First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Illegal links for anime
1751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
I used youtube to watch anime because they did not have it in uk. Anime on demand hasn't got much selection and funimation don't do a UK version.
What's even crazier is there is virtually no anime on itunes over here, and I would jump at the chance to have it on my ipod/ipad.

That's why I tend to rent with love film, CR, buy them for bluray/dvd here and I've even bought them from the US which is still region locked.
I found a legal electronic shop in Peterborough where the bluray/dvd players are region free. Thus even if a show will never come out in the uk, I can still enjoy it.
i.e. like haruhi film and fmab was axed for bluray, this way I could still enjoy them while it being legal, via buying and shipping them from the states.

I'd love them to suddenly release anime for itunes, especially in hd. That way they don't have the same problems like producing disks and it can be watched on multiple devices. Like Justice league, I was saddened to find it was no longer on tv and to add to that blow they never finished the dvds which was the 1st couple of eps only. Thus itunes had the whole show and in hd, which I never got to see in that quality.

Ultimately though it's down to the legal people, because once it is available in the country, most of the illegal activity will stop because they can get it properly. I'm not naive to say piracy will cease, yet a lot of the activity will go to buying the legal versions. Which in turn will prove that there is enough fanbase to release on dvd/bluray or at least to buy from the US.
mipegg 
20400 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
#Basically as above. I physically cant buy the series I want to in the UK, I like having the physical disks and its just impossible to get most things. Even on CR lots of anime licenses dont include us so we get a bit shafted paying the same and getting less.
28050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Melbourne, Australia
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
I'm gonna say Anime is pretty expensive to buy physically compared to a CR License for example the Clannad Boxset on Blu-Ray cost as much as a 1 Year membership to CR. I don't mind supporting CR as they do fund the anime industry, I just wish there weren't so many region restrictions, but still on my second year of CR Membership
9256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 1/8/13
FUNImation in Norway:


There's animes I want to watch right away that is only on FUNI, I refuse to wait many months for the dvd/bluray to come out.
Not FUNI's fault, but the copyright holders I guess. If they don't want to make more money, screw them.

I'll bet that CR also blocks some animes in Norway.

I'll buy SOME animes on dvd, manga etc when I get an income. But I'm NOT gonna pay for animes that might just be crap, that's just a waste of cash.
For me to buy anything, it has to be overall great. I buy the tv series Fringe when it comes out on bluray, I got the first 3 seasons.

Hate me if you want, I couldn't care less.
18180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/9/13


I don't think any anime is restricted to a certain country, at least not as a premium member. Never used Crunchyroll for free, would go insane if i had to watch all of the ads. + HD is nice..
The Wise Wizard
76601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/9/13

dacan13 wrote:
I don't think any anime is restricted to a certain country, at least not as a premium member. Never used Crunchyroll for free, would go insane if i had to watch all of the ads. + HD is nice..

Yes, regional restrictions also apply for premium members, although for some series they are less restrictive.

21503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 1/9/13 , edited 1/9/13

Tekrelious wrote:

On another website I browse which discusses anime but where posting illegal links goes unpunished the people there laugh when I mention I have a CR account. In their mind, if you want to support anime you should steal it then buy figures and music if you like it.

That's just crap. I'm not here to support the anime industry directly, I'm here to support the localization of anime. The translators and coders and whatnot who bring anime to us online. Don't support them and the whole localization indurstry collapses. Just look at fansubs of Saint October, Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime, or Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream to see why we cannot depend on fansubbers alone. We need Crunchyroll.

So it bothers me not just the attitudes of the people who steal it but when I find sites blatently disregarding copyright.

Anyway, I just did a google search for Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan because I was curious about the voice actors in it and the first page was a link to Wikipedia, and an entire page of anime streaming sites with the episodes online.

What can I, or we if others join me, do about this? Is there a way to report it to CR? Would it make a difference? Being the NA/English copyright holders they can pursue legal action but I've learned that in many cases such sites are ignored.


Can I kill you? No - seriously. Die. The majority of anime isn't on any streaming service anyone can pay for - those sites are the only way for us to get those materials and you would have them gone because you got insulted in another forum? Cause I really doubt you care for copy right laws - they prevent us consumers from enjoying products fully. Copy right laws are total shit for us.

The people you claim to be stealing are buying DVD's, figures, mangas, subscription to anime magazines, and spreading the word on how awesome anime is. That's a lot more support then most people around here.

