First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What is the world view on canadians?
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

Aokidanza wrote:

I've never thought Canada was much different from the US... North America...


Some Minor Differences. some of them Regional Folks from Alberta and Montana probably have more in common with each other than either have with their respective federal capitals. Quebec is as unique to Canada as Texas or Louisiana are to the US.


But there are some differences.

Overall, as Nation we are probably more left wing than the US. our 'centrist' party is called the Liberal party of Canada. Our current opposition party are Social Democrats. and our Right wing party only exists because of nearly twenty years of effort to 'unite the right'.

We say 'Portraits of the Queen' instead of 'Dead Presidents'

our Taxman is called the CRA. (Canada Revenue Agency)

Militia, is what our Department of National Defense calls our Army reserves.

we spell Colour, Armour, Honour, Neighbour, and few other words differently than you do.

for some strange reason Lieutenant is pronounced 'Lefttennant'

We have Tim Hortons EVERYWHERE.

All our revolutions failed. all the way back to English Canada being pretty much founded on the losers of the American Revolution (You called the 'Tories' we call the United Empire Loyalists)

The war of 1812 had been settled in England before it began. Our heroic defense of various Canadian Cities made meaningless.

All our revolutions got what or at least some of what they wanted in the end. The rebellions of 1837 led to the Durham report and the formation of the structure that would eventually be Canada's parliament. And one of the leaders of those rebellions became a member of parliament while his Grandson was our prime minister during World War II.

The Leader of the Red River Rebellion and the Rebellions of 1885 also was elected to parliament. (in Between Rebellions. We did hang him the second time around)

While we do very well in a fight. We aren't disposed as a nation, to see violence as a solution to problems. We don't have a 'gun culture' like America does... Trust me. Admitting you are or were a gun owner in this country is like... admitting you're into some strange disgusting porn. Trust me on this one.. .it's one of my pet peeves with a country I otherwise love.

in the US you say: Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

We say: Peace, Order, and Good Government.

You remember Wyat Earp, Bat Masterson and Eliot Ness

We DON'T remember Sam Steele (well some of us do. If he'd been an American John Wayne would have sold his soul to play him in a movie)

You make your Presidents into Legends.

We remember the Prime Minister who made us a Nation as a Drunkard, The PM who led us through WWII as a crystal ball gazer who consulted on policy with his pet terrier. Our 60's era "Charisma" PM as the guy who give the press 'The Finger' and managed to get the F-word entered into Hansard as "Fuddle-Duddle"

You have a number of Hollywood Stars and celebrities that you follow. We follow the same ones. half of them are ours.




2179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NW England
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
You should never underestimate the value of being a country that the world largely ignores.

Even here in the UK, when you ask people what they think of the US, you'll get all kinds of answers, ranging from 'Pretty cool' to 'Warmongers' to 'They eat too much' and every other (Often ridiculous and ignorant) stereotype under the sun. I'm sure the same is true when foreigners speak of us in the UK; ignorance is universal. However, when you ask people here what they think of Canada, the usual responses are often along the lines of 'I dunno, mounties right?', or something daft to do with Terence and Philip. When the world is so ambiguous in its opinion of you, it is a good thing and Canadians should revel in it; it improves their safety and diplomacy.

Canadian armed forces have been active in Afghanistan, but that too is largely ignored, given how their loud, overly muscled, flamboyant neighbour and their old parent nation are the ones in the news (And the ones being blamed). Given the ill will the US and UK have been generating this past decade throughout the world, and the centuries old (Tiresome and unhelpful) hatred various ethnicities have towards my people, there are few things I wouldn't give for England and the rest of the UK to be in Canada's shoes.
The oil, low crime rate and scenery would be nice, too
34482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 1/1/13


Very interesting; thanks for sharing all that! I knew there were some minor discrepancies, like you said, but that all pretty much confirmed that there aren't many differences between us. Biggest one I knew of was the gun culture. Nothing quite like US gun culture.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

quintus_fontane wrote:

You should never underestimate the value of being a country that the world largely ignores.

Even here in the UK, when you ask people what they think of the US, you'll get all kinds of answers, ranging from 'Pretty cool' to 'Warmongers' to 'They eat too much' and every other (Often ridiculous and ignorant) stereotype under the sun. I'm sure the same is true when foreigners speak of us in the UK; ignorance is universal. However, when you ask people here what they think of Canada, the usual responses are often along the lines of 'I dunno, mounties right?', or something daft to do with Terence and Philip. When the world is so ambiguous in its opinion of you, it is a good thing and Canadians should revel in it; it improves their safety and diplomacy.

Canadian armed forces have been active in Afghanistan, but that too is largely ignored, given how their loud, overly muscled, flamboyant neighbour and their old parent nation are the ones in the news (And the ones being blamed). Given the ill will the US and UK have been generating this past decade throughout the world, and the centuries old (Tiresome and unhelpful) hatred various ethnicities have towards my people, there are few things I wouldn't give for England and the rest of the UK to be in Canada's shoes.
The oil, low crime rate and scenery would be nice, too


Oh don't worry someone staged a 'protest' during the two minutes silence of Remembrance Day this year. There ARE people who know "we" (not I, I was only a cold warrior and a weekend warrior) were in Kandahar and want to make an issue of it. Doing it then though guaranteed they won't be heard by me.

I'd personally would LOVE for the UK to join us in our shoes. but I've always been a bit of an Anglophile. Hey, our Queen occupies the same physical body as YOUR Queen, so it's not a stretch right?

