First  Prev  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  Next  Last
Post Reply Spring 2013 Anime
15276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bay Area CA
Offline
Posted 4/6/13 , edited 4/6/13

hpulley wrote:



My tweets always get results.... um, sadly, no...

Next I will, seriously, threaten not to import their show if they don't stream it. I don't import anything that doesn't get streamed here. I didn't start buying Little Busters! until Crunchyroll got it. Still haven't bought Jojo's Bizarre Adventure even though I have bought the manga for years and years. No stream, no buy. A few PVs posted on http://www.mbs.jp/shingeki/ are not enough to make me buy it and I shouldn't have to download it illegally to see if I like it. I know, they don't give a Titan turd if one foreign guy buys it or not but that is my stance anyways.


Nothing wrong with sticking to ones principles. I don't have an aversion to downloading illegally, I'd prefer not to, I want to do it aboveboard if possible and I think quite a few anime fans have the same stance, well the ones that matter at least (ie those that actually buy things).
71377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/6/13

theskyflame wrote:

Noone will be simulcasting attack on titan. MBS is apparently not letting anyone (except france) simulcast it. Also noone currently has the simulcasting rights to arata kangatari but that might change soon.

Not that it makes much difference, but it also has a Korean simulcast/broadcast.
49304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 4/7/13 , edited 4/7/13

llamaben wrote:


theskyflame wrote:

Noone will be simulcasting attack on titan. MBS is apparently not letting anyone (except france) simulcast it. Also noone currently has the simulcasting rights to arata kangatari but that might change soon.

Not that it makes much difference, but it also has a Korean simulcast/broadcast.


Tweets from industry insiders are BS as we can now see. Until @anime_shingeki or the MBS site itself confirms it, they are apparently open for business for streaming.

https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki

http://www.mbs.jp/shingeki/
21528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/7/13 , edited 4/7/13

Balzack wrote:

Could someone explain to me how this whole thing works? I'm honestly pretty curious about it. Like is there a bidding war for these shows? Is Crunchyroll directly bidding against their competitors like Funimation? And if that's the case who all are the major players?

I just find this whole process interesting.


Building on what Agila said, whilst Crunchyroll bid for every series, the amount they bid is pretty small (I've heard it quoted at $1000-$2000 per episode) which probably about 1% of the total cost it takes to produce an anime. Funimation, is looking for shows to license, dub and physically release on DVD and Blu-Ray. An expensive process, but one with bigger margins. Crunchyroll can't directly compete against a home distributor like Funimation, because their offer will be substantially higher..

However, what Crunchyroll does have is a huge audience, probably the largest volume of anime enthusiasts watching shows anywhere. For companies with very limited advertising budgets Crunchyroll offers the opportunity to promote shows (by getting a large number of people watching them) and act as a testbed.

Sword Art Online is a great example. Aniplex US licensed the show from Aniplex in Japan, and let Crunchyroll stream it. Now it's getting an expensive dub (I don't believe Aniplex has any in-house dubbing capability, they outsource on a show by show basis). So whilst the cost Crunchyroll paid was minimal, the free promotion was invaluable.

So basicly Aniplex and Sentai acquire the rights, then sub-license to Crunchyroll in attempt to boost the eventual DVD/Blu-Ray release (if they choose to do one), whereas Funimation do their own thing. (Though Sentai will give some rights to TAN) Alternatively Crunchyroll can work directly with the smaller publishers in Japan to stream their work.


66648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 4/7/13 , edited 4/7/13

icecreamsnow wrote:
Building on what Agila said, whilst Crunchyroll bid for every series, the amount they bid is pretty small (I've heard it quoted at $1000-$2000 per episode) which probably about 1% of the total cost it takes to produce an anime. Funimation, is looking for shows to license, dub and physically release on DVD and Blu-Ray. An expensive process, but one with bigger margins. Crunchyroll can't directly compete against a home distributor like Funimation, because their offer will be substantially higher..


Note that the $1,000 to $2,000 figure was from an industry insider six months ago. Crunchyroll's subscription membership has doubled since then, so the Minimum Guarantee ~ which is based on expected royalties ~ could easily be double that now.

The higher the Crunchyroll subscriber base climbs, the higher the share that royalties generated by Crunchyroll will take in the show budget. Since international rights income are only expected to generate from 5% to 20% of a shows revenues, Crunchyroll should now be getting into the range where it starts having a significant effect on total international rights income.

One effect we have probably already seen is the Sentai effect. People have noticed how aggressively Sentai has been licensing, and all but two or three TAN exclusives have been streaming on Crunchyroll.

Sentai doesn't decide whether to do a hybrid (dub and sub) release or a sub-only release until after they have acquired the series. And for sub-only releases, the home video royalties could easily be just 5% of the total series budget. Which means that revenue from sublicensing to Crunchyroll could easily be 20% of the license income generated by the sub-only releases. And while Sentai's own returns are speculative, Crunchyroll's base royalty payment to them is a guaranteed minimum amount.

So sublicensing to Crunchyroll both gives them audience size and demographic information to help decide with license to dub and which license to not dub, but for the licenses that are not worth dubbing, it reduces the risk of the license. And that may be one reason why they have been able to be as aggressive as they have been, in their strategy of licensing it first, and deciding whether to dub it later.


hpulley wrote: Tweets from industry insiders are BS as we can now see. Until @anime_shingeki or the MBS site itself confirms it, they are apparently open for business for streaming.

https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki

http://www.mbs.jp/shingeki/


The problem is reaching overly broad conclusions from those tweets. The base tweet for the "Titan won't be streaming" conclusion was (1) an observation that it wasn't observed being pushed hard at either of two trade shows, (2) no rumors about it getting picked up being heard and (3) an expectation that it wouldn't be picked up late.

