Yay mods, Nay mods. Dup threads?
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08 , edited 1/23/08
Dear respectable mods,




As a rule of thumb... Don't create threads out of boredom.

You might as well share your comments here:

What do you do when you're bored?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=8070




~ Locked



I sincerely fail to see how a thread discussion on what IS boredom and how people start getting bored, or why people feel bored, could possibly be a duplicate of what you DO when you're bored.

This is the second time I have had a thread closed because there were some words in the topic that was the same as another thread. The first one was a discussion on the nature of existence, and it was closed because it was assumed to be a debate on whether God existed.

I'd like to take the time to remind everyone that the croll site, along with the forums, is a place for people to have fun. I am aware of the rules put into place to ensure the enjoyment of everyone here. But I still fail to see why duplicate threads are against the rules in the first place.

While I can see why 5 or 6 people posting identical threads at the same time can be annoying, if a duplicate of a thread is posted a while separate from the original, it can actually help manifest discussions. Considering some of the threads are dreadfully long on here, and people usually dont take the time to actually read anything more than an accumulation of anywhere close to 10 or more pages, if a continuation was attempted, people may be oblivious to some of the things others have already stated in the original thread.

Another point is, no thread is going to discuss everything under the sun about any topic. And all users under the sun isn't going to read the same topic. A new thread discussing the same ideas a reasonable time apart from the original discussion might be appropriate for new ideas to be formulated, as well as for new users to enter into the discussion.

That's enough for now, you can agree with me or disagree with me. You can just lock this thread or take what I've said into consideration, or both. Either way, this is what I believe and I think its reasonable.

Someone slightly irritated and very tired.
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

n_n303 wrote:

uuuuuuuuuugggh enough already! x.X

~reported


for what? what rule did I break exactly? o.o
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

n_n303 wrote:


excalion wrote:

for what? what rule did I break exactly? o.o


"the stupidity rule"
where one makes idiotic threads just because he is bored, and plays a game knowing it will get locked.

honestly excalion you're a smart kid, i can see that. I'm not calling you stupid. But you know the thread is going to get locked but you do it anyway for your own amusement. I think you just want to start a fight with the mods just to get attention.. which is pretty stupid...(>____>);

edit:
you know the rules and you're trying to find a looppool (however thats spelt)


=(

This thread was not made because I was bored, and its not really a game.

And I honestly dont like the dup rule, I've been thinking about posting a contest to that rule for a while now, now just because of my own threads getting locked/deleted, but because of absolutely harmless threads I've seen get brutally shot down because there was a similar thread like 6 months ago.

I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone, I'm trying to make croll a better place, and I assumed it was a democracy, so I'm speaking my mind.
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

Your_Typical_Friend wrote:

............................................................dumbass


its posts like THESE that SHOULD be deleted imo -.-
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

n_n303 wrote:


excalion wrote:
=(

This thread was not made because I was bored, and its not really a game.

And I honestly dont like the dup rule, I've been thinking about posting a contest to that rule for a while now, now just because of my own threads getting locked/deleted, but because of absolutely harmless threads I've seen get brutally shot down because there was a similar thread like 6 months ago.

I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone, I'm trying to make croll a better place, and I assumed it was a democracy, so I'm speaking my mind.


i understand you have trouble with the rules. but honestly making threads against the rules isnt going to help change anything. Instead of making threads about going against the rules and knowing it will get locked, why dont you just PM shinji


hmm, good idea *takes your advice*
1235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Serbia
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

excalion wrote:

Dear respectable mods,




As a rule of thumb... Don't create threads out of boredom.

You might as well share your comments here:

What do you do when you're bored?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=8070




~ Locked



I sincerely fail to see how a thread discussion on what IS boredom and how people start getting bored, or why people feel bored, could possibly be a duplicate of what you DO when you're bored.

This is the second time I have had a thread closed because there were some words in the topic that was the same as another thread. The first one was a discussion on the nature of existence, and it was closed because it was assumed to be a debate on whether God existed.

I'd like to take the time to remind everyone that the croll site, along with the forums, is a place for people to have fun. I am aware of the rules put into place to ensure the enjoyment of everyone here. But I still fail to see why duplicate threads are against the rules in the first place.

While I can see why 5 or 6 people posting identical threads at the same time can be annoying, if a duplicate of a thread is posted a while separate from the original, it can actually help manifest discussions. Considering some of the threads are dreadfully long on here, and people usually dont take the time to actually read anything more than an accumulation of anywhere close to 10 or more pages, if a continuation was attempted, people may be oblivious to some of the things others have already stated in the original thread.

Another point is, no thread is going to discuss everything under the sun about any topic. And all users under the sun isn't going to read the same topic. A new thread discussing the same ideas a reasonable time apart from the original discussion might be appropriate for new ideas to be formulated, as well as for new users to enter into the discussion.

That's enough for now, you can agree with me or disagree with me. You can just lock this thread or take what I've said into consideration, or both. Either way, this is what I believe and I think its reasonable.

Someone slightly irritated and very tired.


