First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Do wishing and praying work?
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

PhyongHwa wrote:

Well, there is one person in my life, and four others who are alive (who are in my life) because of prayer. My life's never been easy, but I am blessed nevertheless.


Guess the prayers for my mother weren't blessed like yours. I would dig holes in the ground until the day I die if it would bring her back.
3088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
I would immediately answer no, but not after contemplating for a bit. It depends on the wish or prayer.

Example of a wish that will come true: I wish someone else will post in this thread.

Example of a wish that will not come true: I wish it would start pouring rain (in my town for the inevitable wise guy who will say it is raining somewhere) within the next 5 minutes.

It all depends really, but there are no uncanny circumstances if that's what you're asking.
4955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

netdisorder wrote:


PhyongHwa wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

There was a test on praying done using 300 terminal cancer patients. 600 people were told to pray for the 300 cancer patients. 300 would pray for 150 patients, and 300 for the other 150. 150 (1/2) of the cancer patients were told that they were being prayed for.

When the results came in, it showed that the 150 cancer patients who weren't prayed for actually fared better than the 150 who were prayed for. The 150 who were prayed for said that they felt more pressure and stress than usual knowing that other people were thinking about them, while not wanting to let down the people who prayed.

I'm not saying that it never works. But that it didn't for these terminally ill cancer patients. Perhaps it's because it was a test. But still, the prayers had to have still been genuine, coming from regular church attendees and priests.


Didn't they technically break a biblical rule by doing that? (Matt. 4:7)


Seems like a convenient way of keeping people from trying to find any proof of Gods existence. It's basically saying "If you can't observe God, then don't bother trying because you should just focus on believing instead of using your natural ability to question and attempt to comprehend in order to observe something".

Why would God make us curious, intellectual, and give us the ability to search for truth to the meaning of our existence, if he doesn't want us to find his miracles?


I doubt those tests were done to find proof of God, more likely the opposite. Let's put it this way, go to your parents, tell them you doubt their intellectual ability and capability as parents and therefore you will refuse to follow any of their rules unless they submit to an IQ and psychological test and prove they're competent. See how that flies....don't forget to duck & run after you say that.
4955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

netdisorder wrote:


PhyongHwa wrote:

Well, there is one person in my life, and four others who are alive (who are in my life) because of prayer. My life's never been easy, but I am blessed nevertheless.


Guess the prayers for my mother weren't blessed like yours. I would dig holes in the ground until the day I die if it would bring her back.


I never said nobody in my life has died. I have lost 3 people who were dear to me. One of them was my three year old's twin.
Posted 1/1/13
is as dead as your hope
32425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
They never work. Only realistic goals and hard work get things done.
53190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
This whole idea of "the supernatural" is just humanistic behavior. Those who are simple minded want a simple explanation for everything. How was the Universe formed? First form of life? Simple answer. God. Whats the complex answer? For most probably a TL;don't care.

Oh and i'm not saying you have to an idiot to be religious. That would be completely untrue.

Also think about this. Why is it that every explanation for God is so simple and easy to understand while scientific explanation can vary in difficulty and requires a bulk of your time.

53190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

Tekrelious wrote:

Prayer? Yes.

Remember during the 1998 olympics the entire nation of Japan prayed for snow? It worked. When people gather together to pray for a united cause God listens. He won't always give us what we want but a united people, praying for something important to them will be answered.


You do realize that Japan isn't 100% christian right? There are other forms of religion that exist within Japan. Especially in 1998...So it's almost impossible for the entire nation to have united.

Also. Not 100% of the Japanese population care about the Olympics. I could go on and list many more fallacies within that statement but that would just be mean.

Oh using your logic. For generations those who hated the Jews for betraying Christ prayed for something terrible to occur to them. Adolf Hitler the prophet answered the call and the Holocaust came to be.
49408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
I've stopped praying since 13.

I grew up in a family environment where I was allowed to think for myself and no ideology was forced on me. As I learned more about science, I realised that everything that happens in this world has a scientific reasoning... there's no supernatural involved.

Science textbooks didn't tell me that there is no god, it annoys me when people say things like, "Oh science has brainwashed you"... science didn't tell me what to believe, it's my own logic based on scientific information that tells me that there is no god.

I don't believe in wishes either, more superstitious things invented by people like wishing on a shooting star or a well... it's ridiculous.

I do hope for certain things to occur in my life, like finding a companion (not necessarily a lover as I don't believe in love) that I could spend my life with.
I've just never experienced that feeling people described as "love"... not even "family love". With my family, I feel like it's obligatory that I act caring towards them rather than something that happens because of the feeling of "love".
1435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Wish in one hand and shit in the other -- see which one fills up first.
10131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Doing works 100% of the time... All the time....
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Did you guys know that the Universe is just a mental creation? So, of course wishes do come true. Everything in reality is a thought form. Wake the fuck up, people.
32425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

-Vega- wrote:

Did you guys know that the Universe is just a mental creation? So, of course wishes do come true. Everything in reality is a thought form. Wake the fuck up, people.


Untrue. I wished for an unlimited supply of money and never got it.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

lordseth23 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

Did you guys know that the Universe is just a mental creation? So, of course wishes do come true. Everything in reality is a thought form. Wake the fuck up, people.


Untrue. I wished for an unlimited supply of money and never got it.


Everything that has ever happened to you is what you wanted.

32425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

-Vega- wrote:


lordseth23 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

Did you guys know that the Universe is just a mental creation? So, of course wishes do come true. Everything in reality is a thought form. Wake the fuck up, people.


Untrue. I wished for an unlimited supply of money and never got it.


Everything that has ever happened to you is what you wanted.



No, it is not what I wanted, want currently, or will want.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.