First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Illegal links for anime
13250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 7/13/13

Tekrelious wrote:

Oh, by the way spectralMagician? You people who steal anime don't buy DVDs either. Remember Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha? HUGE fan favorite, lots of people downloading the show and watching it so they bring it over to the US and .... surprise surprise it sells under 500 copies and loses Funimation thousands of dollars.

Why?

Because you have to sell to the people that DON'T download the show and a show with Magical Girl in the title is instant death on American retail shelves. So despite the fact that fans in the US loved it almost none of them went out to actually buy and support the show. So no, don't feed me garbage.


Dude, come on. Let's chill out a little bit. Your jimjohns are beyond bristled.

4959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/13/13
To add a point, fan subs have way more flexibility than sites like Crunchyroll.

For me:
Fansubs for new releases
Crunchyroll to watch finished shows
14296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / houston
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
tell me, if you stream a new release, from a fansub that isnt licensed, how does that hurt a japanese company that is only selling in japan. you cant count the income of a person who never had the intention of buying.
1161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

moestheman wrote:

tell me, if you stream a new release, from a fansub that isnt licensed, how does that hurt a japanese company that is only selling in japan. you cant count the income of a person who never had the intention of buying.


What about releases that are licensed yet are still streamed by fansubs?


38660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

moestheman wrote:

tell me, if you stream a new release, from a fansub that isnt licensed, how does that hurt a japanese company that is only selling in japan. you cant count the income of a person who never had the intention of buying.


I have no problem with that at all since the company in Japan has given you no choice but to find fansubs. That was the original intention of fansubs, to allow fans a means to watch a show when they had no other way of finding it. Most fansubbers now have stopped fansubbing what won't be released and instead just fansubbing what's popular. Those fansubbers have lost all of their integrity.
38660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

spectralMagician wrote:


Tekrelious wrote:

Oh, by the way spectralMagician? You people who steal anime don't buy DVDs either. Remember Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha? HUGE fan favorite, lots of people downloading the show and watching it so they bring it over to the US and .... surprise surprise it sells under 500 copies and loses Funimation thousands of dollars.

Why?

Because you have to sell to the people that DON'T download the show and a show with Magical Girl in the title is instant death on American retail shelves. So despite the fact that fans in the US loved it almost none of them went out to actually buy and support the show. So no, don't feed me garbage.


Dude, come on. Let's chill out a little bit. Your jimjohns are beyond bristled.



I have every right to be upset because people like you are hurting the anime localization industry.
29359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Livingston, Louis...
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
This is the kind of shit that comes with a task like, say, creating a giant never-ending cycle of a device that is now collectively known as the Internet. Pirating, torrents, raunchy videos that are past what the law permits, it's open season, and as long as people are stupid, lazy, and cheap as Hell, this shit will continue. It WILL NOT stop.

Say you tear down a ton of illegal sites. You have the overly cautious people who backed up all the downloads of videos and pictures from tons of said sites, and boom, the illegal trades of the Internet are up and running again.

I understand your feelings on the matter, and from my semi-pessimistic attitude, there is nothing much we can do. We can keep supporting sites like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, and others that sub and dub in English, like Funimation, and only hope that the culture spreads and less and less will pirate or go illegal. But it is inevitable that as long as there is a short cut, at the very least one person will take that shortcut over the better legal route. On the up side, Crunchyroll's methods of business enable better quality on their series, no broken links, and almost seamless video streaming. Guess who used to have shitfits when looking for the latest Naruto trying to find a site without broken links or endless buffering? Well, Crunchyroll doesn't give me that shit.

All we can really do is preach, hope that people take up after us more and more, and eventually we'll get localizations. In the current state, localization of animes take longer, because business on America's side is slower in that field and causes more hesitation on the localizers' side. "People wanna pirate the anime, well, I guess our work's not worth enough for us to translate it into English on our own." I think maybe that's some of what goes on in the localization team's minds.
1161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

Zachman wrote:

This is the kind of shit that comes with a task like, say, creating a giant never-ending cycle of a device that is now collectively known as the Internet. Pirating, torrents, raunchy videos that are past what the law permits, it's open season, and as long as people are stupid, lazy, and cheap as Hell, this shit will continue. It WILL NOT stop.

Say you tear down a ton of illegal sites. You have the overly cautious people who backed up all the downloads of videos and pictures from tons of said sites, and boom, the illegal trades of the Internet are up and running again.

I understand your feelings on the matter, and from my semi-pessimistic attitude, there is nothing much we can do. We can keep supporting sites like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, and others that sub and dub in English, like Funimation, and only hope that the culture spreads and less and less will pirate or go illegal. But it is inevitable that as long as there is a short cut, at the very least one person will take that shortcut over the better legal route. On the up side, Crunchyroll's methods of business enable better quality on their series, no broken links, and almost seamless video streaming. Guess who used to have shitfits when looking for the latest Naruto trying to find a site without broken links or endless buffering? Well, Crunchyroll doesn't give me that shit.