The fact that a series is not being pushed for streaming at a trade show could easily mean that negotiations are already under way. The fact that no rumors about it being picked up were circulating could easily mean that the people in the company negotiating for the for it in North America isn't spreading rumors about it.

The two pieces of information are informative, but they do not on their own support the broad conclusion drawn from it ~ that sounds much more like a hunch, and hunches are sometimes wrong.
49304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 4/7/13
I think the estimates are that an episode costs about $100000 to make so $1000-2000 is indeed only %1-2 of the costs. Late night anime is still heavily reliant on merchandise sales, especially the discs themselves though North American disc releases are much cheaper aside from Aniplex of America which is similar to the imports.
Riktol 
19182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/7/13
So the stuff I will be trying out this season so far is (goes to check queue):
Majestic Prince (was a lot less serious than I was expecting)
Flowers of Evil
The Severing Crime Edge (just watched 1st episode)
Sparrows Hotel
Mushibugyo
Valverave the Liberator
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Zettai Boei Leviatan
Muromi-san

Then I can't seem to get any of the following:
Red Data Girl
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Attack on Titan
Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I see that Hataraku Maou-sama! has been licenced by Funimation, so is there a chance of someone picking up the UK streaming rights?
I've seen a bunch of comments about Attack on Titan not being streamed which sucks (unless someone gets it late), but I can't find anything about Red Data Girl, Does anyone know what happened with it?
The ANN page for Space Battleship Yamato 2199 lists Laura Wyrick as the subtitle editior for this show, does that indicate that it will be streamed? The source says this "Work done for ADEC/Yomiura TV; please contact them to verify.". She seems to have done some shows which are on Crunchyroll, so would that mean that Crunchyroll will get it? I don't know what the process is for these things so if anyone could clarify that would be nice.
21528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/7/13

Riktol wrote:

I see that Hataraku Maou-sama! has been licenced by Funimation, so is there a chance of someone picking up the UK streaming rights?


A chance so infinitely small it's effectively zero. Funimation don't do UK streaming, and even if AoD are still around, they've never had Funimation sub-licenses

49304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 4/7/13

Riktol wrote:



Red Data Girl is still Missing In Action. I still hope Crunchyroll gets it (late). And Attack on Titan too though I have a feeling Funimation might get it if anybody does though Sentai/Crunchyroll is still a possibility (hope hope hope).
The Wise Wizard
75080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 4/7/13
Regarding Attack on Titan, it streams on niconico.jp (beginning April 10 if I am reading correctly), so it seems odd if they were resistant to licensing it for streaming to other markets, especially on a delayed basis (i.e., after it had aired on all stations in Japan as is the case with niconico.jp).

That said, I remember that Index II streamed on niconico.jp but not in the U.S., but in the past there have typically been 1-2 series per season that was true of (although not last season, as I recall).



Riktol wrote:
The ANN page for Space Battleship Yamato 2199 lists Laura Wyrick as the subtitle editior for this show, does that indicate that it will be streamed? The source says this "Work done for ADEC/Yomiura TV; please contact them to verify.". She seems to have done some shows which are on Crunchyroll, so would that mean that Crunchyroll will get it? I don't know what the process is for these things so if anyone could clarify that would be nice.

If CR manages to get Yamato 2199, I may have to call out my SnoopyDance.gif again.

49304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 4/7/13
Attack on Titan confirmed as 25 episodes if you want to update the count:

http://shingeki.tv/products/bd_01.php
33345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/7/13

TheAncientOne wrote:
If CR manages to get Yamato 2199, I may have to call out my SnoopyDance.gif again.


Oh hell I'll come up with a myriad of dance gifs.. Hell.. I think if you hear a scream.. that's me!

66648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 4/7/13

hpulley wrote: I think the estimates are that an episode costs about $100000 to make so $1000-2000 is indeed only %1-2 of the costs. Late night anime is still heavily reliant on merchandise sales, especially the discs themselves though North American disc releases are much cheaper aside from Aniplex of America which is similar to the imports.

The $1,000 to $2,000 was MG's when Crunchyroll had 100,000 subscribers. Crunchyroll's subscriber base doubled in the last six months. And those are minimum guaranteed royalties, so whether or not the MG has risen in the past two seasons, the total royalties paid out will have risen.

But with overseas license income being anywhere from 0% to 20% of the budget, it makes sense that international streaming will be having an impact on international licensing first. If the subscriber base were to grow to 1m, which is doubling membership two and a half more times, then streaming income would start to rival DVD royalty income on home video licenses.
35531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 4/7/13
Some info on the Kousaku Shima anime that comes out later this Spring
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-07/shima-kosaku-manga-lead-hosts-asia-economy-tv-show

It having live-action parts is interesting. Since it's a NHK anime, Crunchyroll getting it is a slim chance at best.
380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/7/13

hpulley wrote:

Attack on Titan confirmed as 25 episodes if you want to update the count:

http://shingeki.tv/products/bd_01.php


Not exactly a confirmation. Although looking at number of episodes released through DVD/BD will usually be a good educated guess and be correct. Numbers has changed before when seasons and volumes were added to series that has no actual confirmed numbers.
First  Prev  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.