And I used to laugh at CR members too. You can torrent this crap for free at the same quality - but I got tired of doing so and since I've hardly supported the industry I thought paying a minimal income here would be the least I could do.

Also CR got an app for the PS3 :D :D

You dont have to die btw- I just like the dramatic effect lol
The Wise Wizard
76601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/9/13 , edited 1/9/13

SoTa_PoP wrote:
Can I kill you? No - seriously. Die. The majority of anime isn't on any streaming service anyone can pay for - those sites are the only way for us to get those materials and you would have them gone because you got insulted in another forum? Cause I really doubt you care for copy right laws - they prevent us consumers from enjoying products fully. Copy right laws are total shit for us.

The point that was made about illegal sources showing up in a search before the legal one(s) was a valid point. Google is supposed to be downranking illegal sources of material so that legal sources will appear at the top, but clearly work remains to be done there, as in the example (Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan), Crunchyroll doesn't currently show up until the 5th page of results.

"The majority of anime isn't on any streaming service anyone can pay for" is certainly true as a whole (technically, you can't even get the majority of anime on DVD), but the closer you get to the current time, the less true it is (and if you live in the United States or Canada, it isn't true at all for the past few seasons).


Are those who import discs, figures, etc. contributing more to the industry in Japan that those who just subscribe to streaming services? Very likely, but how fairly is what they spend being distributed?

If I watch anime A-G, import BD's for anime A & C, and buy merchandise related to anime B, D, & E, what about the companies that funded anime F & G? What about the companies that helped fund all the anime except A & C and expected a return on their investment via disc sales, but I didn't feel the anime was worth watching more than once?

If you look at even just the torrent numbers for most anime, it is rather clear that the majority of viewers aren't importing the discs from Japan. If you import discs for perhaps 1 out of every 10 series you watch, you may be supporting the industry, but you're rarely supporting the anime you view.

4712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/9/13
My opinion? Don't pirate anime. But movies and games? Go right ahead. In fact, please do so. Every pirated copy of CoD is a few dollars less that Activision makes. Pirating that kind of stuff is doing the world a service, is in fact making the world a better place.

Pirating anime is just doing a disservice to a very fragile industry (the anime localization industry - the anime industry is doing just fine). Now if you can't get it in your region or something like that, by all means go ahead, but virtually no one in the US has the slightest reason to pirate anime.

As for me, I get my everything legally.
9974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / San Diego, USA
Offline
Posted 1/9/13

Tekrelious wrote:
...if you want to support anime you should steal it then buy figures and music if you like it.


Wat.
18056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/9/13
All in all it depends on the person.

There are many places to catch a stream, for me crunchyroll offers reliability and convenience.
And the way they work with the various studios and companies is really nice as well.

If someone wants to do something illegally, that is their choice and what happens is what happens.

12109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
63 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/9/13
I used to download, but that was before CR-legal was around. I watched CR for about a month before joining and I'm glad I did. I'd rather spend my time watching then downloading.

As far as supporting the industry, ok but I have one concern. That is the commercialism of certain genre that sells because it's popular for certain demograhic age group. I don't like the high school, middle school student animes and rarely watch them. I would like to see more mature, intellectually and otherwise, anime offered as well by CR if possible. And just to be clear I'm not talking about sex specificaly, just a mature story line. Maybe a mature section for CR?

I also watch what I can't find here on hulu, but won't buy a subscript.
18180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/10/13

TheAncientOne wrote:


dacan13 wrote:
I don't think any anime is restricted to a certain country, at least not as a premium member. Never used Crunchyroll for free, would go insane if i had to watch all of the ads. + HD is nice..

Yes, regional restrictions also apply for premium members, although for some series they are less restrictive.




Are you certain? I have yet to encounter any regional restrictions. And since i'm a paying customer, i would get a bit pissed if they block the anime i want to.
17220 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/10/13
My motto is, if there's a good option to support, support. That's why I've used Crunchyroll, Best Buy, Amazon, etc for my anime support, but sometimes, you don't have a good option. I want to support Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's anime because I loved the manga and am loving the anime, but nobody's licensed it to my knowledge (I can imagine why, but it sucks), so I have to get it where I can. Hoping for either Crunchyroll (for subs) or Funimation (as I could imagine them doing a glorious dub), but odds aren't looking good right now for that.
22993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 1/10/13 , edited 1/10/13
If I cant find something on CR then I will torrent it.
However if I really enjoy the series then I will get a legit copy ASAP.
Also becsuse of region restrictions I have to use a VPN to get some of the stuff I want out of crunchyroll.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.