Entry to Japan
Posted 1/9/13
Hi there,

First off, I'm obviously new around here. While I am not new to Crunchyroll, the forums and premium membership are new for me! XD

For my first post, I wanted to get a big question out of the way. This is particularly aimed for those who have visted and/or live within Japan.

I have dreamed about visiting Japan for years now. It has to be the most fascinating place on earth to me. However, I fear there might be problems that could prevent me from visiting.

Its my understanding that through much research, Japan has very strict criminal laws put in place, not just for the natives, but for foreigners as well. And I'm happy to see Japan crack down on criminal activity. However, this concerns me as my own eligibility could be at stake.

You see, I made the unfortunate and poor decision of operating a motor vehicle without a valid license some time ago. Its something I deeply regret. And now I am concerned that when I approach Immigration, (customs) they will turn me away because of it. It scares me to think that a long time dream and my studies in the Japanese language was single handedly crushed by my poor choice.

While I know you all can't give me a definitive answer, what do you believe they would do in my situation? Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks for any and all help!
210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/9/13
I think you'll find a better answer on official websites.

I was able to find this :


Q8 What are the requirements to become a permanent resident?
A.
For applicants who wish to become a permanent resident, Immigration Control Act stipulates the two requirements: "The alien's behavior and conduct must be good"; and "The alien must have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living." The Act further states "the Minister of Justice may grant permission only when he deems.... that his permanent residence will be in accordance with the interests of Japan."
Let us first explain the aforementioned two requirements. According to Immigration Control Act, these two requirements "do not have to be fulfilled in the case of spouses or children of Japanese nationals, those who have Permanent Residence status or those who are special permanent residents." As these aliens have obviously taken root in Japan, Japanese lawmakers regard it proper to provide these foreign nationals with stable residence on a family basis by easing the requirements on these foreign nationals.
Applicant foreign national is regarded as behaving "good" if he/she does not have any criminal record (or does not suffer any protective measure in accordance with Juvenile Law), fulfills his/her taxpaying responsibility and other public obligations, and lives a life that would not lead to social criticism as a resident.
Applicant foreign national is deemed as having "sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living" if he/she does not pose any burden on the government in his/her daily life and is expected to live a stable future life from the viewpoint of his/her assets or abilities. In this context, even if the applicant does not meet this requirement by himself/herself, the applicant is regarded as satisfying it as long as he/she is expected to continue a stable life on a household basis including his/her parent or spouse.
In the context of the phrase "the Minister of Justice may grant permission only when he deems ...that his permanent residence will be in accordance with the interests of Japan," the applicant must be recognized as beneficial to the Japanese society and economy if the applicant is granted the permanent residence status. In making this judgment, the immigration control authority pays attentions to Japan's capacity to accept foreign nationals(such as Japan's national land conditions, or demographic trends) as well as immigration control-related circumstances at home and abroad, and other factors. Minister of Justice has a wide range of discretion in making judgment on if or not he will grant permanent residence status to foreign nationals.


source

Contact an immigration office and I wish you all the luck !
Posted 1/9/13
Well I wasn't exactly planning on moving there. lol. I was more referring to the customs officers that allow you to come in and out of the country.
210 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 1/9/13
Oops, kinda misread your message
I don't think you will be asked about since it's not a huge crime. Ask the travel center ?
Posted 1/10/13
I didn't think it was that big of deal, either, as I know they are mostly only concerned with drug and murder related crimes. However, I just wanted some extra opinions before I spent all that money to travel there.
16330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / MN
Offline
Posted 1/10/13
I thought you had to apply for and receive a visa prior to traveling there. Your background would have been searched and approved prior to the visa being issued to you.
16108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/10/13

mamertine wrote:

I thought you had to apply for and receive a visa prior to traveling there. Your background would have been searched and approved prior to the visa being issued to you.


The US and Japan have an accord in place so that for up to 90 days of travel per year with no travel visa required.

As for the OP, I personally know someone that has a misdemeanor on their record and was still able to (with an extended process) get a school visa and is there now studying.

Also, you can contact the customs department of whichever airport in Japan you would be entering through and email them directly on the issue.
Posted 1/10/13 , edited 1/10/13

taonas wrote:


mamertine wrote:

I thought you had to apply for and receive a visa prior to traveling there. Your background would have been searched and approved prior to the visa being issued to you.


The US and Japan have an accord in place so that for up to 90 days of travel per year with no travel visa required.

As for the OP, I personally know someone that has a misdemeanor on their record and was still able to (with an extended process) get a school visa and is there now studying.

Also, you can contact the customs department of whichever airport in Japan you would be entering through and email them directly on the issue.


That's interesting. I can't say I have ever read about this "extended process thing." But it certainly makes me feel much better about my chances, especially if all I'm doing (initially) is just visiting.

Also, I can't say I know where to even start looking for contact information for the customs department. I would imagine the contact websites are in Japanese, and with my limited Japanese skills, that might prove to be difficult. lol. I was considering just entering through Tokyo lost most everyone else does, also.
16108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/10/13 , edited 1/10/13

RedYellowBlueBlast wrote:


taonas wrote:


mamertine wrote:

I thought you had to apply for and receive a visa prior to traveling there. Your background would have been searched and approved prior to the visa being issued to you.


The US and Japan have an accord in place so that for up to 90 days of travel per year with no travel visa required.

As for the OP, I personally know someone that has a misdemeanor on their record and was still able to (with an extended process) get a school visa and is there now studying.

Also, you can contact the customs department of whichever airport in Japan you would be entering through and email them directly on the issue.


That's interesting. I can't say I have ever read about this "extended process thing." But it certainly makes me feel much better about my chances, especially if all I'm doing (initially) is just visiting.

Also, I can't say I know where to even start looking for contact information for the customs department. I would imagine the contact websites are in Japanese, and with my limited Japanese skills, that might prove to be difficult. lol. I was considering just entering through Tokyo lost most everyone else does, also.


Try this site: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html

The site also has links to the US Embassies in japan that might be able to help you as well.

By "extended process", I mean he had to explain the situation to his school, and have the schools legal department vouch that he was not a risk, etc, etc...
Posted 1/11/13
That's awesome! However, I don't see any contact e-mail, just phone numbers.
Sailor Candy Moderator
163288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 6/12/13
Summer forum cleaning! To keep the forums neat and tidy we only keep 6 months worth of threads since its June 12, 2013 [6/12/13] we will keep only keep posts open from January 12, 2013 [1/12/13]. Please feel free to recreate any thread closed, as long as someone else didn't open another similar one before you.
You must be logged in to post.