First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Why do people engage in self-destructive behavior?
12377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/25/13 , edited 4/25/13
Because they provide pleasure, unlike our everyday dull lives in which we have annoying responsibilities.

I get the feeling that a lot of people think that certain things are 'bad' because they are fun. That's just plain old-fashioned and ridiculous. Aren't we allowed to enjoy ourselves at all?

These things are just...things to do. It's only when you engage in them too much in a reckless manner that problems arise. Gambling, gaming, impulse shopping, sleeping, overworking, eating unhealthily, etc. are all very bad if you allow them to take over your life. However, I won't condone occasional Vegas trips, the useless purchases you make on your birthday, pulling a double shift since your coworker can't, or eating 3 double cheeseburgers one day, for instance. Everything lies in moderation. Don't overdo it. The dose makes the poison. What makes a few social drinks, a tug of pot on a fishing trip, or a passionate night with a love interest any different?

I get the impression that engaging in potentially risky behaviors is seen as wrong by the OP. Life is full of risks. You can't just play nanny and try to protect everyone, nor will anyone stay for very long to be over-sheltered. There is no real enjoyment without risk. Our comfort zones numb us and we will seek out new things naturally. At the end of the day, we're just creatures. Nothing in our physiology makes is, in essence, any different from the animals around us since we are all made of the same stuff, flesh, bone. We want to enjoy ourselves and we have a drive to do so. If anything, going against this drive is unnatural.

Would you rather live for 100 years doing nothing but being a 'good boy' and a shut-in or would you rather live until 50 doing everything you love and are passionate about? I'd prefer the latter, IMO. Heck, make it 40 and I'd still take that route. Time spent alive is not the same as time spent living.
Posted 4/26/13
It's fun to watch
10151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
I see it as a model of pleasure/torment

Too much of anything in what you have stated would provide negative outcomes. I drink, but never binge. And the sex? I'll wait until I find a soul mate.
3523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

lordseth23 wrote:

Just because you are hard-wired to have sex doesn't mean you should devote your time to pursuing opportunities with random people or view pornographic content. There is no need for this destructive behavior that leads to rape and unwanted pregnancies. If we as a society care at all for women, then we need to discourage this crude behavior and emphasize that sex is not a right, but a privilege.


Sex is neither a right nor a privilege. it's a natural and common means of reproduction and social bonding for many organisms including humans.

There is nothing destructive about Sex. There are however STDs and other diseases that are communicable through the act of intercourse that can be destructive to ones health... If your argument was that unprotected sex with a partner that has a communicable disease is destructive you might actually have an argument...
Posted 5/6/13
Because Drake came out with Yolo so now people are yolo"ing" it up nah mean ...
They think ok, I only have one life so why not ..
Why be miserable and depressed when I can have fun and jump around .. fuck it.
13622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 5/8/13
Because our brain is addicted to immediate pleasure...
... Of course most of us can resist these temptation for the sake of long term rewards in the future...
Posted 5/8/13


SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS!





EVERYBODY!
29425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Hughesville, Penn...
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

Iainfixie wrote:



SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS!





EVERYBODY!


Sounds good.
Posted 5/10/13 , edited 5/10/13
Some:
- Guilt
- Seeking infamy (the reaction)
- Attention ^
5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/10/13 , edited 5/10/13
Mankind, In General, From Adam onward has been alienated from God, doing their " Own Thing " as the saying goes.

Mainly why people engage in STUPID behavior that gets them hurt or killed, is because of peer pressure, needing an escape from work or the realities of life, some people get a High, or a thirll out of risking their lives in ways that are self-destructive, They'll tell you, " It's my body, I'll do whatever I want with it. "

Let's start with Drinking: Whats wrong with binge drinking?

(Please, If you have your own Bible Translation or Version, Please refer to it).

How would you answer the following questions? Place a ✔ in the box next to your response.

Do any of your peers engage in underage or binge drinking?

□ Yes □ No

Have your peers ever pressured you to drink alcohol?

□ Yes □ No

Have you ever been involved in binge drinking?

□ Yes □ No

WHAT is binge drinking? Some define it as simply drinking to get drunk. A report by the U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism tried to be more specific. It said that binge drinking is “typically defined as consuming five or more drinks in a row for men, and four or more drinks in a row for women.”

If you have been tempted either to drink to excess or to drink in spite of being under the legal age, you’re not alone. Many youths abuse alcohol.* But ask yourself, ‘What do I really know about why I want to drink and what effects alcohol can have on me?’ For example, how would you answer these true-or-false questions? Place a ✔ in the box next to your response, and then consider the facts.

a. Teens drink only because they like the taste of alcohol.

□ True □ False

b. Because they are younger and fitter, teens face fewer bad side effects from alcohol abuse than do adults.

□ True □ False

c. Binge drinking can’t kill you.

□ True □ False

d. The Bible condemns all use of alcohol.

□ True □ False

e. Poor health is the only consequence of binge drinking.

□ True □ False

a. Teens drink only because they like the taste of alcohol. Answer—False. In an alcohol-awareness survey taken in Australia, 36 percent of the young ones questioned said that they drank primarily to fit in at social activities. In the United States, a survey found that 66 percent said that they drank because of peer pressure. However, more than half also said that they drank to try to forget problems.

b. Because they are younger and fitter, teens face fewer bad side effects from alcohol abuse than do adults. Answer—False. “New research suggests that young drinkers are courting danger,” says an article in Discover magazine. Why? “Teens who drink excessively may be destroying significant amounts of mental capacity.”

