First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
We can turn cows into humans
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13
I don't mean you and me of course, but scientists. Just like how with chemistry we can turn one liquid into another liquid by restructuring the protons and atoms. To be fair to the cows, we can also turn a human into a cow.

It works like this. You go to your local Mcdonalds and order a hamburger, and perhaps a milkshake too if you feel like having a lot of fun. You then take nanobots and make them restructure the meat or milkshake's protons and rewire them/restructure them into a different component. Then you replicate the component and change more things about it. Think of it like tuning a guitar to make different sounds.

Eventually what you will end up with, is a heartbeat, and then after that, consciousness, and further along, self awareness. It's sort of like building things with legos or k'nex builders. In a few hundred years, Michio Kaku, one of the most highly respected Theoretical physicists, thinks that we may have something called the replicator. If you have a phone, go ahead and turn it into a roasted turkey, your firstborn son, or even a pillow if you want.

What do you guys think of this?

Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13
I can't just restructure matter at the atomic level, I can also do it at the sub-atomic level and the energetic level. I don't need technology to restructure myself and everything around me.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Ok. Why would anyone do this?
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

mel1844 wrote:

Ok. Why would anyone do this?


It hasn't been done to create a human that I know of. But similar tests have been done to test the ability to restructure protons. But hey, scientists can turn water into wine. But you don't need nanotechnology level science to do that, even though it isn't 100% real. Although with nanotechnology, all of the components will be exactly that of wine. It will be 100% pure real wine.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
This is Alchemy.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

netdisorder wrote:


mel1844 wrote:

Ok. Why would anyone do this?


It hasn't been done to create a human that I know of. But similar tests have been done to test the ability to restructure protons. But hey, scientists can turn water into wine. But you don't need nanotechnology level science to do that, even though it isn't 100% real. Although with nanotechnology, all of the components will be exactly that of wine. It will be 100% pure real wine.


I can understand why people would want to re-create humans, but I somehow find doing such a thing as wrong and a violation of natural life.

Ah well.

Thanks for the info, by the way.
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

-Vega- wrote:

This is Alchemy.


Well in a sense, practical alchemy is the predecessor to modern chemistry.
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

mel1844 wrote:


netdisorder wrote:


mel1844 wrote:

Ok. Why would anyone do this?


It hasn't been done to create a human that I know of. But similar tests have been done to test the ability to restructure protons. But hey, scientists can turn water into wine. But you don't need nanotechnology level science to do that, even though it isn't 100% real. Although with nanotechnology, all of the components will be exactly that of wine. It will be 100% pure real wine.


I can understand why people would want to re-create humans, but I somehow find doing such a thing as wrong and a violation of natural life.

Ah well.

Thanks for the info, by the way.


I don't like the idea of it either, and I don't see a reason for us to go that far. But I thought I would share because I found it simply fascinating. It's like learning that magic is REAL. We will all probably be shooting fireballs and waves of energy out of our hands in a thousand years with the way we progress today. Perhaps even that is too "basic" compared to what we have yet to understand.

But where I disagree with you is that I don't believe there is such a thing as violation of natural law. Nature bends and changes itself all of the time, and that is how we came to be. Every action we make on nature is an extension of its own manifestation. The very fact that we can alter nature is why it is also alright to do so. Laws are made to be broken.

Now I can see how you would use my logic against me and say, "hey, but rape is bad", and well yeah, it is. But turning a frisbee into a bowl of spaghetti never hurt or traumatized somebody for life.
35482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Turning inanimate objects into other inanimate objects = Okay. That's pretty cool.

Turning living beings into anything other than what they are = Not okay. Most of humanity feels uncomfortable with this.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/2/13

netdisorder wrote:


mel1844 wrote:


netdisorder wrote:


mel1844 wrote:

Ok. Why would anyone do this?


It hasn't been done to create a human that I know of. But similar tests have been done to test the ability to restructure protons. But hey, scientists can turn water into wine. But you don't need nanotechnology level science to do that, even though it isn't 100% real. Although with nanotechnology, all of the components will be exactly that of wine. It will be 100% pure real wine.


I can understand why people would want to re-create humans, but I somehow find doing such a thing as wrong and a violation of natural life.

Ah well.

Thanks for the info, by the way.


I don't like the idea of it either, and I don't see a reason for us to go that far. But I thought I would share because I found it simply fascinating. It's like learning that magic is REAL. We will all probably be shooting fireballs and waves of energy out of our hands in a thousand years with the way we progress today. Perhaps even that is too "basic" compared to what we have yet to understand.

But where I disagree with you is that I don't believe there is such a thing as violation of natural law. Nature bends and changes itself all of the time, and that is how we came to be. Every action we make on nature is an extension of its own manifestation. The very fact that we can alter nature is why it is also alright to do so. Laws are made to be broken.

