his BIMs, not as strategically as Sakamoto, but he can nonetheless. Secondly, you're saying Sakamoto only fought because he had the clear advantage, which is him being the 10th best player in the VID-E-O GAME-UH, that it was the logical choice and to say otherwise is ludicrous. Well, here's an example: Let's say the best player of Call of Duty got dumped on an island and was forced to play the game in real life, same as in Btooom!. Every detail of the game was replicated into the real world. By your reasoning, this person would undoubtedly fight any fool who dare oppose him, even if this fool was a trained mercenary (like in Btooom!), because he has the clear advantage, it's the logical choice, and he knows he would win.... Bullshit! In my mind, I'd think he was either brave or fucking stupid.

4) I am confused, seeing as how you use ratings/popularity as justification for an anime being good. In every post, you defend the popular shows with the reasoning, ITS POPULAR STOOPID SO IT HAS TO BE GUD!! But.... you don't let popularity/ratings influence you. WTF!? How the hell does that make sense? Here's what I think, for a show to be good, it has to be very entertaining, BUT also noteworthy in comparison. It has to be exceptional. A lot of popular shows are very entertaining but that doesn't make them exceptional. Comparison is key, how can shit be exceptional when you compare it to shit? Here's a popular show that is actually good, Hunter x Hunter (2011). It's sad that this show doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It pains me that all the attention is getting stolen by these scandalous big titles (SAO) who would sacrifice substance just to attract a sector in the anime demographic.
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 1/4/13
This is a pretty intense thread lol....

I found Btooom to be good, a little predictable at some points but good none the less. I found the use of different types of bombs to be an interesting little quirk. In today's world there are just so many anime that something has to be basically way out in left field to not be considered generic, so while the show wasn't entirely original, it also wasn't really a complete knock off. Entertaining in its own sense. My biggest pet peeve was some of the characters (a lot actually were irritating) but thats just me.

Would for sure watch a second season.
59865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 1/4/13

tehstud wrote:

1) Someone who throws around percentages and majority/minority rule come off as credulous to me. So eager to go along with whatever is the norm without giving any speculation or thought. Why I even wrote this much is beyond me. Further explanation is futile, it's pointless to explain my logic to someone so high-handed. (Probably going to critique my use of high-handed or my OWN interpretation of what credulous means)

2) By your definition, a tsundere is anyone who is initially cold but then later warms up to someone, correct? Now, couldn't it be argued that anyone and everyone could be considered a tsundere. In all the animes that I have watched thus far, a tsundere acts cold or hostile to someone, but underneath really care for, and usually fawning over, that person. Thus by good ol' deduction, there is a contradiction between a tsundere's actions and feelings. And BTW, nowhere in my posts did I say Himiko was unique, just that she wasn't a tsundere.

3) I prefer not to assume and am noticing that you tend to reach with your examples. What you do is, exaggerate the shit out of a situation and try to make a connection.

Now, Taira certainly knew how to use his BIMs, not as strategically as Sakamoto, but he can nonetheless. Secondly, you're saying Sakamoto only fought because he had the clear advantage, which is him being the 10th best player in the VID-E-O GAME-UH, that it was the logical choice and to say otherwise is ludicrous. Well, here's an example: Let's say the best player of Call of Duty got dumped on an island and was forced to play the game in real life, same as in Btooom!. Every detail of the game was replicated into the real world. By your reasoning, this person would undoubtedly fight any fool who dare oppose him, even if this fool was a trained mercenary (like in Btooom!), because he has the clear advantage, it's the logical choice, and he knows he would win.... Bullshit! In my mind, I'd think he was either brave or fucking stupid.

4) I am confused, seeing as how you use ratings/popularity as justification for an anime being good. In every post, you defend the popular shows with the reasoning, ITS POPULAR STOOPID SO IT HAS TO BE GUD!! But.... you don't let popularity/ratings influence you. WTF!? How the hell does that make sense? Here's what I think, for a show to be good, it has to be very entertaining, BUT also noteworthy in comparison. It has to be exceptional. A lot of popular shows are very entertaining but that doesn't make them exceptional. Comparison is key, how can shit be exceptional when you compare it to shit? Here's a popular show that is actually good, Hunter x Hunter (2011). It's sad that this show doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It pains me that all the attention is getting stolen by these scandalous big titles (SAO) who would sacrifice substance just to attract a sector in the anime demographic.