All we can really do is preach, hope that people take up after us more and more, and eventually we'll get localizations. In the current state, localization of animes take longer, because business on America's side is slower in that field and causes more hesitation on the localizers' side. "People wanna pirate the anime, well, I guess our work's not worth enough for us to translate it into English on our own." I think maybe that's some of what goes on in the localization team's minds.



Now I'm not saying this is possible to implement within our lifetime (or if ever) but would the following method work?

The U.S. government unanimously passes a new resolution and announces that any and all people involved in creating and distributing fansubs/scanlations are arrested and executed in a public showing. Japan joins the U.S. in that effort (because they're more proactive at stopping piracy than the U.S. already)

Anyone in another country is to be handed over to the U.S. government or said country will face utter annihilation (because, let's face it, no other country can match the U.S. military). Or a specially created team is sent into the country to retrieve the target in secrecy. Whichever one works.

Say you tear down a ton of illegal sites. You have the overly cautious people who backed up all the downloads of videos and pictures from tons of said sites, and boom, the illegal trades of the Internet are up and running again.

This would only apply for old stuff. If all the fansubbers/scanlators were to silently disappear one night, it would be a significant blow in new releases.

And it's more of Japan being reluctant in letting the U.S. be able to show anime. Why would you let some white guy handle the newest episode, leaving the potential of an early leak and enraging your home otaku fanbase? We saw it with Funi (One Piece) and ANN (Oreimo) which caused Japan to demand them to suspend/delay the dates for their stream.
Posted 7/14/13

TheJudged wrote:


Zachman wrote:

This is the kind of shit that comes with a task like, say, creating a giant never-ending cycle of a device that is now collectively known as the Internet. Pirating, torrents, raunchy videos that are past what the law permits, it's open season, and as long as people are stupid, lazy, and cheap as Hell, this shit will continue. It WILL NOT stop.

Say you tear down a ton of illegal sites. You have the overly cautious people who backed up all the downloads of videos and pictures from tons of said sites, and boom, the illegal trades of the Internet are up and running again.

I understand your feelings on the matter, and from my semi-pessimistic attitude, there is nothing much we can do. We can keep supporting sites like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, and others that sub and dub in English, like Funimation, and only hope that the culture spreads and less and less will pirate or go illegal. But it is inevitable that as long as there is a short cut, at the very least one person will take that shortcut over the better legal route. On the up side, Crunchyroll's methods of business enable better quality on their series, no broken links, and almost seamless video streaming. Guess who used to have shitfits when looking for the latest Naruto trying to find a site without broken links or endless buffering? Well, Crunchyroll doesn't give me that shit.

All we can really do is preach, hope that people take up after us more and more, and eventually we'll get localizations. In the current state, localization of animes take longer, because business on America's side is slower in that field and causes more hesitation on the localizers' side. "People wanna pirate the anime, well, I guess our work's not worth enough for us to translate it into English on our own." I think maybe that's some of what goes on in the localization team's minds.



Now I'm not saying this is possible to implement within our lifetime (or if ever) but would the following method work?

The U.S. government unanimously passes a new resolution and announces that any and all people involved in creating and distributing fansubs/scanlations are arrested and executed in a public showing. Japan joins the U.S. in that effort (because they're more proactive at stopping piracy than the U.S. already)

Anyone in another country is to be handed over to the U.S. government or said country will face utter annihilation (because, let's face it, no other country can match the U.S. military). Or a specially created team is sent into the country to retrieve the target in secrecy. Whichever one works.


Why does it have to be the US? Why can't it be an officially organized individual global police built of multiple nations?

Also, thats highly extreme, that would never take place as said.
176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / England
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
I like Crunchyroll, but honestly the range of anime it shows is limited. Optionally I would prefer to support Anime industry obviously, but I want to watch shows that aren't available here. As for policing the internet, screw that noise.
4431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / ICQ: 114629959
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

EvilNinjedi wrote:
As for policing the internet, screw that noise.


+1
29359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Livingston, Louis...
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

TheJudged wrote:


Zachman wrote:

This is the kind of shit that comes with a task like, say, creating a giant never-ending cycle of a device that is now collectively known as the Internet. Pirating, torrents, raunchy videos that are past what the law permits, it's open season, and as long as people are stupid, lazy, and cheap as Hell, this shit will continue. It WILL NOT stop.

Say you tear down a ton of illegal sites. You have the overly cautious people who backed up all the downloads of videos and pictures from tons of said sites, and boom, the illegal trades of the Internet are up and running again.

I understand your feelings on the matter, and from my semi-pessimistic attitude, there is nothing much we can do. We can keep supporting sites like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, and others that sub and dub in English, like Funimation, and only hope that the culture spreads and less and less will pirate or go illegal. But it is inevitable that as long as there is a short cut, at the very least one person will take that shortcut over the better legal route. On the up side, Crunchyroll's methods of business enable better quality on their series, no broken links, and almost seamless video streaming. Guess who used to have shitfits when looking for the latest Naruto trying to find a site without broken links or endless buffering? Well, Crunchyroll doesn't give me that shit.