Why did you create this???????And i agree with (sorry i don't remember your name) the person who responded first.
Posted 1/23/08
i think its funny saying dont creat a forum out of boredom when everyone comes online when there bored
if we had better things to do we would be out doing them but no were bored and inside watching anime on cr
and makeing topics to talk about all come from the boredom of not haveing anything to do
i dont blame you that mods piss you off most of them are just uptight losers its not like there getting paid for this they have less of a life then you so what do they do when bored deleate forum posts & topics to make them feel like there doing there mod job
we all need to just get back to watching the anime drams or tv shows we came here for

this was not directed at anyone mod but at all mods on any web site


and its called loop hole lol you dont jump in the looppool you jump threw the loop hole
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

kitanaikoneko wrote:

i think its funny saying dont creat a forum out of boredom when everyone comes online when there bored
if we had better things to do we would be out doing them but no were bored and inside


case in point(even though I didn't make this point, I was thinking about it)
20263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The centroid of a...
Offline
Posted 1/23/08

n_n303 wrote:


excalion wrote:
=(

This thread was not made because I was bored, and its not really a game.

And I honestly dont like the dup rule, I've been thinking about posting a contest to that rule for a while now, now just because of my own threads getting locked/deleted, but because of absolutely harmless threads I've seen get brutally shot down because there was a similar thread like 6 months ago.


btw,

ok so you made this thread because you werent bored, but what about all your other threads? Plus i dont think dups should exist, They would take up too much bandwidth (imagin having 5 threads the same topic asking "OMG WHATS LOVE?!" ) how annoying would that shit be?


I dont imagine they would take up that much bandwidth actually.

Also, it would be annoying if it was all posted within like 5 minutes of each other, which I mentioned in my OP.
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 1/23/08
Sigh... If you're bored, you've got an entire forum to play with...



You could have just posted your long comments of your "boredom" in the thread I redirected to you.

And that's what I said. I didn't say your thread was a duplicate... I said your topic can be placed in an existing thread.


If you want to clarify anything with me, send me a PM. Don't create a new topic in the forums.






~ Locked
23685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 1/23/08
Actually, sorry to dissapoint. It's not ed who replies, whom I'm sure n_n303 was patiently waiting for. Yeah, sorry about that. >_>

Next, I might see a valid point of his frustration, just being misdirected into a public area instead in the form of a personal PM. Therefore, I do not appreciate semi flame or what I call 'jumping on somebody's case' because it's not necessarily a right thing to do under the forum rules.

The reason why duplicate threads are not covered as acceptable, is up to your creative ability to envision what possible outcomes it can cause. The assumption is that CR has virtually zero limits being an entity on the web is strong here. I agree that long threads does take away some of the 'excitement' level as compared to seeing a new thread for the first time, but it's also because the split / merge function is not available to moderators as this moment.

I hope you've considered and have come to the conclusion that CR is working within limits of the moderator's own given timetable. As job posts are voluntary in the first place, there is no particular obligation apart from one's own idea of how much time and effort they should churn into moderating the site, regardless of their job post, forum, chat, or media. As it turns out, we ALWAYS have problems with overflowing spam, unnecessary threads, unnecessary posts. For example, just a few hours ago, I was clearing 370 mod reports, afterwhich another 30 sprang up happily again.

If you cannot think of any possible reasons as to why mods highly discourage duplicated threads, then I'll give some elaboration:

- Duplicate threads, have no particular pattern, or set regulations to be classified as a 'duplicate' other than people's own perceptions of whether that given thread is similar to another thread that was created before. Not the best system, but it's something to work with. Even if people do not necessarily point it out as an obligatory task to aid mods, it's their first instinct to go 'Hey! I've seen that thread elsewhere... where should I post? I've already made a long post there =( '.

Either they post again, in that new thread, or they copy their long chunk right into the other thread. So now, there exists a few copies of the same thread, and the same posts.

Another option is to basically ignore. People usually make their first post in a thread and depending on their own personal interest level, decide whether to go back to the thread to monitor the thread. Often times that does NOT happen. So you can't say it's closed to new posters, because unless someone makes a very keen attempt to KEEP following his thread (usually thread author), there will be influx of new people posting once and that's about it.

I'm not sure how you'll like the idea of seeing at least 10 similar threads that you've nicely created. Some people do consider about what kind of threads they want to bring up, and we appreciate that effort. Others mainly post something that strikes them on the spot, eg. 'OMG WHAT DID YOU THINK OF MAKOTO IN THIS THIS THIS?! CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!1!1!' And that thread is clearly under School Days or something. It would very likely cause a situation whereby several threads of the same kind exist, and all of them receive a few replies. Those who are keen, would be faced with a dilemma, and should they really wish to continue conversation, their instinct would be to go for the highest reply thread, or the one that sounds most official, that is, if they do not already start creating their own.

Avoiding dups encourages creativity.

Avoiding dups gives people less excuse to spam for points, to which some have stupidly confessed.

Avoiding dups save space, time and sets a standards on the forum.

Avoiding dups look neater.

Avoiding dups encourage solidarity and semi-forced large group interaction instead of the idea of 'individualism', (ie. My thread is better than yours. >_>)

I hope that's enough. i have got to close this thread.

You must be logged in to post.