1) lol Dude, you can't assign your own interpretations to words. They mean what they mean. You said I described their relationship "credulously". As in, I described their relationship believing it too easily? I wanted others to believe it too easily? I'm sorry, what? The context with which you used the word simply made no sense. Now claiming I throw around percentages to prove my points makes me seem credulous, was in fact, the correct use of the word.

2)No, it could not be argued that everyone could be considered a tsundere. I honestly have no idea how you could even theorize that. A tsundere is a female who starts out mean or down right hostile, but softens up later in the series. Most characters in anime start off pretty nice. Or least indifferent. Not particularly liking or caring for someone is obviously not the same as insulting or attacking them.

Many tsundere's who just act cold as a facade are written that way because they are intended to be a potential love interest down the road. And it's simply much easier for the audience to accept that character as a love interest if they see her soft side early on, even if the main character doesn't. That's also why they dedicated a whole episode to Himiko's rape back story. A subplot which fits in this anime, but either wouldn't fit or would be too hardcore for most other series.

3)Knowing how to operate something and knowing how to use it effectively are two completely different things. Your Call of Duty analogy is also terrible. Since Call of Duty attempts to mimic actual warfare. In other words, the game attempts to mimic real life. In Btooom, it's real life attempting to mimic the game. Not to mention the observers and even Ryota himself mention several times that the fact he is ranked 10th in the world is relevant. So you trying to act like it isn't is pretty retarded.

4)<sigh> Never once did I claim there was a direct correlation between ratings and quality. I even threw in a high rated anime which I personally despise as reference. I don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp, but I'll try again. A highly rated show means a lot of people are watching it. If a lot of people are watching it, it must have something that appeals to those people. And considering appeal is entirely subjective, who do you think you are to tell those people they are wrong?

Engaging in an argument saying this show is better than that one is just foolish and makes you look like a child. And before you get confused....again. I never claimed one show was better than the other. I said I like one more than the other. That's MY opinion. And no list of someone else's complaints can take that away from me.
19407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Delaware
Offline
Posted 1/5/13 , edited 1/5/13

swordstyle wrote:

1) lol Dude, you can't assign your own interpretations to words. They mean what they mean. You said I described their relationship "credulously". As in, I described their relationship believing it too easily? I wanted others to believe it too easily? I'm sorry, what? The context with which you used the word simply made no sense. Now claiming I throw around percentages to prove my points makes me seem credulous, was in fact, the correct use of the word.

2)No, it could not be argued that everyone could be considered a tsundere. I honestly have no idea how you could even theorize that. A tsundere is a female who starts out mean or down right hostile, but softens up later in the series. Most characters in anime start off pretty nice. Or least indifferent. Not particularly liking or caring for someone is obviously not the same as insulting or attacking them.

Many tsundere's who just act cold as a facade are written that way because they are intended to be a potential love interest down the road. And it's simply much easier for the audience to accept that character as a love interest if they see her soft side early on, even if the main character doesn't. That's also why they dedicated a whole episode to Himiko's rape back story. A subplot which fits in this anime, but either wouldn't fit or would be too hardcore for most other series.

3)Knowing how to operate something and knowing how to use it effectively are two completely different things. Your Call of Duty analogy is also terrible. Since Call of Duty attempts to mimic actual warfare. In other words, the game attempts to mimic real life. In Btooom, it's real life attempting to mimic the game. Not to mention the observers and even Ryota himself mention several times that the fact he is ranked 10th in the world is relevant. So you trying to act like it isn't is pretty retarded.

4)<sigh> Never once did I claim there was a direct correlation between ratings and quality. I even threw in a high rated anime which I personally despise as reference. I don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp, but I'll try again. A highly rated show means a lot of people are watching it. If a lot of people are watching it, it must have something that appeals to those people. And considering appeal is entirely subjective, who do you think you are to tell those people they are wrong?