Chronic alcohol consumption is also associated with increased acne, premature wrinkling of the skin, weight gain, alcohol dependency, and drug addiction. It can also wreak havoc on the nervous system, the liver, and the heart.

c. Binge drinking can’t kill you. Answer—False. Excessive amounts of alcohol deprive the brain of oxygen; vital bodily functions can begin to shut down. Symptoms may include vomiting, unconsciousness, and slow or irregular breathing. In some cases death can result.

d. The Bible condemns all use of alcohol. Answer—False. The Bible does not condemn drinking alcohol, nor is it against young people having a good time. (Psalm 104:15; Ecclesiastes 10:19) Of course, you need to be of legal age to drink.—Romans 13:1.

However, the Bible does warn against overdrinking. “Wine is a ridiculer, intoxicating liquor is boisterous, and everyone going astray by it is not wise,” says Proverbs 20:1. Alcohol can make you act in a ridiculous way! True, it may momentarily bring you pleasure, but if you overindulge, it “bites just like a serpent,” leaving you with a host of problems.—Proverbs 23:32.

e. Poor health is the only consequence of binge drinking. Answer—False. If you become drunk, you make yourself more vulnerable to all kinds of assault—even rape. At the same time, you might well become a danger to others, acting in a way that is completely out of character for you. The Bible warns that if you overdrink, “you will not be able to think or speak clearly.” (Proverbs 23:33, Today’s English Version) In short, you’ll make yourself look foolish! Other painful consequences can include ruined friendships, poor performance at school and work, a criminal record, and poverty.—Proverbs 23:21.

Most important, consider the spiritual damage overdrinking can cause. Jehovah God wants you to serve him with “your whole mind”—not a mind needlessly damaged by overindulgence in alcohol. (Matthew 22:37) God’s Word condemns not only “excesses with wine” but also “drinking matches.” (1 Peter 4:3) Therefore, engaging in binge drinking runs counter to the will of our Creator and will prevent you from enjoying a close friendship with God.

What Choice Will You Make?

Will you simply follow your peers who abuse alcohol? “Do you not know,” states the Bible, “that if you keep presenting yourselves to anyone as slaves to obey him, you are slaves of him because you obey him?” (Romans 6:16) Do you really want to become a slave either to your peers or to alcohol?

What should you do if binge drinking has caught you in its snare? Get help immediately by speaking to a parent or a mature friend. Go to Jehovah God in prayer, and beg for his help. After all, he is “a help that is readily to be found during distresses.” (Psalm 46:1) Since binge drinking and underage drinking often result from peer pressure, you may need to make substantial changes in your choice of friends.* Making such changes won’t be easy, but with Jehovah’s help you can succeed.
Posted 5/10/13 , edited 5/10/13


Is that all you do? Regurgitate nonsense from that stupid book? Go preach elsewhere, this isn't the place for it.

Your questions and answers have more to do with common sense and less to do with magic sky wizard lunacy.
FFS. I'd rather not see christian propaganda all over an anime forum, especially from a 54 year old who enjoys strike witches. (god save the little children eh?)

Listen kiddos, if you're gonna drink be smart about it, and be safe. Don't drink/smoke/drug because a "friend" is wanting you to do it. If it's not for you, it's not for you. If you do drink, never feel ashamed to call a parent if you really need help, being grounded only lasts a short time, but death is forever.

Don't get into cars with someone who is driving drunk, and don't just do shit because it seems "cool". I drink, and enjoy it. Occasionally I drink to excess in certain situations, events, etc. However, if you're intelligent and do shit in moderation you won't be destroying yourself or being a hopeless drunk. I don't do any illicit drugs (Pot, Molly, etc) so I can't comment on that, but moderation is key.

Too little is fine, too much is bad.

Don't listen to nonsensical religious mumbo jumbo and think for yourself and be smart about it.
5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
Lain, to paraphrase an answer that one of the apostles, in answer to a damand by the Religous Leaders of his day to quit preaching or teaching about Jesus, gave this reply: In answer Peter and the [other] apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men "

And that is my answer to you!!
Posted 5/10/13

AcadGlade wrote:

Lain, to paraphrase an answer that one of the apostles, in answer to a damand by the Religous Leaders of his day to quit preaching or teaching about Jesus, gave this reply: In answer Peter and the [other] apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men "

And that is my answer to you!!


Matthew 6:5- "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Your own book tells you to knock it off.
It's annoying and offensive to those of us who choose to be without religion of any kind.
I would appreciate seeing answers not tainted by the tyranny of some old book written to serve random royal familie's purposes.
Thanks.


god isn't a ruler, god isn't anything.
12485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
These types of things feel good and as far as I'm concerned there are other things I could be doing that are a lot worse for me. I smoke and drink with friends and it makes things more fun. the way I see it, I'm not killing myself any faster than I would if I would frequent mcdonalds like so many people do. As far as those who oppose my way of life, you can live your life the way you want, and I intend to live mine the way I want. Don't preach to me and I won't preach to you.
5145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Covina, California
Offline
Posted 5/10/13

Iainfixie wrote:


AcadGlade wrote:

Lain, to paraphrase an answer that one of the apostles, in answer to a damand by the Religous Leaders of his day to quit preaching or teaching about Jesus, gave this reply: In answer Peter and the [other] apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men "

And that is my answer to you!!


Matthew 6:5- "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Your own book tells you to knock it off.
It's annoying and offensive to those of us who choose to be without religion of any kind.
I would appreciate seeing answers not tainted by the tyranny of some old book written to serve random royal familie's purposes.
Thanks.


god isn't a ruler, god isn't anything.

I don't pray as the hypocrites do, Dummy, you completely misapplied scripture, since you didn't even understand the context of it, Jesus was referring to the scribes because they would do this so as to seem righteous before men, instead of praying in private or out of the public eye, There is nothing wrong about about helping people to see there are alternatives to quitting destructive behavior and if it is offer up scriptural encouragement, then I see no problem with it.

And that is what I was doing by posting, Trolling me isn't going to change a thing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.