Now I can see how you would use my logic against me and say, "hey, but rape is bad", and well yeah, it is. But turning a frisbee into a bowl of spaghetti never hurt or traumatized somebody for life.



I don't believe that such a law exists either, my point was really that it's something against the natural way of things.

As in, we all have this idea of 'normality', and while the idea might differ between people, I'm sure no one has ever thought it natural/normal to turn the big red cow in the hills into Michael Jackson.
26739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13

netdisorder wrote:

I don't mean you and me of course, but scientists. Just like how with chemistry we can turn one liquid into another liquid by restructuring the protons and atoms. To be fair to the cows, we can also turn a human into a cow.


Using chemistry to turn liquified burger into human tissue is called eating. It is true that cows could eat humans and turn them into cow parts but usually when humans are fed to livestock it's to pigs. I learned this last bit from the movie Snatch.

However, I can guarantee you that bioengineers are not capable of creating a human (or even single-celled organisms) from scratch, not with our current technology. There have been some viroids (virus genetic material sans protein coat) created from scratch, which is cool because the GATC combination spelled out the name of the creators in Morse code or something. But we are nowhere near fancy enough to make a person. Hell, we aren't even fancy enough to know how Prozac works. We also haven't yet created nanobots, although enzymes (present in all living things and RNA viruses) could be considered nanobots, as they are technically protein micromachines.

If you are really interested in bioengineering then you should pursue a degree in molecular biology or biotechnology. It's a fascinating field to be in, and there is endless work if you can get funding for it. I do neuropharmacological research and need to use molecular techniques to look for presence of biomarkers in the rat brain tissue, but I never use cell culture so won't be spelling my name in anyone's DNA.

**(edit) Also there is no reason to create humans synthetically so long as getting drunk and fooling around in the living room is still fun.
**(edit #2) Water cannot be turned into wine. Water is H2O and wine contains a bunch of organic molecules that contain carbon, nitrogen, phosphates, and many trace elements. The closest we can come to turning water into wine is using yeasts that grow on grape skins to ferment the sugars in grape juice into alcohols and other waste products using glycolysis. (BTW Goldfish use a similar technique, but I doubt that drinking from the fishbowl would be as good). I totally trust vintners over chemists any day when it comes to making alcohol. The #1 rule in chemistry is NEVER eat or drink ANYTHING in the lab!
37168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13

mhibicke wrote:


netdisorder wrote:

I don't mean you and me of course, but scientists. Just like how with chemistry we can turn one liquid into another liquid by restructuring the protons and atoms. To be fair to the cows, we can also turn a human into a cow.


Using chemistry to turn liquified burger into human tissue is called eating. It is true that cows could eat humans and turn them into cow parts but usually when humans are fed to livestock it's to pigs. I learned this last bit from the movie Snatch.

However, I can guarantee you that bioengineers are not capable of creating a human (or even single-celled organisms) from scratch, not with our current technology. There have been some viroids (virus genetic material sans protein coat) created from scratch, which is cool because the GATC combination spelled out the name of the creators in Morse code or something. But we are nowhere near fancy enough to make a person. Hell, we aren't even fancy enough to know how Prozac works. We also haven't yet created nanobots, although enzymes (present in all living things and RNA viruses) could be considered nanobots, as they are technically protein micromachines.

If you are really interested in bioengineering then you should pursue a degree in molecular biology or biotechnology. It's a fascinating field to be in, and there is endless work if you can get funding for it. I do neuropharmacological research and need to use molecular techniques to look for presence of biomarkers in the rat brain tissue, but I never use cell culture so won't be spelling my name in anyone's DNA.

**(edit) Also there is no reason to create humans synthetically so long as getting drunk and fooling around in the living room is still fun.
**(edit #2) Water cannot be turned into wine. Water is H2O and wine contains a bunch of organic molecules that contain carbon, nitrogen, phosphates, and many trace elements. The closest we can come to turning water into wine is using yeasts that grow on grape skins to ferment the sugars in grape juice into alcohols and other waste products using glycolysis. (BTW Goldfish use a similar technique, but I doubt that drinking from the fishbowl would be as good). I totally trust vintners over chemists any day when it comes to making alcohol. The #1 rule in chemistry is NEVER eat or drink ANYTHING in the lab!


You had me at "Viroids" but that second edit sealed the deal. What say we get drunk and fool around in the living room?
27467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tórshavn
Online
Posted 1/1/13
Lmao xD Make cows into humans o.o On the science-side of this, I think it's cool, but on the other hand, I'm just like wtf xD
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/1/13 , edited 1/1/13
Come on people be more interesting and don't be disappointingly dumb.
4427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/1/13
Cool. That is all.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.