Engaging in an argument saying this show is better than that one is just foolish and makes you look like a child. And before you get confused....again. I never claimed one show was better than the other. I said I like one more than the other. That's MY opinion. And no list of someone else's complaints can take that away from me.


Seriously? Do you have even think for yourself? Your copy/paste, man.

1) Just because it's an interpretation doesn't make it wrong. What I wrote was ''eager to go along with, or label, whatever is/as the norm without speculation or thought''. Are you saying that's not what credulous means? Just because it's not the word for word definition you'll find in your handy Merriam Webster dictionary doesn't make it false. Furthermore, I did use it correctly on both accounts. You readily accepted that their relationship was the ''95%'' without any thought and gave a catchall description. Like I said before, too high-handed to accept anything that contradicts him, simple minded it seems as well.

Marco! ............................... ????

2) I'm sorry, didn't realize we're playing marco polo. Didn't realize we weren't on the same accord. During all of my posts for this second point, I was under the assumption we had a silent understanding that a tsundere is always female, that it went without saying and to keep stating it would be redundancy. Better explain myself thoroughly next time as to not confuse you.Let me rephrase, "couldn't it be argued that any-GIRL and every-GIRL could be considered a tsundere?" I stand firm on my argument while yours is too vague to even be meaningful. I don't want to be on repeat like you so I will rest my case on this one.

Nit-picking is for monkeys!

3) Please don't nitpick, it's rather irritating. Also, heed your own advice and stop putting words in my mouth (I have a feeling that I'm going to be saying that many times over). Firstly, I only said he knew how to use it, but he obviously knows how to operate it effectively which was clearly shown in episode 12. Secondly, My COD analogy is relevant and I used that since it is, arguably, the most recognizable game. Whether it tries to mimic reality or fantasy is irrelevant. Many may not believe me, but anyone who is any good at COD has to play strategically (not camp). There are certain things that only experienced players know that give them an advantage over other players. Same as in Btooom!. And since you're probably going to say, "retarded! any military veteran, or buff, would have a way better advantage since they ACTUALLY trained to use the guns in combat." I would ask that you not nitpick but since that's highly unlikely... Let's just pretend that in this game the weapons are from the future (Not COD:BOPS II future), but a future where technology actually developed. But I digress. Anyway, AGAIN (for crying out loud), I never said that Ryota being a veteran player in the video game didn't account for shit. If he wasn't, I would be thoroughly annoyed that he survived as long as he did. I'm just proving that it took fucking guts to fight the psychos, killers, and mercenaries, since you so boldly claim that Ryota's a sissy boy and he only fought out of self preservation, which ANYONE would have done, right? Fuck no. Most people would run, most people wouldn't think fighting would be a logical choice just because they are rank #10 in the fuckin' video game, and most people would NOT think they would win against a fuckin' REAL mercenary. Fuck, you're contagious, I'm on repeat now, reread my previous post if you want the full explanation. In retrospect, I don't know about you, but a sissy MC would bore me so how can you enjoy the show sitting back calling him a pussy.

Hypocrisy much?

4) Here, chew on this:

However, ratings do indicate how many people are watching a series. And more people watching generally means that show is pretty good. And given the astounding ratings of SAO, that's saying something.

Where ever did I get the impression that popularity/ratings = quality? Pfft, Want more? Certainly!


SAO was simply a much better show and judging from the ratings and critical acclaim it's got, most people agree with me.

But wait, didn't you just say you NEVER claimed one show was better than the other, merely that you liked one over another? Only children bicker of such trivial things (hehe, thts wat u sed). What a pile of shit.

And once again, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said the show isn't appealing or whatever, just that it wasn't good. I even said some shows crucify themselves to appeal to a larger audience (SAO). I even say that a lot of popular shows are ENTERTAINING, just not good.

59865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 1/5/13

tehstud wrote:


Seriously? Do you have even think for yourself? Your copy/paste, man.