34482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Aokidanza wrote:



Very interesting; thanks for sharing all that! I knew there were some minor discrepancies, like you said, but that all pretty much confirmed that there aren't many differences between us. Biggest one I knew of was the gun culture. Nothing quite like US gun culture.


well it helps, that attacking your gun culture is like attacking free speech.

It's like Second on your bill of rights. (the first ten amendments to the US constitution)

Saying people don't have a right to arm themselves in the US is like saying you can't have freedom of religion. It's an Effing RIGHT.




Yep, Second Amendment protection. Lots of people still arguing over it, though. Personally, I hate guns, but I don't mind if others own them. I just won't be carrying one myself. (And some more regulation wouldn't be uncalled for, IMO.)
2179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NW England
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


quintus_fontane wrote:



Oh don't worry someone staged a 'protest' during the two minutes silence of Remembrance Day this year. There ARE people who know "we" (not I, I was only a cold warrior and a weekend warrior) were in Kandahar and want to make an issue of it. Doing it then though guaranteed they won't be heard by me.

I'd personally would LOVE for the UK to join us in our shoes. but I've always been a bit of an Anglophile. Hey, our Queen occupies the same physical body as YOUR Queen, so it's not a stretch right?



Hah! If only, my friend. All I need to do is convince our government that we should stop pretending to be the powerhouse we were two centuries ago, leave the EU to its bickering, renovate our system of government and magically convince a large portion of the population to stop beating the shit out of each other and start reading instead, and we'd be on our way!

People who protest during the silence annoy me intensely. Until recently we were repatriating our dead through a town called Royal Wootton Bassett, and it got to the point where fights were almost breaking out between the people turning out to honour the dead and the people of other faiths turning up and protesting loudly. Hate the war, hate the people who sent our boys and girls to kill and die, but don't disrespect the troops themselves, especially not the ones who gave everything for the place they call home.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

quintus_fontane wrote:

Hah! If only, my friend. All I need to do is convince our government that we should stop pretending to be the powerhouse we were two centuries ago, leave the EU to its bickering, renovate our system of government and magically convince a large portion of the population to stop beating the shit out of each other and start reading instead, and we'd be on our way!

People who protest during the silence annoy me intensely. Until recently we were repatriating our dead through a town called Royal Wootton Bassett, and it got to the point where fights were almost breaking out between the people turning out to honour the dead and the people of other faiths turning up and protesting loudly. Hate the war, hate the people who sent our boys and girls to kill and die, but don't disrespect the troops themselves, especially not the ones who gave everything for the place they call home.


Exactly. or from a Canada perspective. That one moment everyyear is the one time you REALLY don't want to fuck with a Canadian. The 'Nice' stereotype disappears HARD.


2179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NW England
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


quintus_fontane wrote:



Exactly. or from a Canada perspective. That one moment everyyear is the one time you REALLY don't want to fuck with a Canadian. The 'Nice' stereotype disappears HARD.




As it should be! When it comes to morality and basic decency, there is no room for negotiation.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/2/13 , edited 1/2/13

Aokidanza wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Aokidanza wrote:



Very interesting; thanks for sharing all that! I knew there were some minor discrepancies, like you said, but that all pretty much confirmed that there aren't many differences between us. Biggest one I knew of was the gun culture. Nothing quite like US gun culture.


well it helps, that attacking your gun culture is like attacking free speech.

It's like Second on your bill of rights. (the first ten amendments to the US constitution)

Saying people don't have a right to arm themselves in the US is like saying you can't have freedom of religion. It's an Effing RIGHT.




Yep, Second Amendment protection. Lots of people still arguing over it, though. Personally, I hate guns, but I don't mind if others own them. I just won't be carrying one myself. (And some more regulation wouldn't be uncalled for, IMO.)


NRA has painted itself into a corner on that one. So determined to resist ANY regulation that their only response to recent tragedy is to suggest arming everyone. Given the way I see 'everyone' driving. I personally think there would be a lot of 'negligent discharges' ... on the other hand it might be an interesting experiment in social Darwinism. Remove all the dumb impulsive people from the Gene Pool?

Though I probably shouldn't start that conversation here... hmmm I saw a thread about Gun Controll earlier....




39292 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / 'mureca
Offline
Posted 1/2/13
What is this thread aboot?
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 1/2/13 , edited 1/2/13

papi4baby wrote:

What is this thread aboot?


Pie.

Seriously though, it's about what the world thinks of Canada. Since, evidently, the world doesn't think much or perhaps anything about Canada. it's become a place for Canadians (and some others) to converse... seemingly at Random.

I suggest reading a few posts to have a more clear idea of some of topics under discussion.

39292 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / 'mureca
Offline
Posted 1/2/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


papi4baby wrote:

What is this thread aboot?


Pie.

Seriously though, it's about what the world thinks of Canada. Since, evidently, the world doesn't think much or perhaps anything about Canada. it's become a place for Canadians (and some others) to converse... seemingly at Random.

I suggest reading a few posts to have a more clear idea of some of topics under discussion.





I know i was joking, hence aboot!


I wish i could get a Norinco M4 like you guys can.
15013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / walking along a l...
Offline
Posted 1/2/13
well being british i see canada as the good child while his brother usa is the bad child.

honestly i like canada and see nothing wrong with them, just american who watch too much south park taking the piss out of them. children these days.
20110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Florida, US
Offline
Posted 1/2/13
peculiar thread lol...

i dated one. man, she was feisty yet passionate.

19865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 1/3/13
So, I'm looking for some reading material for this year. Have a few picked out already, but this thread has me gotten me somewhat interested in Canada.

Anybody willing to recommend some books on Canada/Canadians (not restricted to history, though that is certainly fine)?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.