All we can really do is preach, hope that people take up after us more and more, and eventually we'll get localizations. In the current state, localization of animes take longer, because business on America's side is slower in that field and causes more hesitation on the localizers' side. "People wanna pirate the anime, well, I guess our work's not worth enough for us to translate it into English on our own." I think maybe that's some of what goes on in the localization team's minds.



Now I'm not saying this is possible to implement within our lifetime (or if ever) but would the following method work?

The U.S. government unanimously passes a new resolution and announces that any and all people involved in creating and distributing fansubs/scanlations are arrested and executed in a public showing. Japan joins the U.S. in that effort (because they're more proactive at stopping piracy than the U.S. already)

Anyone in another country is to be handed over to the U.S. government or said country will face utter annihilation (because, let's face it, no other country can match the U.S. military). Or a specially created team is sent into the country to retrieve the target in secrecy. Whichever one works.

Say you tear down a ton of illegal sites. You have the overly cautious people who backed up all the downloads of videos and pictures from tons of said sites, and boom, the illegal trades of the Internet are up and running again.

This would only apply for old stuff. If all the fansubbers/scanlators were to silently disappear one night, it would be a significant blow in new releases.

And it's more of Japan being reluctant in letting the U.S. be able to show anime. Why would you let some white guy handle the newest episode, leaving the potential of an early leak and enraging your home otaku fanbase? We saw it with Funi (One Piece) and ANN (Oreimo) which caused Japan to demand them to suspend/delay the dates for their stream.


I admire your passion in this. But no. Save the executions for people who actually deserve them, which is pretty much three fourths of our own prison system.

Honestly, if we were to police the Internet (fat fucking chance), then I'd be more satisifed with destroying their computers and restricting Internet. Kinda like SOPA, but it's restricted to those who are the very reason it would exist. Punish the leaders not the followers, ya know.

The deal with fansubbers can be equated with anything an any field. Take video game translators. Get rid of the current ones and a new generation will spring up. In essence, as long as there are asses waiting to leech, there will be morons who will do all the work and never receive anything. Even if you destroyed EVERY and I mean EVERY fansubbing group out there, the way the Internet works would ensure society has more translated hentai and anime coming their ways. Sure, you'd bring everything to do with fansubs to a halt, a screeching one at that, but things would still resume themselves eventually.

Then again, SOPA has been pushed for a passing twice so far (I think) since its introduction, so Internet policing like you say, however extreme it may be, is never impossible. It's highly unlikely, but my graduating high school was highly unlikely, so there ya go.
33268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Kentucky
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
What's the OP doing on a site/place like that talking to those kinds of people when you have this awesome site and community in the first place. I've grown so attached to this site that talking about anime anywhere else would feel out of place.
16354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 7/14/13

TheJudged wrote:


jamesistewart wrote:

I understand that other sites may have illegal links and I get that it doesn't help the industry etc. however many countries would hardly have any anime if they were not there I mean America is pretty lucky as they get a lot of licencing for Crunchyroll not to mention that Funimation is not available anywhere except America so other countries would be pretty much screwed without them, I mean I would happily pay for Funimation as well if it was in the UK and also released anime that Crunchyroll didn't. Also all the OVA's you miss out on a good example being TWGOK had it's OVA arc which leads into the new season and people would have no clue what is going on.


You guys in the UK have your own streaming service. The failure is the poor organizational skills you fans have in letting those legal services know what anime to license.

And for the TWGOK case, by now, you should already know whether or not you like the series enough to want the OVA, in which it is infinitly easier to obtain (same with anime/manga/CDs in general) than video games.


1. The UK fan base is tiny compared to that of America nothing much anyone can do about that.
2. The small fan base means that since there is not as much an interest in Anime overall in this country and others, the Anime producers not crunchyroll get the right to say where the Anime can be Broadcast and if they don't see many as many fans as they want they can say no which believe it or not happens.
3. You think it is easy to acquire OVA's, Anime etc. because you can get it easily when I buy blu-ray for Anime I have to go through all the sh*t of making sure it isn't region locked and all that crap because once again the UK doesn't get as much Anime because of the smaller Fan base, I mean if you think it is easy come to the UK and buy all your Anime etc. and see how "easy" it is then especially where I live.
Infinitely easier to buy than video games is utter bull I can easily purchase a video game in comparison to Anime etc.
16999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Brisbane, The Lan...
Offline
Posted 7/14/13
I mostly just derive satisfaction from giving something back to the industry in some way. Even when an anime I'm looking for is impossible to view legitimately I always have my merc and subs as a kind of moral base to fall back upon.

Disregarding that point entirely, Crunchyroll offers an excellent service and attracts a friendly community. Happy to be here
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.