1) Just because it's an interpretation doesn't make it wrong. What I wrote was ''eager to go along with, or label, whatever is/as the norm without speculation or thought''. Are you saying that's not what credulous means? Just because it's not the word for word definition you'll find in your handy Merriam Webster dictionary doesn't make it false. Furthermore, I did use it correctly on both accounts. You readily accepted that their relationship was the ''95%'' without any thought and gave a catchall description. Like I said before, too high-handed to accept anything that contradicts him, simple minded it seems as well.

Marco! ............................... ????

2) I'm sorry, didn't realize we're playing marco polo. Didn't realize we weren't on the same accord. During all of my posts for this second point, I was under the assumption we had a silent understanding that a tsundere is always female, that it went without saying and to keep stating it would be redundancy. Better explain myself thoroughly next time as to not confuse you.Let me rephrase, "couldn't it be argued that any-GIRL and every-GIRL could be considered a tsundere?" I stand firm on my argument while yours is too vague to even be meaningful. I don't want to be on repeat like you so I will rest my case on this one.

Nit-picking is for monkeys!

3) Please don't nitpick, it's rather irritating. Also, heed your own advice and stop putting words in my mouth (I have a feeling that I'm going to be saying that many times over). Firstly, I only said he knew how to use it, but he obviously knows how to operate it effectively which was clearly shown in episode 12. Secondly, My COD analogy is relevant and I used that since it is, arguably, the most recognizable game. Whether it tries to mimic reality or fantasy is irrelevant. Many may not believe me, but anyone who is any good at COD has to play strategically (not camp). There are certain things that only experienced players know that give them an advantage over other players. Same as in Btooom!. And since you're probably going to say, "retarded! any military veteran, or buff, would have a way better advantage since they ACTUALLY trained to use the guns in combat." I would ask that you not nitpick but since that's highly unlikely... Let's just pretend that in this game the weapons are from the future (Not COD:BOPS II future), but a future where technology actually developed. But I digress. Anyway, AGAIN (for crying out loud), I never said that Ryota being a veteran player in the video game didn't account for shit. If he wasn't, I would be thoroughly annoyed that he survived as long as he did. I'm just proving that it took fucking guts to fight the psychos, killers, and mercenaries, since you so boldly claim that Ryota's a sissy boy and he only fought out of self preservation, which ANYONE would have done, right? Fuck no. Most people would run, most people wouldn't think fighting would be a logical choice just because they are rank #10 in the fuckin' video game, and most people would NOT think they would win against a fuckin' REAL mercenary. Fuck, you're contagious, I'm on repeat now, reread my previous post if you want the full explanation. In retrospect, I don't know about you, but a sissy MC would bore me so how can you enjoy the show sitting back calling him a pussy.

Hypocrisy much?

4) Here, chew on this:

However, ratings do indicate how many people are watching a series. And more people watching generally means that show is pretty good. And given the astounding ratings of SAO, that's saying something.

Where ever did I get the impression that popularity/ratings = quality? Pfft, Want more? Certainly!


SAO was simply a much better show and judging from the ratings and critical acclaim it's got, most people agree with me.

But wait, didn't you just say you NEVER claimed one show was better than the other, merely that you liked one over another? Only children bicker of such trivial things (hehe, thts wat u sed). What a pile of shit.

And once again, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said the show isn't appealing or whatever, just that it wasn't good. I even said some shows crucify themselves to appeal to a larger audience (SAO). I even say that a lot of popular shows are ENTERTAINING, just not good.


1) I didn't "readily accept" anything. I simply understood what the author was showing me. There is no deeper thought required. You attempted to make something from nothing and assign a deep intricacy where there simply isn't one. Which is why I didn't understand your use of the word. I thought you were at least intelligent enough to grasp the obvious, apparently I was wrong. You mad because I gave a catchall description when all I did was describe the vast majority of anime I've seen. It's not my fault if your beloved met all the criteria to a tee. You know what series does not meet that criteria? SAO. For a catchall description, it sure did a bad job of catching all.....

2) lol Umm....yeah just because I used the word "female" you thought I was accusing you of including males in your statement? Wow kid, you have some insecurity issues. You should probably see someone about that. As far as my statement being vague, it wasn't. It was in fact quite specific. Let me be specific once again. No, not every GIRL could be considered a tsundere since not every GIRL is mean and hostile at the start of a series. Do you not watch anime? How could you not know that? I guess that goes back to my earlier statement about your inability to grasp the obvious.

3) He knows how to operate it effectively, huh?


but anyone who is any good at COD has to play strategically (not camp)


Taira spawn camping is obviously not the same as being able to defend himself from an attacker. As far your COD statement, you refuted that yourself. And then went on to ask that I pretend the game is from the future. LOL. Wow, I'm just gonna leave that alone. The creators of this series made Ryota the 10th ranked player in the world specifically to be his weapon, his advantage. What you think other people would do is irrelevant. Ryota believes he is in a game that he knows everything about. So even though he isn't the manliest guy in the world, he still fights and wins when backed in to a corner. That's what makes the show interesting.

4) Ah, I forgot I said that a week ago to that other kid. So I guess you got me there. But my point still stands. I do think SAO is a better show. That's my opinion. And the ratings are a testament to how many people agree with me. That's not to say your opinion is incorrect, just that you are in the minority. That's a fact. The numbers don't lie. High ratings don't mean I will like a series, but it's undeniable proof that many other people do. You keep saying that a show can be entertaining, but not good. And I keep saying that "good" is subjective. You complain about how I repeat myself. But obviously, why would I need to repeat myself if you were able to grasp these simple concepts?

And yeah, only children bicker over opinions. You are a child. Stomping your feet and holding your breath when you don't get your way. The entire point of all this for me was to make you understand that your opinions are not facts. But I see now that I might as well be explaining quantum physics to a cat. There is no point in explaining things to someone without the mental capacity to grasp them. So I'm done here. Go ahead and have your last word, child. I'll be the adult here and let you have it.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/13 , edited 1/5/13

tehstud wrote:
I'm afraid you still don't understand the ACTUAL meaning of nit-picking. Because what you're saying is, anytime someone criticizes something, that the significance and relevance of the fault has no play and that they're just nit-picking. Let's just say that's your interpretation. Guess in your mind, nit-picking and criticizing is one and the same.

I do understand the differences between nit-picking and criticizing very well, thank you very much. Apparently it's you who doesn't really understand the concept and does a lot of assuming. That seems to be your general trend of debate, not just with myself but with others as well: Assume and Generalize

So, let me explain to you what the differences are. When someone criticizes, it will be general in nature. Example: "the characters in the series are too 1-dimensional; absolute good or absolute evil". Nit-picking is when you focus on 1 small detail in an episode of a series to criticize and generalize. And then, to search through every single flaws of the series just to show how bad it is. That is nit-picking, It has gone beyond simple criticizing.


Challenge Accepted. Currently, my favorite anime is Hunter x Hunter (2011), which is conveniently streaming on CR.

That was a rhetorical statement. And yes, I can certainly tear it apart if I could be bothered to put some effort into it. I just had to chuckle when you actually named a series. And if you so desired, you know you'll be able to find faults with virtually any series as well.

Okay, let me rephrase, I don't want to offend the hoi polloi. Anyone who has had... overexposure? to good anime would probably consider it over-hyped and mediocre, at best. Now please, don't misunderstand me, I don't care what people say and don't let it sway my opinion. I couldn't care less if everyone hated it or loved it. Honestly, I had high expectations for this anime after the first episode, but it was just shi-... mediocre onward.

Anyone who has had... overexposure? to good anime would probably consider it over-hyped and mediocre, at best." Again with the assumptions and generalization. Yeah, right. If anyone like that series, they must have poor taste and/or haven't had "overexposure" to good anime. Please stop assuming that your tastes or preferences are better than someone else, or someone has seen less good series than you have. It's just plain stupid. Everyone is different. Just because someone like something you don't, it doesn't mean you have better taste.

To claim otherwise is just being delusional and/or being too full of oneself.
7527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/5/13
Personally one of the biggest reason I enjoyed the anime is the development of the main character, he's a completely different person by the end of the person and I found myself rooting for him by the end.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.